Forums

Topic: Fire Emblem Echoes

Posts 181 to 200 of 280

HDXylophone

My opinion on the whole thing is that it's the thing you'd like if you like the old games and would like to see them with a fresh coat of paint or you never tried the, and want to. Like I've never played the first 3 games, so I'm playing Shadow Dragon and New Mystery instead of Dark Dragon and Old Mystery, much like how I'm eagerly awaiting this. The faithfulness is a good thing! That means that they're keeping to what made Gaiden Gaiden. If they changed it, many people would be crying foul about that, so I'm glad they didn't.

As far as fatigue goes, I'm very unused to the mechanic, so I can't say anything. However, I'm convinced that they put it in Echoes to test the waters for a Thracia remake. I also think that encouraging unit diversity isn't a bad thing, and could stand to be in some of the other FE games, like 7.

As far as it being inferior to Fates/Awakening, I would say that they both have good things about them. The other 3DS games have a lot of features the old ones don't, like marriage and pair up. However, I don't think that the lack of those features makes Echoes outright bad in comparison. I don't look at Pokemon Emerald and say: "It doesn't have a shiny charm or Z-moves, therefore it's bad." I look at the game for what it is.

Lastly, I for one hope this game does very well. I think that if it does, they will chance bringing the other JP-only games to international audiences. That would be good because although we do have the newer games, it's important to not lose sight of what got the series where it is today, where it began. And then there's the fact that unlike Fates/Awakening, I can play this game in public free of worry, since there aren't any super revealing characters.

HDXylophone

CrazedCavalier

@Frosty_09 Replayability is one of the few points of his review some argue against, actually.
As for Chapter 6: It's a few boat maps and then a ten floor dungeon with no save points against enemies that are made for heavily grinded teams. It's purely postgame stuff as well, with no dialogue or anything.

@HDXylophone People who like Gaiden still criticize its faults. The only reason they didn't change things is because of Japanese nostalgia pandering (and the fact that they wanted the game out by September 2016, according to the most recent interview).

"There's a very fine line between not listening and not caring. I like to think I walk that line every day of my life." -Leonard Church Jr.

Nintendo Network ID: thedanman88

yokokazuo

I was just thinking about the length earlier today. In Gaiden I'm at 75 hours, but the gameplay is pretty slow. With all the maps, I think it is a little short, slow gameplay aside. But I've enjoyed it quite a bit and i haven't really had a problem with most maps although a select few really stick out to me... Desert levels in particular and I don't think I really had a problem with the ship levels.
Just 2 more maps on Celica's side and a few left in Alm's for chapter 4 so I should be done in a week or two.

Still trying to stay dark about everything new, but I have heard a bit about what the extra chapter holds. I'll have to wait and see what I think of it in the end, but I think it sounds kind of interesting.

yokokazuo

3DS Friend Code: 1418-6707-5664 | Nintendo Network ID: yokokazuo

kkslider5552000

So since this is different from typical Fire Emblem, I presume this will be the objectively best Fire Emblem. (barring TMS and inevitably FE Warriors)

No seriously, I was planning to give FE another shot with Awakening at some point but I'd be more interested in this one from what I've seen of it.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

yokokazuo

Kind of a random question, but for those who have played Gaiden, has the game ever soft locked when attacking with a Falcon Knight?
I don't know if it has to do with their slayer skill and monsters, but twice when attacking they would hit the enemy, but the falcon knight just disappeared and the message saying how much damage they dealt stayed up. Music would keep going fine, but the combat wouldn't progress and I would be forced to reset or reload a save state.

yokokazuo

CrazedCavalier

Welp, the series 2 and 3 DLC got detailed: https://serenesforest.net/fire-emblem-echoes-shadows-valentia...
Featuring:
Tiered grinding maps (because now that they even exist they gotta milk that crowd even more)
Growth-boosting items (see above)
4th-tier classes that don't even have maps
"New" story chapters that re-use main game maps and unlock support conversations and memory scenes

Yeah, I'm ticked. I think grinding maps are stupid, but whatever. But this is a whole other level of greedy.
Everything besides the grinding DLC should've been done in the main game. They just cut it out and are going to milk players for stuff that should've either already been there or that would've made for a much better experience.

IS' DLC practices are total bull now.

Edited on by CrazedCavalier

"There's a very fine line between not listening and not caring. I like to think I walk that line every day of my life." -Leonard Church Jr.

CrazedCavalier

@Frosty_09 ...They always fail me. I have the right formatting, but sometimes they just don't work. Suppose that section of the post wasn't need anyway.

I was fine with Awakening's DLC besides the dedicated grinding stuff because it was mostly harmless and had no bearing on the main game (as well as offering extra challenges, such as the Challenge Pack and of course Apoethesis). I drew issue with Fates' Invisible History, but the complaints there are directly related to the game's writing at large. Here, there's no excuse.

CrazedCavalier

@DarthNocturnal The thing is, Fates' DLC sold a lot worse than Awakening's. Here, it seems like they just put the least amount of effort into it as possible for the sake of maximizing profit.

@Frosty_09 The only piece of series DLC I've ever bought was the Challenge Pack in Awakening and I plan to keep it that way.
The class DLC really rubs me the wrong way-- if you're going to do that, at least put a new map in-- and for the sake of making it feel worthwhile, have two different promotions unlocked per map (for instance: male and female mage are together, Alm and Celica, etc.). That way it'd actually be enticing, but what they're doing is the bare minimum.

yokokazuo

@DarthNocturnal really? That's rather expensive...
Well, not like I'm going to buy any at least.
In Awakening I got quite a bit, but haven't really gotten much else since then. Just got the ballista class and gold DLC in Fates which I'm happy enough with. (And I guess Revelations too if that counts, plan on eventually going through Birthright as well)
I don't mind a few bits of DLC in the game, but I hope IS doesn't have as much in the future...

yokokazuo

CrazedCavalier

@DarthNocturnal Add the cost of every piece of DLC from Awakening together and it'd cost much, much more than that. Same with Fates.

My issue lays with how little there is to the DLC overall. 3 grinding maps, 10 classes, and 4 prologue maps.
That's terrible by the standards Awakening and Fates' set.

CrazedCavalier

@DarthNocturnal Ah, overestimated things a bit.
Still, as you said the season pass makes everything feel much more upfront.
Funnily, Awakening's DLC in Japan was even more spread out-- straight through the end of September (it launched in April).

@Frosty_09 Welp, waiting for somebody to make it an image so I can set it as a desktop background (similar to how the My Nintendo background that cost 50 coins was immediately uploaded to the wiki at full resolution).

Haru17

All this pricing tomfoolery is a great way to make sure I never get into Fire Emblem.

Edited on by Haru17

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

CrazedCavalier

@Haru17 Seriously? Just ignore the DLC. For all my complaining about it, I'm just not buying any of it.

CrazedCavalier

@Haru17 Ah. Yeah, Fates isn't really a good first game.
If you have a Wii U or aren't afraid to emulate, I'd recommend FE7 (released simply as "Fire Emblem" over here) or FE8/Sacred Stones. They're both pretty easy and aren't too long overall (20-30 hours), serving as good introductions.

@Frosty_09 It sold as well as Nintendo expected it to. People were just taking the numbers without context and agenda pushing.
I fully expect the game to break a million by year's end.

Edited on by CrazedCavalier

Aqueous

Just a few more days or well 2 weeks and a bit.

I still got to finish my Conquest Lunatic classic run but we'll get there, unlike the Fates thread. I just never got around to it after I beat the 3 campaigns a long while back as planned, maybe I still should.

Edit: The DLC pricing is prohibiting this time. Maybe the extra story dlc if any of it.

Edited on by Aqueous

Guest on NFR 57: http://nintendofreeradio.podbean.com/category/episode-57/

3DS Friend Code: 2793-0600-1156 | Nintendo Network ID: AqueousDoubt | Twitter:

CrazedCavalier

Good grief. The way some people are reacting to the DLC is making me go
https://cdn.someecards.com/someecards/usercards/1345898700508...

As the first person on this site to complain about it, people are being ridiculous now. You've got people acting like it ruins the base product, people using it to fuel the Kimishima hate train, people using it as a proxy to freakin' crap on Paper Mario...

LzWinky

It is a bit steep since the DLC as a whole is worth more than the game itself.

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

CrazedCavalier

@TheLZdragon Yeah, it's priced way too high-- but the reactions have gotten far beyond the price point.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.