Reggie Acts Cool Again

Posted by Sammy Barker

Now lets get this straight from the start: everything Reggie Fils-Aime says is cool. Got that? Right, then I'll carry on telling you what he says about the Wii hardware sales.

The Nintendo of America president has said today that Nintendo are on track to ship 4 million Nintendo Wii units by the end of the year - and could even exceed that figure.

Speaking at the Reuters Media Summit he said:

"All systems are go for reaching the 4 million target we have in our financials by December 31. We will sell everything we make so now it's simply a manufacturing thing."

Fils-Aime reckons that Nintendo could beat its sales targets for the Wii but admitted it would be "challenging based on manufacturing capacity".

Fils-Aime also went on to talk about an older Nintendo product - the Game Boy Advance.

"We think that Game Boy Advance certainly has at least one more holiday season left in it," he said.

"For us, it continues to be a great stepping stone for five, six, seven year-old consumers to have their first great handheld gaming experience and then transition right into DS."

Reggie Fils-Aime promised that there is strong third party support to come for the GBA over the next 9 months.

[via gamesindustry.biz]

DamoAdmin

Damo said:

Another holiday season for the GBA? Hmmm. I'm not so sure. Most stores are really cutting back on their GBA stock now, and what is coming out is terrible licenced crap. I think the machine is pretty much dead now - but that's not to say it hasn't had a good innings!

antdickensAdmin

antdickens said:

Do you think he was talking about this upcoming holiday season? ie, next month. I doubt he was talking 13 months from now, after all he only mentions 9 months more of 3rd party support.

Not that I care either way.

Nanaki

Nanaki said:

GBA is nearly dead now, the DS is taking it over extremely... well at least here in the UK

Also, Nintendo need to make some Reggie action figures!

DamoAdmin

Damo said:

LOL @ Ant

I think most people feel the same way, the GBA Micro was a nice move by Nintendo last year but I feel that it failed to spur the machine onto bigger and better things, aside from the Final Fantasy remakes I can't think of any other worth titles released over the past 12 months. The DS really has taken over.

So much for Nintendo's 'three column' plan.

get2sammybAdmin

get2sammyb said:

Surely holiday season means more kinda July/August time? Which would be 8 months away.

Meh... Reggie is cool. Everything he says is right.

Nanaki

Nanaki said:

Duddyroar wrote:
the GBA Micro was a nice move by Nintendo last year

I thought the GBA micro was pointless, too damn small to play anything on.Plus no GB/GBC support really made it inferior.

DamoAdmin

Damo said:

I suppose it is a little bit small, but it's just so damn cool.