Forums

Topic: The everything Xbox thread

Posts 4,801 to 4,820 of 11,903

rjejr

@NEStalgia Well all those Splatoon S+ are obviously Japanese school drop-outs, they're always on there. The rest are meth addicts who grew up watching Breaking Bad when they were 8 and 9 years old. But the really good ones are probably college students with a lot of Ds. There's plenty of time to play if you really want to until you have to live on your on around age 25. I actually played a ton in my early 30's, then I got married, and that was that. Though really buying a house was that, my wife was cool with me playing living in that 1 bedroom tiny rental, once we bought a 3 floor house with a yard though, well then it's all about home maintenance. And child rearing. But as long as your single living in a rental apartment, plenty of time to play.

Someday we'll find it
The rainbow connection
The lovers, the dreamers and me

NEStalgia

@redd214 Wow, that's surreal. Almost makes me wish I hadn't already ordered Fallout and RDR2, and just bought a spare X

Maybe, but I still think announcing hardware in 2018 before Christmas would be about as stupid as re-hiring Don Mattrick. I can't imagine they'd do that, while Sony is still running silent, unless they really were planning the iterative bi-annual hardware thing after all. Unless they're just announcing streaming hardware (which still sounds like a silly idea defeating the point of streaming to begin with.) And X still isn't even a year old yet. "Remember when we released the hyped 'most powerful console' about a year to the day ago? This year we're going to tell you how obsolete it is, lol!" seems like a bad pre-Black Friday move.

It might be a reaction to pretty anemic X1 numbers compared to PS4 after the month of Spiderman. Tie the two biggest multiplat games of the season into a too good to pass up bundle to win some fence sitters and converts. Either way, that's an incredibly amazing deal.

@rjejr Nah, you never see Japanese Splatoon 2 players. They don't want to play with us anymore Maybe the rest you're right about though. Aren't the college kids burdened with more work than can ever humanly be done with each class where the prof thinks their homework/project work is the only work in the world so there might as well be unlimited of it? I've never understood the "college kid with free time" stereotype. I've never seen it Maybe that's just my infamous bad luck again.

3 floors. Eeek, I thought you said it was a blue collar neighborhood! You keep the Lambo in the 4th garage bay, right? The one the boats aren't in?

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@rjejr Well, I think they'd still stand a fair chance: save for in a handful of games, I'm really not the best of online multi-players. But thanks anyway, for the positive over-estimation of my humble person...

@redd214 A white Xbox One X bundle? That would make Anti-Matter's day, except for the games in the bundle absolutely not being to his liking...

@rjejr @NEStalgia I'm beginning to think that "those kids" aren't kids at all. It's probably these Koreans/Asians for hire, that just sit in an internet café all day, getting paid by below-average European and American gamers to grind their characters up to acceptable or even invincible levels.

Maybe they've now extended their services into other gaming genres than just RPG's and MMO's...

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

rjejr

@NEStalgia Well technically it's only 1 floor, the basement doesn't count b/c it's a basement, but it's 2/3 carpeted w/ all my electronics and the kids toys, and the top floor is considered an attic even though it has my bedroom and my extra bedroom which is half office half walk in closet for my wife. But it is blue collar, but it's decently nice blue collar, I'm not living in the projects or section 8 housing.

I'll guess half of college kids study, half drink and play video games. Only 60% graduate in 6 years at 4 year schools, that leaves a lot of time for gaming.

https://www.collegeraptor.com/find-colleges/articles/college-...

Someday we'll find it
The rainbow connection

rjejr

@ThanosReXXX Maybe my kids can get jobs as professional cafe` gamers. Gotta be cheaper than paying for college.

Someday we'll find it
The rainbow connection

Banjo-

Hey, who else is excited about Resident Evil 2? I usually don't buy physical games anymore except a selected few including Resident Evil games. I can't decide if I'm getting the normal edition with Leon and Claire in the foreground and Raccoon City and some zombies in the background. It is a beautiful cover with Leon in blue and Claire in red. But then there is this steelbox edition (in Europe) which is elegant and black but the cover is a zombie's mouth... :S

By the way, US gets the Special Edition with really good costumes that are not crazy Japanese fetishes but make some sense in the RE universe (but are obviously anachronistic).

I can't make my mind up!

@NEStalgia The HDD is working as intended, the light is on because I have selected not to turn it off when I turn the console off. I touched it and it's not spinning because now the console is not downloading anything, it does spin and the light blinks when the console it's downloading anything.

Banjo-

Grumblevolcano

@redd214 Are we seeing anything similar on the PS4 front? If not we are probably in for a Scarlett reveal at X018.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

redd214

@Grumblevolcano only thing on ps4 side is a pro and a copy of RDR2 for $400 essentially making the game free. I believe I've seen it selling for 350 at a couple places in the last week or so. That's really it.

redd214

Banjo-

I think that we won't hear anything official about new Xbox consoles until next year.

Banjo-

ThanosReXXX

@rjejr Wonder what the missus would have to say about that, seeing as they would have to move to South Korea or another Asian country, and all that...

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

redd214

Well let's see how much more nuts these bundle can get.! The $460 bundles I mentioned before are now on pretty much every site including ebay. If you use the code "PICKUPTEN" you'll get an extra 10% off meaning you will get the console and 2 brand new AAA games for $414, black Friday is going to be silly if we're already seeing stuff like this lol!

EDIT: Code is only valid until tomorrow 5AM PT

Edited on by redd214

redd214

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX I would have said that I'm not sure paying anyone in Asia to grind your FPS characters is a good idea. But then CoD is #1 on the Japan charts this week.....you may be right

@rjejr Likely more employable long term, than a $200,000 piece of paper that says "I did busy work!"

@BlueOcean Ok, so yours is set to work that way. It's a little odd that it's not spinning, actually if that's the case, but I suppose your drive/enclosure idles in that state anyway, like mine do. Hopefully yours aren't randomly spinning up when you're not watching as well. You have to be a little OCD and see the light go on, or in your case, flash for a second here and there. I only noticed mine was starting that because it has a bright red secondary light for activity, and it's a loud drive so in a quiet room I'd hear it spin up since it sounds like an X360 fan.

Not a ResEvil or horror fan, myself. I'm fixating on RDR2 tomorrow, and '76 in a few weeks I worry about 76 mightily. But...can't....resist....

@Grumblevolcano I just can't imagine revealing replacement hardware right before the holiday, before the X is even one year old. It hasn't even had a proper holiday sales period yet. Last year was launch going mostly to preorders and anyone that got them in during the immediate restock period. That would be sales poison unless the X is forward compatible with Scarlett games after all (which is still possible, and if so, then yes, maybe I could see them revealing it.)

Who releases a most expensive-in-class product, and announces its replacement less than a year later before a full Christmas sale period, before the competition, and especially Sony, shows their hand? I'd have to call it XBox One 32X from then on. (of course if they do announce it and X is forward compatible with it, then expect that also means another new console in about 2 years or so and maybe every 2 years from then on - the original cell phone/PC model they hinted at.)

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX Hmmm New York, Seoul, New York, Seoul.

One of those places would be awesome to live in. One of them has terrible weather, an extreme cost of living, is ruled over by a corporate oligarchy and a rubber stamp government, and borders a geographic neighboring state known for it's authoritarian rule over an impoverished, desperate, and violent population with decaying infrastructure. The other one isn't near New Jersey at all.

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

BrainOfGrimlock

Agree with the consensus about not showing any new hardware this year - wouldn’t make any sense and it’d completely cannibalise any future sales for the One X/S.

Much more likely they’ll drop a hint they’re working on it now and then before doing a big ass reveal along with trailers for all the exclusives that the new studios are working on.

Where that leaves current owners in the meantime is open to interpretation, but I’d expect most games to work on both platforms but just be ‘better’ on the new one? Would tie in well with their backwards compat idea and one platform approach. If the new games compel people to buy an xbox they’ve got two tiers then, the lower (which would then be the ‘X’ & the new premium Xbox ‘Project Aardvark’.

Just conjecture and my thoughts in any case, naturally (probably) i’ll be completely wrong and not only will they show off the Aardvark, you’ll be able to buy it straight after the show!

BrainOfGrimlock

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia It's not all unicorns and rainbows, though: a couple of years back, I remember several instances of these so-called professional grinders literally playing themselves to death. Apparently, the pressure is so high for some of them, that they refuse to leave their seat, which ultimately leads to either dehydration or starvation.

One was even found still sitting in his chair, so perhaps @rjejr should think twice about suggesting his sons to take on that specific job...

ThanosReXXX

@BrainOfGrimlock Project Aardvark? How did you come by that one?
I'm glad Microsoft thought of a flashier one themselves: it's currently called Scarlett, which will of course not be the final name, or perhaps they will surprise us, and they will be the first to actually keep a code name as the final name of a new console.

If we look back at some of these code names on all the various consoles, then some of them were actually pretty cool, so if they would have kept those as final names, it wouldn't even be a bad thing.
I sure am glad that the Wii U never ended up with its code name, though...

Banjo-

Red Dead Redemption 2 runs at native 4K on X and it's the only version with smooth 30 fps all the time except in a single one cut-scene. The game struggles to run on every other platform including Pro that it's not native 4K but checkerboard.

All the other versions of the game (Xbox One S, PS4 and PS4 Pro) have performance issues in towns, battles, etc. running in the mid-20s.

A really impressive technical achievement on Xbox One X.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-red-de...

Banjo-

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX Yeah, it happens in Korea at times, but it's really become China that's more problematic for that. The Koreans dying at their seats I recall wasn't often from professional grinding but actual eSports play/practice. Not that it's much better, either way it's dying for money, but the one is dying for work and the other is dying for a passion so....I guess it's better? I mean eSports in Korea is pretty much MLB/NBA/NFL level professional franchising. We don't take it very seriously here, but they really do there. I've read stories about Korean pro eSports guys that went to Japan and were disgusted by the conditions of a bunch of guys living in one dormitory in the seedy part of town with substandard equipment and food not ready for them etc. In Japan it's just a hobby club and kind of ghetto, like here. In Korea it's a career. China's getting there, no doubt with some government "motivation" to be the best.

That said, I don't know about rjejr's kids, but I'm pretty certain you've just sold @rjejr on his new occupation.

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@BrainOfGrimlock We all thought the X would be forward compatible with the "X2/Scarlett/Aardvark/180/720whatever" based on a lot of things (and logic) MS said. But the E3 mentions of "Scarlett" have convinced Thanos and Blue here that X will simply be cut off with the other one's and Scarlett starts a new generation in the traditional sense.

Personally I still think there's a chance the X is forward compatible at least for a few years worth of games, but nothing is certain. I'm still thinking Microsoft will go the cell phone/PC type "new consoles of moderate upgrades every few years" rather than hard generations. It makes them a lot more flexible and keeps the "new console" cycle perpetual without the software woes associated. Whether X is included in that path though is confusing. They could easily "win the internet" or make bitter a lot of X customers depending on how they handle it. Or if they actually did announce a replacement 11.5 months after release, the XBox Done will end with the XBox 32X, and we can just buy Sony stocks in bulk and split the difference after 9th gen launch.

@Thanosrexxx I dunno, I kind of want to buy an Aardvark. It sits nicely with Jaguar and WonderSwan. And Cafe was an awesome codename. Better than "Wiiu(wiiuwiiuwiiuwiiu)", but not as bad as SuperWii. Of course Revolution became Wii which is quite a letdown. Of course XBox itself is really a code-name turned product name. It was just Project DirectX Box for the box that would take DirectX and put it in the living room. It wasn't actually supposed to remain the name, but it stuck so in the end they went with it.

@BlueOcean Oooh....that's exciting! I'm not among the "ZOMG GOAT, Best Game Evarr!!1!" crowd on this game. I'm just expecting a very good game and nothing revolutionizing gaming some are. But I'm pretty hyped regardless. Also a little sad that the game is running so poorly on most platforms. There's really no excuse for Rockstar to release a game dipping into the 20's on any of those platforms. Nice that the X saves the day from Rockstar's poor optimization, but shame on Rockstar.

NEStalgia

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic