Ju-on: The Grudge Officially Coming Stateside

Posted by Jon Wahlgren

Dead children to spook Wii in October

Ju-on, the Japanese horror flick localized by Sam Raimi and Buffy the Vampire Slayer as The Grudge, has a game in development by Feelplus. It looks kinda scary. Publisher XSeed Games has announced that very piece of software is officially on it's way to the US, which is the last major market for a worldwide release. Huzzah!

Here's the gist of the haunted-house-simulator Ju-On: The Grudge via the press release:

It is said that when a person dies with a deep and burning grudge, a curse is born. When an average housewife in Nerima, Japan, was murdered in a grisly fashion, it gave rise to a curse so powerful that it threatens to kill at a pace thought unimaginable before.

The curse manifests on those who encounter the curse by any means, such as entering the house or being in contact with somebody who was already cursed. Once Erika Yamada is exposed to the curse while searching for her dog in an abandoned warehouse, the entire Yamada family is put in grave danger as soon as she reunites with them at home. They must now face their individual challenges alone, and only by overcoming the curse together will their family truly be free again.

The game is set for an October release. Convenient.

[via wii.ign.com]

Objection

Objection said:

I hope it is worth the wait. So far it just seems like an interactive click things and be "scared."

UVERoo

UVERoo said:

It wont replace my void of Fatal Frame IV but it will help me somewhat. Hope it turns out good and thank you XSEED.

Kidpit

Kidpit said:

Meh...I'll just wait for Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, a more psychological horror game (from what I can tell). From what I heard this is just filled with jump scares, and I HATE jump scares.

Vendetta

Vendetta said:

Well, I laughed my way through the movie (US version, I heard the original was scary as hell), so I'll wait for reviews before getting my hopes up too high.

edofthe209

edofthe209 said:

It's possible this could rock. OR, like the American version of the movie, it could blow huge hippo sized chunks. I dig horror games, so I'd like to check it out. I've been startled by jump scares on rare occasions in games, and I'm usually impressed if a game can pull it off. In fact, I haven't seen that done well since waaaay back in the day of Res Evil 1.

J_K

J_K said:

The fact they're keeping the Ju-On name and location where it is gives more hope to it retaining the Japanese scare value. It's not like they're going to recreate the entire game with the buffy cast in there or something, it's a localization project. Whatever off the wall scary crap that goes in with the Japanese game should be retained as I don't recall XSEED being butcherers of good gaming. At worst you could get a bad translation but the shocks should be retained.

lockelocke

lockelocke said:

I'm hella stoked, Ju-On is one of my all time favorite horror flicks, plus the survival horror genre is a little bit of a cold fish these days

Crazed

Crazed said:

Well, I have huge respect for XSEED, so hopefully they will execute well with this game. I probably won't get it, but hopefully it'll be because I'm not into horror games (with the exception of Ghost Wire, which isn't pure horror), and not because it's horrible.