Forums

Topic: The everything Xbox thread

Posts 4,781 to 4,800 of 11,914

NEStalgia

@DarthNocturnal Oooh! New events/story? Neat! I played a little yesterday and then saw the update after. i'm in the first winter section now. Where did all the cars go? The roads are empty in winter I fear I'm going through the game too fast, I'm not sure if the stuff that unlocks the first cycle of seasons is everything that will unlock or not. That's great though!

@Tasuki Yeah it really is kind of a chill kind of game to play despite intense races.

@Thanosrexxx Hah, rjejr has to have the answers. I don't get it. I mean homework was a lot in the day. And I hear all the kids have these days and I don't think I could even keep up with it. I just picture all kids now live as Japanese Salarymen now with a 30 hour work day including extracurriculars. How on earth do they master games too!?

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia As they have always done, much like we also used to be able to when we were kids.
We just keep fooling ourselves that to this day, we still have that same level of energy and dedication, but in reality we absolutely don't...

For me personally, it has changed from: "as soon as my home work is done, I just HAVE to beat that high score" to it simply being a luxury hobby, that I indulge in, whenever I find the time or the appetite...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX I didn't have that energy or dedication back then either. I just had a boatload of time and no time spent on cooking, cleaning, and figuring out why my hard drives keep blinking. Amirite @rjejr?

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Well, I did, and so did a lot of my friends & class mates. Half of the discussions in school the next day, were about which one of us had the best high score in Pac-Man, Galaga or who got the furthest in that new Mario game...

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX Well, I mean video games were always the most important thing in life. That school thing could wait But somehow today's kids have more work, less, time, and manage to still put more into entertainment than we did.

Where did our lives go so wrong?

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@DarthNocturnal At least there was merit to bashing N64 vs PS1. In my day it was Nintendo versus Sega. Somehow Sega was the popular one, even though the sales show a remarkably different story

Of course before that was Atari but there was no console war there, they were at war with themselves.

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Probably from the moment that we actually could generate our own income to buy and play games from. For me, that was also the moment that my backlog sprung into existence...

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Duly noted...
I do have to make a minor correction, though: that is when my backlog started on consoles.
Long before that, I already had a backlog on my Commodore Amiga. Not that surprising, seeing as I could easily buy 40 or 50 3.5inch floppies for around 20-30 bucks, and take them to a software pirate, to put cracked games on. Pirates which, back then, could still freely place adverts in the local newspaper...

Ah.... those were the days...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Actually: no, I do NOT want a money tree. Well, at least not for games or consoles, seeing as we already established that we don't have enough time as it is, and that is with the already existing backlog included. By the time I'll get to Forza Horizon 4, all the seasons will either have disappeared or blended into one, not in real-time supported mish-mash of leftovers of those live events...

I would like a money tree for the other things in my life, though. The more important ones that also cost more and are more important and conducive to a happy and productive life...

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX I used to be a pirate like you, but then I took a troll's blunderbuss to the knee.

Well the money tree also buys time, which is the handy part
All we need is VR and then our lives will be bliss. The Zuck shall show us the way.

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Well, my Amiga games are a LONG way behind me. At some point, I even copied games myself, to share with others, but I never earned a dime. It was all friendly favors and so on.

But ever since console gaming arrived in my life in the shape of an N64, I've cleaned up my act. I had one last convulsion during the Wii era, mostly because it was SO easy to soft mod, and because it was such a great system to emulate all kinds of consoles and systems on.

But after that, it has only been all original games. Haven't even hacked my Wii U, even though that also has a Wii mode. Didn't feel the need to, seeing as I still got my Wii, so I don't need to soft mod a second one...

But I could potentially become a pirate once again, depending on the online/offline policies of Microsoft and their family of consoles. I do not want to become a victim of possible future disabled games on either the Xbox 360, Xbox One and/or Scarlett, so if that ultimately happens, then you can bet your @ss that I'll be looking for some unofficial way to reverse that evil process, and make my games playable once again, and to keep them playable, until such time that I don't feel like playing games anymore...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX Well the good news is you can buy an HDD and back up your installed games WITH the patches installed. So any game that doesn't have always-online DRM you can preserve them indefinitely if you have discs. For digital....I'm not sure if backups preserve your license file or not. That could be a more problematic thing for me in the future. I have to trust MS that they'll keep licensing going on indefinitely, and, given Windows and their commitment to letting you still activate XP installs, there's a fair chance of that.

Still I think there needs to be some international discussion on how licensing servers tied to specific companies that can go out of business are not an acceptable way to sell merchandise. At least make it some blockchain or something that doesn't depend on the company.

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Well, that's exactly what I meant with looking for ways to undo that evil process. It is all but sure that someone, somewhere (or rather: a whole bunch of people) is already gathering/archiving the necessary (license) files, to be able to use them on a soft- or hard-modded Xbox 360 or Xbox One.

On digiexDOTnet (which is quite the interesting community, by the way. I have a feeling you will feel right at home there... ), for example, there's already been an entire Xbox community, ever since the OG Xbox was hacked, and they support and teach people how to do all kinds of things to get more out of their Xboxes.

Ultimately, I believe it will be entirely possible to play all these potentially crippled games offline, by applying such hacked patches, for example through USB loading.

rjejr

@NEStalgia I've never had time, energy or dedication. I had a few beers, or a few beers too many depending on your point of view, but that was about it. JOUST is best played with drunk friends.

Someday we'll find it
The rainbow connection
The lovers, the dreamers and me

rjejr

@ThanosReXXX My kids have either too much homework or no homework, it's like there's no such thing as moderation. There's only 2 kinds of teachers, those who don't believe in homework, or those who believe in 2 hours a night. Though it was all good until 8th grade, elementary school was fine. @NEStalgia

Neither plays online games though, so either of you 2 would crush them online in anything. Lately they haven't been playing anything really. We own a PS4, PS3, Wii U and Switch, and they each own their own 3DS, but they can't find anything they like or the time to play. It's kinda sad really, I've spent a lot of money on those consoles.

Someday we'll find it
The rainbow connection
The lovers, the dreamers and me

NEStalgia

@rjejr Yeah that latter part sounds like what I expected of kids today: not enough time to play.

So who are these kids that know every trick from every youtuber for every game, and have spent 1500 hours on NG+++ in every Dark Souls game ever, who find it easy to get to S+99 in Splatoon and stay there and find it too easy and not requiring enough effort? On the internet, they appear to be everywhere!

My teachers back in the day were all homework fiends, but I hear of the things they give out today and I think I would have just thrown myself into a river if it were like that in my day.

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

redd214

@NEStalgia certainly is. Also includes a month of live and game pass. Not in the market for an X myself but it's a stellar deal. They have a few other X bundles similary priced as well with guess they're really trying to move X's this week. Perhaps lends some to @ThanosReXXX theory about maybe a hardware announcement at X018!

redd214

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic