Forums

Topic: Games You Recently Beat?

Posts 2,721 to 2,740 of 3,149

card-crunch78

I beat Kid Icarus: Uprising's story.

šŸŒøšŸŒøšŸŒøšŸŒøšŸŒø

blindsquirrel

Yet another playthrough of Ocarina of Time complete. While itā€™s not my favorite Zelda game, there is no other game in the series that is as replayable.

Currently playing: Pokemon Soul Silver, Mario RPG
Enos 1:15

Tyranexx

@Fizza Kirby's Adventure is a pretty enjoyable Kirby game, though I agree with you that it was definitely an early take; it's the second oldest game in the series after all. Nightmare In Dream Land (originally on GBA) gives the game a nice new coat of paint.

As for Metroid, I hope you enjoy your time with Fusion. It's definitely more beginner friendly than earlier entries. While Super Metroid is still my favorite 2D game - though Dread would've beaten this if the E.M.M.I. units hadn't overstayed their welcome IMO - I do agree that trying to pull off wall jumps and shine sparks are both difficult. If you do like Fusion, I recommend looking up the objective best versions of each main series entry. In chronological order, these would be Metroid: Zero Mission > Metroid: Samus Returns > Super Metroid > Metroid: Zero Mission > Metroid Dread. The Prime games are worth looking up too if you haven't already.

Currently playing: Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch), Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

NintendoByNature

Took me a great while( 35hrs), but I finally beat Chained Echoes. Super fun little jrpg that could easily pass for a snes title. Fun combat, decent characters and writing,and the game looks great. The last 4-5 hrs did feel like a slog though and somewhat overstayed its welcome. All and all, definitely a top tier indie game and well worth your time.

NintendoByNature

card-crunch78

I beat Splatoon 3's story mode. Now that I have the badge, I'm going back into the turf wars.

šŸŒøšŸŒøšŸŒøšŸŒøšŸŒø

WoomyNNYes

@JadeKitsune Nice!! The final boss was so unexpected and cool. XD I loved it.

Now you can unlock the secret kettle hard level in Alterna. If you beat it, you get the Grizz badge - which has some street cred. It was a bit brutal for me. I think it took me 3-4 hours to beat it.

Extreme bicycle rider (<--Link to a favorite bike video)
'Tendo liker

card-crunch78

@WoomyNNYes Nah, I'm not really a completionist guy. I ended up skipping a majority of the last couple of areas to quickly get to the final Deep Cut boss fight because I was getting frustrated with one kettle and decided to speed through.

šŸŒøšŸŒøšŸŒøšŸŒøšŸŒø

Tyranexx

Super Mario Sunshine (Switch/SM3DAS) - I reached the end credits a couple nights ago. This was the only 3D Mario I hadn't played and...I think it's a mixed bag to be honest. I like the general atmosphere and unique characters/enemies on Isle Delfino, and I believe this is the first series game that gave us the amazing Bowser Jr. FLUDD is quite fun to use once one gets the controls down and makes for some fun platforming.

However, the game was FAR more difficult than I suspected. I expect to find some gradual difficulty and challenge in Mario titles, especially in side stuff for completionists. But during forced sections of the main campaign?! Many of the non-FLUDD sections were a difficult mess - I kept getting hosed by the controls, the rare glitch (I've clipped THROUGH things), having to sit through cutscenes after getting booted out of stages repeatedly, and why is there no long jump in this game? The required secret Shines in Noki Bay and Sirena Beach (the first one) nearly made me stop playing. The final boss fight was a cakewalk compared to half the levels I dealt with on the way.

Sooo...Yeah, I now understand why some say this one was rushed back in the day. The sad thing is this game was ripe for some QoL improvements and cleanup when it was ported to the Switch with the rest of the collection, but it feels like Nintendo did the bare minimum here. I can still recommend this one to any Mario fans, but I do not recommend going into this one as a first game or if they're unprepared.

Bird & Beans (DSiWare) - Pyoro for those outside of North America. This was a very short nostalgic throwback that I picked up on a whim. They're two mini games that stem from the Warioware series. It's mostly a score chaser, but I consider it beaten since I've unlocked Pyoro 2 lol. Nice for some pick up and play entertainment.

Currently playing: Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch), Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

kkslider5552000

I beat Yooka Laylee.

Yes the original one. Yes, in 2023.

I think playing it now is good because now I have lowered expectations but am slightly optimistic the sequel can be good after the 2D game got great reviews. But this game...does not live up to Banjo Kazooie, to say the least. It's not bad by any means, but its a bit all over the place. I was honestly a bit bummed at the first world for how much it didn't get a lot of what made Banjo Kazooie work. But the more it added movement abilities (to some extent abilities in general), the better it got...kinda. I think by the end my feelings were generally that when its a collectathon, its a good one. When it over-relies on minigames and platforming challenges, its just not there. It's so awkwardly made, in only the ways a 3D indie game like this could be. There's too much that's just a bit off, with movement and level design. Which is why its often better when those become less of an obstacle. But I didn't...dislike it as a whole. I think if they had some more time to tweak a few things, it would've at least lived up to DK64, and maybe even surpassed it (which despite its issues, is pretty fun before its levels refuse to end). Though the sad thing is apparently, on Switch, I'm playing the better version of this game. At least at first, I dunno how different the versions are in 2023 vs. launch.

I am glad I decided to not play Hat in Time before this, which I think would've made me harsher on it.

BTW: The credits started 2+ hours ago. Kickstarter!!!!!!

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Plusle_and_Minun

Welp, I complained about Bravely Defaultā€™s length/latter half of the game and AA Spirit of Justiceā€™s abrasive insults and then didnā€™t even post again when I finished them, haha.

Played Ace Attorney Spirit of Justice to break from Bravely, and it was a good game. Not my favorite in the series, but I really liked what they did with the main characters and there were a lot of cool moments. I enjoyed all the cases, even if some had some clumsy handling in hindsight. Some of the music was really good, too. I especially liked two of the serious tracks.

The humor was pretty great sometimes, although again, there were instances of abrasive insults which were, at its best, mildly annoying and a little funny, but at its worst, it was a killjoy. I also hated the prosecutor for the majority of the game. Like, I really hated him. It wasnā€™t in the typical ā€œyou love to hateā€ way, either. Just hate, and it wasnā€™t fun. XD

I also played the DLC level; the humor was great and I really liked the story and the characters by the end. Although Iā€™m a little surprised NintendoLife keeps referring to this case as being one of the best (in the eshop DLC article and the top AA cases article), because my sister and I both thought a lot of it was predictable and there werenā€™t many surprises, and we played it apart from each other. It was a good level, it was just underwhelming in the twists department. Or maybe we've just learned the system too well after 8 AA games. Lol
And can we finally retire Miles Edgeworth as a rival? After the Investigations games, I just canā€™t take him that seriously when heā€™s being adamant and kinda a jerk about blaming a crying woman, even though heā€™s convinced she killed someone in <i>self-defense</i>. Or when he says things like ā€œit doesnā€™t matter the flower petals are different.ā€ Heā€™s justā€¦ way too good for all that now. lol

Afterwards, I went back to get Bravely Defaultā€™s true ending, and oh my gosh, it wasnā€™t nearly as stressful as last time since I didnā€™t feel so rushed to finish it and took my time instead. Let it be said, this game is a nightmare to try and finish quickly, at least on the first play. It also helped they started giving me new cutscenes, some of which were very good. Lol

Personally, I think the false ending did some things better than the true ending, so I would say itā€™s still worth doing, specifically before the true one. I ended up getting the false ending right before they really started to reveal the big plot twist, so even though I had my suspicions, the reveal was a lot more dramatic and unreal to me, and it was one of the most memorable moments in the game, haha.

Regardless, it was a good game, had good characters, good music, and a good FFV-esque job system, and plenty of QoL improvements in its pseudo-retro system (although I still donā€™t understand why you have to scan each enemy individually and why it doesnā€™t carry over between battles?). I also want to praise its voice acting. I mean, Iā€™m not picky; Iā€™ve played a lot of JRPGā€™s and I hardly ever find the anime-ish voices bad or annoying. But I thought the voice directing was particularly good here, like it had more inflection? (Mephilia and Qada come to mind) And boy, do some of them yell. Especially Agnes, she could shriek like a Japanese VA. lol

I bought the rest of its Theatrhythm Curtain Call DLC tracks, too. (why no Bravely DLC, Final Bar Line?? ā€¦.Actually, give us a Theatrhythm Bravely Default instead. And let me put Barras and Holly on my team. XD) I also bought Bravely Second, so Iā€™ll see how that goes. lol

My sister and I slowly played through The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time on the Expansion Pass last year. Despite growing up knowing the game and watching other family members play it, we never actually played it ourselves, excluding goofing off when we were younger and doing things like jumping off the bridge to Gerudo Valley. Itā€™s definitely dated in some ways, like being obtuse when it comes to directions, but it was still a good game with a lot of cool moments and mechanics. I didnā€™t really remember much of the story, so it was cool to experience it, and playing an old game where you half remember some things and have completely forgotten other things is always interesting. XD

I also started GRIS and finished it a while ago. It was good! Felt more like an atmospheric experience with light platforming and light puzzle elements than anything deep or challenging. The art and animation were beautiful, and the music really added an emotional and intense feel to the game (the intense music and sound effects can get loud in your earphones!).

It was a bit shorter than I ended up expecting; it probably took me 3-4 hours to finish it. Had I bought it at full price, I might be a little disappointed with the length. But in hindsight, Iā€™m pretty glad it wasnā€™t padded out with any repetitive puzzles or weak mechanics or anything. The controls felt smooth and pretty fluid. New puzzle mechanics were introduced frequently enough to keep it interesting, and I found them pretty intuitive; sometimes itā€™d make you stop and think for a minute to figure it out, but nothing was challenging enough to cause frustration.

And I finished Laytonā€™s Mystery Journey: Katrielle and the Millionairesā€™ Conspiracy on the 3DS. Admittedly, I went in with low expectations, since everyone only seems to have bad things to say about it, but I actually liked it! Iā€™m not a Layton superfan or anything, Iā€™m only familiar with the original trilogy, but I donā€™t think this game was bad at all!

If you go in expecting something like the other games, then I think youā€™ll be disappointed with its heavily casual tone and episodic format, as well as the mysteries themselves being less interesting. But when you know what not to expect, itā€™s a good time.

The humor was pretty good and the characters grew on me quickly. I really enjoyed the different settings the cases had, and Iā€™m glad each case was only a few hours long, so they didnā€™t overstay their welcome. I also think the last case was closer to the style of the original Layton trilogy in terms of somber tone and twistiness, although I personally enjoyed the penultimate one, too.

My only complaints are that I would have preferred the mysteries to be a little deeper and more plot twisty. Honestly, I even over-thought several of them and expected deeper conclusions. Although, thatā€™s probably Ace Attorneyā€™s fault. XD Some of the puzzles were pretty dumb and abstract, too. Unwound Future had quite a few trick puzzles, but some of these felt ridiculous. But there were still plenty of good ones, too.

Overall, I thought it was a pretty cute and feelgood game. I know itā€™s not everyoneā€™s cup of tea, but Iā€™m pretty pleased with how much I enjoyed it, despite its reputation.

I was able to download the 365 free puzzles, but it seems the DLC shop is empty now? Iā€™m not disappointed, though; it saves me some money to use on something else. lol

Aaaand Iā€™m done now. ;D

Edited on by Plusle_and_Minun

Plusle_and_Minun

GreenTea

Plusle_and_Minun wrote:

Afterwards, I went back to get Bravely Defaultā€™s true ending, and oh my gosh, it wasnā€™t nearly as stressful as last time since I didnā€™t feel so rushed to finish it and took my time instead. Let it be said, this game is a nightmare to try and finish quickly, at least on the first play. It also helped they started giving me new cutscenes, some of which were very good. Lol

Personally, I think the false ending did some things better than the true ending, so I would say itā€™s still worth doing, specifically before the true one. I ended up getting the false ending right before they really started to reveal the big plot twist, so even though I had my suspicions, the reveal was a lot more dramatic and unreal to me, and it was one of the most memorable moments in the game, haha.

Regardless, it was a good game, had good characters, good music, and a good FFV-esque job system, and plenty of QoL improvements in its pseudo-retro system (although I still donā€™t understand why you have to scan each enemy individually and why it doesnā€™t carry over between battles?). I also want to praise its voice acting. I mean, Iā€™m not picky; Iā€™ve played a lot of JRPGā€™s and I hardly ever find the anime-ish voices bad or annoying. But I thought the voice directing was particularly good here, like it had more inflection? (Mephilia and Qada come to mind) And boy, do some of them yell. Especially Agnes, she could shriek like a Japanese VA. lol

Bravely Default's true ending was insanely disappointing to me tbh. I actually felt way more invested in the false ending: the scene where the entire cast is cheering AgnĆØs on to destroy the crystal while Airy is slowly having a breakdown is actually amazing, it's super memorable and I actually got emotional watching it. And what a twist! Having the crystal-awakening minigame be used as a way to make the player destroy it was so clever. In comparison, in the true ending, the entire cast just feels really dumb, blindly following Airy even though they're clearly aware that AgnĆØs is being delusional with her trust. Also, hot take alert, I don't like the final boss music that much, maybe because it was so hyped up to me, but it has one cool moment of mixing the character themes and that's it, I wish the entire track was like that.

The game has so many great aspects but the pacing feels like it wasn't designed by a human being. I really wish they merged the endings together: Have the ending be, after three cycles, the player can destroy a crystal, Airy has a meltdown, and she's the actual villain, not just a pawn. That would have been way more memorable and impactful in my opinion, like at the end of the day, Uroboros who? He really comes out of nowhere. Oh and replace the sidequests with the later cycles' ones, and stop the repeating dialogue I am begging you.šŸ˜‚ .

I actually 100%ed the game last year and I had fun but that pacing ruins the game for me. It took me 130 hours and I feel like 50 of these could have been cut.

At least I heard Bravely Second fixed the pacing, so I'll play it in a few months. I decided to wait a year before jumping into the sequel and I'm really looking forward to it!

Edited on by GreenTea

I can't believe comphet killed Bayo

Switch Friend Code: SW-1492-1491-3432

WaffleBoat

I beat Pizza tower itā€™s now my GOTY

I fear no man
but that thing:
The carrot minigame from bowser's inside story
it scares me

Arnie4490

Beat Dragon Quest XI after 75 hours, fantastic RPG and highly recommended. Went a bit OTT on the final boss, I was lv99 and over geared so it didn't pose too much of a challenge by that point. I can also honestly say that every member of the party is likeable and well voiced, normally it's easy to pick your team and be done with it but there were reasons to use each party member.

Arnie4490

Tounushi

@Arnie4490 Being over-leveled and over-geared is part of the charm of RPGs.
Are there killer bonus bosses, though, to test your mettle?

Tounushi

Nintendo Network ID: Tounushi

Arnie4490

@Tounushi There are trials that you can do which are challenging, I never did go back and do the final one, that's supposed to be difficult.
I believe there is a super boss, but you have to finish all of the 'Tickington' quests. These play like the old school NES/Famicom Dragon Quest games,I didn't finish them as they were a bit too sluggish for my liking.

Arnie4490

Fizza

Beat Metroid Fusion for the very first time last Saturday.
Untitled
WARNING: THIS REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS

If you've known me and my presence here on NLife for the past while, you'll probably be well aware of how lukewarm I've been on the 2D Metroid games I've played (specifically the original and Super). Whilst the start of them would be very enjoyable, they'd always start to feel really unwieldy to control (especially in Super's case where it felt like just moving could be a hassle). This combined with having no idea on where to go and dying leading to a ton of repetition of the same scenarios put me off the series for the longest while. However, I had always said that I would give ONE specific game a go regardless of my thoughts on the rest of them: Metroid Fusion. As an onlooker, the idea of being constantly hunted by a being powerful enough to murder you in a single hit fascinated me and, between me loving the Fusion Suit and being juuuust interested enough despite my previous experiences, I tried it the day after it came out on NSO.

So let me be the first to tell you that this game is an absolute masterpiece.

So....where to begin. I may as well start off with Fusion's strongest aspect: it's atmosphere. So many moments in Fusion feel hand-crafted to instill the most amount of dread in you as is humanly possible: the eerie silence in the starting area, the feeling of shock and panic when Sector 3 begins melting down out of nowhere, seeing Nightmare's silhouette flying in the background of ARC, the elevator losing power midway through riding it and OH GOD THE SA-X. Those footsteps....the bit where they use an entire Power Bomb to get past a wall....the parts where you have to encounter them....they scare me.

The setting of the BSL Station also makes for a thoroughly unnerving adventure: whereas in previous games you saw tons of natural landmarks such as plants and rocks, every location in Fusion is surrounded by metal and machinery. From the SR388 callback of SRX to the chilling (in more ways than one) of ARC, everywhere you go is trying to emulate an environment without actually being said environment; a clever tie-in to the theme of parasites that permeates throughout Fusion's narrative.

And on the topic, good lord the STORY. I wasn't expecting it to be anything particularly note-worthy after the admittedly extremely cool intro as it seemed to take a backseat throughout most of the game. AND THEN YOU GET TO THE METROID FACILITY AND GOOD F***** LORD EVERYTHING JUST GETS COMPLETELY CRANKED TO THE MAX. The conversation between Samus and AI-dam afterwards especially is genuinely one of the most powerful pieces of dialogue I've ever witnessed in a game like oh my GOD šŸ˜­

All of this praise and I haven't even touched on the gameplay which, in my opinion, is leaps and bounds more fun and refined than any of the previous games. Samus feels fantastic to control, feeling incredibly snappy compared to Super and additions like the ledge grab make everything flow so much smoother (particularly during the SA-X chase sequences). All the weapon upgrades also feel incredibly substantial to pick up: from piercing beams to screen-wide nukes, you feel utterly unstoppable come the end of the game and especially in the final boss fight against the SA-X/Omega Metroid? It never felt better to finally get the jump on something that had haunted me throughout the entire adventure.

I wouldn't call Fusion perfect: later bosses like Nightmare and Neo-Ridley are absurdly difficult compared to most others in the game, there's some annoying crypticness in areas like AQA and, despite the linear structure working fantastic for the most part, you do get interrupted a bit too often at points by AI-dam (particularly around the midway point). However, it did what I thought was impossible and not only made me love a 2D Metroid game, but love it so much to point where I want to play every single one released afterwards now as a result. An easy recommendation to anyone with a means to play GBA games, 9/10, I still can't believe I love a 2D Metroid.

Edited on by Fizza

Currently MIA for exams; see you all in a bit! o7
Mario Maker 2 Maker ID: YT1-0Q2-YFF
Please ask for permission before using my FC!
Currently Playing: Extreme-G (N64)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3505-5480-3330 | Twitter:

StarPoint

@Fizza Dude, I'm so happy you loved Fusion! You nailed the point of atmosphere on its head, this is easily one of the creepiest and most atmospheric games in the series, right up there with Prime 2 for me personally. The one thing that holds this game back from being on the top of my Metroid games list is just how linear it really is compared to other entries. That's just sort of a side effect of having a much more story-focused Metroid game, though. And as you said, the story here is amazing, even if it can interrupt the pacing of gameplay from time to time.

If you loved Fusion, I really think you'll love Zero Mission and Dread as well. Zero Mission practically ports over Samus' controls from Fusion and puts them in a remastered world of the first-ever Metroid, and it's amazing. And what is there to say about Dread that really hasn't been said already? Easily one of the best Metroid games out there, and I could see an argument for it to be the best 2D game in the series. I really hope Zero Mission comes to the service soon, as more people definitely need to experience that as well.

"Science compels us to explode the sun!"

Currently playing:

Persona 3 Reload (PC)
Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy (PC)

Plusle_and_Minun

GreenTea wrote:

Plusle_and_Minun wrote:

Bravely Default's true ending was insanely disappointing to me tbh. I actually felt way more invested in the false ending: the scene where the entire cast is cheering AgnĆØs on to destroy the crystal while Airy is slowly having a breakdown is actually amazing, it's super memorable and I actually got emotional watching it. And what a twist! Having the crystal-awakening minigame be used as a way to make the player destroy it was so clever. In comparison, in the true ending, the entire cast just feels really dumb, blindly following Airy even though they're clearly aware that AgnĆØs is being delusional with her trust. Also, hot take alert, I don't like the final boss music that much, maybe because it was so hyped up to me, but it has one cool moment of mixing the character themes and that's it, I wish the entire track was like that.

The game has so many great aspects but the pacing feels like it wasn't designed by a human being. I really wish they merged the endings together: Have the ending be, after three cycles, the player can destroy a crystal, Airy has a meltdown, and she's the actual villain, not just a pawn. That would have been way more memorable and impactful in my opinion, like at the end of the day, Uroboros who? He really comes out of nowhere. Oh and replace the sidequests with the later cycles' ones, and stop the repeating dialogue I am begging you.šŸ˜‚ .

I actually 100%ed the game last year and I had fun but that pacing ruins the game for me. It took me 130 hours and I feel like 50 of these could have been cut.

At least I heard Bravely Second fixed the pacing, so I'll play it in a few months. I decided to wait a year before jumping into the sequel and I'm really looking forward to it!

I agree, the sequence where you destroy the crystal is the true climax of the game and easily the best part of both endings. I was so stressed out at the time with all the repetitive looping that I just said forget it, Iā€™m going to finally attempt to go past when Airy tells me to stop and see what happens, I donā€™t care if I get a game over or a bad ending! I legit felt bad when Airy was pleading for me to stop and I considered it several times, but then the rest of the party spoke up like ā€œis this right? But we trust Agnes, so weā€™ll agree with her actions,ā€ and I felt like I canā€™t stop now!! I had so many emotions during that entire sequence, and I think that speaks for how well done it was.

The true ending is kind of lackluster in comparison. The sequence where youā€™re fighting Oroboros is cool, if not a little long winded, with how they include more of the parallel universes and actually make the AU versions of your party members helpful and present, instead of being mysteriously absent throughout your trek through their world. lol It was also pretty cool how they made you rely on summoning your friends/spot pass alliesā€™ characters during the battle, although I always found the summoning animation, where they hold Agnesā€™ pendant, to be really cool. XD Other than those two points, though, it was pretty okay, and the battle theme would have been a lot cooler if it was just the party themes, although the rest of the trackā€™s grown on me after playing it several times in Curtain Call. Lol But the ending really would have worked just as well, if not better, to have Airy as the final boss, and they really should have cut down on the cycles and the repetitive dialogue and cutscenes.

LOL the pacing really doesnā€™t feel organically designed! Iā€™m still trying to figure out how it lasted through to the final product. XD

Good work on 100%ing the game! I donā€™t know if I could ever do that. I forced myself to do nearly all the side quests during all the cycles, then gave up once they introduced those super hard, mixed up teams. Which is a little too bad, since I thought that exchange between Jackal and Einheria was hilarious. XD

Did you grab the Bravely Second demo yet? Youā€™ve probably heard this already, but it has some exclusive story in it. I just got my copy of the game the other day and Iā€™m going to be really tempted to start it once I finish my current games. lol I hope you enjoy the game!

And sorry my response is so late; Iā€™m only on during Sunday right now.

Plusle_and_Minun

Sunsy

Mortal Kombat on the Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection. In all the years of playing this one, I finally figured out how to defeat Goro, beat Shang Tsung, and beat this game. I also beat it a second time in the GOG release, which is the DOS port, albeit I had free play turned on for that run.

I also beat Mortal Kombat 3, again the DOS port from GOG. Though I beat this one before, I think on Midway Arcade Treasures 2 on GameCube.

Star Wars Dark Forces, I bought this one during a Star Wars day sale on GOG years ago, and decided to play it recently, and beat the game. Feels good to finally complete this one.

The resident Trolls superfan! Saw Trolls Band Together via early access and absolutely loved it!

trymer89

The last one I beat was Metroid Prime Remastered. I can't see myself not "beating" Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga, though, and I should finish it off in the next few days.

/ / / |_ () ||

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic