Forums

Topic: Movie thread.

Posts 3,461 to 3,480 of 6,552

jump

No mention of My Life As A Courgette, the critically acclaimed sweet and brightly colour stop motion film about an abused child who kills his Mum and then gets sent to an orphanage?

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

jump

@Kermit1 Probably, there's no bewbs or naughty word in it.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Kermit1doesmath

Maxenmus wrote:

Of course, it helps that I really, really hate Disney and all that it stands for. Its use of childhood innocence to capitalize on an entire generation of paying customers is pretty disgusting

I mean I use Disney+ just for the old live action stuff. I see what you mean, it's gross, but I will never go to a Disney park ever again. Mainly because we are pretty much living in poverty, and Universal is ten times better, it has roller-coasters (though I'd like to one day go to Canada's Wonderland)

dysgraphia awareness human

Maxenmus

@Kermit1 I used to want to visit Disneyland when I was a kid, because that seductive magic of Disney did attract my young impressionable mind, but I'm kinda grateful that we don't have Disneyland in Singapore because our land is too small. Had I grew up with Disneyland, I don't know if I would see Disney for what it is.

But it's not really the theme parks that bothers me even, but the slew of live action remakes that are blatantly cashing in on people who have seen the original animations, while also doing a worse version of those animated films. Their take on a Pinocchio live action is just their latest attempt to sell you your childhood nostalgia, much like what many, many Hollywood blockbusters have been trying to do since The Matrix: Resurrections. It's a cheap nostalgia-bait, and it's bad, lazy and uninspired filmmaking IMO, not to mention being a disgrace to the craft of filmmaking and a detriment to original films.

They also sued parents for putting Spider-Man on their dead child's tombstone because they wanted to "preserve the innocence and magic" of Disney's characters.

IT'S NOT YOUR CHARACTERS. IT'S MARVEL'S CHARACTERS.

FYI: Stan Lee would've allowed grieving parents to put Spidey on their child's tombstone. Your so-called preservation of "innocence and magic" is more about preserving your product that would make you money, a product that might risk losing money if it's on a tombstone. Just say what you really mean.

Disney isn't the "magical and innocent" company of your childhood that many would like to believe, that many children are being influenced to believe. It's an aggressive company that has cost thousands, if not millions of people their jobs by buying out less successful companies like Fox and LucasArts.

Edited on by Maxenmus

Maxenmus

Switch Friend Code: SW-7926-2339-9775 | 3DS Friend Code: 3539-9678-8621 | My Nintendo: Flare | Nintendo Network ID: OriusPrime

Kermit1doesmath

@Maxenmus it's messy. I'm choosing not to watch Disney films and remakes.

I like films like CLUE (that film is legendary), I like 50s-70s dramas, I like under the radar old films like
The Russians are coming, The Russians are coming (a freaking awesome satire), I love Jim Henson films and I like experimental short films from the 60s-70s. I sometimes don't want to watch a big boom pow bang movies.

I'm still somewhat new to TV (lol), I grew up watching the DVD's for the Muppet Show Season 3 (the Harry Belafonte episode is my favourite thing ever), Fraggle Rock was something I watched over and over again. As a kid I was a huge puppet nerd and one summer (I think I was 8) I went to the Center for Puppetry ArtsCentre and it was my dream come true seeing the real Fraggle Rock puppets on display (stuffed of course), that is the only time as a kid where I felt truly happy. When I went to DisneyWorld... It was hot, ultra busy, mediocre food and when my Mom and Aunt went back to the parks in the afternoon I stayed with my cousin and we hung out at the pool.

HotGoomba

@Sunsy I'm with @Kermit1, I'm looking forward to the stop motion Pinocchio more. Although the Disney one at least has a Pinocchio that doesn't look hideous.

Also I'm sure both movies will be better than the other Pinocchio movie that released this year.

Maxenmus wrote:

Its use of childhood innocence to capitalize on an entire generation of paying customers is pretty disgusting.

Daredevil:

But really, I get that it's a good business move and that's why they do that, so I'm not too mad at them about that. But that being said, the live-action remakes need to stop. Just make more original movies and stop hanging on to nostalgia, DISNEY.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAy there.

Kermit1doesmath

@HotGoomba have you seen their original movies... that secret society of royal or whatever it was called was one of the worst things I've ever seen. THEN DISNEY DID IT AGAIN WITH THE SAME STORY BUT IN A MAGIC FAIRY SCHOOL. they both are terrible...

Maxenmus

Kermit1 wrote:

I like films like CLUE (that film is legendary), I like 50s-70s dramas, I like under the radar old films like The Russians are coming, The Russians are coming (a freaking awesome satire), I love Jim Henson films and I like experimental short films from the 60s-70s. I sometimes don't want to watch a big boom pow bang movies.

I do feel like older films should be revisited as they were. They might not have better graphics than modern films, but they were important historic landmarks of what the culture was like back in the day, and how that culture influenced the films being made. Remaking them feels like rebuilding the Statue of Liberty and putting a Captain America shield on it... oh never mind, they already did that. Big oof.

HotGoomba wrote:

Maxenmus wrote:

Its use of childhood innocence to capitalize on an entire generation of paying customers is pretty disgusting.

Daredevil:

But really, I get that it's a good business move and that's why they do that, so I'm not too mad at them about that. But that being said, the live-action remakes need to stop. Just make more original movies and stop hanging on to nostalgia, DISNEY.

lol What about Daredevil? I'm pretty sure Netflix's Daredevil will still be better than the Disneyfied version, considering how badly of a job they did with Kingpin in the Hawkeye TV show.

It is a good business move, and I get that that's just how businesses work, but it just feels scummy to me because of certain business decisions they made, like that whole deal with the Spider-Man tombstone (giving the grieving parents some plastic card with Spidey to make up for it), and the many unnecessary live action remakes and their hollow cape flicks that are saturating the film industry, making it harder for original films to make a profit. It's not a crime they're committing, technically speaking, but you can see why I'm annoyed as a film buff (and also as a human being in regards to the tombstone one).

And it's not just Disney hanging on to nostalgia either. I wouldn't be surprised if other film studios were influenced by Disney's business practices when greenlighting their recent nostalgia-baits, including Jurassic Park: Dominion that brought back the original characters of the original trilogy. They didn't even do a good job with those characters from what I heard. Locusts? In a movie about dinosaurs? Really, Universal? Really?

Edited on by Maxenmus

Maxenmus

Switch Friend Code: SW-7926-2339-9775 | 3DS Friend Code: 3539-9678-8621 | My Nintendo: Flare | Nintendo Network ID: OriusPrime

Rambler

Kermit1 wrote:

I like experimental short films from the 60s-70s.

Knock yourself out
Link removed

Loads of Maya Deren on there
(From the 40s, though..!)

Edited on by Rambler

Rambler

Rambler

@Kermit1
Obviously I've not watched them all so cannot comment on the contents!

Rambler

HotGoomba

@Maxenmus The Disney one IS the Netflix one, but to be fair it wasn't directly made by the hands of Disney, rather ABC Signature, which is a division of ABC, which is a subsidiary of Disney.

But if you're referring to the actual characters IN the MCU, yeah they've been Disneyified, but that's what happens when you put a character from a TV-MA series in a TV-14 show on Disney+. I say on Disney+ because I'm pretty sure there are some pretty violent TV-14 shows out there. Hopefully the upcoming Disney+ Daredevil series will have some actual violence.

At least Deadpool 3 will probably be rated R, whenever that happens.

Oh but yeah, Disney as a corporation sucks. The Spider-Man tombstone and school thing was awful, their takeover of the film industry is just sad too.

But hey, at least Disney isn't throwing away people's passions off a streaming platform (cough cough, Warner Bros Discovery). I mean that's kinda because Disney barely gives them a chance in the first place, but let me have this one.

Oh and since you mentioned Jurassic World, here's a unpopular opinion: all the Jurassic World movies are bad. I haven't seen the third one, but I bet that one's bad too.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAy there.

Kermit1doesmath

@HotGoomba I liked the third Jurassic World movie more than all three Star Wars sequel movies....

I can't wait for Jurassic Land in 2028 (if they do more, I want them to go full dystopian with them)

Sunsy

@Kermit1 @HotGoomba That's fine, I had a feeling it was an unpopular opinion since most dislike Disney doing live action versions. I still love that they kept Pinocchio himself faithful to the original Disney movie, which is usually rare for animated-to-live action.

Will admit, that stop motion Pinocchio does look good too! Liking Disney's Pinocchio as a kid opened me up to other adaptations of the classic story. Also, I remember reading the Collodi family actually hated the Disney adaptation.

Kermit1 wrote:

Universal is ten times better, it has roller-coasters

While I'm not a roller coaster guy, I can't argue this. I can meet Poppy and Branch from Trolls if I went to Universal's park.

Edit: fixed live action to stop motion when referring to @Kermit1's post.

Edited on by Sunsy

The resident Trolls superfan! Saw Trolls Band Together via early access and absolutely loved it!

Maxenmus

HotGoomba wrote:

Oh and since you mentioned Jurassic World, here's a unpopular opinion: all the Jurassic World movies are bad. I haven't seen the third one, but I bet that one's bad too.

I felt like the first one at least had a potentially clever script calling out on movie remakes and reboots, but it did the Scream thing of mocking movie cliches while also having those movie cliches in the script. It mocked movie remakes for being shallow corporate decisions of cashing in on people's nostalgia, and then proceeded to have a T-Rex win the fight at the end because of said nostalgia. WHAT?!

And everything I heard about Fallen Kingdom was just terrible. lol

I feel like the first Jurassic Park had a kind of Hitchcockian thriller vibe that has never really been replicated in the sequels, even in the Spielberg-directed The Lost World: Jurassic Park, of which some parts of the movie I did like despite its notoriety. The T-Rex breakout scene is still legendary because of how Spielberg framed the scene as a horror film:

Sunsy wrote:

Also, I remember reading the Collodi family actually hated the Disney adaptation.

Why does it not surprise me that P.L. Travers wasn't the first person to have her work vandalized by Disney? lol

Edited on by Maxenmus

Maxenmus

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic