Abandoned Skyward Sword Ideas May Head to Wii U

Posted by James Newton

Not done yet

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword might be one of Nintendo's biggest-ever undertakings — just read the Iwata Asks about its mammoth audio visual design teams — but that doesn't mean it includes everything Nintendo wanted to put in.

Series producer Eiji Aonuma spoke to The Guardian about what may happen to ideas that couldn't — or wouldn't — fit into Skyward Sword, with one possibility being the inevitable Zelda Wii U title:

We had many ideas for new abilities in Skyward Sword. Some of them didn't work and so we abandoned them. Some of them, though, we're keeping. Even though we couldn't make them work in this game, we felt they're still good ideas. Maybe we can make them work on the Wii U. It's possible you might see them in another game we make in this series.

Aonuma also wanted to point out once again that the Wii U Zelda demo from E3 2010 isn't necessarily what the finished game will look like, but is "a starting point":

We're definitely excited about the Wii-U and its capabilities as a platform (laughs). Of course I can't really tell you any details about that at this point. However, I should say the demo you saw at E3 is more of a starting point at this time, especially from a graphical standpoint. You should expect many changes, because as I mentioned earlier, our starting point is the gameplay and how we can make it work. It's possible the game will look very different by the time it comes out.

With a new 3DS Zelda and Wii U Zelda both in development, hopefully fans of the Hero of Time won't have too long to wait to see where Link goes next.

[via guardian.co.uk]

Bigdog

Bigdog said:

Yes, waaaaaay too long. Gotta wait 10 more days for Skyward Sword!

Yes, that probably sounded like sarcasm, but it's not. Ten days is a long time when Zelda is at the other end of them.

DarkLloyd

DarkLloyd said:

but it looked good though, hopefully not really putting my hope up that they stick with that graphic art style and improve on it, we already got

2D top down nes
2D side scroller nes
2D 3D ish top down supernes
3D OOTwith dark ish real art style n64
3D majora mask appears to be darker in theme
3D toon link GCN
3D dark realism GCN and Wii
3D top down toon link both games DS

3D skyward sword that takes on the appearance on twilight princess ish with cell shaded art style

since theres a juggle here this one should go for more fantasy realism bit looking more real or HD real for the lack of better term

Ryno

Ryno said:

We sure cannot wait to wish our lives away when it comes to video games!

SPEtheridge

SPEtheridge said:

I hope they don't go with a look too similar to Twilight Princess, I think it should be dark with a more mature theme, but would like to see more of a change up in the Zelda look this time, maybe change Link's look up a bit.

misswliu81

misswliu81 said:

i'm with BlackFira - they should use the graphical style of that zelda tech demo from that E3 conference. it looked gorgeous. in fact, they should turn that into a full zelda game!

Robo-goose

Robo-goose said:

What about the Hero of Winds fans? Are they really planning on leaving us hanging?
That would be okay if it meant the Hero of Bacon would have a game on the Wii U.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Any chance of a WiiU "directors cut"? I can't honestly think of a "director's cut" of any Nintendo games though there are several on the PS3, mostly GOTY w/ DL added or Move support, LBP2 and Heavy Rain spring to mind. I know RE4 got released on several systems w/ additions like WS being added, and obviously OoT, but that was 12 years later and I don't want to wait THAT long. I was seriously considering holding out on this and waiting for an HD release (Wii games look lousy on my 52" 1080p tv) but with the WiiU scheduled for an E3 "reveal" I might just have to bite on Sunday. Note to Nintendo - I will NOT double dip.

Nintendoro

Nintendoro said:

would like to see what Wii U Zelda will look like. If that demo was only a start, we can expect the actual game to be even more impressive. I just hope it'll be more mature game than it was before. I mean it would be good to hear some voice acts, not just sounds. When ever it comes out, it'll be awesome game!