Online Play Shown Off in Sonic Generations Shots

Posted by James Newton

Take on the best

SEGA's just released a stack of new Sonic Generations screenshots ahead of its mascot's first 3DS first appearance this week, showing off the odd stage, boss and WiFi multiplayer too.

While we won't spoil the stages or bosses — not that they're new, what with Generations being a compilation of Sonic's best bits and all — we can say the game's online multiplayer pits two Sonics against each other in a race to the goal. Your rival Sonic is portrayed on the top screen by a medal marker rather than a fully animated model, with a progress bar on the touch screen showing overall standings.

Sonic Generations is out tomorrow in North America and Friday in Europe.

Terave

Terave said:

I actually never knew this had an online multiplayer mode... Well, I'll get this perhaps, but not on launch at least. :P

SLiM

SLiM said:

I have a friend who is a big Sonic fan, and I bet he doesn't know about the multiplayer in this. I'm gonna have to tell him about it

GARF13LD

GARF13LD said:

I played the demo of the 360 version and quite liked it, so I think I will defo pick this up in the new year with a price drop, and have finished Mario 3D, Pokemon and Tales of the Abyss.

Yogsoggoth

Yogsoggoth said:

I've had this game since Friday (got it a bit early thanks to a friend) and i can say that it is online play. I haven't been able to try it out because, of course, no one is playing online yet.

That said, I am not sure that this is worth $40. The game is really, really short and the majority of extra content (missions) is only unlockable through street pass and play coins. It costs 5 play coins per missions so, at the most, you can unlock two a day.

There is no full motion video (strange considering that Dimps was able to include video for Sonic Colors DS) and the whole package just seems lazy and rushed. What's here is good, just not the spectacle you would expect for celebrating Sonic's 20th Anniversary.

That said, the graphics are quite good and the physics are excellent. There is a bit of strangeness with Classic Sonic who feels like he is running in mud for the first few seconds.

GameLord08

GameLord08 said:

Didn't know this had online play. The graphics look awesome too. Might reconsider for this in a while. :O

shoopdawoop70

shoopdawoop70 said:

I expected local. I've already bought Rumble Blast and Skyward Sword and I preordered Mariokart, so it can wait till xmas.

MDee14

MDee14 said:

This game has streetpass and great online modes. I actually got this game early by mistake. I don't think the eb games employee knew the date release and i thought it was on the 20th. But this game is identical to the consoles, with the changes of stages.