Forums

Topic: Ideas for the site

Posts 1,521 to 1,540 of 2,633

Tasuki

@antdickens So I noticed that several long time threads have disappeared. I guess I was told that if a user deleted their account every thread they started goes as well. Is there no work around this unfortunate situation? It just seems kinda awful to lose such memorable long time threads just because a user's account gets deleted like the What Game are You Playing thread for example.

Can't their account just be locked instead of deleting it or something along those lines so we don't lose these threads?

I don't know if there is a possible way since I don't know programming but I figure it wouldn't hurt to ask.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Eel

Some of these users that delete their accounts are very adamant with their desire to erase all trail of their accounts.

Perhaps there could be something like… The thread stays, but with the creators name changed to something like “Deleted Account” and the original post maybe could get emptied if that’s important too.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Tasuki

@Eel Yeah something like that. I just don't think that because a user has a hissy fit or whatever that a whole thread that hundreds of users who responded and may even be ongoing should be removed like that. Honestly it makes me wonder if I should even contribute to a thread around here if it could be gone at a users whim. Just seems counterproductive for a site that has forums.

My Backlog

antdickens

@Tasuki yeah, unfortunately we’re legally obligated to remove all content when a user requests it. Currently that means when a topic is deleted it takes all the replies too. That said, I think we can add a special case that say any threads with over 100 replies are adopted by us even if the first post is blank or something.

@antdickens
Nintendo Life | Push Square | Pure Xbox | Time Extension

Switch Friend Code: SW-7806-7257-0597 | My Nintendo: antdickens | Nintendo Network ID: anthonyd | Twitter:

Eel

Maybe they could also enter some sort of limbo status, like a witness protection program, where regular users can’t access it until a mod or admin reviews the thread, to modify the title and content of the first post, and maybe even assign it a new owner (though using a generic deleted account placeholder would probably keep things simpler).

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

Tasuki

@antdickens Hmmm that definitely is unfortunate. I mean I can understand that the law is the law so if you have to delete their account then you don't have any choice, but that doesn't make sense that the whole thread is removed. Can't just thier posts be removed and everyone else's stay? Maybe it's just not possible I honestly don't know as I don't understand programming.

Anyway I should know though if there was a way you more then likely would have implemented it.

My Backlog

antdickens

@Tasuki @Eel okay I've made a change, when a user deletes their account, any threads with 50+ replies will be adopted by the site profile account, example here: https://www.nintendolife.com/forums/general_discussion/whats_...

I think 50 is about right in terms of the threshold. I don't want to keep /all/ topics and only the bigger ones.

@antdickens
Nintendo Life | Push Square | Pure Xbox | Time Extension

Switch Friend Code: SW-7806-7257-0597 | My Nintendo: antdickens | Nintendo Network ID: anthonyd | Twitter:

Snatcher

@Northwind I agree, I liked this change as well, Also I wanted to note, I'm glade you came back, even if its every now and again.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

I’m very much alive!

Current obsession: Persona 3 reload.

Eel

@Northwind interestingly, it seems to have an adverse effect. Since people can see these comments have been removed, suddenly they get the impression that the site is now censoring huge amounts of comments, and start asking about it. Sometimes even reposting their removed comments.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

Pirate1

Just a thought, would it be possible to have a pinned folder at the top (of, for example, All Topics) titled Games that houses all game-specific threads? As those don’t typically die out ever and there seem to be quite a few of them. It may make sorting/searching through the other threads easier if there’s not game ones included in the same space. Maybe lock creating new threads under Games unless a mod sees a new one created in the General area and moves it to the Games folder?

Pirate1

Snatcher

@Northwind I agree with what you said, I don't think there has been more deleting, as I have always notice when it happens.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

I’m very much alive!

Current obsession: Persona 3 reload.

Dogorilla

@antdickens Just to let you know I'm getting a mildly annoying bug with the forums. When I click on a thread I've looked at before, instead of showing me the first unread post it sometimes either goes to the top of the page or a few posts down from the first unread post. It happens on desktop and mobile.

"Remember, Funky's the Monkey!"

Funky Kong

Dogorilla

@antdickens I can if that would help but what happens most of the time is that it goes a few posts further down than it should, which wouldn't be really clear on a video. I only know it's happening because I remember which post I read last, then when I click on the thread I scroll up and see one or more posts that I haven't read.

"Remember, Funky's the Monkey!"

Funky Kong

RR529

I'm not sure where to go to suggest an article, but how about an article highlighting Japanese developed sports games on Switch to play while watching the Tokyo Olympics?

Of course you could list the obvious ones like the official Olympic games (both the regular & Mario/Sonic variants), but also cover other titles that feature Olympic sports such as Go Vacation (various), Mario Tennis Aces, Mario Golf Super Rush (golf is in it this year), & DOA Extreme 3 (beach volleyball). Of course these would all be Japanese games to honor the fact that the event is taking place in Japan.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic