Forums

Topic: Games You Recently Beat?

Posts 2,701 to 2,720 of 3,137

Fizza

Finished Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga for the first (well, technically second if you count the remake) time through GBA NSO!
Untitled
An absolutely delightful RPG that has held up remarkably well in the two decades or so since it's release. It certainly has it's issues: constantly pressing L & R to swap around overworld actions gets very annoying after a while, the late game gets pretty back-tracky and it has the age-old RPG aggrivation of random difficulty spikes (CURSE YOU CACKLETTA). However, I definitely feel it more than makes up for these shortcomings through it's immense charm and humour (which has aged incredibly well), an always-engaging battle system that constantly keeps you on your toes, utterly infectious music and a general, comforting vibe of whimsy throughout (the entire kingdom you explore is themed around jokes for crying out loud!).

Overall, an extremely respectable 9/10 (about the same as it's remake) that I'd recommend to anyone as a starting RPG and an entry that makes me incredibly excited to eventually venture in the DS entries (what many consider to be the peak of the series)!

Currently MIA for exams; see you all in a bit! o7
Mario Maker 2 Maker ID: YT1-0Q2-YFF
Please ask for permission before using my FC!
Currently Playing: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3505-5480-3330 | Twitter:

Xyphon22

@StarPoint I'm currently replaying and am on the final part of the final case of Dual Destinies (the main case, still have to do the DLC). While I would personally rank the overall game in the bottom half of the series probably, this final case I think is my third favorite case (after the final cases of T&T and Justice for All). And like with Zelda, even one of the worse AA games is still better than 90% of other games.

As for me personally, I finally finished up Danganronpa 2. I don't think the ending made much sense, but overall I enjoyed it. Honestly, I think I liked the first game better, but I'm looking forward to finishing up with the third one after a short break.

Xyphon22

3DS Friend Code: 5069-3937-8083

Tyranexx

I finished Super Mario 64 as part of my gradual run through Super Mario 3D All-Stars. As this is the most recent of the bunch I've played - via the Wii U VC roughly three years or so ago - I mostly stuck with the minimum 70 stars. I can certainly appreciate what SM64 did for 3D gaming and the medium in general, and there is a lot to like here. Some of the worlds are fun and compelling (Tiny Huge Island is still my favorite, closely followed by Big Boo's Haunt), some unique characters are involved, and some of the music is still quite charming. That said...even with some smoothing, this one visually hasn't aged the best. And much of the game's difficulty, IMO, comes from fighting the janky fixed camera, slippery physics, and occasionally wonky hit detection; I found myself cheaply knocked off stages to my doom by enemies, sliding/glitching/juddering off the corners of platforms after apparently getting a bit too close to the edges, or accidentally taking a misstep to my death after the camera angle would suddenly change.

All in all, this is a fun romp, but modern Mario titles are much, MUCH better. TBH, I think the only reason I had more fun with the Wii U VC release was through some restore point abuse in order to save time on level reloads. I never played this back in the day, so no rose-tinted glasses here.

Edited on by Tyranexx

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

RR529

Kandagawa Jet Girls (Steam) - It's like Wave Race, but by the Senran Kagura guys.
Untitled

• An arcadey jet ski racer with a touch of Mario Kart, as you can pick up special weapons along the way like rocket launchers, gatling guns, shotguns, etc (which can be fired in forward or behind you). You also have a basic gun equipped at all times that's mostly useful for clearing out obstacles in your path (it doesn't seem to do enough damage to other racers' shields to break them).
    Untitled
    Cause other racers to spin out by blasting them with special weapons.
  • That doesn't mean it doesn't (theoretically) require a more skilled touch as well. You can get a race start boost by reving up your engine at the right point during the starting countdown, you gain a bit more speed (at the cost of control) if you tilt the left stick back & you get a bit more control (at the cost of speed) if you tilt it forward, which is useful during tight turns. There is a guage which builds up (located on the lower right corner of the screen) as you complete actions during the race (such as passing through rings that charge it), and you can expend 20% of it for a temporary boost, or if it's fully charged you can unleash a special (if you're holding a weapon item you'll unleash an extra powerful variant of it. If not, you get temporary unlimited boosts).
    Untitled
    the guage is fully charged, so I can unleash a super variant of the gatling gun weapon I'm holding.
  • There are various elements on the track to keep an eye out for, such as the aforementioned rings you can pass through to charge your guage, but also balloons & holograms (of cute cartoony mascots) you must shoot to clear the path forward (they don't cause you to crash, but can temporarily slow you down), as well as boost pads which temporarily speed you up. Of course there are ramps as well which you can use to catch some air & pull off some tricks. There are four different trick commands, & while 3 of them are shared between all teams, the 4th is unique to each team. Tricks grant buffs such as increased speed, tighter control, or a charge to your special guage. The team unique trick always grants two buffs instead of one, which sometimes includes special buffs like temporary invincibility.
    Untitled
    Performing a team exclusive trick.
  • There are 8 or so teams to play as (you unlock them as you play through the story mode), which run the gamut in terms of cliches (you have the garyu delinquents, the foreign exchange American weebs, the rich girls, the idols, etc.). Is there a particular gameplay mechanic between having two girls per craft? Not really it seems, just an in game explanation as to why they can race & attack at the same time.
    Untitled
    These girls don't seem to be as multitask talented as your average MK racer, so have a dedicated driver & attacker.
  • There are about 5-6 different courses to race on, though each has two or three different variants, so there is ultimately quite a bit of choice. These are likewise unlocked as you play through the story mode, and run the gamut from Japanese castles, futuristic city scapes, sewer systems, & more.
    Untitled
    Untitled
    Untitled
    Untitled
  • I spent most of my time in the story mode, which consists of 64 races spread out over 8 chapters. Each chapter usually centers around the story of a specific team, with the first chapter being the longest, following the titular "Kandagawa Jet Girls" team (I assume this is the canon story, and is what the anime adaptation also follows). It's mostly bubbly fluff (though the California Coast High story mode, the "American weeb" team, is absolutely hilarious) though the last team introduced tries to add a "serious" tone/threat that they ultimately gloss over.
    Untitled
    Untitled
    Untitled
    The "Unkai Surfers", team of California Coast High, are absolutely hilarious (I've posted more of their gems in the screenshot thread).
  • It's actually pretty technically sound of a racer all things considered. Certainly no Mario Kart (or probably Wave Race), however it's noticeably of a very much higher quality than the absolute drek of the genre like Garfield Kart. The biggest issue is that Story Mode is almost never a challenge. You can easily blitz the first chapter without having to upgrade your team's jet ski, and although the challenge does slowly ratchet up in subsequent chapters, by then you should have enough points at any given point to buy enough upgrades to stomp whatever comes your way. I assume you could probably get more of a challenge by taking on human players (it has an online mode of course) & maybe you can set the CPU difficulty to a higher standard in exhibition races, but I haven't really tested those things out.
    Untitled
    You can barely see the next closest racer at the edge of the mini-map.
  • That said, Story Mode does attempt to mix things up with optional objectives attached to each race (tasks such as "don't touch a wall", "perform tricks more than 3 times", "pop 10 balloons", "use more than 4 types of weapon items", "don't use any weapon items", "reach X maximum speed", etc.). Now, sometimes you'll have to hold yourself back in order to complete some of these (can't exactly fire off a bunch of weapon items if you're too far ahead of the pack, as they won't fire unless you're close enough to target someone), but they do give you something extra to think about. For your trouble you'll be rewarded with new accessories & costumes for the girls to wear (remember this is from the Senran Kagura guys, so you'll get stuff like bunny suits, nurse bikinis, wedding bikinis, & the like).
    Untitled
    Lots of different costumes to unlock, such as sailor fuku bikinis, or bikinis that are barely there.
  • Outside of the racing action (& kitting out the cast & jet skis), there are also a handful of minigames to take part in which you can use to earn extra points. These range in scope from a jet ski cleaning rhythm game, mopping auto runner, treadmill running, & a ring race mode, all of which have multiple difficulty modes.
    Untitled
    Untitled
    Earning extra credit.
  • Given that this is from the Senran Kagura peeps it shouldn't come as much surprise that there's some crossover material. While they don't have a story mode, Ryobi & Ryona (from the SK series newer batch of "Hebijo" students) serve as an extra pair of racers. Of course you can obtain further SK characters (such as Asuka, Yumi, Homura, Ikaruga, etc.) as paid DLC, though I haven't partook.
  • I know I've brought up it's Senran Kagura connections a few times now, so I think it's relevant to point out that it never goes as far as those games go in terms of the "fan service". Yes, there's lots of jiggle & bikinis, but that's about it (similar to the recently released Samurai Maiden in this regard). There seems to be little to no sexual innuendo in the dialogue/narrative (other than maybe some slight Yuri undertones depending on the team), no mode where it's possible to virtually "grope" the girls (before anyone jumps down my throat, I'm not saying that it's a bad thing such a mode is absent, just that it's a feature that was relatively common in such games once upon a time like the older Senran Kagura games & Gun Gun Pixies), and no clothing breakage mechanics (for what it's worth, clothes breakage very much IS a mechanic in the aforementioned anime adaptation, whenever a team has their shield shattered, but whether it was added to the anime or removed from the game is unknown AFAIK).

Conclusion:

• Actually a pretty fun & bubbly racing game when is all said & done. Granted, it's a very fan servicy game so know what you're getting into, but it's definitely a much more solid game than 90-95% of the games that make gratuitous sexualization part of their core appeal.
    Untitled
    Celebrate that victory.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Maxz

I, err… ‘beat’ Kuru Kuru Kurin, making liberal use of NSO’s rewind feature and effectively slowing down time by constantly mashing the pause button.

It’s a cute game built around a neat mechanic, but my god does the difficulty ramp up, rendering the game pretty much unplayable without the aforementioned ‘difficulty smoothing’ methods.

While the rewind feature wouldn’t have been part of the original, the later levels feel like they were actually designed with the ‘pause-mashing’ technique in mind. I can’t really imagine how anyone could play them in real time without a silly amount of practice. There’s also no penalty for constantly pausing, so while I played the earlier levels ‘properly’, I pretty much gave up as soon as the difficult spiked, turning the game into a self-inflicted stutter fest. Not ideal, but perhaps better than the frustration that would have ensued otherwise.

A bit of an enigma of a game really. Neat core mechanic held back by some convoluted level design and a difficulty ramp that basically asks you to break the game (with no penalty for abuse).

Edited on by Maxz

My Mario Maker Bookmark Page
Spla2oon Ranks: SZ: X | TC: X | RM: X | CB: X
HAVE BEEN ENJOY A BOOM

Switch Friend Code: SW-5609-8195-9688 | Nintendo Network ID: Maxzly | Twitter:

Tounushi

Maxz wrote:

my god does the difficulty ramp up, rendering the game pretty much unplayable without the aforementioned ‘difficulty smoothing’ methods.

Welcome to Nintendo Hard.

Tounushi

Nintendo Network ID: Tounushi

MarioVillager92

Just finished Donkey Kong Country 2. Awesome game for sure, and oh man, does it put up a good fight. One of the hardest games I've ever beaten, honestly! It's a game from my childhood since my dad had it for the SNES back when I was 3, but I didn't finish it until now. I previously left off on one of the last levels which gave me so much trouble back then. I wanna try to finish DKC3 next, I haven't played a whole lot of it.

"Give yourself the gift of being joyfully you."

ACNH Name/Island: D-Pad/D-World
Dream Address: DA-1613-1378-1995

Also known as MarioLover92. Please ask for my Switch FC if you want to play online with me. Thanks!

My Nintendo: MarioLover

Maxz

@MarioLover92 Welcome to Nintendo Hard, apparently. I’d like to give it a go soon!

Edited on by Maxz

My Mario Maker Bookmark Page
Spla2oon Ranks: SZ: X | TC: X | RM: X | CB: X
HAVE BEEN ENJOY A BOOM

Switch Friend Code: SW-5609-8195-9688 | Nintendo Network ID: Maxzly | Twitter:

MarioVillager92

@Maxz Oh, it's Nintendo hard for sure. Be prepared for a challenge when you play it, especially in the last half of the game.

"Give yourself the gift of being joyfully you."

ACNH Name/Island: D-Pad/D-World
Dream Address: DA-1613-1378-1995

Also known as MarioLover92. Please ask for my Switch FC if you want to play online with me. Thanks!

My Nintendo: MarioLover

StarPoint

Just beat Metroid Prime Remastered. Nothing more needs to be said about how good of a game and remaster this is at this point. It’s an absolute must-play on the Switch and, in my opinion, is now the best-looking game on the system, at least in terms of fidelity. BOTW probably still wins overall thanks to its art design, but my goodness, this game looks so good. Retro Studios definitely haven’t lost their touch and I really look forward to seeing what their next project is. 10/10

Edited on by StarPoint

"Science compels us to explode the sun!"

Currently playing:

Persona 5 Royal (PC)
Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy (PC)

kkslider5552000

I've beaten Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, the one Castlevania in this style I hadn't played before. My opinion of the game has not changed. While finally beating Circle of the Moon a few months ago was a fun throwback to this series that I've not played in a long time, and I really missed it. But I immediately see why Symphony of the Night is far more acclaimed. Obviously...it was the first one and I think even now is likely the most popular Castlevania (or at least the most popular in this style), so that helps it. But there's something to playing it that feels far more solid and fun and interesting by comparison to their first GBA attempt.

And that's impressive, considering at times, its has its issues. Like item management...is not a thing. It's as bad, maybe worse in some ways, as like classic Final Fantasy. It's much more worth it to git gud then boringly find healing items or the like in that menu. But the main issue is mostly just the difficulty curve. It feels like half the bosses have enough HP to take like 7 attacks and they're done, and then occasionally a boss is either a reasonable challenge or just obnoxious (I gave up on the giant armor with the thunder attacks late in the game, which was thankfully optional). And as the game goes on, the more likely the enemies are so much tougher than nearby enemies or even nearby bosses. It's beyond ridiculous, to the point that I wonder if something went wrong.

But aside from that, this was just wonderful. Not the best game I've ever played, but their first attempt at this was pretty awesome. Nostalgia makes me prefer Dissonance and the two Sorrow games I suppose, but in all liklihood, objectively this is probably better than the former and on par with the latter.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Snatcher

Beat xenoblade 2 last week!

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Sorry for not being active much recently, but I’m very much alive!

kkslider5552000

I finally beat Goldeneye.

Something I still think is that despite the absurd acclaim, having finally gone back to this game, it definitely feels like a first attempt at making a 007 game. The next few FPS Bond games feel like real attempts to expand and refine this type of game. I dunno if they're "better", especially since I've never gotten even halfway through the other N64 one and the next two games I can't even remember when I last played, but they're definitely based on having learned on how to make a James Bond FPS game after Rare's first attempt.

I can't say, at least right now, that I have any comprehension of this game being an all time great. Is it, is it not? No idea. But it is another example of my increasing fondness(?), amusement (???) towards the "how do we 3D?!?!?!" era of gaming. It's such a wild era of gaming, regardless of what has or hasn't aged well.

...I will say for some of these levels, thank god for save states. Did people actually play that jungle level as a kid near the end? And why was the next level practically a joke by comparison despite being near the end of the game? Even as someone who really gets into Jet Force Gemini, I look at this game in sheer confusion. If it wasn't for the backlog I'd be into playing the higher difficulties, which apparent add mission objectives too. That's neat, and I can tell at points what they would be based on that I'm fairly certain they're still in the Agent difficulty, they just don't anything for you.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Fizza

Beat a bunch of games across the NSO apps over the past while and thought I'd share some of them here!

1. Mappy Land: A surprisingly fun action-platformer that loses a lot of steam near the end (particularly in how you essentially have to play through the same campaign 4 times). Despite that though, I enjoyed the level designs themselves and the absolutely bonkers moments of unexplainability throughout. 7/10

2. Warioware Inc: Mega Microgames: My first proper Warioware game (not counting stuff like Get It Together's demo) and it's....ok? The games themselves are very fun and addictive but it's one of very few games for me that I genuinely think looks kind of ugly. The Warioware style would eventually be perfected in entries like Gold and Get It Together (at least in my humble opinion) but the first entry, much like Wario himself, isn't much of a looker.

Despite that though, the gameplay, humour and characters are still exceptionally fun and I will absolutely be trying out the rest of the series in due time. Overall, a bit disappointed but excited for later entries. 7/10

3. Golden Axe: Finally got around to beating this one for the first time in a single 40 minute sitting while chilling at work and yep: this sure is a video game. Nothing particularly wrong with it mind you (though those skeletons in the final boss can go to hell for all I care) but it's probably one of the most generic fantasy games I've ever played. I'll get around to it's sequel in due time (maybe it'll sway me to the series) but the first hasn't really left more than a light shrug in terms of impressions. 6/10

4. Kirby's Adventure: Replayed this one for the second time there a few days ago and, while I'd definitely say it suffers from 'early in the series-itis' in some aspects, it's still an incredible action platformer that I'd recommend to anyone and everyone (especially now that the original Dream Land AND Super Star are available on base NSO!).

Planning on starting Metroid Fusion, MK8 DLC and probably something else come the end of the week but yeah: NSO is the gift that keeps on giving for me

StarPoint

I just beat Miles Edgeworth: Ace Attorney 2 via a DS Emulator with the fan translation patch applied. After recently completing the first Investigations game and being somewhat underwhelmed by it, I'm happy to say that this game is a major improvement in almost every category. I do want to warn you that this game has a lot of stuff that could be spoiled. I'll try to avoid spoilers as much as I can, but when I need to reference something, I'll use a spoiler mark. I strongly recommend not clicking on these unless you've beaten this game before, as I would hate to ruin the experience for newcomers.

Gameplay: Investigations 2 follows very closely behind the first game in terms of gameplay. It's pretty standard stuff all around, with the ability to walk around crime scenes still being a fun and interesting mechanic for the AA series. While this mechanic does lead to more interesting investigations compared to some of the earlier mainline games, it can still tend to be very slow-paced. Especially if you need to examine one last thing or deduce an object, you can end up feeling stuck for a while. This didn't happen all too often, but it was definitely something I felt. The testimonies and cross-examinations are completely unchanged from the first game and the mainline games, and for this game, they really don't need to be. They aren't as much of a focus as they are in other games, so I'm fine with them remaining the same. Overall, the gameplay in this entry is pretty standard stuff in the series, which is by no means a bad thing. It sticks with what worked for the games prior and I'm completely fine with that.

Story: Hoho boy, here we go. I'll say this once again, this game has some spoiler-y stuff in it. I'll be sure to mark it properly, but please don't click on them if you haven't played this game before. It'll likely ruin some surprises for you. I think my favorite aspect of this game's story is the fact that it somehow makes Turnabout Goodbyes from the first game have even more impact than it already did. You're able to get SO much backstory behind the DL-6 incident, along with why von Karma was penalized and what ultimately led to Gregory's murder. It's fantastic stuff and I really wasn't expecting the series spinoff to expand more on this story. Edgeworth's character also goes through an incredible arc that, once again, I really was not expecting. This man, who was once the resident "evil prosecutor" of the first game, is now debating and even acting on whether or not he should even be a prosecutor after seeing how corrupt the whole system is. It's honestly a great situation for his character to go through, and it even affects those around him, ESPECIALLY Gumshoe. I really was not expecting Gumshoe to have character development, either, but once again, this game somehow delivered on it. Pretty much all of the new characters are great as well. Ray Shields is a fun companion that has an interesting backstory of his own. Justine Courtney provides a great "semi-antagonist" to Edgeworth, and her development through the game is awesome. Sebastian, at first, just seems like kind of a joke, but through the course of the game we really start to see him change, and he ends up turning out to be a pretty cool character by the end. However, it really feels like they kind of forgot about him in the final case. He's basically just like "Hey don't worry about me, I'm taking care of these other bad guys," but then he never shows up after that. I thought that was really strange considering how important of a character he turned out to be. And it wouldn't be an Ace Attorney game without some villains. While Debeste and the Prison Warden are fun antagonists in their own right, I really wanna talk about the Mastermind. I was kinda spoiled on the fact that there was an ultimate bad guy in this game, and so throughout the entirety of the game, I was sort of hyping myself up as to who it was possibly gonna be. And then... when it was revealed, I was just like "Oh, okay." The person who it ended up being was unexpected, sure, but I was hoping it maybe would have been more prominent a character. I've heard some say that this character is on a level of a certain villain from Great Ace Attorney, and I honestly just don't see it. Sure the Mastermind was behind pretty much all of the cases in this game in some way, but to me, their effect on the game as a whole still somehow felt a little... underbaked, maybe? It's hard to pinpoint exactly why I found the reveal to be underwhelming, but I certainly didn't feel as much of an impact from this reveal as I did from some other character reveals in the series. The Mastermind, when revealed, was really good, though, and it was fun taking them down in the end.

Music: Okay, enough spoilers. Time to talk about music! This game was composed by Noriyuki Iwadare, who has been a staple of Ace Attorney music ever since Trials and Tribulations. You can absolutely feel his touch in this game; it has some absolutely fantastic tracks. The Objection and Pursuit themes are two of my favorites, and a lot of the investigation music is great, too. There were also some character themes that I was really impressed by. My only complaint with the music isn't even the music itself, rather, a lot of it tends to be very overplayed. Tracks will play for a long time, then be cut off for a second to heighten the impact of dialogue, and then it'll start the exact same track again and play it for a really long time. This was most annoying with the Heart of the Investigation theme, holy cow did that one play a lot. This game still has a great soundtrack, it just had some really annoying overplaying issues that likely were at no fault of Iwadare himself.

Conclusion: Overall, Investigations 2 left me thoroughly impressed. I really wasn't expecting this game to have the twists, developments, and great characters that it did. Especially after the first game lacked basically all of those elements. It still has some pacing issues, and some of the characters are disappointingly underdeveloped, but it's still a massive improvement over the first game. It's truly a shame that this game never got officially localized, however, the fan translation for this game is pretty amazing. It's very polished, and I never noticed any typos apart from a few slight grammatical errors. They even had ProZD voice a certain character, so you know it's good. I really recommend this game if you find yourself hopelessly stuck in the Ace Attorney void as I find myself in right now. Or even if you're just a casual fan of the series, I think you'll still find a lot to enjoy here. It's a bit of a hassle to get the patch to work through an emulator, but once you figure it out, you can prepare yourself for one of the best Ace Attorney games in the series. 8/10

Currently playing:

Persona 5 Royal (PC)

StarPoint

@Fizza Metroid Fusion is an awesome game, I'm really looking forward to seeing what you think of it! Have you played other games in the series before? If not, I think Fusion is a great one to start out with, as it's relatively more newcomer-friendly than a lot of the other games.

Currently playing:

Persona 5 Royal (PC)

Fizza

@StarPoint I've played the original and Super but never really got more than a few hours into either due to getting lost constantly and the controls just not meshing with me personally (I have tried so many times to wall jump and it never f***** WORKS). If Fusion goes well though (since I've heard it's a lot friendlier to newcomers), then I'm definitely going to revisit them and try them out again since I REALLY want to like 2D Metroid; I just haven't had the best experience with it as of now.

StarPoint

@Fizza Super's controls are REALLY annoying when you first start out. I remember initially playing it a few years ago and just finding the wall jumping and shine sparking to be impossible. But it's definitely something you get better at over time. But I'm glad you're trying out Fusion because, yeah, that one is definitely a lot friendlier, especially control-wise.

Currently playing:

Persona 5 Royal (PC)

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic