Forums

Topic: 1001 Spikes - any impressions?

Posts 1 to 6 of 6

mushroomer

I am eager to buy this game for 3ds. anybody get it yet? is it in 3d? is it like cavestory? controls good? worth buying?

mushroomer

Klimbatize

I am really enjoying it. It controls very well, and it feels just like an NES game. Or rather, it feels like how my rose-tinted memory remembers NES games. Perfect on 3DS too because the levels are fairly short (so far anyway), so I can spend a few minutes on it if I don't have a lot of time. Decent replay ability, too, since there's a skull to get per level which is sometimes hidden, and there are speed running options.

I'd recommend this to anyone who likes action platforms and who wants a challenge.

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs. It's jolted by every pebble on the road.

3DS FC: 1332 7785 4494

the_shpydar

Klimbatize wrote:

I am really enjoying it. It controls very well, and it feels just like an NES game. Or rather, it feels like how my rose-tinted memory remembers NES games. Perfect on 3DS too because the levels are fairly short (so far anyway), so I can spend a few minutes on it if I don't have a lot of time. Decent replay ability, too, since there's a skull to get per level which is sometimes hidden, and there are speed running options.

I'd recommend this to anyone who likes action platforms and who wants a challenge.

I agree with all of this. I've only played a tiny bit so far, but it definitely feels like an actual NES game (and I love the subtle and not-so-subtle references to 8-bit era games).

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong.
Urban Champion is GLORIOUS.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

Klimbatize

The cut scenes reminded me of Ninja Gaiden. Not the content, but the depth and graphics, though 1001 Spikes' cut scenes were definitely longer. I dig it.

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs. It's jolted by every pebble on the road.

3DS FC: 1332 7785 4494

Philip_J_Reed

Working on my review right now. I'll have more to say there (obviously...) but the short version is this: if you think you'll like it, you'll like it.

Philip_J_Reed

Twitter:

Philip_J_Reed

TopLaytonsHat wrote:

Philip_J_Reed wrote:

Working on my review right now. I'll have more to say there (obviously...) but the short version is this: if you think you'll like it, you'll like it.

I take it that means it's very much 'you get what you see'?

...actually, I wouldn't say that! There were a lot of surprises for me, and I'll try to preserve them (or most of them) when I review it.

I think it's more a question of whether or not you like the IDEA of the game. The twists come in the execution, but they're all positive. If you are turned off by the idea of brutally hard platform-puzzlers, this won't (and probably shouldn't) change your mind. But if you like them, I can't imagine asking for much more than what you get here.

Philip_J_Reed

Twitter:

• Page 1 of 1

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.