Forums

Topic: Etrian Odyssey Nexus

Posts 101 to 120 of 126

Quarth

@Spoony_Tech Thanks, will do that!

@Ralizah Yeah, it seems like one of those games that rewards patience and planning. Hopefully I will master it eventually (but if I got used to Dark Souls, this should be no problem). I set the game at the Basic difficulty.

Edited on by Quarth

Friend code: SW-3941-9887-2293

Eel

To be honest even with auto mapping on you still need to map quite a lot manually.

You get to add doors, paint environmental details like water and FOE behavior/field of action, note shortcuts and points of interest, etc.

So don't be shy of saving some time by letting the game add some of the floors/walls for you.

It's your game, the game provides you with options. Find the way that works for you.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Spoony_Tech

@Delibheel Quite frankly that's what I've been doing. I've maybe taken my stylus put 10 to 15 times so far. My gaming time these days is too valuable to stop and map everything. Doesnt hurt I know how the game works though.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

Ralizah

I think turning off automapping is good for developing a habit of checking every wall as soon as you get to them. If you don't, it's so easy to miss stuff that'll make your life easier later on.

To be fair, though, I also quite enjoy the mapping conceit in this series. Walls filling themselves automatically feels so... disconnected to me. It's busywork, but busywork that helps to maintain the illusion that you're actually exploring and charting these places.

Of course, if he finds the mapping to be a pain, then automapping is better if it improves his experience with the game.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

Eel

This game seems to be quite content with throwing you bosses left and right.

It's a bit harder than the previous ones (I played) so far.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

Spoony_Tech

@Ralizah Even with it on I still force myself to check every wall. Still, I know what to look for as far as shortcuts go. I would never tell someone new to the series though to use it.

This is definitely harder then the last few starting out. I wont say as hard as the first 2 but definitely harder then the last 3 main games.

Edited on by Spoony_Tech

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

Eel

Whew, finally done with the Lush Woodlands.

Almost messed up with the final boss. I forgot to keep an eye on the turn counter near the end of the battle, and had to stall for a few turns to revive most of my team.

Slow and steady did the job. Also got lucky with the Nerve Circles.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

MetalKingShield

Ralizah wrote:

@MetalKingShield I always played these games with an extremely similar party set-up (tank, medic, elemental user, pure attacker, and then usually someone who either inflicted binds or ailments), but EO5's bonkers classes really threw me off for a while. In the end, though, it led to some interesting changes, such as playing through the vast majority of the game without a dedicated healer, and learning to adapt to the bunker system (which I'm actually quite fond of now) as opposed to using a protector to line guard every turn.

Oh yeah, EO V is the best so far, in my opinion. Personally, I've always been a purist with the classes, so when I want someone who can inflict binds/ailments, I've always gone with the Hexer/Arcanist type, and never really used those skills with characters who are meant to do other things. It all goes back to the first game, when I learnt the Landsknecht could sometimes inflict that kind of thing (Head Bind, if I recall correctly), but wasn't as effective for that. Similarly, we've been trained through the first four games to have a Protector with Fire/Ice/Volt Wall. I really loved how we didn't need that for the first time in V. The Pugilist, for example, was the one who could do all the binds, but was also a front line combatant.

ReaderRagfihs wrote:

So Etrian Odyssey fans, how are you liking this game so far compared to the others?

It's great, but possibly the worst so far. Having 19 classes is really too much choice, and only having Japanese voice acting does make me feel I'm missing out a bit. The map system of having lots of different locations is not as satisfying as going up or down one giant labyrinth (as in I, II, III and V), but at the same time, I'm glad it doesn't have the overworld/sea map of III and IV. All in all, it feels like an excuse to re-use 3DS assets - not a terrible thing, but not a high point in the series either. Even so, the gameplay loop is as addictive as ever, and I'm very much enjoying it.

MetalKingShield

Eel

I just disabled the voice acting after some time.

I'm already playing this game in a foreign language. No need to add more to the mix.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

Spoony_Tech

At the end boss of the Lush Woodlands and defeated it then......😒

Edited on by Spoony_Tech

MERG said:

Manah

I think I spent more time with the character creator than playing the actual game.

This is my first time without a tank and so far it works except for my Nightseeker dying a lot because I can't stick him in the back row until he's a bit less squishy. And the Zodiac running out of TP all the time but I'm determined to keep her in the party no matter what.

Spoony_Tech

@Delibheel 3rd times the charm I guess. Didn't have many healing/tp/unbinding items but it's done.

Edited on by Spoony_Tech

MERG said:

Spoony_Tech

@Delibheel I don't have anyone yet that buffs so that made the battle that much longer. I did eventually overpower him though. My main problem the second time was getting my medic paralyzed.

Edited on by Spoony_Tech

MERG said:

Eel

It's odd, but he never really paralized any of my characters in both tries. He definitely tried to! The second time I got super lucky with the nerve circles, so he spent several turns paralized himself.

For an good buffing fighter, I absolutely recommend getting a Sovereign. They're super helpful and can actually defend themselves.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

Spoony_Tech

@Delibheel I'll have to put one in my base to level up when needed. I'm good with my party so far. I had him bind for at least 4 turns so that helped and towards the end he had one other ailment for the remainder of the battle that really helped out.

MERG said:

Eel

The Sovereign also has a skill that heals your party as you walk, so combined with my Arcanist (they have a similar skill) I don't really need to worry about healing between battles.

Combined with the farmer's ability to recover TP and give it to other characters, it's a rather safe long-lasting team.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

Spoony_Tech

@Delibheel That's the crazy thing, there's no one good way to play. I'm good with my party and by the time I have too many items to carry it's time to leave anyways so my tp is all used up by then.

MERG said:

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.