Forums

Topic: Which Zelda game to start with

Posts 101 to 112 of 112

Timwario

I wouldn't listen to people on this site saying OoT is overrated. IT'S NOT. I would start with that, it's a well crafted experience that deserves all of the praise it gets.

Timwario

NotEnoughGolds

If I were to recommend one, and only one, Zelda game, it would probably be Twilight Princess.
As a culmination of the 3D Zeldas, it works. But having played, and loved, all the previous console Zeldas, I don't want a bigger version of Ocarina of Time.
And a Link to the Past is so, so much different than the original Zelda. To say it's just a retelling of the first game is selling it very short.

The heart piece thing was just an example of how the game artificially increases game length. The developers put together a game with a big world map, dungeons, etc.
Then they look at this huge map and sprinkle 32 (?) golden bugs, 60 poes, and 45 heart pieces all over the place as "fun" side quests that offer very little reward. Little reward = little incentive to doing these sidequests.
You also mentioned that "they're sidequests, no one is forcing you to do them." Of course no one's forcing me. But I should want to do them. If my only motivation is "to 100% the newest Zelda game," then that's just not enough.

And you already conceded to the main argument that people have against this game. It doesn't have a "thing."

But by no means is this a bad game. I would say it's a must-have for GC owners and Wii owners. It's one of the best games out there.
I just don't think it's one of the best Zelda games out there.

NotEnoughGolds

Trin

Twilight Princess doesn't have a 'thing', but then A Link To The Past doesn't have a 'thing' either, regardless of what you might think, It is just a bigger, better version of Zelda 1. Or as you might put it - MOAR Zelda 1.

Just as Twilight Princess is a bigger, and arguably better version of Ocarina.

Having a thing isn't as important as you seem to think. Take Mario, Mario Bros 3 never had a thing, it's just Mario 1 will more stuff, more suits, more levels; Mario World certainly never did. Both stone cold classics.

Some games go the way of a new game mechanic, or a thing if you will, such as WindWaker, some go the bigger and better route, such as Twilight Princess.

What's does Metroid Prime 3 do that the first 2 didn't? Nothing really. It's just bigger and better.

This is why your arguments are still, really, just whining about things that are long established. Bigger and better is one of the 2 major divisions that console sequels go down. Some how this seems to have gone unnoticed by you, and you are now suddenly enraged that this game has done it.

To use one of your favorite sayings again (), lots of games do this, now tell me, why is it suddenly a problem because Twilight Princess does it? Joining the likes of Super Mario World, A Link To The Past, Metroid Prime 3, Street Fighter II Turbo, etc, etc, doesn't seem to be that bad a thing to me.

We are agreed on it not being the best Zelda though. WindWaker is better, A Link To The Past is better.

Edited on by Trin

Trin

NotEnoughGolds

Trin wrote:

We are agreed on it not being the best Zelda though. WindWaker is better, A Link To The Past is better.

Well hell, why are we even arguing then?
I guess I didn't need to go on such a tangent with my first post about this. My only argument was with "Twilight Princess is the quintessential Zelda experience." That statement from Kid A made it sound like this is the be-all-end-all Zelda game, which I disagree with completely.

It's not like I hate Twilight Princess, by any means, I just think that calling it the best Zelda EVOR is kinda stretching it.

@Metroid Prime - well it's a subseries of a larger series. All the games tell one continuous plot. It's really one game split into three parts. But yes, all 3 games are very similar. Although, what really made MP3 shine for me was the new play control. Now that I have MPT the first 2 games are incredible (I had never finished the first one because I thought the controls were unbearable).

NotEnoughGolds

Trin

Well if you thought I was arguing from the stand point of Twilight Princess being the bestestestest ever Zelda, I don't know, crossed wires. In short I don't think you can really have a go at Twilight Priness for not being different enough, because it's just sticking to the traditions of Zelda. I don't think it's the best Zelda ever, and if Kid A thinks this, we disagree.

WindWaker, when I finished it, left me in no doubts - the game is a masterpiece. Twilight Princess when I finished it - great game, but falls short of masterpiece standard. It's nothing to do with how many heart pieces there are in either game, though.

Edited on by Trin

Trin

CanisWolfred

NotEnoughGolds wrote:

If I were to recommend one, and only one, Zelda game, it would probably be Twilight Princess.
As a culmination of the 3D Zeldas, it works.

Well, at least we can agree on something. That sure as hell made my day.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Luigi-la-bouncy

You should get Twilight Princess, unless you prefer retro gaming, then it's totally up to you. There is no good reason why Zelda games should be played in any particular order, so you might as well buy the latest and best itineration of the series.

Luigi-la-bouncy

Bassman_Q

Get Ocarina first. Its my second favorite Zelda game, right behind Wind Waker. The graphics may be a little rugged (as with every other N64 game), but u should play this one to appreciate it the most. Ocarina also has a surprisingly deep story and characters, though Majora beats it to the punch with character personality. Once u finish Ocarina, then buy the much harder Majora if u like. I wouldn't exactly recommend Link to the Past as ur first Zelda game, since its difficulty is pretty darn high, and Link can take such few hits before he dies.

Bassman_Q

Nintendo Network ID: QwikStix42

V8_Ninja

Where are we in the argument, again?

Anyways, as for the three that you stated, I would go with A Link To The Past. Then go to OoT after you've finished ALTTP. However, for any Zelda game, I would go with Twilight Princess mainly because #1. There is no real special thing about the game, making a normal (but epic) Hyrule Adventure, and #2. It's current, which means that it won't be hard to find it (in it's original format) and it'll be cheap. Then I would either start moving backwards (Wind Waker/Phantom Hourglass, Minish Cap, etc.) or skip straight to ALTTP and then OoT.

Thanks given to Xkhaoz for that one avatar.
Please contact me before using my custom avatar!
A (Former) Reviewer for Digitally Downloaded.net
My Backloggery: http://backloggery.com/v8_ninja

If you want a lasting impression, then start with Twilight Princess.

Dicesukeinuzuka

Twighlight princess or Phantom hourglass, both are great and are apparently easier than the average Zelda title.

call me Dicesuke Inuzuka, Daisuke, Dice, or Dai.
deviant art page:
http://dicesukeinuzuka.deviantart.com/

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.