Forums

Topic: Ideas for the site

Posts 1,221 to 1,240 of 2,597

Quarth

@antdickens Please, can you do something about the headlines?

They are sometimes confusing to read, as you use capital letters at the beginning of every new word. Sometimes it's hard to tell what the title of the game is, when it doesn't stand out.

For example, what is easier to read, this:

NEWS Killer Ducks And Deadly Chickens Star In Blazing Beaks, A Twin-Stick Shooter Out On Switch Today

or this:

NEWS Killer ducks and deadly chickens star in Blazing Beaks, a twin-stick shooter out on Switch today

?

Readability is very important. Just my thoughts.

Edited on by Quarth

Friend code: SW-3941-9887-2293

antdickens

@Quarth it's called Title Case and it's an editorial stylistic choice that we've used since day one - it's a common style choice across news publications. You don't capitalise every single word though, so it would be more like:

"Killer Ducks and Deadly Chickens Star in Blazing Beaks, a Twin-Stick Shooter Out On Switch Today"

It's not something we're looking at changing to be honest, but it's useful feedback

@antdickens
Nintendo Life | Push Square | Pure Xbox | Time Extension

Switch Friend Code: SW-7806-7257-0597 | My Nintendo: antdickens | Nintendo Network ID: anthonyd | Twitter:

CurryPowderKeg79

Come on Sell some of those sweet NintendoLife shirts on this site. It could be free advertisement for this site and you could make a buck or two. Or if your worried about getting into retail, returns Ect. you at least a couple of times a year have some fun giveaways where you give them away. RULES: One entry per Household and Size desired must be stated at time of entry or a random size will be selected. and of course Sorry no returns or exchanges as this was a free giveaway and sizes where deter-mend at entry. But basically i just want one of those sweet shirts.

Edited on by CurryPowderKeg79

(CURRENTLY PLAYING)
ASPHALT 9: LEGENDS

Switch Friend Code: SW-3830-1045-2921

CurryPowderKeg79

Cool @antdickens i've got $50 coming to ya if your a yes vote or will change your vote to yes.

(CURRENTLY PLAYING)
ASPHALT 9: LEGENDS

Switch Friend Code: SW-3830-1045-2921

Quarth

@antdickens Maybe you can put game titles in commas?

NEWS Killer Ducks And Deadly Chickens Star In "Blazing Beaks", A Twin-Stick Shooter Out On Switch Today

"You don't capitalise every single word though"

But every word is capitalised in your headlines. Or do I misunderstand your answer?

Thanks for the reply, anyway.

Eel

Maybe the game name could be a darker shade of color compared to the rest of the title

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

klingki

Morpheel wrote:

Maybe the game name could be a darker shade of color compared to the rest fkt he title

Yeah, or like italicized or something.

klingki

Tyranexx

Morpheel wrote:

Maybe the game name could be a darker shade of color compared to the rest fkt he title

The main reason why I make game titles bold in many of my posts is to make them easier to read and to make them stand out.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Quarth

Something else I would like to see is more original work from NL. Not just reviews and ranking lists, but actual journalistic digging. Sometimes you do interviews and features, and that is great, but I would also love to see you reach out to devs and publishers about gaming news, not just re-reporting from other sources which you do A LOT! I know it's easier to just re-report with some ads added for quick profit and probably how it works on a lot of gaming news sites, but some more effort would be appreciated. It would strenghten your brand.

For example (which I also pointed out in the article):
https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/05/citizens_of_earth_i...

Here you could have reached out to Nintendo or Atlus and asked why the game was removed. It would have made it a much more interesting article than just the re-report piece that it is.

I understand that you don't always have the time or resources to reach out to the people in the industry, but sometimes I think it would raise the quality of this site, if journalism is what you consider yourselves doing.

Hey, I'm just here on my free time and no one's forcing me to visit, but I enjoy being here as I like the community (well most of it) and some of the content. But as I care about this place, I think it's important to voice when something needs to be improved.

Edited on by Quarth

Lroy

@antdickens Any progress on getting Nintendo Life onto TapaTalk? Uploading photos to this forum is the bane of my activity here.

🇬🇧 Nintendo Switch FC: 3127 6508 1219 |
🇬🇧 3DS FC: 0361 9527 6404 |
Nintendo Switch Arcade Enthusiast 🕹 | 🚀
Retro Gamer | Digital Pinball Fan
Adult Switch Gamers Discord

Grumblevolcano

With E3 closing in fast, will Nintendo Life be doing a stream chat for Microsoft’s press conference?

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Octane

@Grumblevolcano They did do it last year? PushSquare probably will, since they did it last year as well, and Sony's not doing anything either.

Octane

Grumblevolcano

@Octane Only PushSquare did last year and we know there’ll at least be some Switch relevant stuff this time given Cuphead had 2019 DLC announced last year.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Dogorilla

Is there some security issue with this site? I noticed a while ago that when using the site on Chrome, it said 'Not secure' at the top of the page, but I never thought much of it and it doesn't seem to say it any more. Yesterday though, I was looking at an old NL news article on my phone, and halfway down the page there was one of those shady 'Congratulations, you are eligible to win an iPhone' ads. It actually said 'Congratulations' out loud a few times through the phone's speaker. Then when I tried to go to another page on the site it came up with a warning about potential hackers or something, and told me to go back. Not sure if that was a genuine warning or not, but either way it may be worth looking into the site's security @antdickens

"Remember, Funky's the Monkey!"

Funky Kong

antdickens

@Dogorilla nah, the 'not secure' would just be that you were viewing the site on HTTP rather than HTTPS... browsers now display a warning about this.

As for the iPhone ad, that just sounds like a bad ad... if you could send over a screenshot that would help us get it banned from the system as we don't want crappy ads like that. If you can email that to [email protected] that would be super helpful! Thanks!

@antdickens

Switch Friend Code: SW-7806-7257-0597 | My Nintendo: antdickens | Nintendo Network ID: anthonyd | Twitter:

antdickens

@Lroy from what I can tell TapaTalk is a completely different platform, and therefore not something we will be able to support. By not allowing users to upload images directly we are somewhat protecting ourselves from bad users; if we added the functionality people could upload inappropriate stuff to our servers, which we don't want. That said, we could probably add support for something like Imgur or another image sharing system so you can upload directly to those via our pages.

@antdickens

Lroy

@antdickens Thanks for the response. I won’t pretend to know anything about TapaTalk and how it works at a software level but I am slightly surprised so many small, hobby forums can use TapaTalk but NintendoLife - a fairly high-profile commercial forum cannot?

I would certainly welcome some form of functionality where we as users can upload photos here directly - no matter what magic you guys are working behind the scenes to enable that e.g. it actually uploads to a 3rd-party image hosting site etc.

At present, I have to use tinypic to upload a photo and then copy and paste the url that generates. I do this all on mobile phone - rendering the whole process a cumbersome chore.

1st world problems an’ all 😉

Edited on by Lroy

🇬🇧 Nintendo Switch FC: 3127 6508 1219 |
🇬🇧 3DS FC: 0361 9527 6404 |
Nintendo Switch Arcade Enthusiast 🕹 | 🚀
Retro Gamer | Digital Pinball Fan
Adult Switch Gamers Discord

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic