Forums

Topic: Xenoblade Chronicles X

Posts 4,721 to 4,740 of 4,814

Darknyht

Anytime a story needs multiple websites to write articles like this (https://www.gamesradar.com/kingdom-hearts-explained/) to explain a story to the masses, it is too complex. But then that is a Square-Enix issue in general as of late and not just restricted to Kingdom Hearts. Xenoblade Chronicles' basic story is fairly linear and the more complex stuff is left optional, and Xenoblade Chronicle X's story is so basic anyone can follow it (but granted you probably will be left confused by completely open-ended nature of the story, it's pretty much left up to user interpretation).

As for the interface, remembering that we are comparing apples to oranges (or Action-RPG to MMO-like RPG) anytime that you have to engage a button to change the functions of any other button you end up with a steep learning curve and risk users screwing up when stressed. Plus they decided to make use of a button many people don't know even exists (R3). Xenoblade is basically a console based, single player MMO and the interface is fairly simple by those standards.

Darknyht

Nintendo Network ID: DarKnyht | Twitter:

SuperLuigi111

Darknyht wrote:

Anytime a story needs multiple websites to write articles like this (https://www.gamesradar.com/kingdom-hearts-explained/) to explain a story to the masses, it is too complex. But then that is a Square-Enix issue in general as of late and not just restricted to Kingdom Hearts. Xenoblade Chronicles' basic story is fairly linear and the more complex stuff is left optional, and Xenoblade Chronicle X's story is so basic anyone can follow it (but granted you probably will be left confused by completely open-ended nature of the story, it's pretty much left up to user interpretation).

It's really not necessary to go looking up articles if you just play all the games.

SuperLuigi111

Darknyht

@SuperLuigi111 While I am glad that you have planted a flag on the opinion that it is easy because you find it easy, but when gaming publications are writing articles with the headline "Kingdom Hearts history - One of gaming's most complicated stories explained" there might be a problem with the story. About the only other series I know that comes close on the level of complexity is Metal Gear/Metal Gear Solid.

Darknyht

SuperLuigi111

Darknyht wrote:

@SuperLuigi111 While I am glad that you have planted a flag on the opinion that it is easy because you find it easy, but when gaming publications are writing articles with the headline "Kingdom Hearts history - One of gaming's most complicated stories explained" there might be a problem with the story. About the only other series I know that comes close on the level of complexity is Metal Gear/Metal Gear Solid.

It was likely written for the unfortunately too many people who play Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2 only and then wonder why they're confused. I'm sorry that you can't appreciate complexity in the story.

Edited on by SuperLuigi111

SuperLuigi111

SKTTR

There seem to be two groups of people: The one's that like a complex story and predefined characters. It's like playing through an animated movie. Just with some RPG stats and leveling up.

And then there are the ones who like RPGs in a purer form. Those are people who love Skyrim, Xenoblade X, Diablo III, Ultima, roguelikes. They like RPGs where they can create their own character and go on their own adventure, exploring an open world until they find something. And this sense of going on your own adventure is like creating your own personal story and that beats even the best predefined stories for many.

Also, Xenoblade X having a weaker story is a myth. I completed all three Xenoblade's and it has the strongest story by far. It's even relatable and feels realistic. Realism is rarely found in today's crazy fantasy RPG stories.

Edited on by SKTTR

backloggery.com/SKTTR

Cobalt

@SKTTR said "Also, Xenoblade X having a weaker story is a myth. I completed all three Xenoblade's and it has the strongest story by far. It's even relatable and feels realistic. Realism is rarely found in today's crazy fantasy RPG stories."

+1 000 000 000 !
How happy I am to read that ! It's absolutely true !

I don't want to be insulting but when I heard everywhere that Xenoblade X had a week story or even no story at all, I thought that a majority of people were too dumb to dig and understand how great the story is AND how smart MonolithSoft was to place the story the way they did.

To integrate a story in a world like that, it's pure genius ! I think 95% people never realized what MonolithSoft achieved with Xenoblade X ! BY FAR, my favorite Xenoblade of the three.

Cobalt

SKTTR

@Cobalt It's not dumb people. It's young people. I guess you're older and dig a mature and realistic story more than a lighthearted kids/teeny story. That's all there is to it.

Edited on by SKTTR

backloggery.com/SKTTR

Xyphon22

@SKTTR I have not finished X yet and have not played 2 because of it, but I have been much more engrossed in the story of X than I was in the original. I really want to know who all of these "people" are and why they the are doing what they are doing. I enjoyed what happened in XC, but I never really felt this wonder of what the next storyline will bring like I do in this game.

Xyphon22

3DS Friend Code: 5069-3937-8083

Cobalt

@SKTTR

I said " I THOUGHT that a majority of people were too dumb ", it wasn't an affirmation but more a question...
And yeah, I'm 42 sooo...

Cobalt

SKTTR

Cobalt wrote:

@SKTTR

I said " I THOUGHT that a majority of people were too dumb ", it wasn't an affirmation but more a question... And yeah, I'm 42 sooo...

Sorry. "The majority of people you talked to about Xenoblade X was too young and not too dumb" is my answer.
Illogical and dumb opinions happen to come up when you talk to anonymous fans. If you get into an argument, ask for their age to be clear and done with it. That's how I found out that the majority of Xenoblade 1&2 fans are younger than me and Xenoblade X fans are the same age (37) and older than me. You are another piece of evidence for my research.

Additionally, I'm not saying that all young players prefer Xeno 1 & 2. I know there are some that prefer X, and vice-versa.

Edited on by SKTTR

backloggery.com/SKTTR

Darknyht

@SKTTR It has a complex story but a lot of it is left ambiguous, as even completing side quests leave you ultimately with a lot of unanswered questions. However, if you just played the main missions, then the story is relatively light and to an extent non-sensical.

Xenoblade Chronicles is still my favorite, but I think that is because there is a smaller cast of characters and they were able to develop their backstories and vignettes better. While I like having so many characters to choose from in X, their development outside of a handful of cast members is lacking and almost throwaway. In some cases the progression feels jarring. The other thing that didn't fully work was that I feel like was playing a passenger in someone else's story (Elma's) instead of it being my character's story.

Darknyht

Cobalt

@Darknyht Except that the main character in Xenoblade X is................................................ MIRA !
I know it sounds stupid but after almost 500 hours in this game, let me tell you that it's clear for me !

Cobalt

Darknyht

@Cobalt Yeah, I know that the developers have even stated that, but even with that view it leaves you with nothing but questions. If there had been DLC to explain things better or answer some of the unknowns it would feel better. While XCX wins on World, XC1 wins on Story.

Too often XCX feels like a tech demo game (like Pilotwings for SNES/N64) for a console launch than the game that would be built with that tech (Breath of the Wild).

Edited on by Darknyht

Darknyht

Cobalt

@Darknyht I don't share your point of view but I respect it.

The story in Xenoblade Wii is cool but kind of Low level "Shonenish" style !
With X, that's totally better, racism, politics, colonisation etc... Basically, you rebuild a puzzle that becomes more and more interesting with the time... Don't want to talk to much, don't wanna spoil but I swear, for me, the story of X is FFFAAAARRRRRR better than the one of Xeno 1 and 2 ! ^^

Cobalt

Darknyht

@Cobalt I am good with that. Life would be boring if everyone agreed on every little detail, especially one like this that really doesn't matter. As I get older I've realized that I actually know less and less (mostly because there is an ever increasing realization of the complexity of life in general); and there are far fewer hills I am willing to die on.

I enjoyed the story of Mira. But as I said before, you almost have to play the side quests to fully understand the story's very intricate plot. I just feel like it didn't stick the landing on trying use the open-ended sci-fi ending. When I say it is compared to Pilotwings, it isn't an insult to the game but a realization that XCX's underlying engine/tech appears to be intended (and probably still will be on the Switch) further tweaked and modified to drive other games on the platform.

Darknyht

kkslider5552000

Xenoblade Chronicles X is like a worse Mass Effect 2 but much bigger, with an actually worse Majora's Mask main story (main story, read: a few vaguely important subplots that sometimes come together-ish) and a less compelling reason or theme to tie together. If both of those games were follow-up games to games with fantastically put together stories (see: put together, I get why people would be meh about...at least some elements of it, but the way it's constructed as a linear storyline in a JRPG is mostly awesome).

...my point basically being that it's like 3/4 of the way there to a super compelling sidequest heavy game where the sidequests build to a greater whole, but the game will then do something stupid to make it more annoying and/or less compelling than it should be. (constant inconsistant enemy levels during certain quests, stupid non-cutscenes where everyone is too far away from the camera for no reason, somehow having even stiffer facial expressions and animations than the original and Tatsu's entire existence being common examples)

Bioshock is 10 years old. Let's play through its horrific environment and see why its so beloved!
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 50...

Cobalt

@kkslider5552000

My god !!! Just with your post, I know that you OR :

just tried the game

OR

never played the game

You clearly talk about things that you don't know... and it's sad... :/

Cobalt

Tsurii

@Cobalt hey, just like you 90% of the time!
I don't agree with @kkslider5552000 's points myself but they're all valid criticisms because not everyone feels like playing a game for 200 hours just to "get" everything in the story. And that's an issue with all Xenoblade games bar Torna (which is DLC before being a standalone game, even tho it works really well as such)

Edited on by Tsurii

What a beautiful signature.
Chew.

Switch FC SW-2755-1473-1221
3DS FC 0662-8621-2250

Twitter, not like there's anything interesting on there

EvilLucario

Lol I defend X on many levels, but story and characters are not its strong suit compared to 1 or 2.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic