Forums

Topic: Metroid: Samus Returns

Posts 621 to 640 of 716

bellow

Anyone struggle with that chase down sequence? I was in double figures before I put that ugly THING down.

Checked a YouTube video and, sure enough, there were a lot of 'that was the end of my game' comments.

Nice payoff, mind 😁

Edited on by Eel

bellow

meleebrawler

@bellow There is a bit of trial and error involved, but the segments are short, have checkpoints between each and having multiple path choices until the end keep it bearable but exciting. You almost always have a way out if you think fast.

And yes, you get incredibly powerful, useful tools for winning both encounters. Power Bombs in particular, are likely more powerful and useful here than in any other Metroid game. They are as powerful and quick to detonate as Other M's version, killing pretty much any normal enemy instantly without the lengthy charge or cooldown times, though ammo is somewhat rare.

Alone, a force. Together, a force of nature.

3DS FC: 2535-3888-1548

3DS Friend Code: 2535-3888-1548 | Nintendo Network ID: meleebrawler

FragRed

Today after work, I decided to buy Metroid Samus Returns digitally with the 10% discount. Never played a 2D Metroid properly before (I did try the original on the NES Mini). I must admit at first I really didn't feel like I was enjoying the game. But that is partly due to me still getting the hang of the moves and controls. However, although I have only now just got the ability to scan, I am really starting to enjoy the game. Still not great at it but I am getting better.

I was also skeptical about how good the 3D in this game was, but I am actually really loving the visuals and love the details in the background. Anyway, going to be playing this a lot during breaks at work, at the pub and just in general.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Araquanid

Finally 100%'d the game last night, total game time is 10:47:04 (counting finding the save station)

That was way too easy to 100%.. back in metroid zero mission and fusion, even if you knew where the hidden stuff was, you'd struggle trying to figure out what you'd have to do or you'd struggle trying to actually pull off tricks inorder to get it (such as shine sparking or morph ball shine sparking.). There was only 1 legitmately hard collectable that took awhile for me to pull off/figure out, and it was only because the game tunnel visioned a grapple point where you couldn't see it even if you jumped, so instead the game had me thinking I'd have to pull off a very tricky powerbomb jump during phase shift before the block I'd fall through disappears. Eventually randomly grapple hooked, and there i was.

However not only in samus returns is it very easy to figure out what you need to do, its very easy knowing where stuff is because of the scan function, and I'm not talking about the fact it reveals everywhere, I'm talking about how the game tells you were you've used it before (background of the map radius is a lighter blue) so you can just spam it on a grid until you've uncovered everything.

ADDITIONALLY the map in the menu tells you a percentage of how many unlocks in an area you've gotten, so basically you just keep scanning until you're at 100% completion for that area. I can't remember if this was in other metroids but I went into areas to complete and was out within 5-10 minutes as it felt pretty straight forward picking up what I missed.

Also the rewards you got for your task were... inconsistent. The hardest expanions for me turned out to be regular missiles usually, which was a bummer, granted it didn't matter at that point because I never needed ammo due to how much I ran around and into ammo stations, but super missiles and power bombs would've been appreciated as better rewards for the effort. Doesn't matter either way but satisfaction in doing those felt odd.

I might do one more run of the game without the use of scan visor, but if I developed the same memory of where stuff was as I've gotten from doing it for fusion and zero mission, it'd be a cake walk.

Ironically, the hardest part about the game, is the playthrough itself. Bosses felt overtuned (early metroids were significantly stronger then later ones, I beat omega from 1 energy tank first try, where as first gamma took at least 5 attempts. Additionally two bosses I won't name weren't as fun as they were frustrating). Even the enemies would sometimes do an entire energy tank worth of damage if you didn't parry them.

Edited on by Araquanid

3DS FC: 0774-5098-1425
Pokemon Sun IGN: Joe
My Shinies
(User name changed in November 2016, MegaBeedrill)

3DS Friend Code: 0774-5098-1425 | Nintendo Network ID: FreakyMantis17 | Twitter:

otterskateboard

@Araquanid

"so instead the game had me thinking I'd have to pull off a very tricky powerbomb jump during phase shift before the block I'd fall through disappears."

The exact same thing happened to me. I was stuck trying that for ages until I gave the grapple a try.

I was quite happy with the difficulty level, 100%ing was actually fun rather than a tedious chore. I understand some people like a more traditional secret hunt, running around shooting at every block but its just never been my cup of tea.

I enjoyed the bosses but had a lot of trouble with a certain excavatory foe. Currently playing through on hard mode and dreading the encounter

meleebrawler

@Araquanid Zero Mission had a tally of item pickups in every area late in the game. Which is appropriate as that was the last 2D Metroid to use item percentage to gauge your ending. I'm of the mind that if you're going to hide lore behind completion, you better make that goal feasible for the average player otherwise they'll just go online to see it and save themselves hassle.

The way the game is structured, I feel that the expected path players take involves doing their best to 100% the game to unlock the memories for good on that file, then do the usual speedruns and/or low-percent runs the series is known for. The endings are rewarded just like Super; three solely dependent on time.

Vinny

I got mad hand cramps playing this on a Original 3DS. Well, my hands are big and the original 3DS has a weird squared shape. I assume the others 3DSs are more comfortable because of the more rounded corners.

It would have been way better if you could just toggle the spider ball on/off instead of holding R though.

This blue eye perceives all things conjoined. The past, the future, and the present. Everything flows and all is connected. This eye is not merely seen reality. It is touching the truth. Open the eye of truth... There is nothing to fear.

PSN: mrgomes2004

canucksfan989

Damn what an amazing game just finished it 100 percent and a shocking 13:25:16. I think i read there's a special ending for under 4 hours i'll be lucky to get that to under 6 hours lol. Although i think i was around 12 plus hours on Super Metroid in my first playthrough and my best time was 2 hours i just need to find the best paths. Never played the original outside of maybe 5-10 minutes on an emulator but damn this is probably the hardest 2D Metroid for me. I wonder if they're planning on the next 2D Metroid to be on Switch after they do the 3D Metroid it would probably long enough time after to have them do another 2D. My only gripe has to do with the controls and why they didn't let us use D-Pad for movement i know they would of had to switch the Aeon abilities to something else but damn was it hard trying to do a morph ball mid jump with the analog stick.

Edited on by canucksfan989

canucksfan989

RR529

Any tips for the robot boss at the end of Area 6?

I can pretty easily beat it's first 2 phases, but have no idea how to damage it in it's 3rd phase. It just repeats the three actions of slamming it's arms down, firing lasers from the background, and trying to vacuum you up. I've tried shooting Super Missiles into the vacuum, but they just bounce off, and it doesn't seem to bring it's head to the foreground in this phase.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Bolt_Strike

RR529 wrote:

Any tips for the robot boss at the end of Area 6?

I can pretty easily beat it's first 2 phases, but have no idea how to damage it in it's 3rd phase. It just repeats the three actions of slamming it's arms down, firing lasers from the background, and trying to vacuum you up. I've tried shooting Super Missiles into the vacuum, but they just bounce off, and it doesn't seem to bring it's head to the foreground in this phase.

You were close. You have to let him drop Bombs into the vacuum, not shoot Super MIssiles.

But yeah, that's somewhat of a Guide Dang It. There's no real indication that you need to let it suck up your Bombs on the second phase, but all of the sudden you need to for the third.

Edited on by Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

meleebrawler

@Bolt_Strike Personally, finding out you need to get it to suck bombs in is not that big of a logic leap if you see that missiles get sucked in. What's more unbelievable to me is how the Spider Ball makes you totally immune to the suction.

Edited on by meleebrawler

RR529

Thanks for the tips. That was an ordeal.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Tyranexx

...You know it's time to stop following the thread when you see that much text in spoiler tags. XD It'll be a bit before I make it to this game....

Currently playing: Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch), Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

bellow

Blimey, what the hell are you supposed to do with that metroid who sits on you in area 8. I'm flummoxed.

bellow

Namco

bellow wrote:

Blimey, what the hell are you supposed to do with that metroid who sits on you in area 8. I'm flummoxed.

Just turn into a ball, don't move and drop a bomb!

Also you only have to freeze them once and then shoot a Super Missile to exterminate them. Repeatedly going Ice beam > Missile > Ice Beam > Missile > Ice Beam > Missile also works.

Edited on by Namco

A piece of the Triforce appeared before you! (>'.')> Touch it now!

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2624-1857 | Nintendo Network ID: Acegamer-62

bellow

Are you sure? I unloaded nine superbombs on him and a million normal ones and he didn't die. I also tried your ice/missile solution and that didn't work. I mean the nornal looking metroid who wraps himself around you at the end of the game. He's like the last metroid of the 40.

bellow

meleebrawler

@bellow You mean the baby? You can't kill that one, you'll create a time paradox!

bellow

No, sir Anthony was right. I was messing up. How did I forget about freezing metroids? I've been freezing metroids for years🤔.

And, I'm now standing looking at my ship. Saving the end for later.

bellow

Pho

Just got 100% of items, and all that's left is the final boss. I'll have to do it later because my lunch break is over.

Poyo! <3

3DS Friend Code: 1950-8691-6279 | Nintendo Network ID: xPH03N1Xx86

Old_Goat_Ninja

Back into the game again. On Saturday I made it to the robot boss. That guy gave me problems. I tried multiple times and just couldn't beat him. Didn't take long to learn the pattern, I just kept making mistakes at different parts of the battle and when you do that, you lose a lot of health. I was frustrated and stopped playing until last night lol. Only took 2 tried to beat the robot this time, and when I did, I had almost all my health. Figures. Next 3 guys were pretty easy and I had no problems with them, then got to (what I think is the) final boss and he killed me easily. I quit after that, but only because it was late. Looking forward to giving it a real try later on this weekend.

Figured most everything in the game, but still haven't figured out how to get past the little crystals in certain areas. I assumed power bombs would do it, but nope.

Switch: SW-8029-5307-6701
PSN: Old_Goat_Ninja
XBL: Old Goat Ninja
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/OldGoatNinja

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic