Video: Let's Play DuckTales: Remastered - Episode I: The Moon

Posted by Rory Cocker

Getting to grips with the updated classic

DuckTales: Remastered — WayForward's HD reimagining of the NES classic — is, according to Nintendo Life Editorial Director Damien McFerran, a very challenging game. Rory Cocker — a 20-year-old, nappy-clad baby of a gamer — is, according to Damien, relatively inexperienced and naive.

You may have seen in my Super Metroid video how young gamers like myself have been mollycoddled by developers to the point where we almost expect games to play themselves. From waypoints and GPS systems, hints, briefs and mission logs, to Nintendo's short-lived Super Guide, it's fair to say that the modern gamer has had it much easier than those growing up in the 1980s did, for example.

With that in mind, our esteemed Editorial Director thought it'd be fun to introduce me to some old-school sensibilities in the form of DuckTales: Remastered on the Wii U eShop, a game which has been criticised by some for having a 'steep learning curve'. What Damien doesn't know, however, is that I've been gaming from a ludicrously young age, right the way back to the Commodore Amiga 500. I felt suitably prepared.

Check out Episode I below, and be sure to subscribe to Nintendo Life on YouTube to keep up to speed with the rest of the series. And wish me luck along the way, obviously!

[via youtube.com]

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

Really? I thought it was criticised for being the same as a 24 year old game except with more cut scenes than gameplay. ;)

Subie98

Subie98 said:

For being video game fans, im surprised how good the editors arent at games. oh well at least they're having fun, since that's what counts. Good effort rory.

odd69

odd69 said:

The last part of the game is pull your hair out hard. I didnt like it at all. Otherwise the game is still kick a**

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

Growing up, my parents didn't have cable or a satellite dish and so the only cartoons I could watch during weekdays were the ones that came on Fox. DuckTales, along with Rescue Rangers and Tailspin, were some of the best!!!

Also, this game is great! Hard mode is Hard :O

MortalKombat2007

MortalKombat2007 said:

@bezerker99

I have to disagree...hard mode was easy because that difficulty was way too generous with extra lives. When I reached the final level, I had about six lives to spare. Hard mode does however remove some but not all health upgrades in favor for hidden treasure and health pick-ups seem to more scarce.

MetalMario

MetalMario said:

I agree with Hard mode having too many Extra Lives, they are so many in the Moon.

Extreme difficulty gets rid of a lot of health pickups and only has 9 extra lives available. When you get a game over, you have to start the entire game over again.

Yasume

Yasume said:

I adore this game. Still need to finish up extreme difficulty, but I encountered two errors (steam version) during my playthroughs and they deleted my progress. Not motivated to try it again at the moment.

TheAdrock

TheAdrock said:

I did find the final boss to be a challenge. That damn giant Dracula head... so hard to get positioned right in the center of his beak in time.

TheAdrock

TheAdrock said:

@Drake , kudos to that guy, he's good. (Or else its a highly edited video which I don't suspect it is). EDIT: I just realized that's probably your video, so yeah, nice work bro.

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

@CasuallyDressed - I'd have no problem with a 2D Metroid game made by WayForward! I think that would actually be pretty awesome. (Heck, any dev basically besides Team Ninja would do just fine.)

rayword45

rayword45 said:

@bezerker99 Help out a young person here. Disney cartoons on FOX... Was this something that actually happened or was it a different channel?

sdcazares1980

sdcazares1980 said:

@rayword45 I think what @bezerker99 meant to say is that it was on syndication from a station owned by Fox. It was never part of the Fox Network. For example, in Los Angeles, where I grew up and saw the show, it was on syndicated Channel 9.

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

@rayword45, @sdcazares1980, @bezerker99: just to clear this all up, it was the Disney Afternoon, and it aired on the FOX affiliate where I grew up too. You had a good two hours or so of Disney cartoons right after the school bus dropped us off at home — Bonkers, Marsupilami, Timon & Pumbaa, Ducktales, Gargoyles, Darkwing Duck, TaleSpin, Rescue Rangers, etc. and so forth — all those shows were cycled in and out of the Disney Afternoon lineup.

And then after the Disney Afternoon was usually stuff like Spider-Man, X-Men, and Batman:TAS... awwwwww yeeeeeah. :3

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

@theblackdragon: Lucky you. When I grew up Disney Afternoon aired on a channel opposite FOX which meant I had to choose if I wanted to watch the Disney Cartoon at the time or Batman: TAS. :( Too bad there wasn't DVR then.

Urbanhispanic

Urbanhispanic said:

@theblackdragon

Back when I was growing up, the Disney afternoon was on WPIX (Channel 11) and played Disney cartoons from 2:30 PM to 5:00 OM. Then on every Saturday, ABC(Channel 7) had Disney mornings from 9AM to 11AM and played new episodes of everything I mentioned above and rotated shows with the new cartoons Disney released. Ahhh....the good ol' days. :)

It looked like Rory had a blast playing it even though he is a bit rusty. :P

Ernest_The_Crab

Ernest_The_Crab said:

@Drake Ah okay I see it now. That's interesting. So were you just jumping around for no reason or were you just waiting for them to disappear? I can't figure that out from the video. I suspect you were jumping so you could see the rocks better but i could be wrong.

DrakeStaff

Drake said:

@Ernest_The_Crab You're actually supposed to move on and come back later with a boulder chasing you to have it destroy the rocks, but the way the game has been programmed is that anything that is not on-screen doesn't really "exist". They also specifically programmed stuff to not appear out of thin air, so what you can do there is move just far enough away for a block to disappear, and then immediately move back to prevent it from reappearing.

The only problem is you have to do it for every individual rock (Except one which doesn't need to be removed) so it can take a while to get the whole opening open.