Forums

Topic: Anime & Manga (NO SPOILERS PLEASE)

Posts 12,961 to 12,980 of 13,106

EllaTheQueen6

@KAIRU I'll have to let my brother know there's a new episode. I'll try to get around to watching it sometime, too.

Y'all, let's go play Legally Distinct Pocket Creatures!
Vice president/second divine goddess of the Chit-Chat thread

3DS Friend Code: 2252-0354-0887

EllaTheQueen6

@KAIRU It probably will have 12 episodes. I'm 13, but my brother says it isn't as ecchi as the internet leads on, so I'll give it a watch sometime soon. Plus, Grisaia series is probably worse, anyways, and I've seen part 1 and the movie of the Grisaia series.

RR529

My newest pickups.

Untitled

My Neighbor Totoro - It's probably the most famous anime film I've never seen before. I'm sure it'll be worth the purchase due to it's pedigree.

Fatal Fury: the Motion Picture - The steel book edition. Watched it last week. Don't think it was quite as good as the two preceding OVAs, but still a decent enough time (and it gets points for going all out on the Mai fan service, lol).

Code Geass - I haven't watched this since it last aired on Adult Swim back in the day (& I don't remember that much of it, especially the later parts, since me & buddy would spend all weekend playing video games back when it aired). This has both series, & I've just started on the second this weekend. It's really good stuff, even if I don't think I like it quite as much as my absolute favorite childhood/teenhood anime.

Bonus: Fatal Fury steel book outside the slip case, front & back (it's a largely clear case, so the only major difference is the removal of the BD & NEO GEO logos, as well as the "100 Minutes" graphic).
Untitled
Untitled

Art under the Totoro slip case is exactly the same, so I didn't include it.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Pizzamorg

I am currently away, so I upgraded my Crunchyroll sub to be able to watch stuff offline (it is only a quid more than the regular sub). I know a bunch of people hate Crunchyroll, but I have never really taken the time to look into why and personally I think Crunchyroll is one of the best streaming services around. As prices balloon for streaming services all over the place, Crunchyroll has remained one of the most reasonably priced. And especially with their acquisition of Funimation, you now have a vast catalogue of shows, a vast catalogue of manga, loads of simulcasts and a massive range of both subs and high quality dubs. It is deffo the streaming service I put the most time into it, probably the next closest is Disney+.

Anyway, I have been working through Engage Kiss. I was following this when it aired, but for one reason or another fell behind around the half way point and then sorta forgot about it completely, but all the shows that pulled me away from this have now either finished or I am up to date with them and waiting for their episodes weekly, so I was poking around my watchlist for stuff to download for the plane and was reminded of this show’s existence.

It kinda feels like this was conceived as a hentai, from the protags design, to the general set up of the story, to the somewhat mediocre animation, but it never ends up quite going in that direction. Well, not completely, the protag powers his demon partner with a kiss (hence the title, I guess) and the way that is animated is erm…

But no, that aside, we get a different kind of action instead, the literal kind. And for some reason, almost every action set piece the show just goes so damn hard. It is like every episode is coasting, and then they splurge all of their budget per episode on like 15 seconds of fighting, and I am fully here for that approach. Every time I think about potentially abandoning this show, they wow me with a set piece and secure my investment at least in the next episode.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

Snatcher

I thought this fits. Fortnite is getting and spoilers ahead, mha! now if you read what I said then yeah it’s real, I’m really hyped and I now what I. Dropping some cash on. How will it work I have no idea, but they made dbz and Naruto work.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Sorry for not being active much recently, but I’m very much alive!

EllaTheQueen6

@KAIRU Yeah, my brother said something unpredictable happened. I have to watch this anime now. But let me finish Arifureta first.

EllaTheQueen6

@KAIRU I see. Have you ever seen Arifureta? And before you yell at me saying "It's just an average isekai!" and "It's a rip-off Konosuba!" I wanna let you know that I already know that. But it's still a great show, plush, it has something Konosuba doesn't... BUNNY GIRLS! Bunny girls are the best alongside cat girls, and if you disagree, I'm sorry, but I can't trust you.

EllaTheQueen6

@KAIRU Lol. I thought you would have at least seen Arifureta. I'm sensing the feeling I've seen more anime than you. Name EVERY single anime you've watched, and we'll see who's seen more. I'll start. Steins;Gate, Made in Abyss, Tonikawa, Teasing Master Takagi-san, Tanaka-kun is Always Listless, Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, Nyanko Days, Lucky Star, Machikado Mazoku, Bofuri, Spy x Family, Uzaki-chan Wants to Hang Out, Konosuba, Isekai Quartet, Re:Zero, Komi Can't Communicate, BNA, Little Witch Academia, The Helpful Fox Senko-san, Love Chunibyo and Other Delusions, Blend S, Gabriel Dropout, School-Live, Demon Slayer, Sailor Moon Crystal, Your Name, A Silent Voice, Steins;Gate 0. That's all I can remember, but I've seen much more than that. Here's the ones I'm currently watching.
Arifureta, Elaina the Wandeirng Witch, Kill la Kill, Gurren Lagaan, New Game, Sweetness and Lightning, Romantic Killer, My Hero Academia, and SAO.

WaffleBoat

No waffleboat, the Simpsons is not an anime
(Idk why I posted this I just thought it would be funny)

I fear no man
but that thing:
The carrot minigame from bowser's inside story
it scares me

EllaTheQueen6

@WaffleBoat The Simpsons is an anime if you think about it long enough. The Simpsons does air in Japan, and anime is just the Japanese word for cartoon. So the Simpsons IS an anime.

EllaTheQueen6

@WaffleBoat What's Mr. Sparkle?

Scooby-Doo

@EllaTheKawaiiNeko A cross between a lightbulb and a fish.

Truly I am mankind's natural foe! Evil Incarnate! A walking cataclysm! A shapeless insanity! GUNDHAM TANAKA!
Kelpies. Be they hound or horse? I'd rather smell wet dog than be drowned by a horse.
Currently Playing on Switch: Chaos Head Noah, PARANORMASIGHT, Mega Man Series.

WaffleBoat

@EllaTheKawaiiNeko
It’s a joke about Japanese Simpsons clones.
In one of the episodes homer finds a cleaning detergent called mr sparkle with his face on it. It’s a really weird episode but it somehow turns into a joke about anime I don’t remember how it does but I remember it happening.

I fear no man
but that thing:
The carrot minigame from bowser's inside story
it scares me

EllaTheQueen6

@WaffleBoat I see.

Pizzamorg

I have now finished Engage Kiss and I do not recommend it. Much of the positives I listed before remain, but their context changes. Those brief flashes of really high quality animation were fine for earlier episodes or monsters of the week, and I could forgive brief action scenes when they were more about establishing a character than anything else. But as we moved into the climactic battles of the series, we were still seeing the same brief flashes and little else. If anything, it feels like less budget was spent on capturing the most important battles in the show.

Likewise, while the show does technically have an ending, so much of the show ultimately remains unresolved and unanswered. Not in a way that I would say is truly frustrating, but it is still irritating nonetheless. It is exactly because so much of the world building is so interesting, it becomes that much more annoying that so many cool ideas are introduced here and then they literally don’t do a single thing with them.

kkslider5552000

All three pre-Super Dragonball series, OG Naruto (somehow not finished Shippuden after all these years), Death Note, both Hunter X Hunter anime, Death Note, Megaman Star Force, both FMA, Azumanga Daioh, Haruhi, Lucky Star, Excel Saga, Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, first four Digimon seasons, Pani Poni Dash, Watamote, Welcome to the NHK!, The World God Only Knows, Re:Zero, Kill la Kill, Little Witch Academia, BNA, Space Patrol Luluco, Gurenn Lagann, Nadia: Secret of Blue Water, This Ugly Yet Beautiful World, Soul Eater, Eureka 7, G Gundam, Madoka Magica, Cardcaptor Sakura and its sequel series, Steins;Gate/Zero, Robotics;Notes, Toradora, Free! season 1, Squid Girl season 1, Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken, Chuunibyou, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Space Dandy, Michiko and Hachin, Black Lagoon, Higurashi (both new and old), Wonder Egg Priority, Darwin's Game, Sarazanmai, Revolutionary Girl Utena, Promised Neverland (no I didn't finish season 2 obviously), MMO Junkie, Land of the Lustrous, Flip Flappers, Lycoris Recoil, Odd Taxi, Paranoia Agent, Serial Experiments Lain, No Guns Life

Edit: wait I forgot Shin Sekai Yori, Air, Angels Beats and Gargantia. There's also another one I can't for the life of me remember the title of. Oh and Erased, how'd I forget that. Dimension W, fair enough I forgot that one at least.

also some movies or whatever

ahem

none of this is including series with seasons I haven't watched yet but actually will or confirmed upcoming sequel seasons or anything like that. I'd guess that'd add 15-20 to this list, but I dunno.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

RR529

If we're listing the anime we've seen in full:

• Abenobashi: Magical Shopping Arcade
  • A.D. Police Files
  • Angel Cop
  • Big O
  • Bleach
  • Blood +
  • Bubblegum Crisis
  • Captain Earth
  • Cat Planet Cuties
  • City Hunter
  • City Hunter 2
  • City Hunter 3
  • City Hunter '91
  • Code Geass (+ R2)
  • Cowboy Bebop
  • Cutey Honey Universe
  • Darling in the Franxx
  • Deadman Wonderland
  • Death Note
  • Dear S
  • Dirty Pair Flash
  • Dragon Ball
  • Dragon Ball Z
  • Dragon Ball GT
  • Dragon Ball Super
  • Dragon Half
  • Dual: Parallel Trouble Adventure
  • Eureka Seven
  • FLCL
  • Flip Flappers
  • Fullmetal Alchemist
  • Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
  • G Gundam
  • Gargantia on the Verduous Planet
  • Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C.
  • Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd Gig
  • Girls Bravo
  • Godannar!!
  • Gravion (+ Zwei)
  • Gridman S.S.S.S.
  • Gundam 00
  • Hellsing Ultimate
  • High School of the Dead
  • InuYasha
  • InuYasha: the Final Act
  • Is it Wrong to try & Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon!?
  • Is it Wrong to try & Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon!? II
  • I Wanna Be the Strongest in the World!
  • Kandagawa Jet Girls
  • Keijo!!
  • Kiddy Grade
  • Kill la Kill
  • Knights of Sidonia
  • KuroMukuro
  • the Legend of Lemnear
  • Lupin the 3rd: a Woman Called Fujiko Mine
  • Lupin the 3rd Part 1
  • Lupin the 3rd Part 3
  • Macross
  • Mad Bull 34
  • Magic Users Club (OVA & TV series)
  • Maken Ki! (+ Kai)
  • Medabots
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion
  • New Cutey Honey
  • Now & Then, Here & There
  • Outlaw Star
  • Plastic Little
  • Ranma 1/2
  • Rurouni Kenshin
  • Samurai Bride
  • Samurai Champloo
  • Senran Kagura
  • Tekkaman Blade II
  • Tenchi in Tokyo
  • Tenchi Muyo GXP
  • Tenchi Muyo Ryo Ohki
  • Tenchi Universe
  • Tenga Toppa Gurren Lagaan
  • Triage X
  • Trigun
  • YashaHime

This list doesn't even cover films/movies/one off OVAs, anime series I've watched mostly or quite a bit of but never finished for whatever reason (One Piece of course as it's never ending, but also Yu Yu Hakusho & Gundam Wing fit here, as well as childhood favorites like Pokemon & Yu-Gi-Oh! that'll probably go on into perpetuity, lol), and then there are series I've probably just up & forgotten about (I know there are a couple of Mecha series I've seen on Netflix I can't remember the names of & I'm sure there are more that have fallen through the cracks).

Needless to say I've seen a ton.

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Pizzamorg

Started watching a show called Estab Life. It uses that kinda stiff, 3D, CG animation I know a lot of anime fans hate. This seems to have created a bit of a divide, as it rates around 6 on MAL, but all three of the featured reviews actually recommend the show.

I actually think this is one of the better examples I’ve seen of this, like I say, it is still kinda stiff, but I remember watching some of the 3D CG anime’s on Netflix and they ran like Pokemon SV. I’ve never watched a show where it had a visibly chugging framerate before I tried those shows.

As a show, it is weird as all hell and has quite a rich world to which you get almost zero exposition for, so you kinda have to just go with all the weirdest moments or be left behind. For me though, I’ve honestly found it very addictive as I click onto each episode wondering where on Earth it’ll take me this time, and I can be mostly safe that whatever happens, I should probably have a couple of cool action scenes throw in there for good measure. Plus, beneath all the weirdness, there is actually some surprisingly mature writing, in it’s own way, the show tries to tackle some genuinely really heavy themes. It doesn’t have perhaps as much to say on those things as you may want, but it makes it clear that a lot of the randomness is not just for the sake of it, that somewhere in all this there is a method to the madness.

Pizzamorg

Pizzamorg wrote:

Started watching a show called Estab Life. It uses that kinda stiff, 3D, CG animation I know a lot of anime fans hate. This seems to have created a bit of a divide, as it rates around 6 on MAL, but all three of the featured reviews actually recommend the show.
I actually think this is one of the better examples I’ve seen of this, like I say, it is still kinda stiff, but I remember watching some of the 3D CG anime’s on Netflix and they ran like Pokemon SV. I’ve never watched a show where it had a visibly chugging framerate before I tried those shows.

As a show, it is weird as all hell and has quite a rich world to which you get almost zero exposition for, so you kinda have to just go with all the weirdest moments or be left behind. For me though, I’ve honestly found it very addictive as I click onto each episode wondering where on Earth it’ll take me this time, and I can be mostly safe that whatever happens, I should probably have a couple of cool action scenes throw in there for good measure. Plus, beneath all the weirdness, there is actually some surprisingly mature writing, in it’s own way, the show tries to tackle some genuinely really heavy themes. It doesn’t have perhaps as much to say on those things as you may want, but it makes it clear that a lot of the randomness is not just for the sake of it, that somewhere in all this there is a method to the madness.

I have finished this now (it was only 12 episodes) - it manages to culminate in quite a grand way, but much like with Engage Kiss, it is also a bit of a non-ending that leaves many of the larger questions unanswered. I will say I feel more satisfied with this overall than Engage Kiss and would be much more likely to recommend this one.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic