Animal Crossing and Metroidvania GDC Talks Now Available For Your Viewing Pleasure

Posted by Jake Shapiro

New Leaf and Castlevania devs discuss the intricacies of game development

Many of the presentations at last month's Game Developers Conference are now available to view for free on the GDC Vault website, including Animal Crossing: New Leaf producer Katsuya Eguchi and co-director Aya Kyogoku's "How to Turn a New Leaf at the Animal Crossing" and Castlevania pioneer Koji Igarashi's "There and Back Again: A Metroidvania Tale". The videos include all of the slides used in the talks, as well as a chapter selection menu so you can skip right to the topic of your choice if you don't have time to watch the entire discussion.

In the 45-minute "How to Turn a New Leaf at the Animal Crossing," the Animal Crossing creators discuss everything from the core themes of the Animal Crossing series to the development team's efforts to appeal to a diverse audience of all genders and ages. Igarashi-san's hour-long "There and Back Again" features the Symphony of the Night and Aria of Sorrow creator's advice on how to design a Metroidvania game, and hints at his potential future projects.

What new insight do these talks give you into Animal Crossing and Castlevania? Join the discussion in the comments below!

[via gdcvault.com, tinycartridge.com, gdcvault.com]

PS4

PS4 said:

10/10 Article because its about Animal Crossing. have over 1k hrs onto my game by now, maybe 2k! I'm an AC addict. :p

wober2

wober2 said:

I am so surprised to hear someone from nintendo EAD say "series fatigue". There are clearly innovative internal team members, I cannot wait for new projects.

SylveonLover

SylveonLover said:

Here's hoping for an HD Animal Crossing game on Wii U. Imagine how much they could fit on the disk!

BooJoh

BooJoh said:

@SylveonLover I don't know. As much as I've loved every AC entry (even the often-panned City Folk) and would love to see an HD entry, I feel like the series belongs on handhelds. I'd love if they did a double-release like with Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate so we could play on 3DS, Wii U, or transfer back and forth and play it on whichever we feel like at the time.

River3636

River3636 said:

I never got into Animal Crossing, I have it for Gamecube, and never really played it. So when they come out I'm like whatever, is it kinda like harvest moon?
Those Casltevania on GBA the other hand are the best. Konami should stick with that format instead of trying to reboot.

Pod

Pod said:

@Uberchu

That's three hours every day for a year!

supposedly it really is that good a game though. I gave it to my sister in law for Christmas and she's been glued to it since.

Yorumi

Yorumi said:

@River3636 It's often compared to HM but they're not really the same. AC has you moving into a village in a small home and you just basically live life. The game happens in real time, it reads your system clock and so one day in game is 24 real hours.

I like the games and have every one and they provide their money's worth to me but one major complaint i have is they quickly turn into a daily routine. The AI for your neighbors is virtually non-existent so they're hardly worth talking to. So what happens to me is a few weeks in I'm mostly just getting on for 30-45 minutes to check the new items in the shops, shake the trees for the two new items there and shutting it off.

Now that miiverse exists there's a lot more they could do to really liven up the series and take it so far to the next level it would be just beyond amazing. I'm really hoping they consider that with future titles going forward.

River3636

River3636 said:

Hmmm it is $30 and all but my back catalog is high and that game kinda looks like it will suck you in and not let you go

c1pher_c0mplet

c1pher_c0mplet said:

I wonder if Nintendo would ever release something like a content pack for ACNL... E3?? There's nothing wrong with dreaming.

PS4

PS4 said:

@Pod I was putting around 14hrs/day or more around the Launch of this game...

@Miss_Dark Yeah, I only put in around 2 hrs and 30 daily these days all in 1 go, but I am still loving this game soo much.

I guess I could check my Alog again to see how much I've put into it total again, but last time I checked it was 750 hrs, so its probably at least 25% more than that by now. When the new year rolled around I swear I played it for like 3 days straight though.

But I am rather poor in this game though, Don't grind for bells or anything just playing for fun.