Forums

Topic: Anime & Manga (NO SPOILERS PLEASE)

Posts 12,941 to 12,960 of 13,141

Maxenmus

@Link-Hero
I mean, I understand where you're coming from, as someone who also wishes for certain franchises to take my favorite fandoms in a more serious direction (Spider-Man Noir in Into the Spider-Verse for example, how they flanderized the character into a goofball). For the record though, I'd just say that while the growth is technically nothing special and an overdone trope, overdone tropes can be entertaining when done right (and this is coming from someone who hates cliches), and I think it really depends on your mood and perspective going into these anime.

I do agree that it hasn't washed away any of the problems you've stated, even in XY when you still had repetitive and generic storylines that feel like a pointless slice-of-life episode of the week helping random one-off Pokémon guest stars. Again, I think it depends on your expectations going in with these anime. I'm not blind to the flaws, but the battles are well animated and the soundtrack were good enough for me to keep watching Pokémon XY back then. I will say that I will never rewatch those shows though because of the flaws you mentioned. It's a "watch it and ditch it" kind of situation, just for the entertainment of those battles.

I feel like most shounen anime fans like those who still watch Dragon Ball movies probably share the same sentiment I have with Pokémon, going in despite the flaws because they enjoy the good points. Need I remind everyone how we memed the Dragon Ball fight scenes to death? lol Remember those fights that lasted several episodes PER FIGHT? And yet, people still love the franchise and the anime. I think even Fairy Tail fans are still watching that anime even though it has similar problems as the ones you mentioned about Pokémon, like stakes that barely matter or how everyone just forget about important lessons. There's just enough appeal in the animated fight scenes to keep people watching, which makes sense, since the main appeal of an anime is its animation.

By the way, I think you should give Diamond and Pearl a shot. I think you'll at the very least mildly like what you find. I'm speaking as someone who hates shounen anime because of the problems you pointed out, how low-stakes everything is, and yet I can't say I regret giving Diamond and Pearl and especially XY a try. Think of these shows as having "low lows" and "high highs." When the battles are good, they're some of the best shounen fight scenes I've seen animated, especially if you love the games, but when they're bad... phew. I guess it depends, again, on your expectations and what amount of time you're willing to sacrifice for the show.

Edited on by Maxenmus

Maxenmus

Switch Friend Code: SW-7926-2339-9775 | 3DS Friend Code: 3539-9678-8621 | My Nintendo: Flare | Nintendo Network ID: OriusPrime

Anti-Matter

@Maxenmus
Wait, did you watch Codename Kids Next Door ?
That was one of my favorite cartoon series from Cartoon Network for having very unique abbreviation for the episodes and the other stuffs. 😃
For example, there is an episode called K.I.S.S. , it was stand for Kids Identity Suddenly Sixteen. Every episodes have their abbreviation, every gadgets have their abbreviation too, I have never expected those creative ideas by using abbreviation to describe hidden sentences and also I was impressed by the technology in Kids Next Door by using any stuffs surrounded such as a gun made of blender or a giant vehicle from a bed, etc.

Anti-Matter

Maxenmus

@Anti-Matter
Yeah, it's a very creative show, so I enjoyed myself. I also love the rich lore behind the kids vs. adults war (they even paid homage to The Animatix when portraying that war). lol Such a fun series.

Maxenmus

Switch Friend Code: SW-7926-2339-9775 | 3DS Friend Code: 3539-9678-8621 | My Nintendo: Flare | Nintendo Network ID: OriusPrime

Pizzamorg

Lycoris Recoil is a real standout for me this season. I personally don't like the whole subgenre of cute girls + x thing anime does all the time, but I think this is one of the best examples of this kind of show I have seen.

Fanservice is present, but maybe I'm just desensitised, but I feel like this is all fairly tame. I deffo have watched shows where it is so aggressive and smothering, it is just creepy and unsettling to watch but I feel like they always keep the line visible here. For the most part. There are some lesbian overtones clearly there to bait the audience and like I say there is still fanservice, but if you hate that kinda stuff, I would hope there isn't enough to ruin this for you? But I dunno, feels like a weird compliment to give a show, I realise.

Also akin to something like say Madoka, the show isn't afraid of being as dark as it is cutesy, with an almost Division like through line between girls being cute at a boutique cafe. Oh and it all certainly helps that the anime is absolutely stunning, both in it's beautifully choreographed, fluid, action scenes (where they seem to have put a crazy amount of effort into making the discipline and skills of the characters feel like trained soldiers, rather than just badass anime girls doing anime things) but also in all the cutesy and quiet moments between those points as well. Feels like a lot of love, passion and energy went into this and I really appreciate it.

The show could still fall off of a cliff, the story is still very much still building so they could drop the ball and it could hint at some pacing issues given this is only meant to be 13 episodes long and we're over half way and I still feel like there is a lot I don't know. However, each episode is enjoyable enough, that I don't necessarily mind that it doesn't feel like the story and characters are leaping forward with each episode. This may change though.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

kkslider5552000

I'm 3 episodes in and Lycoris Recoil has been lovely. Not sure its gonna turn out to be anything I'm gonna think about after its done, but its at least very enjoyable and entertaining in every way it tries to be. And considering the other new anime I'm watching right now is the new season of Made in Abyss, I appreciate something that's just fun and likable, end of statement.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Pizzamorg

kkslider5552000 wrote:

I'm 3 episodes in and Lycoris Recoil has been lovely. Not sure its gonna turn out to be anything I'm gonna think about after its done, but its at least very enjoyable and entertaining in every way it tries to be. And considering the other new anime I'm watching right now is the new season of Made in Abyss, I appreciate something that's just fun and likable, end of statement.

Yeah this is a bit of a whatever season for me, too. I watching Fuuto PI, the anime sequel to Kamen Rider W. It has started strong, but there aren't nearly enough episodes yet to make a judgment call on how it will all play out over the season.

I was watching the Biscuit Hammer adaptation, but it is so insultingly terrible I just dropped it and starting rereading the manga instead.

I am also watching Shine On! which is like the most mid anime I have ever seen. Like it has stylish visuals, and in some places nice animation, but so far it has just been a complete nothing of a show. I dunno why I even watch it, to be honest. Like the moment it is over I just forget everything that happened and I couldn't ever really describe to you what the show is about.

Maxenmus

I was thinking of giving the 2020 reboot of Digimon Adventure a shot, but all I see on its MyAnimeList front page are bad reviews with the "Not Recommended" label. lol Shame, but hardly surprising. It's hard to match the heart and soul of the '90s version with its character development and amazing soundtrack.

The latest season of Digimon (Digimon: Ghost Game) also didn't receive that many good reviews, but again, hardly surprising. The Digimon anime has been on a dwindling path in terms of quality ever since Digimon Savers (season 5). Now they're practically children's cartoon with the expected level of intelligence in its writing.

It's a shame, but I guess it's not that big of a loss, since I haven't bothered watching any Digimon anime for many years now. There are lots of other anime out there that could occupy my time.

Maxenmus

Maxenmus
This live action adaptation of Sailor Moon (incorrectly nicknamed "Saban Moon" by fans even though Saban has nothing to do with this) is freaking hilarious. It's so cheesy, but I think the cheesiness ended up giving it that campy charm instead. I'm kinda interested to watch this now. lmao

Maxenmus

Pizzamorg

Wow, a surprisingly sombre and sad episode of Lycoris Recoil this week. I kinda expected the moe to take over and it all be fine by the end of the episode, but things still remain in the balance.

Also, I am currently four episodes into Engage Kiss and assuming it doesn't fall off a cliff in the next couple of episodes, this might be another favourite of mine this season. The third episode drops a twist of surprising maturity, it doesn't turn everything on it's head or subvert what you know exactly, but adds more emotional weight and general character complexity than you'd probably expect out what seems otherwise like a light, fanservicey show, with one of the blandest looking MCs they could have come up with.

I really like how they coast on serviceable animation for most of the episodes, and then absolutely kick it into overdrive for the set pieces that usually bookend episodes. It shows real smart use of budget and hope they sustain this throughout.

The comedy is actually genuinely hilarious in places too, and mostly well balanced with the darker stuff, even if the darker stuff is all fairly cliche so far. I dunno, the bar is so low for me on these kinds of shows, when I watch one that tries to challenge me, or offer actual interesting ideas or some kind of emotional weight, I just can't help but be impressed.

Snatcher

@Anti-Matter Dude I adore that show.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Sorry for not being active much recently, but I’m very much alive!

Pizzamorg

I also totally forgot to say I finished my reread of Lucifer and The Biscuit Hammer and man... that manga holds up. Gorgeous art, excellent pacing, very clear action scenes, bundles of heart, oodles of imagination and it goes for exactly as long as it needs to.

I dunno whether I am angry, sad or some combination of the both that the anime adaptation is just plain awful. We all waited all these years and we get One Punchman season 2 level of garbage.

Please give the manga a chance, if all you've seen is the awful anime.

Untitled

Edited on by Pizzamorg

RR529

Recently finished up the Skypiea arc in One Piece (as well as the little followup Navarone filler arc). Pretty exciting arc all things considered (I really liked that free for all fight between Zoro, Wyper, the priest guy with the dog, and the Giant Snake).

I'm now caught up to where I started the series on Toonami years ago (they started their run with the Davy Back arc & ran through Thriller Bark), so skipping those arcs I am now excited to explore content that'll feel truly new to me.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

RR529

They're a little late in getting here, but here are my latest additions (still working through City Hunter 2 from the last set, so no new series, just a couple movies/OVAs).

Untitled

Ghost in the Shell ARISE parts 3 & 4 - the last two OVAs in the ARISE line. Already watched them last night & they're narratively pretty dense IMO, but worth a look if you liked the first two.

Lupin the 3rd: Goemon's Bloodspray - Followup to Jigen's Gravestone. Watched it last night & it was insanely fun. Very bloody, action packed, modern take on a samurai film focusing on Goemon being pushed to the limit when he finds himself up against a nearly indestructible American assassin named Hawk who has killer axe skills.

Bonus: Alternate box art outside of the slip covers.

Untitled

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

EllaTheQueen6

Watched Made in Abyss with my brother. I'm absolutely speechless. Words can not describe how good it is. Also finished Konosuba. It's decent I guess. And I started the Grisaia series. I love it, though the fanservice makes me really uncomfortable, especially considering this show is aimed at people way older than me. I also hear that the Lucky Star manga will be off hiatus. Man, they took my reason to not read it. I watched Spy x Family too (Alone, since my brother doesn't give a care about Spy x Family yet) Started 7th grade today. It's better than 6th grade, at least.

Y'all, let's go play Legally Distinct Pocket Creatures!
Vice president/second divine goddess of the Chit-Chat thread

3DS Friend Code: 2252-0354-0887

RR529

New pickups arrived today.

Untitled
Untitled

Lupin the 3rd: Fujiko's Lie - Last entry in the "Koike" trilogy. Really liked the first two, so I'm eager to watch this (though the weakest aspect thus far was Fujiko's plotline in Jigen's Gravestone, so maybe I should keep my expectations in check).

Triage X - I've watched this a couple times before (via streaming), so I'll know I'll enjoy it (it unfortunately doesn't cover the entire manga, but I follow that too).

High School of the Dead - Again, have watched it before via streaming, so know I'll like it (& have already started it). Likewise it doesn't cover the entire manga, but I plan to get to that eventually.

High School of the Dead: Drifters of the Dead - The OVA episode of the series. Usually these are included in the base physical release, so it was surprising that it was a separate release.

Bonus: Alternate Fujiko's Lie art under the slip case.

Untitled

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

JoeDiddley

I’m currently watching season 2 of Yuru Camp (Laid Back Camp). You have to be in the mood for it as a cute girls do cute things show. For the first series I enjoyed the Japanese scenery. But with this one I’ve got a bit tired of it feeling like an advert for various camping equipment.
But it’s good for soothing the dread of returning to work after a few weeks holiday in the morning at least.

Edited on by JoeDiddley

Switch: SW-2923-8106-2126
Steam ID: joediddley
https://myanimelist.net/profile/JoeDiddley

Pizzamorg

Lycoris Recoil finished this weekend. At least the first season, I have to assume another is coming. The show was alright. I thought it started really strong, but I dunno, they hit like a gear early on and just sorta stayed in that the whole time. I guess compared to some shows which dip up and down having consistency is a strong thing, but I kept waiting for the show to really blow up, but what you get in those opening couple of episodes is all you are getting basically, even as the stakes grow larger.

I also decided to drop Bakumatsu Bad Boys, I had fallen behind by a few episodes, the show was so utterly tedious I had no motivation to catch back up. I only watched it as long as I did because I was up to date with it and like whatever, 20 minutes in my week fine, but anything more than that? Nah thanks.

RR529

A couple of classics for my latest additions.

Untitled

Lupin the 3rd: the Castle of Cagliostro - I've always heard about how this is often considered one of the best pieces of Lupin media, and after watching it yesterday I can see why. Absolutely gorgeous feel good film.

Neon Genesis Evangelion - Hopefully this shouldn't need any introduction. Yes, it's apparently the "Netflix" dub (they say "Nerv" funny & cheaped out & didn't license "Fly me to the moon" for the ending), but it has such a complicated history of releases that I figured I should grab it while I had the chance. Neither issue is honestly that big a deal to me anyways. On the plus side, it also includes both of the 90's movies, Death (Truth)² (which I've never even heard of), & End of Evangelion (which I've only ever seen via a sketchy pirate site years ago), which I wasn't expecting.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

EllaTheQueen6

I started rewatching Bofuri recently. I forgot how much better it is than SAO. I had to draw something with a popular art style for 7th grade art class yesterday, so I decided to draw Shamiko from Machikado Mazoku. It's not the best, but it's ok I suppose. I can't show ya'll as I have no idea how to upload images. Made in Abyss season 2 keeps getting better and better. Plus, Konosuba gets a season 3 AND a Megumin spin off. I've loved Megumin since the beggining of time, even before I watched Konosuba. So I'm excited dfor the spin off more than I am for season 3. I still need to finish a lot of anime first though. Me and my brother started Kill La Kill, Grisaia, Nekopara, and a few other things that I have yet to finish.

Y'all, let's go play Legally Distinct Pocket Creatures!
Vice president/second divine goddess of the Chit-Chat thread

3DS Friend Code: 2252-0354-0887

RR529

Well, after over a year of reading, I've finally finished up all 500+ chapters of InuYasha. It was my first time reading it in an official capacity, and as the anime was my life in middle/high school I'm glad I did.

I think it does loose a little something in terms of charm after awhile, and for awhile it's clearly stalling for time, but I think it comes together well enough by the end with a pretty satisfying ending. Been at it since 2020, so I'm gonna be at a bit of a loss now that I'm done.

I also followed up by reading the first volume of YashaHime (which is the only one currently available). I wasn't a fan of it's anime counterpart, but the manga is off to a MUCH better start (I don't want to get into the myriad of reasons why the anime sucked, but the mangaka seems to be deliberately acknowledging most of it's issues), which is making me excited for this followup all over again. Too bad the next volume doesn't drop until December.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic