Forums

Topic: The everything Xbox thread

Posts 4,761 to 4,780 of 11,903

NEStalgia

@DarthNocturnal I'm not sure if that sounds like an MMO or like Minecraft with boats I've never been an MMO fan, though they have some concepts that are appealing. I still do not understand Minecraft at all or how anybody plays it. I need objectives. The sandbox "do stuff" thing confuses me. I suppose I lack creativity

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@Grumblevolcano AoE3's "definitive edition" is whichever one sinks to the bottom of the ocean fastest. But I'll take 1&2!

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Not "sticking your ear into" HDD's, but holding your ear to the outer casing, smart@ss...

And I didn't really yank the drive out while it was running: the light was idle, so it wasn't doing anything.
I also specifically waited for it to get to that point before I gently disconnected it...

Anyway, I guess the only problem child left now, is you, so on with the Sherlock stuff...

Concerning the drives not shutting down immediately, or to be more exact: the officially licensed drives,
I still think that closing them down safely is a possibility. What you call housekeeping is what I call safely shutting them down, instead of abruptly ripping the power from them. The drive is apparently still busy doing something before it's able to shut down properly, so that's why I gave it the label that I did. Perhaps it's just spinning down, which would/could also explain the light burning steadily instead of flickering.

Either way, whatever it is or does, is probably for a good reason, and I would wager a bet that it's to the benefit of the drive, and ultimately, that's all that matters.

@NEStalgia @Grumblevolcano AoE? Is that a wild guess or is that what they actually mentioned?
Wouldn't mind a couple of those games appearing on the Xbox One. Still got most of them installed on my PC, because I sometimes feel like replaying them, or just doing a quick level.

Here's hoping that if they do come, it isn't those cheap looking smart device versions, though...

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

Grumblevolcano

@ThanosReXXX Guess based on the mouse + keyboard announcement.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

ThanosReXXX

@Grumblevolcano Ah, okay. So, nothing definitive yet, then. Support for mouse and keyboard could literally mean anything, and maybe even back-compatible functionality with games already available, such as Halo Wars and so on.

Guess we'll have to wait a few more weeks to find out what's what...

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

NEStalgia

@DarthNocturnal Well, I didn't hate AoE3....so long as I pretended I was playing Warcraft 3.....because that's basically what it was.... It's one of those games that was Microsofted in the Scalebound sense of the word. Ensemble was a gutted, smoking ruin by that point. If you ever wanted to see the real AOE3 look for an old PC game published by Sierra called Empire Earth. It was produced by Rick Goodman, the real AoE producer. It felt like the true spiritual successor of the real AoE rather than Age of Warcraft, but it was cool, it was like a mesh of AoE and Civilization where your little berry picking peasants start same as always but in the end you have nuclear submarines and carrier groups. Balance was kinda broken at times, but darned if it wasn't crazy fun. And was a lot more AoE than that weird pirate wannabe sequel.

Speaking of pirates...I gave SoT another try. I still have no idea what the heck is going on. The first time I spawn at the outpost with the bar....within 5 minutes before I even talk to all the shops I hear cannons. My ship is under fire in the dock from a galleon. I rush aboard and try to attack....get shot. Ship of the dead. So I respawn....this time on a totally different island. I'm near a surface cannon and bitten by snakes. Within 2 minutes another large ship pulls up and starts blowing away at my ship that I never made it to. I get to the cannon and hit his ship with like 10 shots......but not much happens. He tries to escape and runs aground on a sandbar sinking his ship. I run down the hill....only to see he stole my ship and it's sailing away. A skeleton comes with an explosive barrel and blows me up. Ship of the dead. I respawn on a ship this time. WIth a random as a crewmate. Then he pulls out a gun and kills me. Ship of the dead.

So three respawns in a row within a few minutes of each spawn, randoms just come by and destroy me. Remember I said I have bad luck?

I do the scuttle thing. This time I get a normal spawn with no insane trolls. I learn how to sail. I learn how to use the map. I land on a few islands but I'm not sure what to do...they're empty bits of sand and hordes of crazy skeletons. No treasure....I got a few message bottles.

I learned how to set a voyage! So I set sail for Rum Runners Cove or whatever it is. There's a find the treasure voyage there. I go there, and the whole place is littered with skeltons made of gold. THey shoot holes in my ship. It sinks. I hack and hack and hack and hack at them with a sword....I kill the first wave....but then a second wave spawns. I saw no treasure there or no way to know how to find it. Ship of the dead.

It's almost getting fun....and I want so much to love it because everything about the world screams that this as a game for me. And yet.....I can't figure out any way to make this gameplay loop fun. Impossible to defeat skeletons, internet trolls, and still not a single gold coin to my name as I've yet to figure out how to find any....I love the sailing and the art, but I have no idea what to do or how to make it fun. I learned how to play a little more only to find I'm underpowered and flat broke

@ThanosReXXX LOL yeah. I did confirm that it's not spinning up the drive when the light goes on on the new licensed drive. Unhappy to have to abandon my very expensive drives, but it does bandaid the problem in a non-burnout-my-hardware way. So for now, good enough until they hopefully fix it. I laid on the ground, ear to my conch HDD for like half an hour to ensure that.

The light staying on longer, nah, it wasn't ripping power out before (not on externally powered drives.) Not sure what it is doing now but it's not related to safely shutting it down, that's a single power state command, the HDD takes care of the rest. It's doing "something"....it's not related to the problem as #2 that's been behaving also does it. It's just a change about something the system is doing on shutdown. Might not even involve the HDD specifically but rather that the XBox itself doesn't actually enter the "ok I'm done" state right when the console's light goes out anymore. Not related ot the other problem just an observation that they changed quite a bit about what happens during power state change now.

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia What with all this lying on the ground and listening to sounds and rumblings, I now kinda have this vision of you as some nerdy, OCD cowboy putting his ear to the ground, to hear if the next train is about to arrive.

Or currently perhaps, in your case, a pirate ship...

ThanosReXXX

An interesting comment from Microsoft concerning the upcoming X018 event:

"We will live stream all the X018 action on our biggest Inside Xbox episode yet so fans all around the world can participate online."

Whether you’ve been with us for years, months, weeks, or you’re still considering joining our global community, this is a moment where all of us come together."

Rumors are actually starting to grow that we might just get a little bit of info on X2/Scarlett...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX C'mon, what do you take me for? Cowboy role-play doesn't begin until Friday..............

I do expect X2 stuff since they opened that can of worms at E3, but I don't think that statement is particularly hinting to anything. They've just been emphasizing big for the theme of the year, and seem to be turning this X018 thing into a similar thing Sony Experience has done in the past (which I never even knew was a thing until the past year. I just wait for E3 ) I just think this year, regardless of X2 stuff or not, they just have a lot more going on than they've had in years in terms of actual games, enhancements, services, etc.

We can bet they'll be talking about the streaming service since that's an official announcement now, unlike "Scarlett" that's still nod-and-wink phase so it's more iffy what they are or aren't going to talk about with that. Watching the AC: Odyssey streaming on Switch has filled me with.......what's the opposite of determination?

@DarthNocturnal Yeah, at least you guys see what I mean about luck now I literally just walked the outpost island checking out the vendors for a few minutes, and boom, the ship's gone. That was pretty bad to begin with but for it to happen again on the next island..... and then spawn on a ship with a random who kills me after that. Triple the trouble

Definitely a gold hoarder voyage (well there's three. yellow, purple, and I forget the other. I did yellow. I figured finding treasure was the safest way to start. And yeah, the island was FULL of gold skeletons. Definitely not a fort or ghost ship. Just Rum Runner Isle. Not a big place at all....and yeah I had to mash trigger like crazy. And eat a few bananas.

Good info about buckets. Of course I was also out of ammo.....and...my ship sank...so no way to get more It doesn't seem like you carry much ammo on you?

I still can't figure out how my ship sunk I arrived on the island and went to check the map room and found it flooded. There were two holes to patch and I'm not sure how they occurred. I patched them though and also figured out how to bail the water out.... that's funny. So I left the ship and it was fine. I was playing coop with someone and was told the ship was sinking....sure enough I got back to find it half underwater. I'm not sure how it was taking on more water, but I anchored near shore, and the golds were shooting at me as I retreated, so i'm guessing their blunderbuss shots were hitting the hull. There weren't any cannons on that island for them to be using against me.

The big question still remains: I still have $0. I don't know how to actually get treasure! I thought that trip would do it, but I found no loot, one message bottle, and a bunch of gold skeletons with explosives and guns. How do you find treasure to make money (to buy more voyages?)

NEStalgia

redd214

@ThanosReXXX would be great to hear a bit about next gen hardware. Hopefully more info about the X cloud service too. Can't wait, seems like it's going to be a great showing!

redd214

ThanosReXXX

NEStalgia wrote:

Watching the AC: Odyssey streaming on Switch has filled me with.......what's the opposite of determination?

Indecisiveness, hesitation?

Speaking of hesitation: reading about your misfortunes in Sea of Thieves has most definitely made me hesitate to dive into that one. It really sounds like my own misfortunes playing online Call of Duty battles with strangers: getting shot 10 to 12 times, even immediately after respawning, within the space of probably less than five minutes, and similar entertaining experiences REALLY put me off from ever doing that again, so nowadays, I only play online with people that I actually know...

As for that Microsoft statement: it's a first for me, seeing them (apparently) make such a thing of an Inside Xbox stream, so if they say BIGGEST, then I'm truly expecting quite the reveal, and not just a normal video...

@redd214 Yup, could be nice. I hope they don't show their cards too soon, though. Wouldn't want Sony to get the upper hand on them. They now have the hardware advantage in this generation, would be nice if they would be able to keep that advantage and build upon it, also with a better software catalog.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

ThanosReXXX

@DarthNocturnal Haha, no worries, I've already left online anonymous battles years ago, ever since COD 4.
I do still wonder about it sometimes, how people knew these respawn locations. I wasn't exaggerating when
I said that I was literally shot the moment I respawned somewhere. It's supposed to be random, so how can anyone know?

But that's about the only thing I wonder about, and it most certainly isn't enough to warrant giving it another go any time soon...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX Inside XBox: Maybe. I don't think they're going to be doing any truly big hardware reveals/announcements this early, and Sony's till tight-lipped about the 5. I would think MS has learned never to let Sony get the last word if you can help it. They pulled the X out of nowhere and made the Pro announcement look like a joke. It worked well. I'm sure they're going to be tighter lipped in the future, Nintendo style. Personally I'm not expecting that front to move much until E3 at earliest. Plus who talks replacement hardware right before the Christmas rush when you're trying to move current hardware? They'll mention it and keep it in the buzz, but I'm not expecting to really know much more than we know.

It's a big event because they're finally in the conversation at all, have a bunch of games and studios to talk about, have features and services, plus the streaming service. It was the biggest XBox E3 too, remember, but both streaming and "new hardware" got kind of a brush off and the games was the center-point. Maybe they'll do that rumored Elite v2? That would be big-ish. The prototypes were leaked ages ago. My luck: Official HDDs will be halved in price.

SoT: Haha, yeah... I hear you. It's a shame, when I fire it up and hear the music and look at the world I can't help but smile, it's all so inviting. And then I play and get trolls and misfortunes from the start and I remember why online anything sucks. I'm equally worried about FO76 for the same reasons. That's just not fun spawning like that.

@DarthNocturnal Ahhh, that explains it. But then, how did he find me at the other island I spawned at so fast?

Hmm, you might be right about the island. It was awful there was a swarm of like 8 golds. Then I finally got them all after butchering my trigger. And then I go to the barrels, and another swarm unearthed. it took like 30 blows of the sword to take them down and with only 5 bullets...how exactly do you manage that?

I was on a brig. Hmm so maybe I didn't plug all the holes when I left. I though the skeletons shot through but if they didn't it must still have been leaking. DARN, If that hadn't happened I could have taken the golds! I did clear the water to the floor....I didn't see more leaking. But if pistols don't damage it....it must have been leaking still.

Hmm so I have to do that darned quest to get some loot. I'll give it another try then. I guess. I think I'll opt for something sane: Wildlands today though After the blunderbusses and swords I think I just need to chill with a precision rifle and air support.

@ThanosRexxx When it comes to online games I often wonder how people seem to know how to exploit so much about the games. Trouble with online games is you're playing against some people who do absolutely nothing else with their lives but play that game. You'll never be able to match them, so it bleeds the fun out.

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@DarthNocturnal From what I've understood back then, there were at least 10 respawn locations, even on the smallest map, so seeing as someone can't be in 10 places at the same time, even in a game, I would then have to assume, that the other players were either all working together, or were each posting one or two fixed locations for respawners. The former possibility would kind of defeat the whole purpose of online multiplayer, considering it should be about something other than camping in one location, and killing the same people over and over again...

Then again: campers were a thing back then, so that could actually be it, come to think of it...

Luckily, actions have been taken since to prevent most of these "stakeout artists" from spoiling the game for more civilized players, but by then, it was already too late for me, so I quit before that ever became a thing...

@NEStalgia I never said they were going to do a big hardware reveal, I just said that they themselves have officially stated that this is going to be the biggest Inside Xbox stream ever, which simply prompted me to say that if that is the case, then I would most certainly expect to see something being revealed, that can qualify as such. What that will be, software or hardware, is anyone's guess, really...

On a side-note: I don't think that a controller reveal would fall into 'the biggest ever' category, so that's a definite no for me.

As for not getting to know more than we know now: we don't know anything right now, other than a rumor that Scarlett is supposedly going to offer two formats, one being a streaming box and one being a full-on console, and the only factual thing we know, is that Phil Spencer has assured us, that the next Xbox is once again going to be an absolute powerhouse, but that is about all we know, so even the smallest mention of any additional information, is already going to let us know more than we do now.

Agreed on the fun being bled out of online gaming. Even some of my friends can get under my skin at times, but only to a certain degree, and they know when enough is enough and when it's not funny anymore, but those acne-ridden teens that don't have any other life than school and online gaming don't have such morals and values, much less any understanding of also allowing other people to enjoy the game. They are all about the egotistical, instant gratification of the individual.

It's almost like they also do homework concerning these games, once they've finished their ACTUAL homework...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

NEStalgia

@DarthNocturnal Yeah I read about that system. It's interesting. I still worry about the game, but I can't resist coop fallout. I had hoped TES:O would be kind of coop TES...but it's kind of....eh.

Yeah, seems like two crews...but....what are the odds in the same game that two islands have someone ready to attack me instantly?

The only thing worse than being attacked by random strangers is having to try to cooperate with them

Yeah, i'll be more prone to use cannons now. Of course that involves not sinking my ship, so there's that.

@ThanosReXXX Yeah, spanwcamps back in the Quake days kind of turned me off from multiplayer. Then Splatoon happened...and the spawn camping was real. I missed playing with Japanese players....this weekend's splatfest was such a return to form for fun, varied, sportsman-like play rather than the all Western "most efficient route to fictory: Everyone use a meta-weapon and follow the top 5 youtuber's strategies to the letter!" You actually see dynamos appear.

My interpretation of biggest ever means the total scope and scale and breadth of all the stuff going on, not so much specific big moments. Not that things won't be revealed, I'm just interpreting it to mean "we have a whole bunch to cover all at once" I expect Crackdown 3 will finally make a real showing. That's something right there. And maybe more details on Infinite....since we know nothing and part of me worries it's a "shared world" from what we saw. The controller reveal could be a big part of it though, new hardware and all right before the holidays. And if the prototypes were real it's an amazing controller (adjustable tension!) No, I don't think it's really happening. But it could

Online gaming: sigh heck, even when I was a kid with no life but school and gaming I didn't have enough time to delve so deep into it as these kids (then again we didn't have online gaming... ). I mean I swear I've heard that schools pile even more homework on kids now than they did back in my day and that between that and their hundred after school activitites they don't even have time to eat....so I'll never know how they seem to have career-like depth of knowledge into these games. (yells at cloud from rocking chair)

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@DarthNocturnal Flukes are just how I roll.

Ohh that would be cool. I can't believe it took them this long to figure that out though. I mean any game that drops you into it with no instruction etc....I mean maybe it's Dark Souls inspired. In fact, it probably is, seems like everything is Dark Souls inspired, even Destiny is apparently somehow Dark Souls inspired, though I don't see it. Heck, even Dark Souls has more tutorial than SoT!

NEStalgia

DarkRula

It should have been like Elite: Dangerous, where the tutorial was a separate option on the starting menu that you could jump into if you were struggling. I only ever had to use that tutorial once to figure out how travelling between systems worked, but with Sea of Thieves I feel that having such a feature in place would have alerted me sooner to how certain things worked if I ever needed it.

For me, the worst for online has to be GTA's freeroam. Nothing infuriates more than someone who blows you up just because you could have been a threat. Even though you're clearly not aiming directly for them or making any move to get to them.

DarkRula

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3513-2745 | Nintendo Network ID: DarkRula

NEStalgia

@DarkRula sigh Elite: Dangerous. I STILL can not dock the stupid ship in the docking tutorial. I am Error.

NEStalgia

Tasuki

So everywhere that I have been reading says that alot of things unlock in Forza Horizon 4 when you get to Autumn, is this true?

Still having alot of fun with this game though I don't play it as much as I should or would like. This has become my relax at the end of the day game cause for some reason I find this game relaxing lol.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Well, in case you didn't notice: then we mean the exact same thing: I just interpreted "biggest ever" as a presentation where they actually show some more high profile stuff, or at least more stuff than in their usual Inside Xbox broadcasts/webcasts. Whether that's hardware or software, is secondary...

P.S.

If you really wanna know how much homework kids have these days, and how they STILL manage to kick the crap out of us in online gaming, just ask @rjejr...

@Tasuki I suppose the relaxing part of any Forza Horizon game is the open world environment, and that the game only offers you options, instead of forcing them upon you. So, if you want, you can cruise around the entire map for hours on end, without ever having to participate in any event. That alone already sounds quite relaxing to me, and I also agree with you that it actually is.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic