Forums

Topic: The everything Xbox thread

Posts 5,981 to 6,000 of 11,903

redd214

@NEStalgia man forgot about Populous! 0layed the crap out of that game when I was a kid. Was the first game I purposely tried to "break" lots of great memories with that one! May have to add that to my snes classic here soon!

redd214

Banjo-

It is an easy-to-predict game. 3 and Code Veronica are crying out for this after the best remake ever.

Banjo-

NEStalgia

Wow, Fable II really does look a little blurry even on 1X. I'm surprise those games aren't enhanced like a lot of even third party BC games. I'd have thought Fable would be something they'd showcase more despite being on hiatus, especially with the remaster of 1.

@BlueOcean Technically, mostly finished with the 360 console. I wouldn't get rid of it. I do have a few physical games from back in the day that I may someday want to play and that's still the only way to do it (anyone remember The Saboteur, Pandemic's last game before EA shut them down (on launch day!) That was a really good game. But generally 90% of everything I'd ever use the 360 for now runs (and runs better) on the X1X!

@ThanosReXXX I don't buy games based on length, but I may choose which order I play them from my backlog based on length if I know I won't be able to finish it if I start it now, etc. Or if I know I have a long period of time I'd be playing, I don't want to open up something that I'd finish in 10 days if it's a good window to play an 80 hour epic.

@Delibheel Welcome to the boards, new modera.....oh, it's just you.

NEStalgia

Eel

Good news, I got my free month of game pass.

Now I shall proceed to waste most of it because they added it as active time instead of giving me a code, and I don't particularly wish to play any of the games right now (and also I won't be able use the xbox for about half of that month)

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Well that sounds fair and logical enough.

Hey Meowpheel... Ehm.. Yosh... oh, wait: @Delibheel? Wtf?
Anyway, yesterday, I actually wanted to ask you how things turned out with that photo sending business, but
I forgot, and after that, I had some problems accessing the site, so because of that, it slipped my mind again.

Bit of a mixed bag then, aye? Finally having it, but not being able to choose when to use it.
Oh, well. Far as I'm concerned, it really isn't all that special, although it is handy to be able to play newer games, and a host of older games without having to buy them, but it's not for everybody.

If it's any consolation: I actually also ruined my free GamePass, and because of my bundle, I even had two months worth of it, but because I had no idea what it was exactly, I simply activated it shortly after having installed the Box, but after that, I never really looked into it anymore, so it came and went, pretty much without me knowing what it was supposed to be used for, and then I just got an e-mail notification afterwards of my subscription to GamePass ending...

Didn't care much, and still don't. I like the normal Xbox Live subscription more: that's valid for the entire year, and even if you don't really use it, you still get all the free games...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

Dezzy

So we're getting Tomb Raider and Devil May Cry demos today?

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Banjo-

I only watched until Best Action Game award which was the first award, it was late in UK and I fell asleep. I liked the host though. @DarthNocturnal Does it qualify for the MixPot rewards and what are they? Nice to see that Forza Horizon 4 got the best sports/racing game award, it deserves it.

Crash Team Racing is real, launches on 20th June 2019. I am excited about it and Team Sonic Racing.

Banjo-

NEStalgia

I was half tempted with the sales to buy a spare X1X just in case the first ever dies considering the huge library I have amassed for it 250+ and counting....) Not sure I feel like splashing the cash for it though. Especially when I probably need to buy a new PS4 Pro soon (despite it's dwindling library for me....FF going to Switch....now Persona5 maybe going to Switch.....down to like 29 games I want to play on it ...but that incessant beeping keeps getting worse. Could be overheating for all I know.)

@BlueOcean btw, you were talking about Craig Duncan and Rare the other day. It looks like he was involved in Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed....maybe he's not so bad I'm more worried about Simon Woodroffe the creative director....he has all the wrong company associations.

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@BlueOcean Good call on CTR. Looks nice too. Perhaps they'll also add the original game to it, or in some limited edition, so people can experience and/or relive that as well.

@NEStalgia Yeah, of course, why don't you? Buying two new consoles on a whim... pffff...

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX Haha, not a whim so much as "I don't want to but the sales are good and if I don't buy now I'll regret it"....I mean you know how my hardware luck runs.....and the internal HDDs are stupidly not replaceable on X1 I don't want to though, I already bought a spare Elite and spare HDD (the HDD is arguably most important since I have almost 7TB of games I'd lose...I could redownload but my ISP might not be happy about that )

I probably won't do it though. The PS4 I kind of have to, unfortunately (not even a sale Pro is never on sale )....I keep trying to put it off because I don't want to buy it, I don't play it nearly as much as X1 and Switch, and I don't have as many games for it, but right now I kind of purposely don't touch it much because it just beeps most of the time and despite working fine otherwise...that can't be a good omen for it's longevity. Hard to justify since the X1 gets most of the play, and the Switch is the most likely to be damaged....if I were to buy another that's the one it should be but....stupid breaking PS. OTOH with the rumors of Persona5 going to Switch, all of FF going to Switch, Nier going to X1, and such, the list of PS4 games has drastically shrunk for me.

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Well, the internal HDD actually IS replaceable, except not officially. There's several YouTube tutorials on how to do it, so you could always give that a go. Cheaper than having to buy an entirely new console, AND you'd be able to install a larger capacity drive...

Banjo-

@NEStalgia Can you buy me a new TV please? Buy a new console when one of the them breaks. The only replacement console I would buy right now would be a New 3DS (the smaller and better model) because they are not manufactured anymore and Switch is not backwards compatible.

@ThanosReXXX It has split-screen multiplayer and online which is also nice (and uncommon).

Banjo-

Eel

Now now, let's not abuse the trust of our rich friend.

I just want a new pair of joycon.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX I haven't looked at S/OG teardowns. I do know for the X that replacing the HDD involves almost a complete teardown of the entire machine....that's a pretty ugly process and a lot of screws. For some reason the decided to put the HDD under everything. Small is nice but I think I'd rather have serviceable than the extra few mm shaved off. It's something I would consider attempting, but the potential damage makes a GamesStop tradein of the dead one almost look profitable.....

@BlueOcean Actually you raise a good point, I don't have a spare display....and the screen is older.... sigh that's likely to break first (though I do get good monitors, and expect them to last a good, long time...they're business displays sold sometimes for digital signage so they're meant for a looong run time. Not junky consumer TVs that sell for a thousand bucks and last 7 years. ) Still, yeah, the spare X will have to wait indefinitely.

Plus with Smash, it's a foregone conclusion I need either a GCN controller, or spare Pro controller....because that game, like Splatoon, and MH, will rip up my controllers (no way I'm using the Elite/Brook for Smash! Not even going to use the Elite for DMC5. Too expensive for that abuse.

@Delibheel not rich, just preemptively pessimist. I expect everything will break on me and at the lest opportune moment to replace it, so if I replace it before I need to replace it when I have a chance, it's handy to stock spares Invariably when it does break I'll either be unable to afford/justify replacing it, or it will be in the middle of a Chinese trade embargo where only 10 become available per year and cost $10,000 each.

NEStalgia

Banjo-

@NEStalgia You need to write a book about the apocalypse of the world.

Banjo-

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Far as I know, it's the same with the S, but in all honesty, it didn't really look all that complicated to me, and I'm not even a tech head. Took apart my Wii, built several PC's so unscrewing/opening up an Xbox One to replace a drive connected with only two cables would seem like a better solution to me than coughing up another $400 to buy a new one, but to each their own, I guess.

And now for something completely off-topic, so bear with me:

If you're even remotely serious about pre-emptive pessimism: don't be. It brings you nothing. Being careful is good, being apocalyptic is not. Remember the age-old saying: "ask and ye shall receive". That was never intended as a means/shortcut for people to get rich or famous over night, but the universe does seem to work in such a way, that when you adapt a certain mindset, the world around you, the universe, or whatever you want to call it, will respond in kind.

So, look at everything glass half empty, and that is what you will always get. Look at life glass half full, and a lot less annoying stuff will happen. Oh, and neither the universe nor the human brain understands or works with negative connotations or thoughts. Sounds floaty, I know, but it has been scientifically proven, that the brain for example, can't understand the word 'not' or any derivative of it, such as 'don't'.

So, if you either think or say 'well, it's getting really cold this month, hope I don't get sick', the brain will process that as 'hope I get sick', and chances are, you actually DO catch a cold or worse. Not 100% sure, mind you, but chances on it happening will increase. It's basically mind over matter, a principle that has allowed people to do both the worst and the most marvelous things to themselves and others for as long as humans have existed.

Anyway, enough said. Must be the Christmas spirit creeping in...

On with the Xbox show, although I must say that I'm still a bit baffled by the Switch getting the latest Mortal Kombat game. Also quite funny that it is the 11th game, that comes exactly 11 years after the last appearance of a Mortal Kombat game on a Nintendo platform. Coincidence? Methinks not...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

NEStalgia

@BlueOcean LOL....and people thought Fallout76 was the worst thing to happen to the apocalypse genre....

@ThanosReXXX Maybe the breakdowns made it look more complicated than it is? Because it looked like one of the nastier teardowns I've seen. The HDD is under the disc drive, and IIRC to take out the disc drive the PSU and mainboard are in the way and have to be removed along with the EMI shield (just going from memory.)

Wow, I wouldn't have figured you for the new wave positive energy sort To a degree that makes some sense except....for me...the opposite tends to be true. If I'm pessimistic about everything things tend to work just so the universe can mock me and prove me wrong. The moment - the MOMENT, I let my guard down and say something positive? It all comes crumbling down. (almost) never fails.

If I say "wow my XBox HDD has been working normally and hasn't been turning the light on, looks like it's finally fixed!" (not the case, just hypothetical, it's still broken on the one box) guaranteed that day I'll go home, and just as I'm going to bed I'll find it wont turn off- at all, and the next morning I'll find it overheated and burned out. OTOH if I say "it'll never work right, they completely broke it" by noon tomorrow they'll release a patch that fixes it. Just so I can be proven wrong.

There may be something to the whole positive energy thing. It's just that the laws of physics work differently within the NEStalgia karma distortion field.

Though Nintendo, as with all things, is always different, so anything Nintendo tends to work reverse for me, and the positive energy thing seems to work with them for me (and probably doesn't for everyone else )

The beeping PS4 though.....I tried to ignore it and hope it would fix itself....but it's definitely not fixing itself. It's beeping more and more. It should have been a bad omen when it arrived in a box with Ebay tape.....

EDIT: MKXI is pretty weird being on Nintendo, especially after the infamy of the original MK on Nintendo (though, green blood aside, it was the best running version...it's at least a series with Nintendo history (and infamy) from the beginning!

That's pretty cool. My fighting games (other than Smash) go where my Razer stick goes, and that's XBox, but, pretty cool all the same! Not my main series though so I'll wait for some great sale like I got X for $10 DoA 6 OTOH is already paid for. Back when I thought there was less jiggle and more clothing, though... Hard to take that game seriously next to Tekken and SC. You could say the kink sells it but, I thought they were trying to raise its status in the competitive scene.

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic