Forums

Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Posts 5,521 to 5,540 of 15,210

Shinion

I'm looking forward to seeing how they handle the open world aspect too. You're right in saying there's been suggestions it could be handled in a similar way to the original Zelda, where you can (almost) freely explore the entire world from the get-go and do the dungeons in any order. I'd be in favour of that, I think it's a good way of having both exploration and linearity in an open world game.

To be honest, I've played a lot of open world games recently, and few have managed to keep me engaged long enough to complete the damn game, let alone be memorable for a long time thereafter. I am hopeful that Aonuma and his team can pull it off, it sure as heck won't be as bland as Dying Light that's for sure. Sandbox? More like blandbox.

Shinion

Grumblevolcano

To be honest I wish Zelda U was revealed via that E3 2014 trailer and Game Awards footage but in E3 2015 instead.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Mirror-Image

TheLastLugia wrote:

I'm looking forward to seeing how they handle the open world aspect too. You're right in saying there's been suggestions it could be handled in a similar way to the original Zelda, where you can (almost) freely explore the entire world from the get-go and do the dungeons in any order. I'd be in favour of that, I think it's a good way of having both exploration and linearity in an open world game.

To be honest, I've played a lot of open world games recently, and few have managed to keep me engaged long enough to complete the damn game, let alone be memorable for a long time thereafter. I am hopeful that Aonuma and his team can pull it off, it sure as heck won't be as bland as Dying Light that's for sure. Sandbox? More like blandbox.

What we don't know, and that's obvious, is how open this new Zelda game will actually be. I really hope there is a linearity to the game, because it just won't feel like a Zelda game without some kind of limitation. I'm all for a more open-world, but, at the same time, there needs to be structure to an open-world game. Most of the open-world games I've played have been garbage. I'm pretty sure Nintendo knows not to blow this and keep their fanbase intact.

Edited on by Mirror-Image

Mirror-Image

Mirror-Image

Haru17 wrote:

In which Aonuma mentions needing to look deeper into underwater gameplay, on top of Twilight Princess' already really cool iron boots segments.

Get hype.

Definitely! It will fascinating to see how the water aspect of this next installment will be played out.

Mirror-Image

Mirror-Image

kkslider5552000 wrote:

They already did water better in Majora's Mask/Skyward Sword so...

Yes to Majora's Mask and maybe to Skyward Sword. Personally, I disliked Skyward Sword and didn't even make it through the game due to pure frustration. For me, one of the worst Zelda games I've played.

Mirror-Image

Shinion

@Mirror-Image: It's honestly up in the air now how much it has changed, but that footage they showed in that 5 minute video in 2014 looked brilliant. Not too big not too small (based on the map on the Gamepad) and areas as far as the eye can see to explore. Is agree that linearity is absolutely necessary, and I think the series staple of dungeons and temples could provide it, have structured but fun ways to discover them and continue the high-standards of Zelda games in terms of their design.

I agree with you too that most open world games have not quite had it in terms of making a world that's enjoyable to explore for dozens of hours. Not just the aforementioned Dying Light which was just generic city with generic zombies thrown around to fill the generic world space up, but I'd even say that as much as I love The Witcher 3 it's world wasn't particularly memorable. Velen, Oxenfurt, Skellige all probably had only a handful of areas that had fun things to see and do.

The problem I think is that most of these 'AAA' developers are obliged by publishers to have massive open areas in their games in order for them to be 'AAA' as per standards nowadays to build hype and they then have to fill it up, which is something most of them aren't skilled at. My favourite Batman game is Asylum because there was nothing to do in the empty boring areas in the other 3 and I feel Asylum thrived by being structured and not packed with filler content, Ubiosft's games bore me after 1 hour tops and don't get me started on Dragon Age Inquisition.

I am confident that Nintendo's first open world Zelda won't fail in the ways those games did I'm sure they've had their priorities right from the get-go.

Shinion

Mirror-Image

TheLastLugia wrote:

@Mirror-Image: It's honestly up in the air now how much it has changed, but that footage they showed in that 5 minute video in 2014 looked brilliant. Not too big not too small (based on the map on the Gamepad) and areas as far as the eye can see to explore. Is agree that linearity is absolutely necessary, and I think the series staple of dungeons and temples could provide it, have structured but fun ways to discover them and continue the high-standards of Zelda games in terms of their design.

I agree with you too that most open world games have not quite had it in terms of making a world that's enjoyable to explore for dozens of hours. Not just the aforementioned Dying Light which was just generic city with generic zombies thrown around to fill the generic world space up, but I'd even say that as much as I love The Witcher 3 it's world wasn't particularly memorable. Velen, Oxenfurt, Skellige all probably had only a handful of areas that had fun things to see and do.

The problem I think is that most of these 'AAA' developers are obliged by publishers to have massive open areas in their games in order for them to be 'AAA' as per standards nowadays to build hype and they then have to fill it up, which is something most of them aren't skilled at. My favourite Batman game is Asylum because there was nothing to do in the empty boring areas in the other 3 and I feel Asylum thrived by being structured and not packed with filler content, Ubiosft's games bore me after 1 hour tops and don't get me started on Dragon Age Inquisition.

I am confident that Nintendo's first open world Zelda won't fail in the ways those games did I'm sure they've had their priorities right from the get-go.

Yes, I agree. It's going to be exciting time for us Zelda fans that's for sure. If only it was available now! But it's okay, there's still Star Fox Zero coming out next month. This should keep us busy for awhile.

Mirror-Image

Mirror-Image

CM30 wrote:

The game definitely looks amazing, I'm just a little disappointed we haven't seen more of it.

Ah well, if there's a Nintendo Direct about this game soon... well, that would be the best thing ever.

As I've posted before, I'm glad Nintendo hasn't revealed too much about the game. I suppose E3 will be when we'll really get a detailed glimpse at the game. The size of the map alone is making me drool as I type this message.

Mirror-Image

Grumblevolcano

@Mirror-Image: There's a big difference between not revealing too much about a game and revealing absolutely nothing for 15 months though.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

DefHalan

@Grumblevolcano: Well, they announced it too early. If they released information throughout this whole time then there wouldn't be as much to show off at E3.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Mirror-Image

Grumblevolcano wrote:

@Mirror-Image: There's a big difference between not revealing too much about a game and revealing absolutely nothing for 15 months though.

I prefer not knowing much about the game at all and like a true element of surprise. Plus, we know a little bit about the game, so it's not like we're all completely clueless as to what kind of Zelda game this is going to be, but, like I said, I don't think it's a good idea to lay all your cards out on the table, especially since the game doesn't even have a proper announcement date.

Mirror-Image

iKhan

Mirror-Image wrote:

Grumblevolcano wrote:

I prefer not knowing much about the game at all and like a true element of surprise. Plus, we know a little bit about the game, so it's not like we're all completely clueless as to what kind of Zelda game this is going to be, but, like I said, I don't think it's a good idea to lay all your cards out on the table, especially since the game doesn't even have a proper announcement date.

How would you feel about artwork that vaguely hints at themes in the game, but confirms nothing, similar to what they did with the art for Skyward Sword?

To me the big issue is the terrible pacing at which new information has been released. We saw the world twice in 2014, then radio silence for a full year.

Edited on by iKhan

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

-Green-

I wouldn't mind seeing some concept art or something for once. Like there is so little to talk about pertaining to this game, that we've literally started talking about grass. Albeit it was done jockingly, but still...

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

Mirror-Image

iKhan wrote:

Mirror-Image wrote:

Grumblevolcano wrote:

How would you feel about artwork that vaguely hints at themes in the game, but confirms nothing, similar to what they did with the art for Skyward Sword?

To me the big issue is the terrible pacing at which new information has been released. We saw the world twice in 2014, then radio silence for a full year.

I certainly wouldn't mind seeing some concept art of some kind. I mean artwork at this stage would, if anything, give a little hint into the game, so that might be nice to see. I agree that information regarding this newest installment of Zelda hasn't been the best or even remotely informative, but I suppose it's all a part of the wait. Patience is not just a part of being a Nintendo fan, it's a prerequisite!

Mirror-Image

Spoony_Tech

I wouldn't be surprised to see that this long delay has something to do with adding a female element to the main character. I believe with all the talk about what was shown and the possibility that Link was actually a girl made Nintendo rethink some things. Of course I never thought link was a girl but with Linkle now out in the wild this news wouldn't surprise me one bit.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

martinskrtel37

it's almost as if the idea of Twilight Princess coming out now was to stop everyone complaining about how there's so little to complain about...

Octane wrote:

everyone needs to relax and enjoy the games that are released today and stop worrying what Nintendo will do in a year or two from now.

3DS Friend Code: 0130-1906-5039 | Nintendo Network ID: martinskrtel37

Blast

Spoony_Tech wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised to see that this long delay has something to do with adding a female element to the main character. I believe with all the talk about what was shown and the possibility that Link was actually a girl made Nintendo rethink some things. Of course I never thought link was a girl but with Linkle now out in the wild this news wouldn't surprise me one bit.

More like the long delay is about the NX getting Zelda and stealing the thunder from Wii U's Zelda.

I bet development is going fine and if the NX wasn't coming... we would ALREADY have an official title and a trailer with much more gameplay. E3 would show the release date and even more gameplay.

Aonuma is only being vague and off-putting because he can't say a thing until NX is ready.

I used to be in the crowd that thought Zelda U was a Wii U only game until I realized that the Wii U truly is coming to a close and that the NX needs Zelda so dang bad its not even funny.

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic