Forums

Topic: All-Encompassing E3 2018 Thread

Posts 101 to 120 of 1,693

Grumblevolcano

@EvilLucario At least 1 more Fire Emblem character seems inevitable. Probably Alm, Celica or the main character of FE Switch (apparently that game is still coming out this year).

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Octane

I like E3, it means I can spend an entire week complaining about everything and nothing, and it doesn't even matter because it gets drowned out by all the other complaints!

Octane

link3710

@Tsurii I'd lose it if they gave a full gameplay reveal of SMT V this year. That said, I don't expect it until next year at the earliest...

Alright, on the topic of wild predictions, the reason that M&R DLC is taking so long is that Ubisoft pulled staff and are working with Nintendo are cooking up a new crossover. Somehow they managed to actually plug their leaks for once (yeah right) and are going to surprise us this time. As much as I want a Rayman and Mario platformer (give me that amazing graphic design with Mario's tight controls), I'm going to say it'll be... Red Steel / Legend of Zelda. Because why not?

link3710

IceClimbers

Yeah they're kinda scraping the bottom of the barrel when it comes to reasonable first party characters for Smash.

Anyways, my delusional E3 prediction: A new Wave Race gets revealed, releases in August alongside Yoshi

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

GrailUK

@link3710 Steep / 1080.

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

Dogorilla

MarcelRguez wrote:

While it was fun to experience it as it happened, Smash 4 had a very protracted hype cycle. In retrospective, I kind of wish I hadn't seen all I saw before release (not just the trailers, but the daily pics as well). Leaving people a bit more in the dark this time would be fine by me, but it's not going to happen.

Yeah, the build-up to Smash 4 was exciting but kind of exhausting. I'm glad they haven't announced Smash Switch so far in advance this time. Hopefully they'll save some surprises for the game's release.

"Remember, Funky's the Monkey!"

Funky Kong

IceClimbers

Hey now, Duck Hunt, Bowser Jr, and the clones were left as surprises... or at least they would have been if it wasn't for the big ESRB leak

Grumblevolcano

@IceClimbers Dark Pit and Lucina weren't surprises, Dark Pit appeared in the Palutena trailer and Lucina appeared in the Robin trailer.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

shadow-wolf

My gut feeling tells me that Retro's mystery game will be revealed at E3. This is the same gut feeling that told me the Switch would be a success and that it would more or less match 3DS console sales (around 75 million), so it's worth listening to.

I can see it being a spring 2019 game to be the big game of the first half, as if it's a new IP Nintendo may feel that it may not be able to survive in the onslaught of more popular franchises during the fall and winter.

Edited on by shadow-wolf

shadow-wolf

IceClimbers

@Grumblevolcano Dark Pit wasn't known to be a separate playable character at the time though.

FragRed

@shadow-wolf Would Nintendo risk releasing such a big 5 year development title from one of their most important studios as a early 2019 title? I understand your point about new IP not being great for holiday release, but this game will have cost so much in development (plus the marketing push) it will need to sell millions to make it's money back.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

shadow-wolf

@FragRed I see what you mean, but this can be argued in another way as well. Because it cost so much money, they’d prefer to launch it at a time that is relatively quiet and free from competition so it can shine. What comes to mind is Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (a Retro Studios game) which was supposed to release Holiday 2013 but was instead delayed to the beginning of 2014 to spread out releases. They could do the same again for Retro’s new game.

Edited on by shadow-wolf

shadow-wolf

FragRed

@shadow-wolf Didn't Tropical Freeze bomb in Japan initially? I wouldn't be too surprised if whatever Retro is working on was more Western focused in terms of audience. It would be good for Nintendo to have a studio that can focus on such games to help drive sales in Europe and the US. I know Retro took on Alexander Brandon who is known for doing the music for games such as the original 2 Deus Ex games and looking at his Wikipedia page certainly has done a large amount of other games. Not that taking on such a musician necessarily means anything in terms of the type of game Retro is working on.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

shadow-wolf

@FragRed Yeah my gut feeling is that Retro’s game will be focused on the West. I also feel that it’s going to either be a new IP or a revival of a dormant IP, but regardless it’ll be focused on the West. It makes sense, Nintendo needs a studio to focus on the West and make a un-Nintendo game, and Retro is the one to do that. I’d guess they’re making a story driven adventure - think something like Uncharted perhaps. That’s one genre that Nintendo is lacking in.

shadow-wolf

FragRed

@shadow-wolf Yeah that all seems to point to a more Western focused game which makes sense. Retro Studios was initially set up to focus on the more mature games for the Gamecube, which of course Nintendo themselves don't produce. It was only with Donkey Kong Country that they moved away from those games. However I think Nintendo wants to have their own Naughty Dog - as you said games like Uncharted etc, and what better studio to use than one based in the US.

Nintendo are starting to make a push for publishing more mature/Western titles such as Bayonetta 2 and now 3, the new Metroid Prime 4 game, and likely Retro Studios games going forward.

-Green-

I'll lay down 10 snickers that the game Retro had mostly been working on up to this point is a new Donkey Kong.

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

Haruki_NLI

Retro Studios honestly feels like Nintendo's "Naughty Dog". A western studio that has infrequent games but when those games hit they hit hard.

That and everything they touch is revered as almost holy.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

-Green-

If they start oscar baiting I'll start being suspicious of their bloodline at that point.

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

ilikeike

I've got a hunch that we'll see Retro's project this year. I feel that the reason we haven't seen it yet is that it was originally developed as Wii U title and utilized the gamepad in several very specific ways, before being cancelled due to low Wii U sales and moved over to the Switch. And if it was designed with specifically the gamepad in mind, then Retro has surely had trouble in squeezing the game back onto a single screen for the Switch. But this year, it'll be ready. And it will be the Metroid Prime 4 of this year's presentation: it'll be announced, a few details/gameplay shared, and then it'll fade into the shadows for quite some time. But we'll know it's coming, and that will be more than enough for us.

Mario Galaxy is ten years old, and now I feel old.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.