72 Hour Super Mario Marathon Promises Fun and Fundraising

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Keep running right

Occasionally we bring you news of charitable marathons that not only bring amusement and entertainment for interested spectators, but also raise a lot of money for charity. With the recent glut of 2D Mario titles — well, two — we feel we should share the news of an upcoming 72 hour Super Mario marathon being organised by The Speed Gamers.

The marathon will be raising money for the Make A Wish Foundation, and will see the team playing a daunting range of Mario titles that'll also incorporate the Paper Mario series and pretty much any main title involving the famous plumber. New Super Mario Bros. U will be included, and those that watch and donate will have the chance to suggest decorations for a tree, win hand-made question mark boxes and — the prize likely to interest the most people — there'll be a Wii U Deluxe console up for grabs.

It takes place between 14-17 December, and details for donations and the live stream will be found at thespeedgamers.com. If you want to know if this group is the real deal, its 168-hour Pokémon marathon earlier in the year raised $59,000, which is an impressive amount.

[via digitalspy.co.uk]

Bulbousaur

Bulbousaur said:

I remember watching this last year, so much fun! The guys even talked to me for a bit in the chat about the coursework I was doing/not doing while watching.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Awesome! I greatly enjoyed this years Mario Marathon (done by a different group of people), but this marathon goes further than just the platformers & plays some of the other awesome Mario games. Can't wait! :D

gefflt

gefflt said:

Awesome background music!
A jazzy version of Mario Kart 64's Frappe Snowland / Sherbert Land! :)

zoroarkrules25

zoroarkrules25 said:

I will definitely be following this but when they play super mario 3d land they should be on the lookout for the ufo and creepy face in the ghost houses.

ThreadShadow

ThreadShadow said:

I love that artwork! I'd love to see a new "arcade"-style Mario game featuring artwork like that.

All the best to their charity efforts!