Forums

Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Posts 4,721 to 4,740 of 15,210

Haru17

Eww, that continuity garbage is even worse than Skyward Sword trying to be all surface-level Ocarina of Time 2.0. Well, almost worse.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

CaviarMeths

I haven't actually read it, but my understanding is that CoIE was done to fix all the continuity issues with DC by that point. Kind of just melt everything together in one storyline and wipe it, soft reboot of the whole DC universe.

Nature of the beast, really. When you have dozens of ongoing books written by dozens of different teams, the continuity is a total fustercluck at any given time. Every once in a while you have to hit the reset button.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

Haru17

SpookyMeths wrote:

I haven't actually read it, but my understanding is that CoIE was done to fix all the continuity issues with DC by that point. Kind of just melt everything together in one storyline and wipe it, soft reboot of the whole DC universe.

Nature of the beast, really. When you have dozens of ongoing books written by dozens of different teams, the continuity is a total fustercluck at any given time. Every once in a while you have to hit the reset button.

And that, kids, is why Zelda is better. No Giant Nonsense Toboggans allowed.

Blast

Haru17 wrote:

SpookyMeths wrote:

And that, kids, is why Zelda is better. No Giant Nonsense Toboggans allowed.

Zelda isn't better. Nope not at all.

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

iKhan

SpookyMeths wrote:

3D Zelda games don't just have "decent" camera work. They've been the gold standard of it for three generations of gaming.

Which is why a 12 year old game is still heavily featured in camera programming tutorials.

What a disaster 3D games could have been to control if Mario 64 never came up with the idea of the camera literally being its own independent character. That dynamic camera action was probably the most "cinematic" thing to ever happen to video games.

Unfortunately, since the rise of the 1st person shooter, the Zelda/Mario style camera has heavily lost favor to a more "offset, behind-the-back camera" in a futile effort to get more 3rd person "immersion". The Zelda/Mario camera style is mostly seen now in Japanese games and American kids games.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Haru17

That criticism would make any sense if Ocarina itself didn't give you that exact same offset, behind-the-back camera when Z-Targeting an enemy at mid-close range

Moreover, games like The Last of Us use that style of camera to great effect. Sneaking around behind walls and counters wouldn't have the same effect if you were looking at everything from a sky view like an old Metal Gear game. And it was immersive.

Not to mention how games like World of Warcraft have such a zoomed-out camera that it renders them totally clinical and dead.

That said, I do wish more action-oriented games went the Zelda camera route. It's so nice to just move around and have the camera look for you. VR is more likely to have good camera programming become even more of a lost art, however.

Edited on by Haru17

iKhan

Haru17 wrote:

That criticism would make any sense if Ocarina itself didn't give you that exact same offset, behind-the-back camera when Z-Targeting an enemy at mid-close range

Moreover, games like The Last of Us use that style of camera to great effect. Sneaking around behind walls and counters wouldn't have the same effect if you were looking at everything from a sky view like an old Metal Gear game. And it was immersive.

Not to mention how games like World of Warcraft have such a zoomed-out camera that it renders them totally clinical and dead.

That said, I do wish more action-oriented games went the Zelda camera route. It's so nice to just move around and have the camera look for you. VR is more likely to have good camera programming become even more of a lost art, however.

I think that camera style works great in combat, especially with Z-Targeting when the camera is locked on the enemy. But it's awful for moving around.

My big gripe with behind-the-back camera is that if your goal is to sneak around walls and put the player in an immersive perspective, use 1st person. I don't really see a point in using 3rd person at all in that context.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Haru17

iKhan wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

I think that camera style works great in combat, especially with Z-Targeting when the camera is locked on the enemy. But it's awful for moving around.

My big gripe with behind-the-back camera is that if your goal is to sneak around walls and put the player in an immersive perspective, use 1st person. I don't really see a point in using 3rd person at all in that context.

TLOU, to continue with that example, is a third person shooter, for one; you're shooting, vaulting, and otherwise interacting with the environment in ways first person makes harder to express. First person would decrease situational awareness too much and zoomed out third person would increase it too much, removing all tension. Moreover, it doesn't make a huge amount of sense for a game as cinematic as that to also try to be immersive—the point of first person. We constantly see Joel from an outside perspective in cutscenes so it makes no sense to have us inhabit his perspective.

CaviarMeths

I find the big emphasis on immersion to be mostly a joke anyway, but the 3rd person over-the-shoulder camera is definitely better than 1st person. I just feel so confined and "locked" in 1st person. Lack of peripheral vision kills me. The only thing 1st person camera is good for is manual aiming. Link's bow, sniper scopes in shooters, etc.

There is nothing more immersion-breaking than restrictive camera/controls for the sake of cinematic wankery though, so Mario/Zelda style camera is best for pretty much any 3D game.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

Haru17

Dogmatic game design is dumb, bruh.

I love my immersive first person and cinematic set piece third person camera angles. It's about making the grammar of the game suit the storytelling. This is just the most immersive way to play a video game (immersion usually being a buzzword), VR would only heighten the effect:

Untitled

CM30

Immersive, perhaps. Annoying? To be honest, yes I'd say so. Always found first person games kind of confusing and difficult to navigate for some reason, and I wouldn't like Zelda style combat without a clear view of any enemies in the vicinity.

Try out Gaming Reinvented, my new gaming forum and website!
Also, if you're a Wario series fan, check out Wario Forums today! Your only place for Wario series discussion!
My 3DS Friend Code: 4983-5165-4...

Twitter:

Haru17

CM30 wrote:

Immersive, perhaps. Annoying? To be honest, yes I'd say so. Always found first person games kind of confusing and difficult to navigate for some reason, and I wouldn't like Zelda style combat without a clear view of any enemies in the vicinity.

Remember that bit about dogmatic game design being bad and stupid? Yeah, that.

Of course first person is terribad for Japanese action games like Monster Hunter, Devil May Cry, and, yes, especially Zelda. It is, however, synergistic with Bethesda games which have relatively simple, not intricate attack animations and focus on world building and RPG systems. There's not that many games in either category, honestly.

martinskrtel37

SpookyMeths wrote:

I find the big emphasis on immersion to be mostly a joke anyway, but the 3rd person over-the-shoulder camera is definitely better than 1st person. I just feel so confined and "locked" in 1st person. Lack of peripheral vision kills me. The only thing 1st person camera is good for is manual aiming. Link's bow, sniper scopes in shooters, etc.

There is nothing more immersion-breaking than restrictive camera/controls for the sake of cinematic wankery though, so Mario/Zelda style camera is best for pretty much any 3D game.

yeah the best games immerse you into the world with their gameplay, so good that you forget where you are. it's your imagination that immerses you, after all, not the camera angle. if the game is good you will get lost in it!

Octane wrote:

everyone needs to relax and enjoy the games that are released today and stop worrying what Nintendo will do in a year or two from now.

3DS Friend Code: 0130-1906-5039 | Nintendo Network ID: martinskrtel37

Haru17

Remember the Blizzeta fight from Twilight Princess? That one used a cinematic camera to tilt the view down at the ground, so as to see her in the frozen floor's reflection. It also used a cinematic camera to show you when Blizzetta was reforming, tilting the perspective up at her.

CaviarMeths

martinskrtel37 wrote:

yeah the best games immerse you into the world with their gameplay, so good that you forget where you are. it's your imagination that immerses you, after all, not the camera angle. if the game is good you will get lost in it!

Intuitive camera controls and movement are very important for my immersion in a game. Nothing snaps me out of it faster than tilting the right analog stick and... the camera doesn't respond how I want it to. It's jarring. Feel is paramount to a good, enjoyable game. The controller needs to be a natural extension of my brain and hands.

Of course gameplay is also very important.

Dezzy

SpookyMeths wrote:

Lack of peripheral vision kills me. The only thing 1st person camera is good for is manual aiming.

That'll be what "field of view" is for!

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Nin10dad

@SpookyMeths: Love that signature

nintendad.co.uk

Twitter @nintendad

Switch - SW-5274-3655-0708

Dezzy

So what're the odds well get a trailer tomorrow?

I think we might get something. Really need to see more of this Hyrule. I wanna see a village and the castle. And Zelda. etc etc.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Haru17

50/50, I'd say. Highly statistical.

But yeah, we need to see buildings whether they're castles, ruins, temples, or goron rock huts. We've seen enough grass and wooden towers for now.

TuVictus

I agree. The grass is really pretty, but show us something more exciting now. Like other people, or a canyon/river/mountain

TuVictus

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic