Fortnite has received another update today, bringing with it the usual addition of a brand new mode to try out, but this update could potentially change the tides of combat rather dramatically.
Version 5.30 has added the Rift-To-Go item, allowing players to escape danger or fly right into it. The Rift-To-Go can create a Rift for themselves and allies - just like the ones that are usually dotted around in fixed locations. Of course, just like the real thing, these rifts are still usable for a short amount of time after you've passed through them - be careful that no enemies follow you through.
This week's brand new mode is called Score Royale. Available for a limited time, this mode tasks players with collecting points to earn their Victory Royale. Whoever has the most points at the end of the match wins. You can earn points by collecting coins, opening loot containers, and eliminating other players, with the first player to cross the High Score threshold taking the win.
The early Storm circles are larger and move in at a slower pace than usual, giving players more time to spread out and search for loot. Late game Storms move in much quicker, however, so you'll need to earn enough points before they close in.
There are plenty of other changes and additions this time around, too. Here are some of the highlights:
- New Message of the Day format for Battle Royale.
- A new cinematic, (a competition winner) available to watch here.
- Improved building streaming performance on Xbox One and Switch. This will help buildings load in more quickly during skydiving, reducing the chances of landing on a low-detail model.
- Improved load times on Xbox One and Switch.
- Playground has been updated with a couple dozen new ATK's available, some more ramps to jump them off of, and a handful of new Rifts scattered throughout the map. Head to the hilltops and see if you can find them all.
Lots of changes to explore this time around, then! The update has now gone live, so make sure to load up your game and see what's new. It's also worth noting that this larger-than-usual patch has meant that this week's challenges have been delayed slightly - you should expect to see those pop up from tomorrow.
Do you like the sound of these new changes?