Forums

Topic: Everything Marvel (Movies, Games, Comics, ect...)

Posts 781 to 800 of 1,574

jump

Platypus wrote:

I think it's safe to say Marvel will just give us anything we ask for at this point.

Wolverine joining the Avengers? Squirrel Girl gets her own flick? Galactus vs every Marvel hero?

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

RR529

I got around to rewatching Thor: The Dark World today (I think for the first time in HD), since our cable added it to their free movies on demand section.

I think I appreciated it more this time around (to which I credit the HD, which made it easier to see what was going on in the darker environments). It started out a tad slow (other than the introductory scene where Thor smashed that rock monster), but it really kicked off with the invasion of Asgard (which was a cool spectacle), the banter between Thor & Loki was as great as always, and I'd say the fight between Thor & Meleki (I know that's spelled wrong) is a good fight. I'm not sure where I'd rank it overall in the grand scheme of the MCU, but I'd say I liked it more than the first Thor.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

shingi_70

Agents of shield comes back this coming Tuesday.

Untitled

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

Spoony_Tech

Can't wait, Agent Carter was a nice filler and I didn't miss it as much. Maybe they will do that again next year.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

shingi_70

arronishere wrote:

They need to get a teenager for the role, that's when Spidey is at his best and it's something the movies still haven't properly tapped into.

Eh, most of peters biggest moments happen while Pete's in college.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

iKhan

I like Daredevil, but it seems too close in tone to Arrow for my tastes. I like Arrow, but I one Arrow is good enough.

Also, it's really sad that Spidey still hasn't gotten his time with Kingpin. I get he's Daredevil's big bad, but he's one of Spidey's biggest enemies as well

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

DefHalan

iKhan wrote:

I like Daredevil, but it seems too close in tone to Arrow for my tastes. I like Arrow, but I one Arrow is good enough.

Also, it's really sad that Spidey still hasn't gotten his time with Kingpin. I get he's Daredevil's big bad, but he's one of Spidey's biggest enemies as well

I couldn't get into Arrow, I am hoping Daredevil is better.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

jump

bezerker99 wrote:

I read that Marvel was going to bring back Peter Parker's original love interest, Gwen Stacy, and make her into a character called Spider-Gwen.

http://time.com/3724147/spidergwen-spiderman-comics/

Not quite, she came "back" last year in Spider-Verse an event in which all the Spider-Mans from different realities/comics come together and fight a rubbish baddie. Gwen Stacey herself isn't the Gwen Stacey that was killed by Green Goblin but one from a different dimension and she was so well received that she got her own series called Spider-Gwen even though she's called Spider-Woman which has already launched, it's set in an alternative world like the Ultimate comics which also has a Gwen Stacey.

The first issue was great, it feels fresh yet familiar and does imo a better job of keeping Spider-Man contemporary than the main title itself or the Ultimate series.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

bezerker99

arronishere wrote:

bezerker99 wrote:

I read that Marvel was going to bring back Peter Parker's original love interest, Gwen Stacy, and make her into a character called Spider-Gwen.

http://time.com/3724147/spidergwen-spiderman-comics/

Not quite, she came "back" last year in Spider-Verse an event in which all the Spider-Mans from different realities/comics come together and fight a rubbish baddie. Gwen Stacey herself isn't the Gwen Stacey that was killed by Green Goblin but one from a different dimension and she was so well received that she got her own series called Spider-Gwen even though she's called Spider-Woman which has already launched, it's set in an alternative world like the Ultimate comics which also has a Gwen Stacey.

The first issue was great, it feels fresh yet familiar and does imo a better job of keeping Spider-Man contemporary than the main title itself or the Ultimate series.

Ah, thanks for the clarification! I haven't read comic books since the mid-90's so I'm really out of the loop on things. I started reading them when they were just 75 cents a piece but when I finished collecting they were up to $2.99. I just could not afford to read them anymore. It wasn't like I just read a few comics, I read about 20 different ones regularly;....primarily Marvel but I also read Spawn from Image Comics.

Edited on by bezerker99

the_shpydar

Spider-Gwen is an excellent character, just based on the limited amounts we've seen from her so far (her backstory was told in an issue of the recent "SpiderVerse Team-Up" limited series). There's a very cool dynamic in her universe, where the roles are reversed — she got the Spider-powers and became a superhero, and Peter was killed. Her father is still in the NYPD, and is the officer tasked with finding and arresting the Spider-hero, and at the end of the story in Team-Up, she revealed her identity to him. I'm really curious to see how the series plays out, and i hope it does well — despite her instant popularity during the Spider-Verse arc, Spider-Girl and Spider-Woman books do not tend to last long before getting the axe due to struggling sales.

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong.
Urban Champion is GLORIOUS.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

Tasuki

Spoony_Tech wrote:

Can't wait, Agent Carter was a nice filler and I didn't miss it as much. Maybe they will do that again next year.

Wait a moment Agent Carter is over? That seemed short for a season did it not get good ratings or something?

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Ryu_Niiyama

Tasuki wrote:

Spoony_Tech wrote:

Wait a moment Agent Carter is over? That seemed short for a season did it not get good ratings or something?

It was designed as a midseason break filler though I think they got greenlighted for a second season. I had a lot of fun watching it and I adored Peggy's final response on how she is treated by others. As a woman I found some parts of the show difficult to watch because I'm young enough that I subconsciously expect that a person that is competent and confident should be respected and NOT seeing that happen or watching characters willing to admit they respect her to her face but not in public was jarring. The series was fantastic however, it felt somewhat lighthearted even though it honestly wasn't and I think that was due to Ms. Atwell's acting and synergy with the other actors. I can't wait to see what else they do with the character. I feel so bad for Steve for missing out on such a gem of a woman.

Still bring on Shield! I need my weekly Melinda May/Ming Na Wen fix. Also I can't wait to see how they deal with Skye and Reina.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Tasuki

Ryu_Niiyama wrote:

Tasuki wrote:

Spoony_Tech wrote:

It was designed as a midseason break filler though I think they got greenlighted for a second season. I had a lot of fun watching it and I adored Peggy's final response on how she is treated by others. As a woman I found some parts of the show difficult to watch because I'm young enough that I subconsciously expect that a person that is competent and confident should be respected and NOT seeing that happen or watching characters willing to admit they respect her to her face but not in public was jarring. The series was fantastic however, it felt somewhat lighthearted even though it honestly wasn't and I think that was due to Ms. Atwell's acting and synergy with the other actors. I can't wait to see what else they do with the character. I feel so bad for Steve for missing out on such a gem of a woman.

Still bring on Shield! I need my weekly Melinda May/Ming Na Wen fix. Also I can't wait to see how they deal with Skye and Reina.

Well that's disappointing I enjoyed Agent Carter alot more then SHIELD.

Edited on by Tasuki

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Ryu_Niiyama

So, Nick Fury question. While I know that the MCU is its own universe (with a really long numeric identifier...geez!) I keep wondering if MCU Fury is Ultimate Nick Fury or Nick Fury Jr. (look it up...don't want to spoil it for others) or if they want to pull a Nick Fury Jr with Coulson. I like Coulson but I don't know if it is Clark Gregg or the dialogue, but he doesn't feel suited for the role of director... he is a competent agent but I feel a little favoritism in the mix. Granted I accept that he was one of the only people left but his brain is a little swiss cheese right now (and not Fury's paranoia on steroids version of swiss cheese) and I am still a little disturbed that he is the keeper of SHIELDs secrets at this point. That being said I don't have an alternative to offer based on the pool of characters we have to pick from as they are all damaged in one way or another... perhaps that is the point. That there are no true comic book heroes in the real world. They make the wrong decisions but they are good and determined people.

Anyway my question is: Do you think MCU Fury is a stand alone character or that he is sourced from Ultimate or Fury Jr?

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

the_shpydar

I think MCU Fury is supposed to be Ultimate Nick Fury. Mainly because Nick Jr. wasn't created in the comics until after the MCU took off, and Marvel wanted the "Nick Fury" of the 616 to line up better with the MCU for those new fans who will start buying books after getting into Marvel through the films. So MCU Fury was never intended to be Nick Jr., because the character didn't exist until recently (2012).

That being said, they could always pull a retcon and make MCU Fury into Nick Jr., but there wouldn't be a reason to do it story-wise — they've already gone beyond the point in the narrative where they could introduce a Nick Sr. and, for example, bring in the whole connection to the Howling Commandos and Cap and such during WWII.

And of course the whole reason why Sam Jackson was cast as Fury in the first place goes back to Mark Millar's original Ultimates series, where the character design was (intentionally) based on Sam, and where Fury even mentions in one issue how if they make a movie about The Ultimates, then he had to be played by Jackson.

Edited on by the_shpydar

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong.
Urban Champion is GLORIOUS.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

Ryu_Niiyama

Hmm, I'd forgotten that the MCU predates Nick Jr. I read it later and honestly since my interest in comics comes and goes (marvel has a little too much drama for me so I binge read it in spurts.) I have trouble keeping up with when an issue came out. I think at this point I just want to see David Hasselhoff do a cameo (LOL!) as Sr. I am kidding, but I would laugh if it happened.

I do remember the whole Fury stating that Jackson should play him panel but a few other names came up in the panel as well like Brad Pitt. So I wasn't sure if it still tied in prior to him being cast. I'd heard one story that Jackson saw Fury on a comic and he looked more like him so he called Marvel and they said they did it to get him to take a movie deal. Not sure if that was confirmed or not. Since Ultimate Fury looked like 616 Fury but African-American in the early issues.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

shingi_70

The MCU doesn't need Sam Fury to be nick fury jr. It made sense for the 616 because Marvel wants to have it all.

About to start my MCU watch as we hit Age of Ultron. Starting off with Captain America: The first Avenger.

WAT!

shingi_70

Ryu_Niiyama wrote:

Hmm, I'd forgotten that the MCU predates Nick Jr. I read it later and honestly since my interest in comics comes and goes (marvel has a little too much drama for me so I binge read it in spurts.) I have trouble keeping up with when an issue came out. I think at this point I just want to see David Hasselhoff do a cameo (LOL!) as Sr. I am kidding, but I would laugh if it happened.

I do remember the whole Fury stating that Jackson should play him panel but a few other names came up in the panel as well like Brad Pitt. So I wasn't sure if it still tied in prior to him being cast. I'd heard one story that Jackson saw Fury on a comic and he looked more like him so he called Marvel and they said they did it to get him to take a movie deal. Not sure if that was confirmed or not. Since Ultimate Fury looked like 616 Fury but African-American in the early issues.

Yeah they're similar character's.

The MCU Fury was based on the Ultimate Nick Fury from Marvel's Ultimate line predating the MCU about 10 years or so. Actually alot of the ground work for the background stuff in Phase I was based on the Ultimate Universe. Mostly the fact that Shield is what brought the avengers together and the Hawkeye being a shield agent.

Nick Fury Jr was made because outside of Ultimate Spider-man that Line of books is dead. So they decided to bring in Nick Fury Jr as the illegitimate son of the older white Nick Fury. He and his best friend Phil coulson are drafted into shield and he takes over his fathers place.

Given current revelations and Age the idea really only works if Nick Fury jr is actually Nick Fury III and white Nick Fury is his Grandpa.

WAT!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic