LOVEFiLM Arrives on Wii, Wii U App Will Go Live "Soon"

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Or you could use Wii mode on your Wii U

Wii may be fading into the shadows in the face of its HD successor, but today brings a new release to the little white box in the UK. It's the LOVEFiLM app, which will allow subscribers to stream TV shows and movies directly to their TV, assuming they have a suitable online connection.

If you're a subscriber, all you need to do is download the free app from the Wii Shop and you're good to go, with the company boasting of over eight million users. This is an Amazon business, and a number of you may have noticed the LOVEFiLM window on your Wii U home menu, effectively making this the UK's equivalent to the Amazon Instant Video app in the U.S. In the press release announcing the app Shelly Pearce, Marketing & PR Director for Nintendo UK, has stated that the Wii U version will be live in the near future.

We are thrilled to be partnering with LOVEFiLM to offer Wii owners and soon Wii U owners on-demand film and TV content to enjoy. LOVEFiLM has a proven track record of success and innovation in film distribution and is a very welcome addition.

If you happen to be a subscriber and want to use LOVEFiLM on your Wii U right now, you can always try using the Wii mode on your system to use the older system's app. We're assuming that'll work, but let us know how you get on with this on either console in the comments below.

-KwB-

-KwB- said:

Will this app only be used in Great Britain, or other countries in Europe too ?

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

The press release specifically mentions the UK, but if we hear otherwise we'll update the article :)

Bluezealand

Bluezealand said:

It's already confirmed for Germany and I assume, it will be available in Scandinavian countries as well.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Which raises the question - anybody get there Wi U to go international yet?

My US based PS3 has 4 accounts - US, UK, Japan and China - which I use to DL game demos and watch trailers. I don't think I've ever gotten LOVEFILM to work but then again I've never actually tried to set up an account.

AVahne

AVahne said:

Err...Wii mode doesn't allow for any apps whatsoever...so European Wii U owners still gotta wait for that App to go live.

Victoria

Victoria said:

I'd probably give that a go. I already order films from them, and they often sit around for a week or so before I actually get around to watching them. So this might be a good option.

RexNatFlenders

RexNatFlenders said:

@Bluezealand

the Lovefilm App is not coming to Germany. i send the german lovefilm support a email and they told me that the App is not coming to Gernany only to UK.

Bluezealand

Bluezealand said:

@RexNatFlenders: It is part of the German Wii U menu, can be re-downloaded from the German eShop and tells you in German, that it requires an update to work and that you can test it for free, as soon as its available.

I don't believe for one second, that it won't be available in Germany.

RexNatFlenders

RexNatFlenders said:

@Bluezealand

sorry i meant that the on demand service is not coming at the moment.

thist is from the german lovefilm support:

Derzeit ist unser Video on Demand Angebot nur über wenige Endgeräte
verfügbar, leider jedoch noch nicht auf der Wii U. Der Service ist
momentan nur für Großbritannien verfügbar.