Forums

Topic: IGN: 2010: The Year of the Wii

Posts 1 to 20 of 50

ItsFuzzyPickles

I'm going to stand out of the crowd.

The Wii being the 2010 Console of the Year, while likely, is not guaranteen. Even if all those promising games were Triple A and Double A and that Zelda Wii 2 did arrive for the holiday, I'm not exactly convinced this will be the Wii's best year.

The main reason is because of the Virtual Console. There is an slightly possibly of the Virtual Console being cancelled that year. If Nintendo actually did this, they would lose a LOT of fans, possibly nearly the entire core fanbase that it has left, myself included. That alone would ruin all hopes of Wii claiming 2010.

ItsFuzzyPickles

Switch Friend Code: SW-1409-9782-5984 | Nintendo Network ID: astarisborn94 | Twitter:

irken004

Super+Smash+Bros wrote:

The main reason is because of the Virtual Console. There is an slightly possibly of the Virtual Console being cancelled that year.

Aaaaannnnd.... you lost me

There is no way the VC is going to be canceled anytime soon.

TwilightV

No mention of A Boy And His Blob = FAIL.

TwilightV

LzWinky

@SSBF: The VC's not getting cancelled

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

bro2dragons

@SSBF: no "hardcore fan" of anything is going to leave because of one move, man. i'm sorry, but what you're describing is pretty much the definition of "casual". just saying.

“I am a brother to dragons and a companion to owls." Job:30:29

Nintendo Network ID: bro2dragons

@SSBfan: huh? how on earth is that even going to happen?!

and even so, if that happens, how is it that the wii is going to fail or something like that?!

I am sorry but as much as I love the VC, the service just serves to a niche crowd. They won't eliminate it because is a notable one but it doesn't drives the Wii sales.

Your FUD attempt has failed.

About the article..all it says is the same ridiculuos "Nintendo sucks because itz fer da kazuals duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude" false complaints and BS. The wii has great games, some better than others like in every console. Too bad that they just focus in the shovelware and keep praying the same idiotic rants but fortunately gaming doesn't revolve about them.

Besides I learned to IGNore them when they talk about the Wii. They are every day more pathetic.

LzWinky

Sure the Wii has a bunch of shovelware on it. BIG SURPRISE!! Give yourselves a medal IGN. Quantity isn't everything

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

HolyMackerel

@WaltzElf: Have you tried Shiren the Wanderer? It's the same genre (mystery dungeon) as Chocobo's Dungeon. It just doesn't have the cutesy appeal, instead it's set in historical Japan and has Japanese humour by the truckload.

Also I don't see how VC might be cancelled this year. Since when was that hinted? I don't have any VC games and I don't find the idea appealing, but it certainly seems to be quite successful.

HolyMackerel

Bankai

HolyMackerel wrote:

@WaltzElf: Have you tried Shiren the Wanderer? It's the same genre (mystery dungeon) as Chocobo's Dungeon. It just doesn't have the cutesy appeal, instead it's set in historical Japan and has Japanese humour by the truckload.

Also I don't see how VC might be cancelled this year. Since when was that hinted? I don't have any VC games and I don't find the idea appealing, but it certainly seems to be quite successful.

Yeah, I like Shiren - at least, the DS game, the Wii version isn't available in Australia yet, to the best of my knowledge.

I do prefer Chocobo, though. Chocobo is a charming game with a lot of personality and a very likable (yes, cute, but likable) main character, some light Final Fantasy elements (Jobs) and a really cool mini game (Pop up cards). It's also got an awesome soundtrack that is a combination of the best Final Fantasy musical scores.

HolyMackerel

Yeah, Chocobo's Dungeon is a gem for sure. I got it yesterday and I love it!

I'm pretty excited for the Wii's lineup this year. Probably more so than any other system I have, except perhaps the DS. I can see this being a good year for Nintendo.

HolyMackerel

RowdyRodimus

buffalobob wrote:

About the article..all it says is the same ridiculuos "Nintendo sucks because itz fer da kazuals duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude" false complaints and BS. The wii has great games, some better than others like in every console. Too bad that they just focus in the shovelware and keep praying the same idiotic rants but fortunately gaming doesn't revolve about them.

Besides I learned to IGNore them when they talk about the Wii. They are every day more pathetic.

Using IGN's logic about games scored 4 or less, their beloved PS1 and PS2 are both humiliated by the competition using Metacritic, here's the numbers I got:
Games rated a 4 or lower-
PS1-35
N64-5

PS2-329
Xbox-113
NGC-66

So judging by the ratings of the games, the Sony brand has been the worst system to own of the remaining console manufacturers. If you ever defended Sonys Playstation line or even owned one, you were stupid because all the had was shovelware according to IGN's numbers game. So all these years Sony has been lazy but you didn't care. I mean the numbers speak for themselves. All of the systems they sold must have been bought by sheep who didn't know any better or casual gamers looking to play KISS Pinball while the rest of us gamers in the know were enjoying 1080 Snowboarding.

(The preceeding was a parody using actual numbers obtained on Metacritic. Of course the PS1 and PS2 were awesome systems, but they had an inordinate amount of shovelware as the Wii does today. Seemingly though, these facts are forgotten and this was an attempt to show that while shovelware does always appear in mass on certain systems it doesn't ruin the system in the long run. In other words, the cream always rises to the top, or more importantly, IGN knows dick about what they claim to be experts on these days.)

I am the one you despise. I am he who says what you really deep down know but are affraid to admit. I am the Anti-Fanboy, the crusader of truth in a world built on your lies.

Matt_B

Another problem with meta-analysis of review scores is that the top rated games invariably tend to be expensive blockbusters in an established genre. It's easy for reviewers to rubber stamp them, whereas they've got to go out on a limb somewhat to praise something that's new or a little bit quirky. Also, whenever something that's genuinely innovative comes along, reviewers tend to be divided upon it. That's no more obvious than with Wii Sports and Wii Fit, which haven't had great reviews across the board, but have still proved very popular.

Anyway, I'm sure that 2010 will be the best year yet for Wii games, but again, I wouldn't expect the review scores to show it.

Matt_B

Guybrush_Threepwood

The year of the Wii? No! A better year for Wii gamers than last year? Definitely!

The Wii's line up has some really interesting games in 2010 (Metroid: Other M!!!). I wouldn't count on Zelda being released this year though (a 2011 release is realistic). The last year was disappointing since Nintendo gave us only a half hearted remake (New Super Mario Bros) and couldn't manage a decent support for Virtual Console. So 2010 should definitely be a better year for Wii.

But looking at all the games being already released or announced for Xbox360/PS3 I would never even think about calling 2010 the year of the Wii. The line up of Nintendo's competitors is just too impressing this year.

Edited on by Guybrush_Threepwood

Guybrush_Threepwood

Magi

RowdyRodimus wrote:

Using IGN's logic about games scored 4 or less, their beloved PS1 and PS2 are both humiliated by the competition using Metacritic, here's the numbers I got:
Games rated a 4 or lower-
PS1-35
PS2-329
So judging by the ratings of the games, the Sony brand has been the worst system to own of the remaining console manufacturers.

I'm not taking sides here, but in the interest of fair numbers: How many games TOTAL have been released for these two consoles? The PS2 came out in 2000 and they're STILL making a fair amount of games for it. How does the "crap" games:"good" games ratio (or percentage) work out?

edit: A quick look at metacritic (and I stress quick) results in:
PS2: 395 games rated less than or equal to 4.0 and 1623 games rated greater than 4.0. (PS2 has been out since 2000)
Wii: 373 games rated less than or equal to 4.0 and 591 games rated greater than 4.0.without even crunching the numbers. (Wii has been out since 2007)

Edited on by Magi

Magi

RowdyRodimus

Out of 4,512 (including Japanese an d other region exclusives) games for the PS2 it makes for an average of 13.71% at or under the score of 4. But what you're missing is that I was making the point that IGN seems to forget or not count all of the shovelware that was produced for the PS1 and PS2 but once the "Casual Gamer" friendly and weaker Wii took the sales lead shovelware is looked at by everyone harder than they've ever looked at it before as a way of demeaning the Wii and it's install base.

Plus if you note at the bottom where it says (This is a parody...) I point out that the PS1&2 were great systems and hopefully showing that by twisting numbers you can make an argument for anything, which is what IGN does when they compare ratings like they do and have done in the past.

Edit: But how can you compare two systems that were released in seperate generations?

Edited on by RowdyRodimus

I am the one you despise. I am he who says what you really deep down know but are affraid to admit. I am the Anti-Fanboy, the crusader of truth in a world built on your lies.

Magi

I wasn't necessarily trying to compare the systems as much as I was trying to point out that the older a system is, the more crap games are available for it. Looking back on the numbers, I guess I never imagined how lop-sided the Wii would turn out. full disclosure ftw

I think that as the ability to get games published becomes more accessible to people via things like WiiWare and XBox's Indie games, we're only going to see more and more crap. Percentage-wise, it looks like it's getting worse and worse from generation to generation. I guess the adage about throwing a bunch of junk against the wall and seeing what sticks seems to be the general marketing strategy for companies these days.

I guess we can always vote with our check books! for whatever that's worth

Magi

RowdyRodimus

@Magi No problems, I knew what you were getting at. I was just fixing to say that part of the Wii #'s on Metacritic are WiiWare titles and we know how "great" a lot of those are lol So that's one thing the previous consoles didn't have. But I really don't like them counting WiiWare type titles, that's like basing a review of Mortal Kombat on one of the old Tiger LCD games

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.