Forums

Topic: General Final Fantasy Thread

Posts 521 to 540 of 541

ReaderRagfish

I had Blue Rescue Team and wasn't a big fan. Just sort of felt like the mechanics weren't quite as refined and balanced as I like.

Still waiting for Atlus to make Snowboard Kids 3

jhewitt3476

I'm looking forward to Tactics and 9 myself, I'll get 7 eventually, and if they re-released the original Chocobo's Dungeon I would like that too

just please don't baby-fy them like with 15, that is so stupid
I remember the original FF, why I loved it was it had enough of a character customization balanced with a decent story and gameplay mechanics and the visual to make it fun for those familiar to RPGs and those who had never experienced one, it was fun but intelligent, there wasn't just plain old hit button A and wait, there actually a level of customization with weapons, armor and accessories, but also spell choices, there were four available spells per lvl, but only three slots and once you got that spell, you were stuck with it for the rest of the game, so you had to put long term strategy Into it, then actual battle strategy,

it set a bar for other RPGs from there on, even though many games have evolved, I still love and respect the older games that inspired the games we love today

"If failure is the greatest teacher, how come we are not the most superior beings in the universe ???"

Yosheel

@ReaderRagfish the first ones were rather rough around the corners. You couldn’t even have a set team, you had to go put a team together before every expedition.

The sequels were better polished.

Yeah I don’t know either.

Eh! My gameplay videos

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1330-0080 | My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Dezzy

@jhewitt3476

Tactics hasn't been announced for any ports.

Converted from Sony to Nintendo during 7th gen and never looked back.

DarthNocturnal

Given Square's track record, Tactics probably isn't too far off from getting a port to... well, everything.

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

Dezzy

@DarthNocturnal

It's still not on Steam. I don't think it's a particularly big seller.

DarthNocturnal

@Dezzy

We only just got Chrono Trigger, what, late last year/ early this year? Give it time.

It also has 100k downloads (which, I would think would equate to purchases) on Google Play Store (and it's on iOS, last I checked). Keep in mind that it's a rather “expensive“ game in an environment where most games are free or cheap. On other platforms? Yeah, it'd probably do just as well, if not better.

Edited on by DarthNocturnal

Anti-Matter

DarthNocturnal wrote:

Given Square's track record, Tactics probably isn't too far off from getting a port to... well, everything.

SquareEnix better make it a Trilogy.
FF Tactics + FF Tactics Advance + FF Tactics A2 in One cartridge, with 2D Graphic improvements.

My Top 5 games :
1. Dance Dance Revolution series (10 / 10)
2. The Sims series (9 / 10)
3. Portal Knights Switch (9 / 10)
4. Animal Crossing New Leaf 3DS (9 / 10)
5. ARMS (8 / 10)

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608

PikPi

I love how well hidden the dungeons can be in Ff15. I'm trying to explore the world organically and it's always fun to Stumble upon a royal tomb or other cave.

Also the gameplay of episode gladiolus was very fun

PikPi

Anti-Matter

@jhewitt3476
But FF Tactics PS1 was Already Chibi style.
Well, Not Baby version as FF XV Pocket Edition.

My Top 5 games :
1. Dance Dance Revolution series (10 / 10)
2. The Sims series (9 / 10)
3. Portal Knights Switch (9 / 10)
4. Animal Crossing New Leaf 3DS (9 / 10)
5. ARMS (8 / 10)

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608

Trajan

I've been playing Legends 2 on my biverted and backlit DMG off an on the past few days.

"Although PS2 was a sales success because it had a DVD player function, it troubled me that we had moved to a hardware where the sole function wasn’t playing games,” - Satoru Iwata

MONOLITHSOFT and Rareware (SNES-GC) fanboy

Dezzy

@PikPi

Yes that was something the game did brilliantly in my opinion. The world design in general was very good but the dungeons especially were. They not only feel very organic but they're all completely different from one another. I think Steyliff Grove and Costelmark Tower are the only ones that feel kinda the same.

I also love how you can easily miss a whole series of cool locations if you just don't explore. They really don't signpost the cool locations at all. The only obvious ones are those that you can see from the road like Ravatogh and Costelmark.

But a dungeon like Crestholm Channels, which is one of the most interesting, is probably gonna elude about 80% of players, unless they end up getting to the quest from Cindy later in the game where she signposts it with a questmarker.

PikPi

I'm further in now, played through Episode Ignis and just started Prompto. Never would I ever have imagined the way Ignis' story during Altissia played out. Not only that, but the gameplay was extremely fun to play with.

The story, though, outshines all the others, I feel. Just seeing more of Ravus, getting more concrete details about why the characters acted as they were without needing to read up on lore outside the game was very evocative of the Final Fantasies of old, where the cutscenes felt worthwhile.

Oh, and the alternate path to his story is exactly what I thought was gonna be released as the alternate ending next year, so now I'm not sure what to expect short of certain events being completely undone.

But yeah, I find Ignis to be the most badass of the group, now. I'm sure Prompto's story will be good as well, but more for the explanation of what he did in his absence as well as a more clearly stated version of his back story.

And now that I understand the villain much more, I really feel bad for him. He really did get screwed over by everyone around him. Still a jerk, but understandably so, and I think that makes him one of the best FF villains to date, in my opinion. Just wish they did more with him in the end.

All this being said, it's still clear that this isn't the game they originally envisioned. Playing through the game again, I can still feel the patchwork that went into trying to get the game out once and for all. Like even just looking at the geography of the empire and Altissia on the map, it seemed like they wanted us to be able to explore the entire map, otherwise why would they bother with some of the more pointless geographical locations such as Cortina(don't remember the spelling), which seemed like it had a sizable city to go through with roads in it, and of course both Insomnia and Gralea being these huge metropolitan hubs that we're quickly corralled through.

EDIT: Also, the Regalia Monster Truck is a god send. Even if the simplest tree can bring you to a halt. I love not having to follow just the roads now, especially for the more tedious hunts.

Edited on by PikPi

PikPi

Dezzy

@PikPi

Yep, episode Ignis is easily one of the best parts of the game. It's a crime that it wasn't part of the original launch version of the game.

The 4chan leaks (that correctly described the entire game's plot 6 months before launch) did talk about the cut areas from the game.
They said that the original plan was for Cartanica to be explorable on the Niflheim continent (I assume that's what you mean by Cortina). It was never going to be the whole continent though. It was going to be Cartanica and all of the surrounding desert-like area was explorable with the car/chocobos then it was going to be on-rails to Tenebrae. Tenebrae would be explorable and then it would be on-rails again to Gralea.
We have good reason to think this is all true. Not only were these leaks correct about everything else, but the boundary breaks have shown that Cartanica IS almost entirely designed in high-detail (that you'd never find for something intended to be background decoration only). Also, the old mine you visit and fight the Malboro is noway near the actual train tracks on the map. In the game, it's implied that it's at the bottom of the elevator from the train. But if you look at the map in detail, it's actually quite a way off. Probably about a 10 minute walk. This suggests that the explorable map was cut at the last minute (otherwise they would've just moved the mine to be at the bottom of the elevator, as it's implied to be).

I'm fairly confident SOME of these problems will be addressed in the next DLC. I'm hoping even if they don't patch all of these areas into the main game, they'll at least be explorable in the DLC. One reason to think they might patch it in though is that they made the boat controllable in the royal edition, despite it being fairly pointless in the current game. That immediately made me think that they might be planning to allow you to sail to the Niflheim continent in a future patch.

Edited on by Dezzy

PikPi

@Dezzy haha thanks for correcting the spelling. Yeah the whole city seemed way too detailed to just be a background setting. It'll be interesting to see how they reincorporate it back into the story next year. As it is though, I can finally say it feels like a full final fantasy game. If I had to have picked one thing that I think they should have kept in, regardless of how long it would have taken, would be Ingis' role in the plot.

Edited on by PikPi

PikPi

Dezzy

@PikPi

I don't know how likely it is that we'll get the Cartanica part made explorable. I think far more likely is that we'll get explorable Tenebrae because that has more story relevance. We know Aranea was there in the game and Luna was there prior to the events of the game. That's also a location they'd designed in quite a lot of detail, as you can see in the various trailers and in the boundary breaks.

Ardyn will have spent a lot of time in Niflheim as well. They said his DLC will involve his clashing with the Astrals and we know the confrontation with Shiva happened in Niflheim.
I dunno what they'll do with that DLC though. It'll be weird to actually control the villain. I kinda hope it's just a series of cutscenes that you maybe unlock in the late-game somehow. That'd work.

Yosheel

No. They'll force a knife in your hand and make you slay Shiva.

Eh! My gameplay videos

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1330-0080 | My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Dezzy

@Yosheel

A knife? Did you notice how big she was?

Yosheel

This is final fantasy.

A knife can be as big and/or powerful as it wants to be.

Eh! My gameplay videos

DarthNocturnal

Yosheel wrote:

This is final fantasy.

A knife can be as big and/or powerful as it wants to be.

See; Tonberry.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic