Forums

Topic: Movie thread.

Posts 3,481 to 3,500 of 6,572

jump

I'm not sure people realize how boycotts works, if you are using one product from Disney but not paying for another product from them then it's not really a boycott. Also food for thought, boycotts are really just cancel culture.

I never understood why people obsess over Disney so much. If you love Disney great but there so much misery and complaining all the time. It just seems exhausting to manufacture outrage at remakes of some 100 year old movie and being disgusted with Hulks who are females when you don't need to watch them. Just step out of your Disney shaped comfort zone as there are literally hundreds of other legit amazeballs shows/movies which so many people have sincere enthusiasm so why not join them instead of aduts trying to keep up this unhealthy bitterness towards a company that makes things for the kiddies.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Maxenmus

jump wrote:

I'm not sure people realize how boycotts works, if you are using one product from Disney but not paying for another product from them then it's not really a boycott. Also food for thought, boycotts are really just cancel culture.

I never understood why people obsess over Disney so much. If you love Disney great but there so much misery and complaining all the time. It just seems exhausting to manufacture outrage at remakes of some 100 year old movie and being disgusted with Hulks who are females when you don't need to watch them. Just step out of your Disney shaped comfort zone as there are literally hundreds of other legit amazeballs shows/movies which so many people have sincere enthusiasm so why not join them instead of aduts trying to keep up this unhealthy bitterness towards a company that makes things for the kiddies.

I never understood why people feel obligated to defend billion dollar companies who don't care about your white-knighting. It's the equivalent of putting celebrities on a pedestal, like what we talked about. I don't really have problems calling out on a shady company like Disney on their BS. A forum is a suitable place for me to express my feelings and annoyance, especially towards a faceless corporation full of billionaires that don't really care about the average working-class people. And if you don't like a show or what its content stands for, I don't personally believe that you should join herds of fandom no matter how enthusiastic they might be about the show. Otherwise, I would be among one of those countless people who made those Transformers films so profitable. I think people should make up their own mind what games or shows they like.

Also, food for thought: expressing your annoyance on an Internet forum, hoping people could empathize and see where you're coming from, isn't boycotting and not part of cancel culture, so I don't know where that came from.

Finally, I think people tend to obsess over Disney all the time because they're literally everywhere nowadays. Their marketing team ensured that. They made sure that they're known on a global scale, so you can't blame people for eventually speaking out about things they dislike about their shows. People are allowed to express an opinion, even if it's one you vehemently disagree with, unless of course, you're trying to boycott them and silence their opinions, contributing to the cancel culture you so enthusiastically called out on. Besides, I think the billionaires at Disney are grown up enough that the opinions of Internet users shouldn't really dictate whether a company or one of their products should be "cancelled." That's their decision and responsibility to make.

Edited on by Maxenmus

Maxenmus

Switch Friend Code: SW-7926-2339-9775 | 3DS Friend Code: 3539-9678-8621 | My Nintendo: Flare | Nintendo Network ID: OriusPrime

jump

Maxenmus, you can't both block me and talk to me at the same time. That's not how conversations work and defeats the spirit of you blocking me in the first place.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Maxenmus

jump wrote:

Maxenmus, you can't both block me and talk to me at the same time. That's not how conversations work and defeats the spirit of you blocking me in the first place.

Bruh, please. You've blocked me and indirectly called out on my recent posts of Disney-shaming and She-Hulk boycotting. People living in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

I've reported your recent activity to @antdickens anyway. Let him handle it.

Maxenmus

Switch Friend Code: SW-7926-2339-9775 | 3DS Friend Code: 3539-9678-8621 | My Nintendo: Flare | Nintendo Network ID: OriusPrime

Mioaionios

I love Disney and wouldn't be able to live without them.
That might sound hyperbolic but it's true.

Yes they make a lot of cash-grabs, exploiting nostalgia and such, but they're the best in the business when it comes to escapism. And with everything going on in the world, I have a strong need for escapism.

As someone who suffers from bipolar and anxiety disorders, Disney has often been a true blessing for me. From their animated movies by Disney Animation and Pixar to their superhero movies and live action originals like Timmy Failure or the remake of Pete's Dragon... they give me comfort and hope that humanity's not all that bad, you know?

No, not all of their movies are great, and I too have some serious issues with most of their live-action remakes but they also make some stellar original family entertainment that fills my heart with joy.
What's wrong with that?

Edited on by Mioaionios

Mioaionios

Maxenmus

Mioaionios wrote:

I love Disney and wouldn't be able to live without them.
That might sound hyperbolic but it's true.

Yes they make a lot of cash-grabs, exploiting nostalgia and such, but they're the best in the business when it comes to escapism. And with everything going on in the world, I have a strong need for escapism.

As someone who suffers from bipolar and anxiety disorders, Disney has often been a true blessing for me. From their animated movies by Disney Animation and Pixar to their superhero movies and live action originals like Timmy Failure or the remake of Pete's Dragon... they give me comfort and hope that humanity's not all that bad, you know?

No, not all of their movies are great, and I too have some serious issues with most of their live-action remakes but they also make some stellar original family entertainment that fills my heart with joy.
What's wrong with that?

Ten years ago, I would've agreed with you. It's not that I don't see why the escapism can be helpful. Heck, I've made an entire post on another thread defending escapism made by a company that's just as scummy (if not more, since Mark Zuckerberg has actually been accused in court of creating a monopoly with his company, unlike Disney), Mark Zuckerberg's Facebook and his Metaverse. I was someone like that too, someone who was seduced by the magical façade of their films, blissful about the reality of life. And this isn't the first time I've had a conversation with someone about the importance of escapism either. I've had the same conversation when I criticized Transformers films and other shallow Hollywood films, and I was reminded that people need their escapism. I get it.

But I think that when it comes to Disney's seduction of the youth, that triggers me a lot more because kids are involved. Facebook probably doesn't differentiate between children and adults when it comes to their aggressive marketing techniques, but Disney's direct target audience has always been children. I get that they're "family films" for the young and old, but their marketing has always been focused on the "innocent Disney magic" that they know children would buy into because they lack the cynicism of adults. And they know kids will ask their parents to buy their merch and pay tickets for their films, regardless of how hollow their out-of-place nostalgia-bait might be, regardless of how those live action remakes take the kids' attention away from the original animation. The fact that a bunch of old businessmen sit in a boardroom, thinking about how to make more money out of kids, that's a disgusting image no matter how you spin it.

And really, when it comes down to it, this isn't even about the quality of their films at all. This is about me criticizing a company that made films you like, and you called me out for it, asking "What's wrong with that," when I could ask you the same: "What's wrong with feeling annoyed about a company you find to be unjust?" I never said people were wrong to like Disney films, I said people shouldn't really put Disney, the company, not their movies, on a pedestal, because as we all should know by now, there have been plenty of shady misconducts behind the company, so it's not really a company worth celebrating or even defending.

Edited on by Maxenmus

Maxenmus

jump

Maxy, you still got me on block...

After a few pages of Disney is terrible this and that, me saying folk should try watching non-Disney shows/movies if they are that upset with Disney is not me defending them. It's me saying "it's better to light a candle than to curse the darkness" as there's so many great shows and films out there it's very easy to not watch Disney at all as plenty of people don't watch Disney.

White knighting, putting people on pedestals, the working class, people being forced to like something etc has nothing to do with what I said.

Kermit is talking about using Disney+ plus but avoiding the parks, nothing to do with you.

Me talking to others in a different thread a week who are not you about She Hulk is not me She Hulk/Disney shaming you.

Nicolai wrote:

Mioaionios

Try to be known for the things you love, not the things you hate.

Mioaionios

Maxenmus

Mioaionios wrote:

I think I would rather be known as being true to my feelings rather than sidestepping everything I say to please other people.

Maxenmus

Mioaionios

@Maxenmus
I think it's OK to voice criticism about something, I do it too, but I do it by way of saying something wasn't for me or why I didn't like something and leave it at that. I don't go on and on for pages about the same subject. Nobody reads those walls of text anyway, especially not when it has a negative undertone because it's exhausting to do so.

Again, it's fine to voice criticism, but try not to be so obsessive about it.

Mioaionios

Anti-Matter

@Maxenmus
I personally still like some Disney stuffs and movies, not all. I have some Disney games as well on consoles and handhelds.
I still selective to choose the Disney movies I want to watch. If the movies are good enough, I will get the physical media, but if it wasn't I will forget them and moved on.
Also, nothing wrong for adult peoples to enjoy the "innocence Disney magic".

Anti-Matter

Maxenmus

Mioaionios wrote:

@Maxenmus
I think it's OK to voice criticism about something, I do it too, but I do it by way of saying something wasn't for me or why I didn't like something and leave it at that. I don't go on and on for pages about the same subject. Nobody reads those walls of text anyway, especially not when it has a negative undertone because it's exhausting to do so.

Again, it's fine to voice criticism, but try not to be so obsessive about it.

I was responding to other people. I didn't "go on and on for pages" ranting on my own. I was sharing my point of view in a conversation with other people, namely HotGoomba and Kermit1. It's fine that you find my criticisms of that shady corporation bothersome, but I feel like I didn't do anything wrong at all and was having a normal conversation with others until you and jump got upset.

Anti-Matter wrote:

Also, nothing wrong for adult peoples to enjoy the "innocence Disney magic".

Nothing wrong with that at all. I didn't say there's anything wrong with that. I said that I didn't like how impressionable young minds were groomed to worship the company and its brand.

Edited on by Maxenmus

Maxenmus

Kermit1doesmath

Mioaionios wrote:

"Treat others how you want to be treated", trust me it's true. Kindness goes along way.

I live life by those 2 things.

Edited on by Kermit1doesmath

dysgraphia awareness human

Mioaionios

Kermit1 wrote:

"Treat others how you want to be treated"

I also try to live by that standard. I do a lot of volunteer work for instance.

I learned a lot about the Lumière brothers, Georges Méliès and early filmmaking in general from Martin Scorsese's Hugo. Love that film!

Mioaionios

jump

Maxy, it kinda feels like you're reaching as nothing I said was policing, I didn't threaten to report people, I didn't throw the rules around, I didn't demand people to stop etc.

I do get I am such a fabulous poster that even the users who put me on their ignore lists are still invested in what I have to say it however does make it very hard to have a conversation. You are gonna need to take me off the ignore list so we can talk or you need to actually ignore me as this is very silly.

Nicolai wrote:

Sunsy

jump wrote:

As someone who loves Disney movies, as well as other kid/family friendly animated movies and shows, I can't help but agree with this. I often see complaining online, and I see it going nowhere as said company just doesn't change. It's fine having opinions on a company or movie, but complaining about it seems to go nowhere from what I've seen.

It's also important to remember, like it or not, Disney's target is today's kids. Much like they targeted me when I was a kid. Also, this does not mean the movies can only be enjoyed by kids. I'm an adult, and I still love family friendly animated movies, Disney ones and ones not by Disney. Guess I'm young at heart.

Not to mention my favorite animated movie series isn't even a Disney-made series.

The resident Trolls superfan! Saw Trolls Band Together via early access and absolutely loved it!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic