Forums

Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD - OT

Posts 1,741 to 1,760 of 1,761

Ralizah

@LegendOfPokemon They improve pretty dramatically over the course of the game. The absolute worst thing about TP is how poor of a first impression it makes, and that extends to the dungeons as well.

This will never be my favorite Zelda game (currently, putting aside SS, which I've yet to play, this is competing with Ocarina for the dishonor of being my least favorite 3D Zelda), but it does get better, and I've gone from hating it to enjoying it fairly well.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

ianl579

@shadow-wolf Between Dungeons 4 and 5.

@Ralizah Yeah, the beginning put me off from playing Twilight Princess for months.

Edited on by ianl579

"You feel it? Fawful is also feeling it! I am needing to feel it even more, though!" - The magnificent Fawful

Tyranexx

@shadow-wolf: Ironically, it took me two tries to fully appreciate Twilight Princess (Wii). The first time around, I stopped 3/4 of the way through the first dungeon as I got stuck; I hadn't played anything like a Zelda game up to that point, and honestly I just remember being fed up with the game to the point that I shelved it for the time being and started to play Okami. In hindsight that was probably a good move since that game is very Zelda-like in many aspects. The second time I gave Twilight Princess a shot, a combination of patience and new knowledge helped me through. After the Tears of Light sections, I'm in agreement with many that the game gets much better. To this day, it's one of my favorite Zelda games (which is saying something since I'm on my sixteenth!).

I'm pretty knowledgeable on the timeline, though to be honest I don't treat it as gospel on all occasions (particularly the Downfall branch). I wish I had gotten into the series sooner, if only to experience the games as they came out versus playing catch-up and cleanup over the last few years. XD

Currently playing: Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch), Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Luna_110

TP’s beginning is a slog... but yeah, second and third play through let’s you appreciate the game’s good points much more. The bad side is that it also reinforces some of it bad points - the tear of light segments and how annoying is to travel Hyrule.

It isn’t my favorite, but it is by no means bad either. It was nice replaying when the Hd version came out. SS on the other hand...

I have a chronic lack of time, for everything.

Now playing: Okami HD, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8536-9884-6679 | 3DS Friend Code: 0877-2091-1186 | Nintendo Network ID: Luna_cs

Octane

@shadow-wolf I believe the sign in the hidden village says ''Welcome to Kakariko'' in Hylian or something like that. It should be easy to translate, since it's a transcription of the Latin alphabet.

Octane

Ralizah

Completed City in the Sky, which I didn't much care for (although the boss encounter was interesting), and also completed some side activities, including opening up Malo's new store in the castle town, and that turned out to be... incredibly surreal, and VERY funny. I can't get the theme out of my head now.

Edited on by Ralizah

Tyranexx

Yeah, Malo's store (and the theme) are just plain weird. At least the prices are less outlandish, which is noticeable if you tried going in there before baby face performed his buyout.

As for City In The Sky....Yeah, I feel that the dungeon boss outshone the dungeon as a whole. I remember the dungeon being sort of hum-drum and borderline frustrating at times (so much WAITING) back when I last played.

Currently playing: Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch), Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations (Switch)

Eel

To be honest, as much as I like Argorok (it even inspired the generic username I use on many sites, as you can see in my signature), the battle is not as epic as it looks.

It's kind of... Not as dangerous as it should be.

Like Morpheel. Which oddly enough...... Why do I name myself after bosses from this game anyway?

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Tyranexx

Meowpheel wrote:

Like Morpheel. Which oddly enough...... Why do I name myself after bosses from this game anyway?

...Because the bosses are awesome?

At least in my case, Trinexx CAN be hard.

Grumblevolcano

@Meowpheel I prefer Hyrule Warriors Argorok to Twilight Princess Argorok.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Ralizah

Yeesh. So, lots of progress today.

1) I played through the Palace of Twilight today. Oddly unfulfilling, though, considering how short and basic it is. And one of my least favorite enemies in the entire series, the wallmaster, returns here! It's all capped off by a cutscene that takes any and all menace away from the Zant character (he goes from Darth Vader to something more like Jar Jar Binks once you see what a wacky, funny animal he is) and a boss fight that just lazily recycles material from previous dungeon bosses. I also have to admit that I laughed when he popped like a balloon after Midna used her powers to kill him.

2) Collected the big quiver, or whatever it's called, that allows me to store 100 arrows! Took the better part of 120 or so rupees, but I finally (barely) finished the mini-game.

3) I then proceeded to clear the entire Cave of Ordeals. It's not too difficult if you go in properly prepared, although nothing makes fighting three Dark Nuts at the same time easy. I also forgot about those invisible rat things that slow you down until you shake them off, so I spent the better part of five minutes in one level of the cave trying to figure out why Link was waddling around like he had a stick shoved up you know where. I finally got to see the Great Fairies, but they seem kind of pointless when they're all cloistered in this one cave. Also, they're pretty unimaginative compared to the flamboyant, fabulous, and occasionally terrifying Great Fairies from games like Ocarina of Time and Breath of the Wild. They're just... generic fantasy fairies here.

So, next time I play, I'm pretty sure I'm ready to go raid Hyrule Castle!

Edited on by Ralizah

Tyranexx

1. That revelation about Zant throws a lot of people off. Honestly, I think it makes him a little more unnerving in his own way when you realize that he's completely NUTS. Yes, it ruins his epicness a little, but for some reason I still weirdly enjoy that fight (particularly the Ball & Chain part).
2. Some mini-games in the series are borderline frustrating if you're going for 100%. Congrats for getting the Big Quiver! (or whatever it's called)
3. The Great Fairies in OoT/MM have probably scarred some children for life.

Eel

I prefer Zant when he loses the edgelord disguise.

After all, Zant is just one letter away from Zany.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

Ralizah

Finished Twilight Princess HD tonight. Mixed feelings.

Hyrule Castle was a disappointment. Almost nothing in the way of music, and no more than a handful of rooms that throw groups of enemies at you before you finally get to Ganondorf. Easily the worst iteration of Hyrule Castle I've seen in this series.

The final boss fight was alright. Puppet Zelda was suitably creepy, although I found the beast and horseback phases to be somewhat annoying (particularly since Zelda can't seem to hit the broad side of a barn with those light arrows). And even though his final form was less difficult to fight than the average Darknut, it was kind of cool seeing it all come down to a one-on-one confrontation between Link and Ganondorf. Of course, Ganondorf was barely even in this game, so it didn't feel like the epic showdown it should have been. Overall, I think I prefer BotW's spectacle and the moodiness of OoT's final Ganon boss fight.

Also, Zelda is magically fine for reasons that were never explained. Definitely my least favorite iteration of the princess: unlike other games, where she's heavily engaged with the plot, this one... surrenders her kingdom to the twilight realm, "kills" herself, and then (poorly) shoots arrows at Ganondorf from the back of Epona after she's magically resurrected. She's a really boring, generic character in this game, unlike OoT, WW, and BotW. I do love her design, though.

Midna was great. Best companion character I've ever seen in a Zelda game, and, honestly, in a game full of boring personalities, she stood out with her sarcasm, fury, and intricate character development. Also loved the tender yet somber final interactions between her and Link. That single, solitary tear she sheds when she accepts that her and Link will never meet again was a great touch. Best character in the series, just behind Tetra and BotW's Zelda.

Plot-wise, this might be my least favorite game in the series. There's little of interest here that isn't directly related to the development of Midna's character. The whole game is practically a contextless search for various MacGuffins that are barely integrated into the larger story.

Outside of Midna, the best thing about the game was the dungeon design. While some of them aren't hugely fun to play through, I feel like the puzzle design here was unparalleled, even in the ones I didn't particularly care for. These dungeons are giant and meaty, yet lack the pointless bloat of OoT/MM dungeons where you spend a ton of time pushing blocks, shooting eyeball switches, etc.

The bosses were all pretty pedestrian, however. I feel like OoT is still the Queen of Zelda games in terms of how creative and challenging its bosses were.

At first, I felt like Link was very stiff and didn't control well, but I feel like, once you learn a lot of the extra moves, he becomes a much more agile fighter, and I'll admit that my complaints about the controls largely disappeared about half-way into the game.

While I'll have to replay Ocarina of Time again to be sure, I think this is probably still my least favorite of the 3D Zeldas. It has some definite high points, but there are too many areas where it's underwhelming or actively frustrating. I'm definitely glad I decided to play it, though.

So far, if I had to rank them, I'd say:
1) Majora's Mask
2) Breath of the Wild
3) The Wind Waker
4) Ocarina of Time
5) Twilight Princess

Once I've got this game out of my system for good, I'll start on Skyward Sword!

Edited on by Ralizah

Eel

About Zelda, yes it's easy to miss, but after the fight with Zant, Midna comments that she doesn't need Zelda's power to stay alive anymore, so she returns it returns to her.

That apparently means Zelda "respawned" somewhere in the castle. Then Dorfie took over.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

Tyranexx

Giant spoiler block, ahoy!

I admit that while Hyrule Castle's track in Twilight Princess isn't the best the franchise has to offer, I still like how the music builds up/is added to as you traverse the castle and get closer to Ganondorf. But yeah, enemy-wise, the castle is a bit bland, and my first time through, I had a heck of a time with the chandeliers (I blame lack of sleep).

As easy as Puppet Zelda is, I do like the creepiness factor there. I kind of hope that some iteration of her returns in a future game. As for Beast Ganon, I'm not too horribly fond of that phase, but brownie points for a killer design in my book. The horseback phase....yeah, that's a pain, and Zelda apparently didn't put any practice in while she was "dead". The final confrontation is honestly one of my favorite moments in the series but is fairly easy once you know what to do. It was my second-favorite final confrontation in the series until recently, where Wind Waker HD's final boss fight pushed it down to third.

Meowph summarized the weird "Zelda is alive!" phenomenon quite well. While she isn't my favorite iteration of the princess, I like her above some others and, design-wise, is still my favorite (though I haven't played BotW yet, so this may change).

Midna was and still is my favorite partner in the entire series, and to be fair I didn't mind that so much of the game revolved around her. I admit that parts of the game's plot are complete pants, but IMO there are way worse games in the series in terms of plot. I wouldn't say Twilight Princess is my favorite plot ever, but IMO I feel that the high points far outweigh the lows.

Most of the dungeons found here are some of my favorites in the series. There are only two of them (Forest Temple/whatever it's called, City In The Sky) that I don't particularly care for. The boss fights are pretty easy for the most part, but a few of them are enjoyable IMO.

I'm still hoping to get to this one in a few months. It's been entirely too long since I last played TP.

Also, "Dorfie". XD

Eel

There's another game with the puppet zelda thing.

And she looks way creepier there.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

shadow-wolf

@Ralizah Nice to see you've completed it! I still have to finish City in the Sky haha, but it'll be interesting to see if my opinion of the game changes by the end.

shadow-wolf

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.