Retro Forum

Topic: How is the SNES D-Pad supposed to feel?

Showing 1 to 20 of 21

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Electroice

1. Posted:

Hey, I just bought a used SNES controller (original) and I was just wondering how the D-Pad is supposed to feel. The one on the controller I have is loose and shifts around a bit. It also has a kind of squishy feel. I have heard that older console controllers such as the SNES are supposed to feel less clicky than newer systems but I was just curious as whether the slight shifting and squishiness of the D-Pad is normal or if it is just something that comes with long term usage of the controller. Thanks all!

Electroice

AuthorMessage
Avatar

8BitSamurai

2. Posted:

It's normal.

Official "rare download" assistant
Best YT show here!
Currently playing: Phantasy Star II, No More Heroes, Persona 2: IS, Ys 1
Recently beat: Final Fight, Spec Ops TL, King of Dragons
Favorite games: Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VII, Symphony of the Night, Dragon Quest VIII, Tales of the Abyss

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6175-1689 | Nintendo Network ID: 8BitSamurai

AuthorMessage
Avatar

crazycrazydave

3. Posted:

Mine's is a bit squishy as well, compared to other controllers I've used.

We're going on a bear hunt! We're going to catch a big one!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

eviLaTtenDant

4. Posted:

Like warm apple pie. ;)

Number 2? Says who? >=o]

Nintendo Network ID: LTD_2112

AuthorMessage
Avatar

GuSolarFlare

5. Posted:

normally most buttons on old consoles are squishy instead of clicky but my theory is that that's also why they don't break as easily

looking forward to Codename S.T.E.A.M.
salty tears tenderize true beef
my Backloggery
my Banner made by Dark-Luigi!
My Galaxy Bio also by Dark-Luigi!
All the lights in the sky are stars

3DS Friend Code: 3995-7085-4333 | Nintendo Network ID: GustavoSF

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Reala

6. Posted:

Extremely lacking compared to the far superior circular design :p

there's nothing that's certain... of that you can be certain

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Ryno

7. Posted:

SNES D-Pad is pretty squishy, the NES D-Pad buttons were tighter.

You can always try a new repair kit. http://www.amazon.com/Repair-Original-16-Super-Nintendo-Contr...

Untitled

I miss Japanese games, the good stuff... Games that are imaginative, have good and unique gameplay, a great soundtrack, and replay value.
What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WaveBoy

8. Posted:

I bought two of the repair kits(They were actually from the UK i think...) and they make the D-pad feel pretty stiff and the L & R buttons really clicky. They do feel more responsive than before, but i don't remember the SNES controller's L & R + D-pad feeling this clicky to begin with. Pressing the L & R buttons sounds really annoying now(But i play my SNES with headphones so i can't here the noise anyways hehe) and the D-pad feels harder, similar to the NES's.

Still, my L & R buttons felt mushy 'n squishy as did the D-Pad before hand due to INtense age so i guess it's an improvement. :P One thing is for sure NES controllers always age wonderfully as does the actual system. They're built to withstand anything. ;) The SNES? The buttons will eventually go mushy and if you're one of the more unfortunate Pixelings you're SNES may turn yellow like homer simpsons bodacious & gracious man-tooshie.

I got lucky, my SNES is MiNt.

Edited on by WaveBoy

Currently Playing: Mega Man V!
We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!
80s FANATIC & King of NES Tekkidome!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Ryno

9. Posted:

WaveBoy wrote:

Imy SNES is MiNt.

Becuaze you haz no gamez for it! :P

I miss Japanese games, the good stuff... Games that are imaginative, have good and unique gameplay, a great soundtrack, and replay value.
What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

AuthorMessage
Avatar

ogo79

10. Posted:

LeasTwanteD wrote:

Like warm apple pie. ;)

that and the button membrane repair kits...ive got them for nes, snes and genesis.
it doesnt hurt to keep extra controllers either. i personally take them all apart and scrub the buttons and insides and outsides of the controllers with soap and a toothbrush as well.

ceo of the rare downloads program-"spend yer money on us"
the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WaveBoy

11. Posted:

Ryno wrote:

WaveBoy wrote:

Imy SNES is MiNt.

Becuaze you haz no gamez for it! :P

4 on the SNES and almost 40 on the NES. ;)

Currently Playing: Mega Man V!
We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!
80s FANATIC & King of NES Tekkidome!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

MAB

12. Posted:

ogo79 wrote:

LeasTwanteD wrote:

Like warm apple pie. ;)

that and the button membrane repair kits...ive got them for nes, snes and genesis.
it doesnt hurt to keep extra controllers either. i personally take them all apart and scrub the buttons and insides and outsides of the controllers with soap and a toothbrush as well.

I wash my controllers with a rag on a stick ;)

Untitled

MAB

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WaveBoy

13. Posted:

MAB wrote:

ogo79 wrote:

LeasTwanteD wrote:

Like warm apple pie. ;)

that and the button membrane repair kits...ive got them for nes, snes and genesis.
it doesnt hurt to keep extra controllers either. i personally take them all apart and scrub the buttons and insides and outsides of the controllers with soap and a toothbrush as well.

I wash my controllers with a rag on a stick ;)

Untitled

MAB's first dud of the year. They can't all be winners. ;)

Currently Playing: Mega Man V!
We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!
80s FANATIC & King of NES Tekkidome!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

the_shpydar

14. Posted:

WaveBoy wrote:

MAB wrote:

I wash my controllers with a rag on a stick ;)

Untitled

MAB's first dud of the year. They can't all be winners. ;)

Would have been better with the correct corresponding image:
Untitled
;)

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong. Also, Lindsey Stirling. Because violin awesomeness.
Current E.T. count: 21 Copies. 2 Sealed, 6 CIB, 3 Boxed, 10 Loose.

3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WaveBoy

15. Posted:

the_shpydar wrote:

WaveBoy wrote:

MAB wrote:

I wash my controllers with a rag on a stick ;)

Untitled

MAB's first dud of the year. They can't all be winners. ;)

Would have been better with the correct corresponding image:
Untitled
;)

The_Shpyder wins. ;)
MAB's losing his touch. Must be all of those terrible Sega games. :*

Edited on by WaveBoy

Currently Playing: Mega Man V!
We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!
80s FANATIC & King of NES Tekkidome!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SomeBitTripFan

16. Posted:

Yeah, it's supposed to feel that way. I'm going to assume your controller creaks when you use it also.

Just Someloggery
Current Projects: Beloved Titan
On the Back Burner: The Machine, Ascending Entity, Antumbra, Between Two Causes, Heaven's Point, Binary, A Pixel and a Dot, Base O-70, A Wakeful Purgatory
A Vacation is a Click Away!
My Avatar: Where Doge Coin is Going
Where's the Poetry? I'm lazy.

Nintendo Network ID: SomeBitTripFan

AuthorMessage
Avatar

MAB

17. Posted:

WaveBoy wrote:

the_shpydar wrote:

WaveBoy wrote:

MAB wrote:

I wash my controllers with a rag on a stick ;)

Untitled

MAB's first dud of the year. They can't all be winners. ;)

Would have been better with the correct corresponding image:
Untitled
;)

The_Shpyder wins. ;)
MAB's losing his touch. Must be all of those terrible Sega games. :*

Bart has been done to death so I went for originality instead... Judging by how many times this was quoted it paid off well ;)

MAB

AuthorMessage
Avatar

ogo79

18. Posted:

WaveBoy wrote:

Ryno wrote:

WaveBoy wrote:

Imy SNES is MiNt.

Becuaze you haz no gamez for it! :P

4 on the SNES and almost 40 on the NES. ;)

i understand, youve got to make sure you have plenty room for sega genesis games

ceo of the rare downloads program-"spend yer money on us"
the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Stu13

19. Posted:

Feels much better than the d-pad on the Wii pro controllers. Wall jumping in Super Metroid is a pain with that thing, as opposed to with the original pad where it felt nice and natural. God, I miss my SNES sometimes.

I think Nintendo games are cool, and good.
Proud veteran of the Bit Wars.
3DS friend code: 5000-2563-9647
NNID: Stu000

Twitter: Stu_Hell

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Ryno

20. Posted:

ogo79 wrote:

WaveBoy wrote:

Ryno wrote:

WaveBoy wrote:

Imy SNES is MiNt.

Becuaze you haz no gamez for it! :P

4 on the SNES and almost 40 on the NES. ;)

i understand, youve got to make sure you have plenty room for sega genesis games

I don't blame you guys for having more NES and Genesis games becuase SNES games are pricey!

Untitled

I miss Japanese games, the good stuff... Games that are imaginative, have good and unique gameplay, a great soundtrack, and replay value.
What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo