Forums

Topic: Wiiware is lowering our expectations

Posts 141 to 145 of 145

retrobuttons

@stuffgamer1

You are ignoring my point that when a game is reviewed and scored based on lack of skill or prefference for certain genres, the balance you talked about is gone. This discussion is not about Sean or his review skills, all I am saying is that his comments started the discussion.

Edited on by retrobuttons

retrobuttons

Ren

seems like the "discussion" is kind of an endless loop where everyone just wants the last word. Sounds like we all agree that there isn't really such a thing as complete, literal objectivity, but to a degree we expect a games review to be about the relative merits and features of a game, whether or not it's your kind of thing or how bad you are at it. everything in moderation.

clearly no one is saying a review should ramble on about what other games they love and how they did on this or that level. Does anyone ever really do that? But there is some element of a reviewers opinion that needs to be taken into consideration, especially when looking at a number score. A score alone is not enough info when you're talking about putting your money into buying a game.

Ren

SwerdMurd

retrobuttons wrote:

@stuffgamer1

You are ignoring my point that when a game is reviewed and scored based on lack of skill or prefference for certain genres, the balance you talked about is gone.

Seems to me this would be a counterbalance to the people reviewing/scoring games they're incredibly skilled at and prefer. Balance upheld.

Also, this discussion isn't going anywhere. Reviewers give what reviewers give, they have certain gaming propensities, they choose to explain or not explain them in their text (where they also defend/describe why the game was scored the way it was) and then we choose to accept or reject the review given how we view games. Sean would be well within his rights to give SMB 3 a 6. Hell, give it a 2. Explain why, I'll read it, and I'll disagree. It's up to the gamer to make all the following determinations (does he game the way I do? Does he like the same types of things? Would this bother me the way it does him?)...and I think all of this was covered several pages of posts ago.

@Ren - well-said.

Edited on by SwerdMurd

-Swerd Murd

(check my tunes out at www.soundcloud.com/swerdmurd)

Starscream

Wait a second this hole sub argument is a catch-22. :

Is it fair to review a game if you cannot even complete 25% of it???

Never seen Water World Giant World Pipe World Ice World Wind World Bowser World?

More than meets the eye!

Vendetta

See?

I think 140+ posts of "opinion" is quite enough. So say we all? Good.

Vendetta

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.