Forums

Topic: The everything Xbox thread

Posts 5,961 to 5,980 of 11,914

NEStalgia

@DarthNocturnal lol

It didn't say it was syncing at any point (and didn't show the select x360 hdd screen). Just came up with the press start button (unless they fixed it and syncing happens after your press start, but I'm hesitant to try.). I did totally quit before restarting.

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

Moving original post here so it actually makes sense to anyone else since it accidentally posted in the wrong tab:

@darthnocturnal what were those steps again for nuts and bolts? I started the game, quit it at the start prompt, restarted the game, but i still was at the start prompt. I quit again before messing it up. How do i know if it's right?

NEStalgia

Banjo-

I didn't have that issue because I don't have a 360 console but @DarthNocturnal 's tip is crucial for people that do.

I had two save issues on Xbox One though:

1. My Viva Piñata garden corrupted, this might be because I accidentally exited the game while it was saving (I played it so many times). The game saves every minute or so automatically so better to exit the game from the menus... always. This wasn't a nightmare because you can make a new garden with all the unlocked stuff and actually my second garden was better. I was online so the cloud save file was corrupted too (and the garden's entry never disappeared).

2. I don't know if they fixed this but when I was about to beat Resident Evil Zero Leech Hunter mode which is quite tricky and doesn't save until you beat it my internet connection dropped and the game returned to the title screen. :S So I set the console to offline mode and beat the mission... again.

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

ThanosReXXX

Rumor time!

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

NEStalgia

@BlueOcean Yeah, I kind of hate Disney overall. Not as a concept, or Walt's characters, but the corporation it is today, and thus everything it touches. KH is indeed good because it's not Disney, though that might be pure luck. Marvel vs. Capcom was stuck in a hole forever due to Disney's heavy handed handling of Marvel's licenses for example. And of course there's Star Wars and the EA exclusivity contract.... and of course the fact that Disney shut down LucasArts and all the wonderful talent there in order to bring everything in-house, and then immediately after shutting down the in-house studios too and focusing on mobile. Outside of gaming is of course their buyouts of any digital media company they find, and their manipulation of the streaming market. Ugh. Walt wasn't the most savory of characters himself, once you start taking a closer look at him, but still, he must be turning in his grave with what Eisner, and worst of all Iger have done to that company. The last of the actual Disney family was purged a few years back for disagreeing with his direction.

KH 1 and 2 were co-developed with Squeenix and Buena Vista Games (the "core" games spinoff from Disney Interactive when DI went to kids-only games.) Otherwise, DI itself didn't make too many games that weren't direct tie-ins to Disney brands and films, but the handling of licensing, exclusivity, and the destruction of LucasArts really took a dent out of gaming. George Lucas owes gamers. And his X1 appearance at the infamous Mattrick E3 with Spielberg as an uncomfortable segway to Quantum Break doesn't make up for it.

@ThanosReXXX Sites like How Long To Beat aren't half bad, as long as a game has enough people posting times. It gives a good average, and lets you compare by platform which is sometimes telling where PC people with mods and such may spend longer on multiplat games. Plus they divide main quest rushes, completionist times, and "main + extras" i.e. side quests etc. It tends to low-ball it often but generally I find it's not too off. At a minimum it's a good comparison between games. I.E. if they say Fable is 10 hours, and FFXV is 45 hours, and you know FFXV took you 82 hours....that gives you a feel for Fable, relatively.

Still, though, Fable seems like it should be so long....no idea why it's not. And I'm not seven sure Peter ever knew what he wanted to achieve. He was amazing at Bullfrog, but I'm not sure if EA broke him, the weird situation that lead to Lionhead broke him, or he just went into his "1970's experimental Miles Davis mode" and off the deep end. He kind of became the western Kojima. Tons of ambition but no vision or clarity of what he's actually trying to do so he just spends money and decades trying to make it and never being satisfied. Black & White was an utter mess. Cool concept but never went anywhere and was broken to boot, and the Fable series is very good, very flawed, very weird, and didn't what do what he wanted it to do. And then after the backlash of Fable 3, he went into hermit mode. He's working on The Legacy.....so please look forward to that. I hope to see it, along with Deep Down, at E3.

@DarthNocturnal I'm pretty sure I did have a copy on the 360 itself (I wasn't even using cloud backups at first....back on the 360 didn't you need Live to have cloud backups rather than free-for-everyone?) Though I don't feel like hooking up the old 360 to find out. I may throw caution (and my saves) to the wind and try it anyway then. I hate to lose the progress, but in reality, if I can't start it on the 1, I'm probably never playing the game again anyway. I'm nervous but maybe tonight I'll do it.

It technically makes sense they'd fix it...."it erases your cloud saves on start" is a pretty massive bug for a first party game when BC has only cloud saves, and it's a big platform feature. It would be weird if they just left it that way forever. It worked fine on 360 so that was a new bug introduced with attaching it to the X1 BC API.

Still...I'm nervous about overwriting anyway, even though i was far from 100%.

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

Ooh, I just stumbled into something really cool, with excellent timing (and also really weird!)

A few weeks ago I finally got around to testing Mass Effect: Andromeda on PS4 Pro. I have it on both platforms, but it's one of the "tween" games from between PS4 Pro and X1X launch that got a Pro patch and not an X patch (and then was a commercial failure and the studio closed.) Based on DF and other comparison videos the game definitely looked better on PS4 Pro than 1X. So I spun it up on the Pro and thought it looked great. Hated that I had to play it on PS since X1 (or PC) has been my Mass Effect platform (and of course the series started as a first party XBox series before it went to EA and multiplat, and it just "feels" like an XBox game (probably because it is...) Since then I added the whole BC catalog to X1 from ME1 onward.

So last night I decided to spin up Andromeda on the 1X and do the graphics comparison to Pro that I've been meaning to do since June or so..... And what I saw, looked good. It looked really good. I was surprised....I could play this on X....the Pro version must not be as much better as I remember the DF videos....

Nope, I just looked it up....it looks like just about 2 or 3 weeks ago, EA stealth released an X1X Enhanced patch! What's weird about this is that nobody announced it. EA said nothing, MS said nothing. What's even weirder is, at first, apparently the MS Store was updated with XBox One X Enhanced signage on the game...there are screenshots in the articles about it showing it. Yet at least as of when I checked yesterday, the website is back to how it was, no X1X Enhanced signage. It does show up in the big X1X Enhanced list now, but shows only HDR, not 4K UHD in the grid.

So this is a really weird case. One of the games that had a Pro patch and no X patch, was a dismal failure, the sequels cancelled/suspended, and Bioware Montreal was shuttered as a result. Yet a year and a half later, someone else at EA quietly works on an X1X patch, releases it, tells no one. MS doesn't mention it in its events or pages. MS updates the page to show it as Enhanced....then rolls back the page to pretend it isn't. Even though it is. And just 2 or 3 weeks after they do this I just happen to run the copy I've had since June to see how much worse it really looks vs Pro....only to find it now looks better (same checkerboard 4k, better lighting/shadows/reflections)....and if I'd tested it 4 weeks ago I'd have probably shelved it and never run it again, never knowing it was patched. Good timing, great addition, weird way of doing something that seemed impossible to happen given the state of the franchise. Maybe that means the sequels are quietly on the table again? If they were considering it, BFV tanking on launch might make them really consider their single player IPs again....

This now leaves DeusEx: MD as the only game (that I care about, anyway) that still looks (way, way) better on PS4 Pro than on X1X. I wish that one would get patched too, but, Squeenix....franchise hiatus....older game...seems unlikely. I prefer it on XBox, and dang does it look rough on XBox....on X1X it actually looks worse than base PS4....900p vs 1080p since it was designed for the OG Bone.

But Andromeda, despite being a hated game, is a really pleasant surprise to become not just acceptable but preferred on XBox where I preferred it anyway.

https://gamingbolt.com/mass-effect-andromeda-ps4-pro-vs-xbox-...

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

redd214

All that to basically say, Andromeda got a X patch you didn't know about and it looks good lol.

Never understood the extreme hate that it got. Wasnt the pinnacle of the series but I personally enjoyed my play thru of it. Got it for $10 on sale and was well worth it.

redd214

NEStalgia

@redd214 got 2 ply me:a 4 x1. Got x ptch. Lks gr8, kthxbai.
Better?

Yeah, I'm not too far into it, but from the portion I've played, it seems like a pretty good game. The story may not be riveting like the Reaper's story and the intrigue of the Citadel when the series began....and most of the RPG has been stripped out of it without the tons of NPC conversations, but as a sort of continuation of where 2 and 3 went, it seems pretty solid. Though that's after patches, I understand it was in pretty bad shape on launch and that probably colored perceptions quite a bit. (Unlike, say Fallout 76, that's missing fun gameplay AND was delivered in bad shape.)

@DarthNocturnal I keep trying to search online for the problem and/or that it's been fixed. Weirdly, I can't even find things talking about the problem.

@ReaderRagfish It lists 30 hours for a rushed playthrough of doing the main campaign only. 50 hours for main and extras (meaning "most" side quests etc.) 65 hours if doing it leisurely. (which is more than your time) and a whopping 75 hours for leisurely completionists. Seems pretty accurate. Your playthrough fits it.

XC2 is a fun one to look up - 111-218 hours for average to leisure main+extras. Starting at over 250 hours for average completionists Skyrim has similar numbers.

Edit: My XC2 play-through was 120H or so....so it fits well. I did much of the stuff but certainly not everything.

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@DarthNocturnal You know, come to think of it, if cloud saves required Live Gold on the 360 (unlike the One) I might not even have my Nuts & Bolts saves in the cloud...I bought Gold after I played N&B I think. Unless it auto-synched it.

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@DarthNocturnal That might be it then. N&B and Halo Wars were the first two games I got when I got my 360. I probably never actually copied the saves to the cloud to begin with after I got live. I don't think my Halo Wars saves were on the cloud when I started it..... Deus Ex: HR, Sonic Generations, Mass Effect 2 were....but those were later era games after I had Gold. Ah well, time to start anew I guess (I hope!)

@ReaderRagfish That was a dark era at MS, as they gutted all their studios. Molyneaux was ranting that he'd never work with MS again, Rare was made to make N&B then demoted to Kinekt, Ensemble was being ripped up, MS was destroying every studio they touched. It's telling, when you look at executive management of XBox/GameStudios at the time, it was mostly people who have since been the people destroying every studio at EA. Plus Mattrick who probably sells insurance or something now.

I don't think the problem with N&B was N&B, it was that it was the first post-Microsoft game advertised as a Banjo game, and the fact that it wasn't really a Banjo game kind of embodied the entire mood of MS swallowing beloved brands to turn them into something else. I liked N&B...never finished it though. But I knew it wasn't real Banjo and never even had an N64.

NEStalgia

TuVictus

Poor Rare. I'll always remember the joy I had at learning a brand new Banjo had just come out. We had just gotten internet at my house for the first time and had literally 0 idea of its existence. I remember seeing it, instantly putting it on my christmas list, and actually really having a lot of fun with it despite the absolutely devastating backlash it was getting when I discovered it, haha.

I remember reading an unverified account of an employee at MS or Rare that explained why N&B happened. Rare worked on a prototype Banjo game to show rare, initially were planning on a full remake of the first game to get the team familiar with the console (I suppose a remake like Live N Reloaded), and MS had another team working on this vehicle building game. Forgot what happened exactly but apparently MS was like "hey why don't we combine these" and now we have Nuts and Bolts.

Allegedly, of course.

TuVictus

NEStalgia

@PikPi Based on what I know Game Studios was like in that era in other teams, that's a wholly believable situation. However it would have been less like "hey why don't we combine these" and more like "We need to combine cost streams, and have decided you're going to combine these projects."

NEStalgia

TuVictus

@NEStalgia Oh most definitely, haha. I remember reading how an MS executive thought acquiring Rare meant they had DK. MS of that era...not my favorite.

TuVictus

NEStalgia

@PikPi Then there was the TGS when X-BOX was launching and were invited to speak. Bill Gates went off script and turned the whole thing into an X-BOX ad.....one of the many reasons Japan shunned the platform, along with the perception that everyone they dealt with was crass and brash American businessmen.

With personalities like Peter Moore and Mattrick around, who needed enemies?

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

Banjo-

@NEStalgia

Zeus, you used 100 lines to say that you didn't know about an X patch and you even elaborated a conspiracy theory. It's not that weird, only new big games are advertised as Xbox One X-enhanced on the front page, the other games you have to check on the list:

https://www.xbox.com/en-us/games/xbox-one/xbox-one-x-enhanced...

In any case it should be EA and not Microsoft to give the heads-up, probably they tweeted, I don't know. Even first parties (like 343 Industries) announce this kind of things on their own, they don't wait for Microsoft to put them on the Xbox.com front page although Microsoft usually announce it on one of these:

https://majornelson.com/

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/

The fact that on the official list it only says "HDR" tells me that EA told Microsoft "HDR", so apparently EA is the one acting strange.

For backwards compatibility I prefer this site over the Xbox.com list:

https://majornelson.com/blog/xbox-one-backward-compatibility/

And did you say that you prefer to lose your Nuts & Bolts save data before hooking up your Xbox 360?

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Agreed on all things Fable/Molyneux. We could also view it in a glass half full kinda way, and simply say that no matter the hardware platform, the man was always ahead of his time/too ambitious for the hardware of that current generation, but then I remember that absurd cube tapping smart phone game, and I have to conclude that the man has mostly lost his way, or was never following any clear path in the first place...

As for that website: mjeh... I still don't know. I'd see it as no more than a rough indication anyway. I'm anything but an average gamer, except not as in better, but as in worse, simply because I don't spend that many hours playing games anymore. There's a couple of genres that for some reason still come naturally to me, and those are racing games (sim and arcade alike), fighting games, and soccer games. I'm just always either relatively good at those, or even way above average, no idea why, These are just types of games that I can get into and get accustomed to relatively quickly.

My fourth best genre is probably platformers, which I can still play well enough, and finish in a relatively decent amount of time, but shooters, RPG's and so on, not so much though, so the positive achievements kinda stop right there, meaning endless replaying of levels where I get stuck, and what not, leading to frustration, stopping with playing the game altogether, picking it up again months later to give it another go, finding out I got even worse, and so on, and so on, until I finally somehow get lucky and am able to finish one of these infernal levels that I used to be stuck in for months...

So, in short: only my own experience will tell me how a long a game takes me, not an external source.
I also don't really see the usefulness of that info in the first place. It'll take as long as it'll take, whether that's 6 hours or 26 hours, who cares? And I'm by no means a completionist, so that's not it either. I just play in my own tempo, make a relatively large amount of mistakes, lose attention and what not, and those are things not factored into the time measurements on sites like these, so to me, it's completely worthless.

But to each their own, I guess, and if someone else actually does find it useful, well... then I'm glad that it is there for them, but I'll pass, thank you...

By the way, entertaining Mass Effect story. In the end, the conclusion is that X is still better, regardless of how long it took them or how stealthily those buggers implemented that final patch...

@PikPi So, literally bolted together then, haha.

I thought it was an okay-ish game, but no more than that, and I most certainly NEVER considered it to be a true Banjo-Kazooie game. At most, it was a well-intended, but failed spin-off to the main series, which in my opinion is an eternal shame, because it was not what (most) dedicated Banjo fans were waiting for.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Banjo-

ReaderRagfish wrote:

@NEStalgia I always wonder how the people on hltb play their games so quickly, I often take way longer. For example, it lists Dragon Quest VI as a 30 hour game, but it took me 60 hours. I don't even bother checking it at this point.

I take around twice as much time. I assume that they are rushing and they already know exactly how to play the game, how to get everything, etc. Besides, I take my time, especially in 3D games to check everything and spend more time in places that I like, or even looking at the ceiling and almost every corner to check them out. I started doing this in my first 3D game, Super Mario 64.

Nuts & Bolts is not a platformer but it's a lot of fun. Grabbed by the Ghoulies was considered rubbish by many people and Rare makes a joke of it in Nuts & Bolts, but I liked GbtG quite much.

@PikPi Yes, that old Microsoft was ignorant but I don't like the new Rare boss Craig Duncan either because he doesn't understand what Rare is. Did you guys listen to him at the last event in November and Sea of Thieves' executive producer Joe Neate was looking at him like... I bet someone at Microsoft put him there and nobody likes him. He has worked at Codemasters, Midway and Sumo Digital already although he sounds like he has never left his farm (nothing against farmers, just against this guy) so let's hope he goes to Zynga next.

@DarthNocturnal @NEStalgia In short, if the cloud and local save files don't exist the game has no way to know if you have played the game before in another console (it was designed for 360 after all) and it just makes a new save file when you press the Menu (Start) button.

The interesting thing is that syncing is so easy on Xbox One, if you play one single 360 games all 360 games get synced but I don't know how it worked on Xbox 360.

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX Haha, yeah, I mean at Bullfrog he was genius. Populous, Dungeon Keeper, Syndicate, Magic Carpet.....amazing games, some of the best to come out of EA. But after the whole debacle there, he's never been on his game (pun not intended) again. You could say he was only one component that needed others to keep balanced, but he started Lionhead with his right hand from Bullfrog. And they lost Bullfrog due to crazy drunken antics together to begin with....

It's a shame, he's done brilliant stuff, and you can see the brilliant ideas are there...but he hasn't been able to crystallize those since Dungeon Keeper.

I'm faring better than you in completion times, but it still sticks in my side when all the kiddies go on about how they're already in post game content, New Game +, and started only in hardest difficulty but found the game too easy still.......I want to reach through the screen and throttle them.

I use HLTB often when picking games from the backlog to see if I may or may not have time to finish game X by the time I'd need to put it down for various reasons, or to compare "how bloated is game Y" It spares starting a game I know I'll love but not finishing it because it was bigger than I expected.

LOL, yeah, X is better...a year and a half later, their faces are no longer tired, apparently. If only someone could kick Squeenix in the shins and get them to port the Deus Ex Pro patch to X all would be right in the world.

@BlueOcean Well, more like I'm not sure if I ever had the save data in the cloud to begin with, and I'm too lazy atm to connect the 360 to find out It may be safely on the 360 that I probably won't play ever again anyway since everything I cared about works on the X and runs better there anyway

Haha, yeah I don't know much about Duncan but he didn't think much of him in that interview or his approach to the games. Though if he was at Sumo that gives me some amount of faith....Sumo does good work. Codemasters and Midway, not so much these days.....

NEStalgia

Banjo-

@NEStalgia Nah, I bet that he is the typical boss that doesn't really do anything important. I had a boss like that and we always believed that his CV was faked because we all knew how to do everything better.

I have to check the websites I posted above to know that games are added to the X-enhanced collection so that's not ideal and I get your point but I have to admit that the support that Xbox One X is getting from all third parties is outstanding, I bet that we didn't expect so much and so good. The backwards compatibility library is also huge (original Xbox not yet).

So are you saying that you are finished with the 360 console or you are finished with that particular game?

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia My main, and often my only criterion to buy or not buy a game is simply if I get enough of a feeling that I'd like to play it or not, and that isn't in any single way connected to how long it would possibly take me to finish it.

Unless it's a three hour run-through, even for the most average gamer out there, but that's going into extremes...

But in all seriousness: if the genre, the topic/story, style and so on appeal to me, then that's already more than good enough for me.

And for each and every one of my consoles, I've also bought several of the so-called must have titles, or games of which I personally thought "if I don't buy them now, my chance to ever get my hands on them at a later time will be gone forever".

I've always kept in mind that if ultimately, I don't happen to like some of these games, then I'd simply trade them in, but funnily (or typically/luckily) enough, that has never happened, because (so far) I liked all of them.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic