Forums

Topic: Still Playing 3DS in 2022?

Posts 41 to 60 of 127

WoomyNNYes

Because of the thread, I played a bunch of Mario Kart 7 online races last night.

Extreme bicycle rider (<--Link to a favorite bike video)
'Tendo liker

iLikeUrAttitude

I still play my 3ds everyday its an amazing console and my personal favorite of all time with an almost untouchable library of games that the switch still has yet to surpass let alone reach.
Over the past couple of weeks I've been consistently playing new games on it along with my switch as well as revisiting old ones I either haven't finished or just find that much fun.
And emulation/homebrewing reignited my love for the system more than ever now.
Theres something almost magical about putting custom themes on your 3ds, and getting access to even more games with an even larger VC as well as mods and fan translations of english patches of games I wouldn't have been able to play otherwise.

As for game recommendations if you want to get into more RPGs I recommend Dragon Quest 8, its a good entry point of the series as well as a fan favorite.
@Not_Soos

Edited on by iLikeUrAttitude

Good... good
Now play Dragon Quest

Late

Clocked in ~160 hours of play time last year and I currently have 13,5 hours under my belt for this year. In other words, yes, I am still using my 3DS. I'm currently playing Detective Pikachu in Japanese.

It's its, not it's.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8287-7444-2602 | Nintendo Network ID: LateXD

Not_Soos

@Dany4k Ah, yes! The Activity Log was great! The Switch's play time is pretty lame in comparison. It doesn't have to show my daily play times, but at least give me an accurate number instead of 5-hour increments and don't limit it to the last 20 games I've played! Pretty sure in Japan, Nintendo has a smartphone app you can download that shows your cumulative play history for Switch, Wii U, and 3DS . I desperately want that to come to the West.

Not_Soos

Switch Friend Code: SW-0365-3043-2731 | 3DS Friend Code: 2836-0531-4472 | My Nintendo: Aaron | Nintendo Network ID: 3DGamr | Twitter:

Not_Soos

@gcunit I actually do have Extra Epic Yarn; pretty sure I mentioned in my original post that I picked it up in 2020. I love it! The graphical compromise isn't nearly as bad as Woolly World to me, since the game was originally in standard definition on Wii. The game just has simpler graphics in general with everything being outlines and flat backgrounds instead of fully 3D models that are supposed to look like they were knitted together. Epic Yarn just translates to 3DS way better to me.

We're still in January, so no shame in not picking up your 3DS yet, lol. It's still early, and there's just so much to play on Switch right now. The Tetris 99 themes are awesome, though grinding to unlock them has made me incredibly burned-out. I didn't get into the game until last year because I had one of those early Pro Controllers with the junky control pad and I didn't knew they updated the game to let you remap movement to the analog. I'll be really happy when the Mario All-Stars and Bowser's Fury themes finally come back around.

That's an insane number of games and systems, dude! Can I... can I borrow some money? Haha!

Not_Soos

Switch Friend Code: SW-0365-3043-2731 | 3DS Friend Code: 2836-0531-4472 | My Nintendo: Aaron | Nintendo Network ID: 3DGamr | Twitter:

Kayvoo

@Not_Soos
Bang on the money with your general assessment!
I'm not so pessimistic, I've never stopped playing my older games so comparison is inevitable.

Just a bit disappointed but personally shmups have transformed my Switch from my Wii U.5 to an absolutely essential console. The 8BitDo arcade stick has been my favourite peripheral since my sim rig & completely elevates arcade games, shmups & Streets of Rage 4.

I'm pleased that Metroid has had a quality release & gained new fans, what you mentioned regarding the new aggressive pricing model is spot on though. While Metroid Prime 1 & 2 are almost holy to me, I could smash any 2D Metroid in just a few hours. This, coupled with the fact that I remember this being designed for DS & sat on for years, put me right off. I'll run through it one day when it's priced appropriately.

If you have a Wii U I think Twisted got a VC release? I had to import my GBA copy because the motion sensing cart contains mercury so was illegal in the UK!

Back to 3DS, the Sega 3D games are amazing & the best versions of Outrun etc.

My Heroes:
Frank Zappa
Bill Hicks
Satoru Iwata

Nintendo Network ID: Kayvoo

Not_Soos

@6ch6ris6 Lol, I have a New 3DS XL but I miss my og model that I traded in. The launch model of 3DS had such a sleek beautiful design. I've never seen anything like it. It looks like an expensive sports car with a sick paint job. It really screamed luxury to me. Every console since the 80's has tried to go for a futuristic look, but the 3DS is the only one to really nail it for me. It's sooooo much nicer-looking than the Nintendo Switch. I know a lot of people prefer a matte finish because it's print-resistant, but I dunno, man. The original 3DS is the prettiest console ever made with such a glorious array of colors. AND it had a retractable metal stylus! The one on New 3DS is just regular plastic and it's actually quite small. Very uncomfortable to hold.

Not_Soos

6ch6ris6

@Not_Soos i find the regular 3DS very uncomfortbale by now and my right shoulder button has been used way too much

Ryzen 5 2600
2x8GB DDR4 RAM 3000mhz
GTX 1060 6GB

ReaperMelia

@Not_Soos Starting with Three Houses is definitely a fair choice if you prefer the Switch! I will say that one's also fairly different from the 3DS games since it focuses a lot on social management elements (you spend a lot of time in a central hub area talking to other characters, doing little quests, and other things like that) on top of the traditional tactical RPG combat system, so if you aren't into its social elements if/when you try it, those are way less prevalent in the 3DS games. I'm admittedly not into the social management side of Three Houses, so I wasn't a huge fan of it myself, but a lot of people do like that aspect and the tactical elements of the game are still a lot of fun.

Tri-Force Heroes is one I've thought I should pick up and try for myself as well. Thankfully, last I checked, it goes for pretty cheap these days at least, so that makes it easier to give a shot. Federation Force would be great to see get a Switch remaster, the controls are my only real criticism and being able to play it on a system with two proper analog sticks would do a ton to help there. I definitely think the bad timing is the main reason why the game flopped. If it swapped release dates with Samus Returns and was announced as a bonus spin-off right after Prime 4, I don't think the reception would have been nearly as bad. It just wasn't the right game for reviving the series after a long hiatus.

"Little by little. Each day as it comes. That's how we should live."

Tyranexx

Why wouldn't I? I still have some decent games for both the DS and 3DS backlogged. Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology, Final Fantasy IV, Kirby: Planet Robobot, Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr.'s Journey, Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy, Dragon Quest VII....

Not to mention there are a couple of eShop-exclusive titles I still need to pick up.

Edited on by Tyranexx

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Ninfan

Still playing resident evil the mercenaries 3D. Did have it all unlocked but had to start again as I deleted everything. It is a pity nintendo didn't really make enough games with the 3D feature. I hope the 3 D feature is used again In any console๐Ÿค—

Ninfan

gcunit

@Not_Soos I'm sorry, I did read your thread, but I guess what with it being longer than Lord of the Rings I must have forgotten some of the detail ๐Ÿ˜›

I had a 3DS session last night in honour of this thread. 1.5hrs of Samus Returns, finally making some progress after being a bit lost for ideas last time I played it, and then some Woolly World just to remind myself how bonkers you are for dissing it ๐Ÿคญ - graphical sacrifices or not, the vibe from that game is just splendid and deserves a space in every 3DS library.

I'm afraid I can't give you any money, I've spent it all on video games, but the comfort of having some 3DS units in reserve is really nice - if I was just rocking a single 3DS at this time I would be scared to use it.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Not_Soos

@JuveLeo Y'know, I mentioned earlier that I wasn't interested in going back and playing the DS library of games, but I never did play Spirit Tracks or Phantom Hourglass. Not sure how much I would like them with their heavy reliance on touch controls, but I would be interested in playing them. I would like to know the story, if nothing else. All I know is that Zelda's dead spirit accompanies you, there's an annoying dungeon you backtrack to multiple times, Linebeck is apparently a pretty cool character, one puzzle requires you to close your DS to press the screens together, and Full Steam Ahead is a banger. That is the extent of my knowledge on both games, and of course the fact that one involves traveling via train and the other a steam boat. A remaster of both that gets rid of the touch screen would be sick, although I haven't played most handheld Zelda games including the Oracle games and Minish Cap, so I think I would like to see those remastered first. I know I can buy them on Virtual Console, but it's hard to go back to the visuals of Game Boy.

It's funny, actually--back when I was in high school, there was this other kid in my class who had special needs, and one day he just reaches into his pocket and randomly pulls out a cartridge of Spirit Tracks and offered me to take it. I don't think he even knew I played Nintendo games. It was a sweet offer, and I wanted to take it so badly lol, but I didn't know if he fully understood what he was doing and I didn't want him to regret it later, so I turned it down but thanked him. If that was some sort of morality test, I hope I at least passed, haha.

Edited on by Not_Soos

Not_Soos

Not_Soos

@WoomyNNYes Nice! Mario Kart 8 is probably my favorite overall, but 7 is pretty close. It has a great roster of both new and retro tracks. Coconut Mall and Maple Treeway are my two favorite tracks of all-time, and then Airship Fortress, Waluigi Pinball, and Koopa Cape are also way up there, just to name a few.

MK7's Rainbow Road is actually my favorite in the whole series--I love how it's just one giant lap and you race around the ring of Saturn and then on the surface of the moon with low gravity. Wuhu Island is also great, and I'm sad it wasn't in MK8, though Deluxe did add the Battle Mode course. I do think the Bowser's Castle track in this game was pretty weak--very forgettable compared to most others.

As I said in the original post, maybe I could coordinate an online tournament or something in the thread if people are interested. Would you be down?

Not_Soos

Not_Soos

@iLikeUrAttitude Wow, everyday, huh? Now that's commitment! I'm confident I would love Dragon Quest 8, and if I knew it wouldn't be ported to Switch, I would have already purchased it by now. Do you think I should hold off, or are the chances pretty slim?

Not_Soos

Not_Soos

@6ch6ris6 Yeah, that's understandable. The OG model definitely isn't the most practical and misses a lot of great quality-of-life features. That said, it's still a gorgeous little system, and if I were a wealthy man, I would probably purchase one of every color and start a little collection display or something. I looked on eBay, and most colors can be found in decent condition for like $80, which is way better than I would have expected. Most of them are Japanese models though, meaning they're region-locked and don't support English, so they'd be effectively useless. Not that I would play them since they'd be for a display, but maybe buying them only to lock them in a glass case would make me as bad as Logan Paul, I dunno. But again, I don't have the kind of money for that anyways, haha. Hope you can get your hands on a better one at a reasonable price, if that's something you're looking into.

Edited on by Not_Soos

Not_Soos

Anti-Matter

New 3DS XL have louder sound than the Old model, that's why i have three 3DS XL machines from USA + Japan + PAL.
Playing NDS games on New 3DS XL is like playing with NDSi XL PLUS.
Bigger screen, louder sound, longer battery life, economic machine for playing both 3DS and NDS games.

Anti-Matter

Not_Soos

@ReaperMelia Honestly, the thing I don't know I'll like about Fire Emblem is just the real-time grid gamelplay. I heard one person describe it as "weeb chess," which doesn't really sound like my cup of tea, haha. But I've played almost every other Nintendo franchise and I've heard such good things about it, so I am curious. It would be nice to finally identify with Chrom, Byleth and the like when I'm playing Smash and not just view them as another anime swordfighter I have no connection with. I'm sure the music and story are both great, it's just a matter of whether I can get into the gameplay.

I actually do really like the idea of roaming around a 3D hub area, so I don't know that I would mind the social aspects. As long as it's nothing too cringe, lol. Speaking of tea, I know there's the whole one-on-one "tea time" thing with your students while you're the professor, which...um...I guess? It's weird to me, I don't really care for that sort of thing, but it's not as cringe to me as the petting mechanic or whatever in Fates. Ironically, the "fanservice" is another one of those things that kinda holds me back from being a fan. I don't care about finding a senpai waifu chan (o///o) and all that stuff in the slightest. Not to shame anybody who does, I'm not judging, I just personally hate that kind of stuff, lol. I'm sure it probably gets blown out of proportion and isn't actually that bad, though.

I agree, Federation Force is a victim of circumstance. I remember Reggie comparing the backlash to Wind Waker's original reveal and saying people would appreciate it in time. That hasn't happened yet, but I think it still could. Reggie never said that about Amiibo Festival or Star Fox Zero, so I really think he believed in it. I'm glad that despite the sales failure, Next Level was able to turn it around and make a game so successful Nintendo acquired the studio. Hats off to them, even if I think Luigi's Mansion 3 has some pretty glaring flaws that keep me from calling it a masterpiece.

Maybe we could all get Federation Force and Tri Force Heroes and plan sessions or something, haha. I doubt anyone else in the world would want to play them with us, and they're probably dirt-cheap. Maybe Fantasy Life while we're at it--heard that one's great, but don't know who I would play it with. Only if you guys are interested, I'm not gonna demand you all spend your money on old games or be butthurt about it if you don't, haha.

There's actually a few mediocre Wii U games I could probably find in a bargain bin somewhere that I would also like to try someday. Specifically, the Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures games (Heard they're actually decent. Graphics look good, though I hate Pac-Man's redesign. I love 3D platformers and have a lot of nostalgia for Pac-Man World 2, so it might be a little bit of comfort food.) and Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric. I know, I know, why on Earth would I want to play that game? I'm not even a big Sonic guy, but I think the fact that is doesn't even really look like a Sonic game is what appeals to me, haha. It reminds me of the budget 3D platformers I used to play in the GameCube days like Ty the Tasmanian Tiger or something. Nothing mind-blowing, but sometimes I like games that don't try to re-invent the wheel. It looks like a basic platformer, but mostly inoffensive to me, except that it uses the Sonic branding. As its own little indie thing, I wonder if people would still hate it.

Edited on by Not_Soos

Not_Soos

Not_Soos

@Ninfan Yeah, I would love to see stereoscopic 3D brought back in the future. Maybe on Nintendo's next system, though I really don't see them doing it anytime soon. It's a shame some of the games in the 3DS' last few years just bypassed the feature entirely, as I was one of the people who actively used it and thought it added so much to the experience. Nintendo has a way of revolutionizing the gaming industry with new ideas, but the glasses-free 3D should have revolutionized technology in general and I am both shocked and disappointed other companies didn't take advantage of it with glasses-free movies and TV sets.

Some games definitely made better use of the 3D than the others. It always looked the best whenever things were kept relatively close to the foreground. Some games like Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D just look awful in 3D. Everything is pushed so far into the background that it loses the depth of field, and it's as if everything is just one one layer really, really far away. It's also super hard on the eyes and creates an awful double-vision effect I have to look away from. I don't know why they chose to make certain games like that. I think they got better at it over time though, as Majora's Mask looks way better and less painful on the eyes in 3D than Ocarina of Time.

Not_Soos

Not_Soos

@gcunit Ouch, two roasts in a single reply! Haha, just kidding. I'm an English major, so I can be very wordy. The concept of '"concise" is nowhere to be found in my vocabulary, lol.

I don't diss Woolly World; it's a great game on Wii U and probably my favorite Yoshi game. I just thought the graphics were a rather rough in comparison from my time playing the 3DS demo. I'd like to play it again on a console that isn't pretty much dead to me, I just don't know if it'd be worth investing $40 to double-dip when it might come to Switch someday. Crafted World has been out long enough, I don't see it selling a ton more units. They also ported Hyrule Warriors to the 3DS before later bringing it to the Switch, so why not do it again? I'm sure the 3DS version was as good as they could make it with the hardware restraints, and I'm glad they didn't remove the 3D feature unlike a lot of those late ports. But the art direction of that game depends so much on the realistic yarn textures to make you feel like you're in a living diorama, and the 3DS just doesn't have the resolution to capture that.

Also, darn. You cheapskate. Guess that means I'll have to find a real job, then. ๐Ÿ˜“๐Ÿ™„

Not_Soos

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic