Forums

Topic: Star Fox Zero - OT

Posts 1,561 to 1,580 of 1,588

D_e_A_c_T

And I have nothing to gain by presenting my ideas.
So take from that what you will. Mind you I'm still tracking thru the game and trying to enjoy it.

D_e_A_c_T

DefHalan

televisions wrote:

Just tackling it from different angles.

I mean it. Accessibility and inclusiveness is important.

It is, but it is also important to try different things and celebrate different features. Motion Controls may not work for everyone but that doesn't mean they are bad.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

TuVictus

I think the fact that we're still having this controls argument just proves that they probably should have not made them mandatory. It is just 100% fact at this point that they were divisive, and should probably not be brought back in the next StarFox game, whenever that is. At least, not the only control option available.

TuVictus

DefHalan

@Operative They probably won't be back in the next Star Fox, the Star Fox series is known (and the reason why I love the series) for trying radical and different approaches with each game. However, Nintendo sticking to their guns, knowing these controls were going to be divisive is exactly why I respect Nintendo. They are willing to buck trends and try something new. Mostly only Indies can do that but even then their budgets don't let them go too crazy. Nintendo is big enough to put out a major title for a struggling system with a control scheme that may not be accepted by a lot of people.

LaCru79

Hi everyone!
I have been a fan of the Star Fox series since the first release on the snes and was looking forward to the Wii U game. With all the negative talk upon it's release I'v been a bit hesitant on buying it until I could try it for my selfe. Now that the demo is out I finally tried the game and... I was having a blast!

My question is; if I'm having fun and actually like the controls when playing the demo, will I like the full game? To put it in other words, is there an discrepancy between how the controls work and feel in the full game, with all the action and what not, and the demo?

My FC is: 0473-8793-3927
My Mii nickname is: LaCru79

TuVictus

You'll enjoy the full game 100% I'm sure, if you like the demo

TuVictus

Maxz

@LaCru79 I really doubt the controls are any different. They're divisive, but lots of people get on with them just fine. In fact, a lot of people are perplexed as to what all the fuss is about. If you enjoy the demo, you're probably in the latter group, so it's definitely worth considering.

The good thing from your perspective is that a lot of people have now traded the game in, which has brought the price of second and first-hand games down considerably.

It's not the longest game in the world (that's never really been the point of Star Fox games), but at the current, cheaper prices, I'd say the game is definitely worth it.

Edited on by Maxz

My Mario Maker Bookmark Page
Spla2oon Ranks: SZ: X | TC: X | RM: X | CB: X
HAVE BEEN ENJOY A BOOM

Switch Friend Code: SW-5609-8195-9688 | Nintendo Network ID: Maxzly | Twitter:

LaCru79

@Operative @Maxz
Thanks! Sounds great, looking forward to play the full game. I don't have a problem with short games, grew up with nes and arcade games so I more about getting better and finishing games without dying and trying to find everything.

Edited on by LaCru79

My FC is: 0473-8793-3927
My Mii nickname is: LaCru79

hirobo2

Behold, the precursor of (SNES) StarFox: Twin lasers, phaser "bombs", planetary system, ship that looks like it has pointy ears (G-diffuser system) when viewed from the rear, etc.

(This thing kicks SFZero and its convoluted control scheme's collective arses 10x over...)

Edited on by hirobo2

hirobo2

meleebrawler

Ah yes, remember how the original Star Fox only let you move around the edges of the screen?

That game's just a vertical 2D shoot-em-up in disguise. Hardly see the resemblance to Star Fox outside of both being the same genre.

Alone, a force. Together, a force of nature.

3DS FC: 2535-3888-1548

3DS Friend Code: 2535-3888-1548 | Nintendo Network ID: meleebrawler

hirobo2

@meleebrawler Forget your reading glasses? The iconic triangle of Gyruss title, that's like StarFox (SNES)'s primitive pyramid Arwing. What other shooter game do you get a twin blasters as a power up? What other shooter game (beside flight sims and SkyDestroyer) is the spaceship pointing into the screen? What other game is there a star field that shoots out at the player? What other game is SNES's Rock Crusher (asteroid level) most closely resemble an intermediate Stage 2 mini-boss of Gyruss?

Same can be said of StarFox, it's just a vertical scrolling shooter re-oriented into the screen!

Edited on by hirobo2

hirobo2

DefHalan

hirobo2 wrote:

@meleebrawler Forget your reading glasses? The iconic triangle of Gyruss title, that's like StarFox (SNES)'s primitive pyramid Arwing. What other shooter game do you get a twin blasters as a power up? What other shooter game (beside flight sims and SkyDestroyer) is the spaceship pointing into the screen? What other game is there a star field that shoots out at the player? What other game is SNES's Rock Crusher (asteroid level) most closely resemble an intermediate Stage 2 mini-boss of Gyruss?

Same can be said of StarFox, it's just a vertical scrolling shooter re-oriented into the screen!

Star Fox's gameplay is completely different.

hirobo2

DefHalan wrote:

Star Fox's gameplay is completely different.

Nah. They're both shooters that orient into the screen. Can you spot the "Arwing" in this arcade screenshot of Gyruss? (Hint: It's the spaceship with rear booster and "pointy ears")

Untitled

Haven't spotted the "Arwing" yet? Here it is again, but with twin lasers power-up:

Untitled

Edited on by hirobo2

hirobo2

DefHalan

@hirobo2 can you spot the area that I said "gameplay"

But I am leaning towards @kkslider5552000 position now lol

hirobo2

@DefHalan Nah. Can U spot the part where I said Gyruss was (SNES) StarFox's precursor?

The only reason why the Gyruss "Arwing" moves around in a circle rather than 2D up-down/left-right was b/c the NES's processor sucked. [size="2"](Even then, if it weren't for the SuperFX chip, the Arwing would probably move around in a circle just the same.)[/size] Underneath it all StarFox is a cleverly disguised arcade shooter with essentially the same gameplay as Gyruss!

This is Gyruss's version of Andross:

Untitled
Untitled

SNES StarFox's Rock Crusher boss in the asteroid level stole this idea, only it's a two-petal boss ship instead of four:

Untitled
Untitled

The final boss in Gyruss is an encapsulated brain, same with the part where you must shoot Andross's gray matter:

Untitled
Untitled
Untitled

How sweet, isn't this Corneria?

Untitled
Untitled

And want to talk about wing-men? Only, they're now your enemies, all three similar boss ships, rather than your friends:

Untitled
Untitled

To get at the final boss in Gyruss (the brain), you must shoot at the EYE in the center that opens/closes its eyelid. Same with SNES StarFox where you must shoot the eyes of the mask to get at the Andross cube hiding behind it:
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled

(Btw, my love for Gyruss is 10X that of StarFox, even though StarFox was the best SNES game I've ever played. Why? B/c Gyruss is original, while StarFox is just an imitation of said game...)

Edited on by hirobo2

hirobo2

D_e_A_c_T

Gyruss is better than SF anyway. I get the comparison.

It's an early faux3D on rails space shooter that's really cool.

You could say the same for space harrier too. They laid the groundwork.

D_e_A_c_T

DefHalan

@televisions Side scrolling shooters laid the ground work for Star Fox, just like there are games that laid the ground work for side scrolling shooters, and so on. Maybe Star Fox was inspidered by that game, and maybe used some of the same ideas that were popular for Science Fiction games at that time, but to saw Star Fox is just an imitation is wrong.

D_e_A_c_T

oh I didnt say imitation. if he did, I'm not agreeing with that part.
I just think any kind of on rails shooter is definitely influenced by Gyruss and Harrier

D_e_A_c_T

DefHalan

@hirobo2 Why are we talking about Zelda and Anime in the Star Fox thread? What does this have to do with Star Fox?

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.