Forums

Topic: Third Place Vote - Best ANIME Tournament - ONE PIECE WINS!!!

Posts 1,181 to 1,200 of 1,215

FonistofCruxis

Not surprised at all that this one. I like One piece but I don't see how its as popular as it is. Anyway, I think The melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya should have won which was the only one of my nominations that got in. Also, this tournament got me interested in Outlaw star and Angel beats. There is a lot of anime I want to watch though so I probably won't start those for a long time.

Edited on by FonistofCruxis

CommanderAudio

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So are we gonna have any other tourneys in the future, @Mickeymac?

Edited on by CommanderAudio

Fire is more fun with friends, kids!
Formerly known as PikminMonster
Choose Your Own Adventure!
3DS FC:4554-0106-9407
Let me know if you add me, but PLEASE DON'T send me spam in ...

CanisWolfred

This tourney got me to watch Trigun, which is now one of my favorite shows. It also renewed my interest in Durarara!!

I'm happy that half of my top 20 made it into the tournament and most of them made it past round 1.

I'm disappointed that half of my bottom 10 made it in, and a few of them went very far. My biggest disappointment is that none of the good Gundam shows made it in, yet Gundam Wing and Gundam 00 made it through. Seriously, people, that's the tip of the iceberg. The rest of the meta-series does every positive thing those shows did, but better. Pick any of those other series and watch them now. You won't regret it.

All in all, though, I'd say this tourney was a success.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

shingi_70

It was in the top three to win.

Maybe we should do another tourney for Cartoons or Games?

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

CanisWolfred

FonistofCruxis wrote:

Mickeymac wrote:

I'm disappointed that half of my bottom 10 made it in, and a few of them went very far.

What would they be?

Most of the Ghibli movies, Dragon Ball Z (It's a love/hate relationship), and Sailor Moon. The Ghibli movies, especially Spirited Away, went way farther than I would've liked and knocked out much better shows.

Oh well, at least End of Evangelion, Naruto, Bleach, Inuyasha, and Macross II didn't make it in.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

RR529

I'm still dissapointed InuYasha didn't even make it in

This was still fun, though.

@Mickeymac, I just saw that you're glad IY didn't make the cut. Could you elaborate on what you didn't like about it (just curious)?

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Deviant_Mugen

Was there ever any doubt? Brotherhood is good, but One Piece is One Piece...

"Don't make enemies, they'll stab your heart; don't make friends, they'll stab your back. Including me, including you, all men are trash. Don't love; don't be loved. Have nothing to do with other; live in isolation."

CanisWolfred

RR529 wrote:

@Mickeymac, I just saw that you're glad IY didn't make the cut. Could you elaborate on what you didn't like about it (just curious)?

Kagome and the repetitive, filleriffic plot killed what could've been an interesting show. I stuck with it for as long as I could, but I just ended up being heavily disappointed by it. It's pretty much Bleach, except...nope, it's pretty much Bleach. Funny how there's always a replacement for a popular show waiting in the wings...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

FonistofCruxis

Mickeymac wrote:

FonistofCruxis wrote:

Mickeymac wrote:

I'm disappointed that half of my bottom 10 made it in, and a few of them went very far.

[/div]

What would they be?

[/div]

Most of the Ghibli movies, Dragon Ball Z (It's a love/hate relationship), and Sailor Moon. The Ghibli movies, especially Spirited Away, went way farther than I would've liked and knocked out much better shows.

Oh well, at least End of Evangelion, Naruto, Bleach, Inuyasha, and Macross II didn't make it in.

I like Spirited away but I guess it might be too weird for some. I remember you saying that you didn't like Naruto but then gave it a second chance. I guess you didn't like it that time either. What don't you like about it?

kkslider5552000

Mickeymac wrote:

RR529 wrote:

[/div]

Kagome and the repetitive, filleriffic plot killed what could've been an interesting show. I stuck with it for as long as I could, but I just ended up being heavily disappointed by it. It's pretty much Bleach, except...nope, it's pretty much Bleach. Funny how there's always a replacement for a popular show waiting in the wings...

to me it was like Bleach except it started sucking in record time (although that might be because my experience with the anime was in the middle of its AS run)

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

CanisWolfred

FonistofCruxis wrote:

I remember you saying that you didn't like Naruto but then gave it a second chance. I guess you didn't like it that time either. What don't you like about it?

It's disappointing in nearly every area. It really had potential, and it really tried, but it never lived up to it, and just ended up being another Dragon Ball Z, albeit with more plot.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

kkslider5552000

Naruto's major problem is that they threw everything awesome into the first 3 seasons and ran out of awesome way too quickly.

And also might be one of the best examples ever of why being consistent with who the main characters are is not always a good idea.

RR529

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Mickeymac wrote:

RR529 wrote:

[/div]

[/div]

[/div]

to me it was like Bleach except it started sucking in record time (although that might be because my experience with the anime was in the middle of its AS run)

I'm sorry, I have to disagree when you compare it to Bleach. If I hadn't read about about what is and isn't filler in IY, I wouldn't have ever known the difference. The quality in story and animation never wavered that much between the two from what I could notice, unlike Bleach, where the animation quality has an obvious laziness during the filler segments. Also, unlike Bleach's marathon filler sagas, the filler in IY seemed more peppered throughout, and never strayed too far from the series' themes (heck, the whole Band of Seven saga, which is canon, felt more out of place than any of the filler), unlike Bleach's filler. Also, at least they make the filler fit, again unlike Bleach, which actually up and tells you what you're about to watch for the next 20-40 episodes doesn't even matter.

As for Kagome, I agree that her character didn't mature quick enough (she really didn't mature until the Final Act, I believe), but I always thought that was a minor annoyance.

Oh well, different opinions I suppose, but the comparison to Bleach is just a tad harsh, IMO.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

kkslider5552000

no you missed the point

The canon of both (latter canon for Bleach) isn't good either. This is obvious if you compare it to any memorable shonen series ever.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

RR529

kkslider5552000 wrote:

no you missed the point

The canon of both (latter canon for Bleach) isn't good either. This is obvious if you compare it to any memorable shonen series ever.

But what about it's canon is bad? It's a little different, that's for sure (since it's not just fight after fight after fight), but I always thought that made it more unique.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

kkslider5552000

Inyasha is a personal preference but I watched like 30+ episodes of it and it was just a slow decent into hatred. I mean, it's a mediocre at best anime where nothing ever happens that is basically a neverending cycle of the same stories over and over again and does nothing better than any popular shonen anime I could pick out at random, but I have this undescribeable hatred for this anime that I've not had for any series before or since.

It does amuse me that both my favorite and least favorite anime are adaptations of long running Shonen Sunday manga that love Status Quo is God.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

RR529

I guess we're just going to have to agree to disagree on the matter, and I'll stop pushing it

One thing still eludes me, however. The show was obviously big at one point (it was a huge hit on AS, and at one point I believe fans would actually riot on AS's website if they were planning on taking it off the schedule), and I doubt it's fans just stopped liking it, but I'm the only person I know who likes it (seems like others haven't heard of it, or hate it). Is it possible that the majority of IY's fans don't watch, or aren't interested in other anime? I'd find that hard to believe, but I literally have never run into anyone else who likes it (or knows about it), so I don't know what else to think.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.