Forums

Topic: Xbox One/Xbox 360 Thread

Posts 4,921 to 4,940 of 5,234

DarthNocturnal

I think I've seen a few comparable tsunamis of text. Including one (not on this thread) from a user who wanted to use as many words as possible, just to get his single point across to me. The point in question could've been condensed into two words: “You're stupid“. Or at least, that's the vibe I was getting from it...

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

SuperGhirahim64

@NEStalgia doesn't it? It doesn't do anything for me anymore. I'm not into friend parties on Xbox live etc mainly because the talking ends up distracting from the actual game, and I hate if one becomes dictatory and basically tries to tell you how to play...

I think that's the best use of online actually, the co-op that doesn't have LAN. Friend leaderboards is another one. I dont mind online the odd time just for competition in smash or Mario kart, but for hours on end and to pay for it? Nah. I played A Link to the Past and Super Mario Galaxy 2 today, I'd much rather that experience than a forgettable online repeat fest.

Going on that, I might actually go for the 3DS version if I can get a good deal! It sounds like the sort of thing I would prefer on the go. A bit like Pokémon I guess.

Having read your comment @BlueOcean, im not sure now. If the gameplay and camera is fundamentally sucky, it probably isn't for me. I went back, like I said and played Mario Galaxy 2 today. It felt so awkward compared to Odyssey. I am really not keen on the control set up on Wii or Wii U for most games. I must look up reviews and comparisons on the 3DS versions before making a decision.

Online wise,
Monster Hunter sounds interesting although not sure I would ever get into it unfortunately. Sea of Thieves sounds good, Fortnite I hate the heart and soul of lol. Interesting to hear your experience though! I guess basically Nintendo don't offer those range of experiences that different players look for online.

I agree with Mario Kart 8 although I love 200cc. I just wish it had more records or online features with friends. Maybe like cups and grand prixs or something rather than just a ranking system.

Xbox Ones online system is definitely really well built. The highest standard available by some margin I would argue atm? Even if you're nicer online than here 😋

I think online, especially for Nintendo, needs to be reinvented. Most games are so pointless online like we discussed but it can be made rewarding. I liked the FIFA online seasons mode for example. But to spend the money on it each of them command isn't worth it for me at the moment, personally.

Edited on by SuperGhirahim64

Why choose from a range of great characters like Wario, Waluigi or Baby Luigi, when you have all green jelly Luigi and Toadette. Why have regular Toad and Toadette or another character when you can have a blue or yellow dressed Toad? 😵

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX lol I'll get to another text wall reply (i try to scale it back, i really do! ) another time but before that, for the remainder of the conversation, let's agree to agree that forward compatibility as i described as possible. The debate will be much smoother for the remaining points if we start it with the common assumption that technologically it's entirely feasible to have years of forward compatibility (we've already hashed the fact that it may it may not be possible cpu depending but let's agree for the remainder of the debate to assume it's entirely possible)

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Oh, no worries. We don't have to agree to agree, because I already agreed with you on the current gen Xboxen being possible streaming solutions for next gen, albeit that I don't see it as a long-running solution, as I already detailed more than elaborate enough in the previous comment. The S and X aren't going to ride the coattails of the (two?) Xbox Scarlett console(s) for the entire length of its generation.

That is just not feasible, isn't business sensible in the long run, and therefor isn't long-term profitable either. And as an X owner, would you want to downgrade to an S? More than likely not, so why would anyone want to play Scarlett games on an X, if they can get the full-blown experience by actually playing these games on a Scarlett? Seems like a relative no-brainer to me...

The overlay-period could be good for Xbox One S/X owners not really feeling the need to upgrade (yet), or for people on the fence, OR for people not interested in Scarlett games at all, for whatever reason. Could even be the same reason as to why some people currently aren't interested in an X, so if 4K isn't going to sway them now, then it might possibly still not sway them in two years either...

So, in closing: if you want me to completely agree with you, then all I would be willing and able to admit to, is that it's "entirely" possible on paper, but not in real life, and not in the long run.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs. Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: TheRealThanos

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX will my point was to argue the business case for it (medium to full term) we'd have to first agree to assume it's possible at all (streaming, it definitely is, and that would indeed be full term oif not infinite.... The streaming sum is all that matters there. They wouldn't care if you're using a 6 year old laptop so long as it runs win10.. The local forward compatibility we don't know yet if that'sa thing it not but for the business case debate we would need to start with the assumption it is, let it get derailed in confusion.)

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@Banjos_Backpack absolutely. I think the big problem, to me with online is, aside from the general toxicity of Internet dwellers (seriously would you want an audio version of the nl comments? That's online games ) is that it's mostly just an analog of sports. Team red wants to play with team blues ball! Yay! I'm not really fond of conventional team sports.... It bores me. If i liked it if probably not be a gamer . Yet online competitive games are in one way or another, more or less that.SoT isn't for me either but it's at least coop at heart and more interesting. Still less so for only2 players though. I wishi could loce SoT but it just doesn't click at all for me. I'm not a social gamer (even thoughi can't shut up here )

Blue isnt wrong about xc1 but hes a bit too harsh. The gameplay, if anything suffers by being to easy to just auto pilot through. It's not strong and tactical like ff or octo. It's a bit more finding out what works for you and doing it over and over. The open world is big but somewhat pointless to over explore. Keeping in mind its a, what, 2010 game goes a long way. Xeno everything back to xenosaga is a very rough diamonds, coarsely flawed and brilliant all at once. It's not as refined as more mainstream rpgs, but there's also nothing quite like it.

Otoh while xc2 gets combat way more interesting, it messes up by having rng pokeparty members and a Pokemon style hms. It's hard to describe xeno unless you've played xeno. Some hate it. Some love it. Some think1 was the best. Some think 1 was the worst. Only one person, evillucario thinks x was the best my own take is if you like rpgs, if you like games that don't always explain things to you, if you don't mind ignoring side quests with some really questionable design choices, there's a lot of fun to be had. And the story is the most interesting barrage of plot twist youll ever see in a game. But it's polarizing as a series. Either you'll love it it you'll hate it. There's no in between. Also if you try it, don't pass judgement until after the mines. Worst chapter of the game, in part because you're suck with sharla, the useless healer that makes battles drag on forever

NEStalgia

DarthNocturnal

@NEStalgia

SoT is at it's best with 3-4 players on a crew. Assuming you have a good crew. I don't recommended random matchmaking in it's current state. No filters based on progress.

SuperGhirahim64

@NEStalgia well I won't be buying Sea of Thieves anytime soon now anyway lol. Online annoys me most of the time. Like you say, the general toxicity of internet dwellers through the annoying medium that is their vocal chords. When I was on Xbox live, I always turned chat off. The fact you had to turn it off each time you were in a matchmaking situation was a tad annoying too. It sucks seeing younger people into Fortnite and the like, but they turn their nose up at things like Mario Odyssey, perhaps even Breath of the Wild etc. I could be wrong but I think for the reasons we have discussed about online gaming, they'll grown up, early 20s and quit gaming altogether. Their nostalgia won't be the same I feel, especially as servers go down and experiences can't be replicated, where as that isn't the case with Mario 64 or Breath of the Wild. It's a big reason why I think Xbox need to really do something and fast, especially in areas of gaming other than, what I describe as 'interactive movies' (rather than games).

There's nothing worse than children online either might I add. You know when some annoying person puts their child on the phone to say an extended hello and in that moment you weigh up whether to put your hand, the phone or both in the toaster, just to alleviate the pain? That's what that feels like. I would rather brush my teeth with a pumice stone smothered in talcum powder.

So yeah I get what you mean when you compare it to team sports, a thing I've fell out of love with in recent years as money envelopes corruption and quality decline within it. I always did prefer gaming 😋

Based on that description, I've a feeling Xenoblade isn't for me. Which is a pity, I've just upgraded my 3ds this week to a new 3ds XL after putting over 1000 hours into my original 3ds XL. The c stick is great in majora's mask but it's sad you can't utilise it in ocarina. Anyway. Banjo threeie for xbone anyone?

Why choose from a range of great characters like Wario, Waluigi or Baby Luigi, when you have all green jelly Luigi and Toadette. Why have regular Toad and Toadette or another character when you can have a blue or yellow dressed Toad? 😵

BlueOcean

@Banjos_Backpack Online chat can be annoying sometimes, I agree, I told one of my "friends" to shut up and he got mad but kept bothering and then I kicked him and blocked him from the party and then he removed me as friend... Stories like this are real with strangers or "friends" but what can you do, not everybody is as nice as us. Real life sucks sometimes, too. Based on what I know about you, you'd probably like Sea of Thieves, even using the text wheel instead of the voice chat like some people do. Sometimes I also like to just hear the game and not people talking. And yes, online on Xbox One is light years ahead of anything Nintendo.

You are a master of Mario Kart 8, to be honest I haven't tried 200cc much, so perhaps I should. I prefer older Mario Kart games though. I miss more content for single player and, as you said, online mode is bare-bones. And driving is boring compared to Double Dash!! and Super Mario Kart, my favourite entries.

Don't believe @NEStalgia, Xenoblade Chronicles is frustrating as hell. I forgot to mention the huge dynamic numbers for damage done and received for each party member and each enemy that overlap command prompts and enemies. It's a total mess. And, no, gameplay is not easy. Simple perhaps, but not easy, you die and it's not even your fault 90% of the times. The only way to compensate this is over-grinding in a game that already pesters you with grinding. He admitted that some combat styles are not properly explained. He mentioned "autopilot", which can be translated to "how stupid AI can ruin your battles" because you have to play with three characters and control one. I could go on and go on but I'd fall asleep. I haven't played X or 2 so I don't know if they are technically better, story aside.

Edited on by BlueOcean

BlueOcean

BlueOcean

NEStalgia wrote:

@Banjos_Backpack absolutely. I think the big problem, to me with online is, aside from the general toxicity of Internet dwellers (seriously would you want an audio version of the Nintendo Life comments?

This is the best thing you've ever written. I like Nintendo Life but I think I have over 20 ignored users. Some people here are nut.

NEStalgia wrote:

I'm not a social gamer even though I can't shut up here

Please stop. You are making sense now.

BlueOcean

SuperGhirahim64

@BlueOcean true, we are a rare breed of human kindness aren't we? 😎

It's good to hear a text wheel is in SoT. I'd definitely use that and like yourself, I like hearing the game, not some random bunch of people talking trash.

Single player is pretty light on Mario Kart alright, especially if you've to play 50cc first like on the Wii U. I'm pretty handy on Mario Kart. Mario Kart 7 was a great achievement to get 3 stars in each Grand Prix. There was a hidden rule system, including avoiding getting hit so many times each race even if you come first by many miles. It doesn't matter if you get hit by spiny shells and there's nothing you can do. I love competing online in Mario Kart. I have a special place for MK64 but MK8D - I couldn't ask for anymore. Id suggest they'll try the ultimate route with MK much like smash next entry.

Hmm, die and it's not your fault? Sounds like an injury claim line, and not one I'm fond of in real life or when I'm gaming. I will have to research but thank you both

So... Xbox... Lol

BlueOcean

DarthNocturnal wrote:

@NEStalgia

SoT is at it's best with 3-4 players on a crew. Assuming you have a good crew. I don't recommended random matchmaking in it's current state. No filters based on progress.

I disagree. Part of the magic is playing with people that have more or less experience than you. Experience doesn't really matter in this game. I prefer a good player who is new than an experience player who is not nice. The filter I have seen is I see that you are not legendary and I quit, but some legendary players have helped me a lot not asking for anything in return, that is nice.

When I played Monster Hunter Tri I was one of the best players because I played that game so much and I didn't mind helping other people that were a lower level, in that game level matters but also there was matchmaking by range of levels.

BlueOcean

BlueOcean

@Banjos_Backpack

Yes, it is hard, but I also got the 3 stars on all Mario Kart games on every cup (and mission), except 200cc in Mario Kart 8. I am proud of that and I haven't played 200cc much anyway. However playing online I realise I don't use all the shortcuts that people use.

I have to admit that Fortnite is full of children and teenagers, I ALWAYS feel like a big brother and have to say things like "behave", "watch your mouth", etc. I don't think I've ever played with someone over 16 on there, although I know they play, they probably pretend to not have a headset. The funny thing is that I only started playing because I became a friend of a Sea of Thieves player that invited me to play Fortnite and that was recently when the season 5 had already started.

So, Xbox... LOL

By the way, when are you going to get an Xbox One or Xbox Two for Rare Replay and company?

BlueOcean

SuperGhirahim64

@BlueOcean it's a tough feat. Like any Mario game, people don't realise how difficult the later stages actually are and they skill they require. Online doesn't seem to provide 200cc, it's always 150 or 100. The trick to 200cc is to prepare your turning extra early. Other than that it's just the same but faster, which I'm all for.

I tried Fortnite but I honestly found it boring. After having tried it, hearing every child ever talk about it, and sports people who I suspect are sponsored to mention it, make me cringe and put me more off it.

I doubt I will get an Xbox one (or two) until Rare release a decent single player game like their N64 titles. So we could be waiting a while! If I got a good deal on Xbox one X I'd go for it for SoT. I already have Rare Replay strangely. I got it for watching Xbox at E3 through some Microsoft stream. I have to get an X though. I've a HDR TV so there's not much point getting anything but it is there?

BlueOcean

@Banjos_Backpack So you have an HDR TV and a Rare Replay digital copy courtesy of Microsoft for watching E3 on Mixer... Oh, those things -and Sea of Thieves- are crying out for an X!

I also suspect that sports people and young actors are paid for mentioning Fortnite, because I can't believe they genuinely post on Twitter "I am going to play Fortnite at 20pm, join me!". Not that I use Twitter much but I have read that and it's a bit weird. However I like when they do the Fortnite dances because they are joyful and funny.

I will let you know how I deal with 200cc...

Edited on by BlueOcean

BlueOcean

SuperGhirahim64

@BlueOcean yep, that's the one. Just no Xbox one or sea of Thieves as of yet! 😎

I'd second your perspective there. At the world cup, even now, footballers are doing the dances from it. It screams sponsorship to me. the amount of them doing it, it must be. I even seen one footballer streaming Fortnite! 🤦

DarthNocturnal

@BlueOcean

“Good“ assumes both good teamwork and attitude. Although the latter can be hard to read when you don't use a headset.

I'm not against teaching and playing with new players (although I can't teach when I don't use a headset, and text chat still isn't in the XB1 version). But I consider it a rare, lucky occurrence when I can have fun and get stuff done with matchmade crews.

dew12333

I went EGX gameshow this week and was given two emblem codes for Destiny 2.

No use to me, does anyone want them?

dew12333

Dezzy

Damn, Forza Horizon 4 is sitting at 92 on metacritic. Even higher than the last one.

That series are the best exclusives Xbox has at the moment.

Converted from Sony to Nintendo during 7th gen and never looked back.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic