One for the ages
It’s fascinating to see how much the JRPG genre has changed over the years, as countless new studios and designers have come up with a seemingly bottomless amount of ways to riff on battle systems, narrative styles, and world designs. In many ways, one could say that a JRPG is judged by how well it subverts genre expectations, but...
About The Game
You are the Luminary, the hunted hero who will protect the land from destruction in the latest RPG from the iconic DRAGON QUEST series.
With a ragtag band of adventurers, you’ll engage in well-balanced, turn-based battles and embark on quests across the kingdom of Erdrea. Forge gear, develop party members’ skills, and alter their outfits without changing gear in this edition of the game! This version also lets you ride and attack with monsters on the field to earn experience points, as well as change between HD or 16-bit visuals, symphonic or synth music, and English or Japanese audio. Complete the tale with new character-focused stories, and travel to past DRAGON QUEST worlds!
Across the land, you’ll meet the mysterious Tockles—creatures that allow you to visit 2D, 16-bit versions of areas from popular entries in the series like DRAGON QUEST IV and DRAGON QUEST VIII! It’s fun to see these classic worlds reimagined in retro style, meshing perfectly with the main game’s 2D mode. Like all past DRAGON QUEST games, this one’s character designs are based on the signature style of famed artist Akira Toriyama. Paired with the voiced dialogue, the rich personalities of your most loyal companions and fiercest enemies are brought to life, so you can fully immerse yourself in this quest to discover the Luminary’s true heritage and awaken your power. For a greater challenge, start the game with the Draconian Quest setting, and capture your favorite moments with Photo Mode!
- A sprawling RPG with the most impressive scope in the DRAGON QUEST series
- Complete the tale with new character-based stories that offer additional background
- Travel to past DRAGON QUEST® worlds, wear outfits without changing gear, and ride and attack with monsters!
- Change between HD or 16-bit graphics, synthesized or symphonic music, and English or Japanese voices
- Wage turn-based battles against monsters and bosses by commanding a party of adventurers
- Strategically combine your party members’ moves into special attacks with the Pep System
- Complete side-quests and mini-games while exploring the expansive terrains and cities of Erdrea
- The Draconian Quest difficulty setting offers an even greater challenge
- Snap shots of your favorite moments with Photo Mode