Forums

Topic: NintendoLife Cooks Thread

Posts 241 to 260 of 265

gcunit

@jump Yeh, vegan is a big "**** no!" for me for the foreseeable. I live off cows' milk, butter, cheese, yoghurt, and increasingly nowadays... crème fraiche. Its not that I've tried many alternatives and not been able to make them work, I'm just nowhere near convinced it's worth trying to convert myself in terms how good the alternatives are. Milk I could probably make work, I have tried a few alternatives over the years, but only for simple things (i.e. with my cereal) and am just too lazy/occupied to research what differences may await if trying to cook with them etc.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Ryu_Niiyama

@gcunit lmao, yeah I made it. Ate for three days off of it (very big cut of salmon) and slept like a rock the first night. Blame my mom. We were talking food earlier that day and she mentioned she made a salmon steak. So I went to the store to buy fish. Had everything else in house. I hate doing dishes so I don’t usually do a meal that large often but yeah I am sorta a home chef.

That being said I really just cooked what I had. My pantry baseline is Southern US, Japanese and Italian-American so it’s not hard to have ingredients I can mix and match. Plus I love making sauces. I’m weird, I used to watch a grilling show after school in between cartoons. Likely because my dad can’t cook (or grill) lmao.

Respect to your mostly vegetarian ways. I adore veggies and have several kinds at every meal but I am Southern… can’t go all veggies all the time.

Making a beef and oyster cottage pie tonight.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

gcunit

@Ryu_Niiyama I am not a well-travelled person and have never been to the Americas. Can't quite wrap my head around oysters in a cottage pie. Bon appetit!

Ryu_Niiyama

@gcunit So I am cheating. Beef and oysters pie is British as I am sure you know but I usually have it with mashed potatoes and peas. Found out years ago reworking it into a cottage pie gives me the same meal with less work (dishes) lol. (Plus I am not a fan of pie crusts…blasphemy I know but I grew up on pies that don't have a pie shell topping. Sweet potato pie or pecan pie for instance.) I am sure some British person fainted when I typed that, but American food is essentially fusion food by its very nature so we mix foods that would make other cultures scream in terror over all the time.

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

gcunit

@Ryu_Niiyama Literally never in my life have I ever heard of beef and oyster pie as a thing 😄

British, you say? I've got some work to do... but in the meantime, you can send me all your unwanted pie crusts any time - pie crust is something I can get on board with.

Edited on by gcunit

Ryu_Niiyama

@gcunit Really? Aren’t you British? From what I understand it was made back when oysters were poor people’s food and used to pad out beef in meals. But perhaps it isn’t as common over there now? I’ve no clue. I haven’t been to the UK in a few decades. (Still want to visit Ireland though.)I remember finding out about it watching some British inspired show as a teen. (It was on public tv so I don’t remember the name) for an American, the combo is exotic so it stuck with me as an adult and I started making my own.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steak_and_oyster_pie

I’ll remember to send you pie crusts. Southern US food involves more cobblers (or crisps I think some people call them) and as I said earlier more pies that don’t have the top. So it’s fully cultural bias on my part.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

gcunit

@Ryu_Niiyama Indeed I am British, but I don't know what to tell you... I Google 'beef and oyster pie' and it tells me it's a British thing.

I can only suppose, going by the references to it being associated with the Victorian era, that it hasn't been at its zenith of popularity in Blighty over the past 40 years. I'd never knowingly eaten, seen or even heard of one until your post about it.

How did yours turn out? Bet you aced it 😉

Rambler

@gcunit
Think it's been a couple of more years than 40 since Auntie Vicky was on the throne?

Rambler

gcunit

@Rambler Why thank you... Mr. Holmes, I presume?

Pray tell me, Mr. Holmes - is it not possible for something's popularity to rise/spread over time, even beyond the bounds of the lifetime of the monarch who happened to have one's backside on the throne during the time the something came into popularity? I'm thinking of things like the works of Mr. Dickens, automobiles and telephones, for example.

If so, would it not be possible that the humble beef and oyster pie itself enjoyed a similar rise/spread in popularity after Her Majesty Queen Victoria popped her royal clogs, only for that popularity to subsequently subside sometime over the intervening 70-odd years?

gcunit

@Rambler No, course I'm not pissed off, but I just felt like indulging in a long-winded pontification around your point that implied the pie was only popular during the Victorian era.

Rambler

@gcunit
Noooooooooo, I've never heard of that pie before. But I'm not a connoisseur anyway. Wikipedia sez that's it's popular in Australia and NZ, which makes sense, as all pies seem to be.

I meant that the Victorian era was over a century ago, which my calculator says is more than 40 years, but I take your point about the popularity fading over time.
However, maybe everyone in the UK stopped eating these on the day Vicky died as a mark of respect?? Like, even if they were half way through one?

Rambler

Ryu_Niiyama

@gcunit I feel like I accidentally sparked an argument. I was just talking tasty food y’all. Everyone have some biscuits and chill.

Edit and yes mine turned out delish. Looking forward to my lunch break.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

CaleBoi25

@Ryu_Niiyama British biscuits of American ones? 🤔

SplatComp

Don't tell the me moon is shining;
show me the glint of light on broken glass.
-Anton Chekhov

Sorry, I can't stop changing my PFP!

Switch Friend Code: SW-3225-4369-7994 | My Nintendo: CaleBoi25

Ryu_Niiyama

@CaleBoi25 Grins User's choice, which was why I used that word.

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

Ryu_Niiyama

Need to thin out my freezer so I may end up making Chanko Nabe (often called sumo stew) this week. It’s an anything goes hotpot that usually has a chicken based broth but it is a great meal that you can eat off of for days and perhaps just change the starch that goes with it. (I cycle between rice, udon, and mashed potatoes….the last isn’t traditional but it tastes so good. Sometimes I just have it with bread. )

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

Sunsy

Tonight's dinner, homemade chicken tenders and potato wedges from scratch. It's been awhile since I've made both of these, it was nice having them again.

Untitled

The resident Trolls superfan! Saw Trolls Band Together via early access and absolutely loved it!

Ryu_Niiyama

Crab legs, creamed spinach, corn and biscuits for dinner tonight.

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

card-crunch78

Dumplings, egg rolls and potstickers are the only way I'll eat veggies. (wish I'd grabbed pork instead of chicken dumplings though, that one's been leaving a weird aftertaste for me)

🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸

NintendoByNature

Made some Buffalo shrimp wraps tonight using all hooters ingredients. Used precooked shrimp, but I de-tailed them, breaded them, fried them, and tossed them in hooters hot sauce. Then I cut some tomatoes and Lettuce, sprinkled some gorgonzola cheese, and made a quick version of a bang bang sauce. Wrapped it up nice and tight and boy was it delicious. 😋

NintendoByNature

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic