Forums

Topic: Anime & Manga (NO SPOILERS PLEASE)

Posts 12,481 to 12,500 of 12,523

PK_Willow

Currently watching Initial D: Fifth Stage. All I was expecting was hot-blooded drifting and racing action, but there's been some pleasantly surprising emotional moments mixed in. I'm still enjoying the series, but ever since Project D happened/Fourth Stage, it just hasn't had that umph that the first three stages (2 seasons and one movie) had. Sure, the races have been awesome, and that's what the series is about, but I guess I miss the dynamics Takumi had with his friends. Iketani is probably one of my favorite characters, even though he is so dorky but I love it.

Has anyone gotten into Black Clover? I've only watched a few episodes but couldn't get into it. Is there a certain amount of episodes I should watch until I drop it?

NNID: Ruki_the_Human

CanisWolfred

@PK_Willow I've heard it gets better futher in, but I dropped it pretty early. It just didn't have much of a hook, and I already have One Piece, Fairy Tail, and Dragon Ball Super to get caught up on, while throwing in shorter series in between to avoid burnout. It's going to take a lot to convince me to add a 4th to my list.

Speaking of which, I'm currently...I think about halfway through the Whole Cake Island arc of One Piece, and I've gotta say: the pacing of individual episodes here have been far better than the previous two arcs, and arguably every arc since the Straw Hats entered the New World portion of the Grand Line. It's so much easier to stay invested instead of feeling like I have truck through at top speed just to get a satisfying story. Things are amping up where I left off, and I'm excited to see where it's going to go!

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

3DS Friend Code: 1418-6849-7569 | Nintendo Network ID: CanisWolfred

LetsGoSwitch

I borrowed the Legendary Edition of the Legend of Zelda manga's. They are pretty good. On Ocarina of Time right now

LetsGoSwitch

LetsGoSwitch

Hey I am interested in Neon Genesis Evangilion but know nothing on what it's about, where to watch it or if the manga is better than the anime. Has anyone both seen the anime and read the manga and is willing to help me out. Thankyou!

LetsGoSwitch

CanisWolfred

@LetsGoSwitch It started as an anime, so the manga adaption is...not gonna be better. It took a different story path, though, so if you get into the anime, it might be worth reading just to compare. There are a couple side and parody manga I remember hearing were good, but usually those are meant for fans and you'd be missing important things if you skipped the original anime.

As for where to watch it, Netflix recently yanked the streaming rights away from Manga Entertainment, so it's now on Netflix starting today, with a new dub cast for some reason.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Link-Hero

@CanisWolfred
Manga Entertainment had the license? I always thought it was Funimation. I'm most likely mixing up the original and the newer films. That probably explains why it hasn't been re-released on DVD and Blu-ray over here for quite a long time.

Edited on by Link-Hero

Link-Hero

Nintendo Network ID: LinkHero25

kkslider5552000

yeah, Funimation has the Rebuild movie license while the original series has been in limbo in America for ages, which is why this Netflix news was a big deal.

Bioshock Infinite Let's Play, please watch and enjoy!:
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

3DS code: 2878 - 9709 - 50...

CanisWolfred

Link-Hero wrote:

@CanisWolfred
Manga Entertainment had the license? I always thought it was Funimation. I'm most likely mixing up the original and the newer films. That probably explains why it hasn't been re-released on DVD and Blu-ray over here for quite a long time.

Oddly enough, Manga Entertainment is a subsidiary of Funimation now, but I'm pretty sure they let the rights to NGE lapse well before the merger.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Heavyarms55

Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari, or The Rising of the Shield Hero finished its first season this week and thoroughly lived up to the excitement it garnered from me several weeks ago as the series was getting into gear! An easy 5/5 recommendation from me, it is easily one of the best anime in recent years. At least in terms of fantasy/action series. It also hits hard with great character development, conflicted heroes, and doesn't shy away from painful or difficult topics. It has stellar world building as well.
Season One ends on a massive cliff-hangar however and though from what I've read, with interviews of the staff, a season two is very likely, but remains totally unconfirmed.

On the other hand:

The Helpful Fox Senko-San ended this week as well. That was an alright feel good anime. But it was clearly geared toward a very specific audience. A fun but forgettable time waster.

Bokutachi ha bennkyo ga dekinai or We Never Learn (Don't understand why they went with that title, the Japanese means "We can't study") Also ended this week. It came out of no where for me. I went in expecting a generic time waster, but was utterly blown away by one of the best harem comedies I have ever seen! It easily has become my favorite harem to date! It never takes itself too seriously and presents a consistently funny and well paced show that unlike Shield Hero, has already been confirmed for a second season this October! I imagine a comedy harem takes less work than a major fantasy epic.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx
Feel free to add me

Tsurii

Shield Hero kinda dragged halfway through because of how utterly bland Raphtalia is. She's got about as much personality as a slice of bread (from what we're shown up until now anyway. Maybe, tho doubtfully, she's going to get some actual development in a future arc but I wouldn't know, it's not like I'm reading the novel)
Filo started super annoying but eventually grew on me (should be obvious, I believe) since she's not quite just the adorable moeblob she appears to be at first glance. What made me dislike Raphtalia even more was the fact that they introduce three characters in the last two episodes who all needed all of 5 minutes to be more interesting and unique as her after 25 episodes....

Oh well, overall really enjoyed it. Raccoon girl and the other three heroes are the only things that dragged it down a teensy bit for me so all's good. It was a hell of a lot more fun than the Slime crap, to compare Shield Hero to another Isekai I watched recently. Altho neither are anywhere near the awesomeness that was SSSS.Gridman

Also, hope y'all are gonna check out Fire Force. It's going to be amazing. David Prod bless us with 4 cours of shounen goodness by the Soul Eater creator.

What a beautiful signature.
Chew.

Switch FC SW-2755-1473-1221
3DS FC 0662-8621-2250

Twitter

CanisWolfred

I'd totally check out Fire Force, once one or more of the half-dozen other shounen anime that have been asking me to dedicate over a decade of my life to following their stories finally ends. I'm already having enough difficulty finding time to watch other types of shows as it is...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

RR529

I haven't watched their version, but according to IGN, Netflix botched up their dub of Evangelion. The four big complaints seem to be:

• They cheaped out and didn't license Fly me to the Moon for the ending credits, replacing it with a generic piano soundtrack (the first time the series has been without the song).
  • The new voiceovers. They mention that it isn't bad in of itself, but it's a big disappointment for old fans, and they don't have a consistent way of pronouncing "NERV", jumping between two variants.
  • It's a much more literal translation of the Japanese original, and as that didn't have any foul language, the Netflix version doesn't either (the complaint being that scenes don't have the emotional weight they're supposed to in English without them).
  • Apparently they toned down the implied romantic feelings between Shinji and another male character, prompting accusations of "Gay Erasure" (again, this centers around some slight rewording in the new dub compared to the old one, as they didn't remove any scenes as far as I'm aware).

Currently Playing:
Switch - NSMBU Deluxe
PS4 - Moss

CanisWolfred

@RR529 - I mean, IMO, it was mostly just an unnecessary move, tbh. The origial voicework was fine, and the new performances and translation seemingly take away more than they add. Those would be minor annoyances if they didn't also fail to get the ending theme. That's where they really screwed up. That song added quite a bit thematically, and IMO, was as iconic to the franchise as Cruel Angel's Thesis. I mean, I was literally listening to it multiple times in the days leading up to its arrival, and I didn't even know it was coming out - it's just one of those things I think about when I think of "Neon Genesis Evangelion"...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

kkslider5552000

A lot of internet controversies about things are honestly miserable, but one of the real joys I've had in recent months has been watching everyone bury this whole Eva Netflix debacle. I liked the 2 Rebuild movies I saw, but I've never been able to get into Eva otherwise. But I feel like I got a new found respect for it, and especially for the original English releases, after this.

It's like a perfect storm of needlessly literal translations, tone deaf (at best) changes and misunderstanding of Eva's significance. It's especially funny because it completely overshadowed all the super serious discussions about Eva coming back again, that people were worried about (a 2019 internet discussion on Eva does sound like an actual nightmare to be fair).

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Bioshock Infinite Let's Play, please watch and enjoy!:
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

3DS code: 2878 - 9709 - 50...

Heavyarms55

Slime did fizzle out for me, but that was largely because they got to around episode 17 or 18 and realized they still had roughly 25-30 episodes worth of content to cover in order to end where they wanted to end, and only had like 7 episodes left to do it. It was worse having read the Manga and knowing just how much content they cut and/flew through to get to that final story arc, which also still got rushed painfully and lost much of the impact. For Slime to have been properly paced and remained as good as it started, it needed at least another 15-20 episodes. And even then they'd probably have had to speed up some stuff, but it wouldn't have been the lightning pace we had in the final product.

Feel free to add me

Heavyarms55

@kkslider5552000 The problem with the Rebuild Movies for me is that they remain unfinished. It seems as though they failed to do well enough to prompt a proper conclusion for the re-imagining.

Feel free to add me

CanisWolfred

Heavyarms55 wrote:

@kkslider5552000 The problem with the Rebuild Movies for me is that they remain unfinished. It seems as though they failed to do well enough to prompt a proper conclusion for the re-imagining.

Uh, nope: https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2018/07/20-1/fourth-re...

The conclusion is out next year, the Netflix deal was part of the hype machine leading up to release, apparently.

If you want further proof, the first 10 minutes will be shown at Anime Expo and Japan Expo on July 6th: https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2019-06-24/1st-10-minut...

It sure took a while sure, but to be perfectly fair: the director took a much needed break to keep from burning out, working on other things, like directing a Godzilla movie. He had spent a pretty big chunk of his career on Evangelion, after all, and too much is riding on the success of the conclusion that for them to rush it, or cancel it. I mean, Evangelion is one of the single most heavily merchandised franchises in the world, and the Rebuild movies have helped to keep that going.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Heavyarms55

@CanisWolfred Oh! Well that's good news for me then! I will look forward to it!

Feel free to add me

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic