Forums

Topic: The Switch Recommendations Thread

Posts 621 to 640 of 2,207

bluemage1989

Can anyone recommend a good indie title that I can get a fifty hours or so out off?? Looking for something substantial I can be really into for a few weeks. Know that's hard as everyone's different in ability and interest. Good story would be a bonus and not to fussed on genre.

bluemage1989

Xyphon22

@bluemage1989 I'm still playing it, but Hollow Knight seems to be pretty big. I think I've played around 15-20 hours and I know there is still a lot to do. I wouldn't play it for the story though. I know they are trying to tell one through the NPCs and statutes you find and things, but I honestly have no idea what it is. I am basically just running around doing stuff for no apparent reason, but it's still fun. It has gotten quite depressing, though. I can't play it for very long in one sitting anymore because the atmosphere just gets me down.

Xyphon22

3DS Friend Code: 5069-3937-8083

Coach_A

@bluemage1989
If you want a story game, I can't think of one that will get you 50 hours of play time, however the Indies I can recommend are Rocket League (only if you want to play online), Golf Story, Celeste, SteamWorld Dig (1 or 2 although 1 is shorter), Retro City Rampage and I've heard very good things about Dead Cells. Bought it about a week after release on the recommendation from a guy next to me in Walmart who said he'd put 150 hours into it. Am yet to play it though as I'm overseas.

Coach_A

AndyD

Shining Resonance, Labyrinth of Refrain, or Lost Child? I can't decide which one I want. Any thoughts? Also, is the Scribblenauts bundle that just released worth the cost?

SW-3806-8055-1317
DIY Needs list
My ever growing backlog
Switch:Minecraft Dungeons,Borderlands 2,ACNH

Nintendo Network ID: devineministry

Krull

@bluemage1989 If it's not too late, I'll second Hollow Knight. I'm done with it now, but it was a good, nae excellent, 60 hours. Otherwise, there's Stardew Valley and all the obvious roguelikes: Dead Cells, Binding of Isaac, Enter the Gungeon, etc. Fifty or sixty hours is a big ask of most indies, otherwise.

Switch ID: 5948-6652-1589
3DS ID: 2492-5142-7789

OveDue

bluemage1989 wrote:

Can anyone recommend a good indie title that I can get a fifty hours or so out off?? Looking for something substantial I can be really into for a few weeks. Know that's hard as everyone's different in ability and interest. Good story would be a bonus and not to fussed on genre.

Hollow Knight. GOTY so far for me. I've beaten the final boss but still playing it at 55 hours.

OveDue

Switch Friend Code: SW-5604-0692-3514 | Nintendo Network ID: OveDue

bluemage1989

Thanks for the tips. I'll likely pass on Dead Cells and Hollow Knight as I'm a bit burnt out on Metroidvanias but Enter the Gungeon looks cool. I'd never read much about it but having looked into it it sounds good. A good story in a 59 hour game is rare but story would be a bonus in this case for me. Has anyone played Wasteland yet?? Celeste looks good also. Never went much on the first SteamWorld Dig so I'm guessing I wouldn't be changed with the second??

bluemage1989

RR529

@scubydo, haven't played Labyrinth of Refrain or the Lost Child, but I'm currently nearing the end of Shining Resonance.

It's a decent game, but I think it's ambition outweighs it's budget. Gameplay is pretty standard ARPG fare, though it's good fun transforming into a dragon (best saved for troublesome bosses, though). Graphically it looks really nice even in portable mode (and runs smoothly in both modes too), and character models are very nicely detailed. However, it's not as ambitious as something like Xenoblade 2 or YS VIII in terms of world building, and there effectively haven't been any dungeons in the main story as of yet (both overworld regions and dungeons consist of 2-4 areas, the only difference between the two seems to be that each area of an overworld region has it's own white node on the world map, while the entirety of a dungeon is represented by one red node, despite their areas being roughly the same size. There aren't any light puzzles or other gameplay differences in the dungeons compared to the overworld, and you're just as likely to face off against bosses in the overworld, so until I noticed the discrepancies between how they're handled on the world map, I didn't even realize they were supposed to be dungeons). Also, there are very few animated cutscenes, with most of the lengthy story sections playing out like a visual novel (just with the in-game character models instead of static character portraits looking back at you).

Interestingly enough, there ARE actual dungeons in the game, but they're optional endeavors just there for grinding. They are randomly generated, and are accessed by speaking to a certain NPC in town (or at one of the many camps in the overworld) rather than being a natural part of the world. Their difficulty scales to your current level, and using certain items you can mold them in various ways (increase or decrease overall difficulty level, add extra floors, specify certain monster types to appear, and other anomalies). Three of your options have the exact same ruins aesthetic (just with pallet swapped colors, that have monsters of the corresponding element), while the other two are more visually interesting high school & tropical resort themes (these two were likely DLC in the original PS3 release).

It's a decent game, but if you haven't played through all of the more popular RPGs on the system (XC2, YS VIII, Octopath, Torna, and maybe even Dragon Quest Builders, though I haven't heard much on that one) you might want to do that first.

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Guiltygear

@Switchcraft I would like to recommend iconoclast, a pixelish metroidvania with deff alot more charm then the Messenger. NL gives it a 9!

Guiltygear

Tiefseemiez

@bluemage1989
I'd recommend Don't Starve, which is a roguelike survival adventure. You do a lot of crafting and exploring and I played it SO much und PC. Got the Switch version aswell, which is a much better port than the Wii U one was.
Also Stardew Valley, if you like games like that. I was bored by Harvest Moon a whole lot albeit its appeal. This is so much more than a farming sim though! You can also explore dungeons, which is a lot of fun.

Never want to come down, never want to put my feet back down on the ground.

Bevinator

bluemage1989 wrote:

I’ve put 100 hours into tiny metal. If you are into turn based strategy games I can definitely recommend it. It’s very similar to advance wars

Edited on by Bevinator

they say that life’s a carousel, spinning fast you’ve got to ride it well. The world is full of kings and queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams. It’s heaven and hell.

My Nintendo: Bevinator

UrsaBear

At the beginning of next year (2019) I will be buying a nintendo switch.
But I only have enough money for 1 or 2 games. I think I'll be going for one single player game and one multiplayer.
So I would like to ask you for suggestions on this matter.

UrsaBear

Scrummer

@UrsaBear For single-player, I would say either Mario Odyssey or Breath of the Wild. Whichever one appeals more to you. For multi-player, if you want local, maybe check out Super Mario Party or Mario Kart, but if you want specifically online, I'd say go with Splatoon 2.

Scrummer

Switch Friend Code: SW-7938-1793-3581 | My Nintendo: Scrummer

gcunit

@UrsaBear The two games I would personally recommend as the first two essential Switch purchases are Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Breath of the Wild.

But depending on your taste, you may want to get ARMS, Smash Ultimate, or Splatoon 2 instead of MK8D.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Krull

@UrsaBear I have to agree with several others here. For single-player, I would say Zelda: Breath of the Wild. For my money, it's still the best game to the hit the Switch. If you don't like exploration, action, adventure and bite-sized puzzles, but prefer a 3D platformer, then Super Mario Odyssey. If you prefer over-the-top, needlessly finicky RPGs, then Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is wonderful (but I'd still pick Zelda first!).

I don't think I've played a better online multiplayer game than Splatoon 2, but I don't do much online gaming. Alternatives would be (presumably) Smash Bros or Mario Kart 8, or one of the sports games (Fifa 19 or NBA 2K19) - but the sports games run better on other platforms.

Switch ID: 5948-6652-1589
3DS ID: 2492-5142-7789

Anti-Matter

Who have played Dragon Quest Builder for Switch ?
Is there any Long Ranged weapons i can use on that game (Bow, Magical staff, Cross bow, etc) ?
And how many worlds i can play & customize the worlds ?

Anti-Matter

UrsaBear

Krull wrote:

@UrsaBear I have to agree with several others here. For single-player, I would say Zelda: Breath of the Wild. For my money, it's still the best game to the hit the Switch. If you don't like exploration, action, adventure and bite-sized puzzles, but prefer a 3D platformer, then Super Mario Odyssey. If you prefer over-the-top, needlessly finicky RPGs, then Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is wonderful (but I'd still pick Zelda first!).

I don't think I've played a better online multiplayer game than Splatoon 2, but I don't do much online gaming. Alternatives would be (presumably) Smash Bros or Mario Kart 8, or one of the sports games (Fifa 19 or NBA 2K19) - but the sports games run better on other platforms.

I think I'll go with breath of the wild and smash ultimate. Thanks guys.

UrsaBear

Anti-Matter

@ReaderRagfish
I used to play Portal Knights with Ranger job (use Bow & arrow) so Long ranged weapons are my favorites.

After i watched so many Dragon Quest Builder gameplay from Youtube, actually i did like the way to build houses, furniture sets, flowers, roofs, etc. The thing that still on the fence was just that stupid hat from male player. Just get rid that stupid hat.

Fortunately, on Dragon Quest Builder 2 the male player have Blonde Saiyan hairstyle, actually i prefer that new looking than the prequel.

Btw, speaking of Terra Cognita, can i put some NPCs to my custom town ?
Would be nice to see some random activities from NPCs i put on Terra Cognita. Portal Knights have placeable NPCs too, but they did Nothing.

Anti-Matter

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic