Forums

Topic: The Switch Recommendations Thread

Posts 601 to 620 of 2,193

javman05

I'm looking for a story driven rpg guys, I've got Skyrim but find it pretty overwhelming. I really enjoyed the story aspect of tales of the abyss on 3ds so something similar would be great. Thanks

Mario/Kart/Fifa player amongst others

Add away SW-0735-9217-1217

SKTTR

@javman05 Xenoblade Chronicles X, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA, Project Octopath Traveler, Shining Resonance Refrain

Or you wait for the Tales of.. game for Switch that was one of the first announced Namco games.

Edited on by SKTTR

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

Arpie

Hello all,

I just got a Switch over the weekend and I'm looking for some games to tide me over until Travis, Pokémon and Smash later in the year. The Switch came with Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and 1 2 Switch which was great as it meant me and my wife could dive right in together. However I would like a few single player games I could sink my teeth into. I've given a list of some of my favourite games of all time (any platform) just to give a flavour of what I'm interested in which will hopefully help with recommendations.

Okami
BioShock
Goldeneye
Star Wars: Rogue Squadron
Ico
Command & Conquer: Red Alert
Rollercoaster Tycoon 3
Metroid Prime
Super Smash Brothers: Brawl
Portal
Banjo-Kazooie
Pokémon Silver

Mario Kart would be on the list but felt redundant plus I bet I've missed a load but the list isn't meant to be exhaustive. Also for a Nintendo fan I have an odd quirk in that I don't like Mario or Zelda mainline games. Mario 64 is the only Mario game I've ever really gotten into (and even then didn't complete it as it got overly repetitive) and the boredom I experienced playing Ocarina of Time seems to have put me off Zelda for life (though I will admit I've not tried one of the 2D games). This is not to say I'm not open to recommendations of Odyssey and Breath of the Wild but it would take some very compelling arguments!

Many thanks for any help.

Arpie

SKTTR

Arpie wrote:

Okami, BioShock, Goldeneye, Star Wars: Rogue Squadron, Ico, Command & Conquer: Red Alert, Rollercoaster Tycoon 3, Metroid Prime, Super Smash Brothers: Brawl, Portal, Banjo-Kazooie, Pokémon Silver.

Weird you could play through Okami but not through Zelda.
I played through every Zelda, and Okami as well (Okami HD is available on Switch), and other Zelda-like games like Ittle Dew (also available on the Switch) when I was hungry for more Zelda-like experiences.
I have to recommend Breath of the Wild still, because it is very different from any other Zelda. Note that many people who never liked Zelda at least like BotW.

I think there's no 4 player splitscreen 1st person shooter like GoldenEye on the Switch unfortunately, but you can play Splatoon 2, DOOM, Payday 2, Fortnite, and Paladins online, the last two are free downloads. Wolfenstein II also is somewhat similar to GoldenEye's single player experience. DOOM Eternal is on its way as well, and I heard THQ Nordic wants to do something with Timesplitters. DOOM has lots of Metroid Prime in it though, so you may check up on that.

For games like Star Wars: Rogue Squadron I've seen some dogfighting action on the eShop. Check out the Link and look up Flying Games: https://www.nintendolife.com/forums/nintendo-switch/all_switch...

I heard people compare Rime and Yonder The Cloud Catcher Chronicles to Ico. Maybe check them out.

Command & Conquer... Hmm, Check out 'Strategy' and 'Defense' games on the Link.

Rollercoaster Tycoon: Is announced, coming to Switch soon.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is coming to Switch in December. It will be the best game ever.

Portal.. hmm Bridge Constructor Portal for the franchise and theme, but not for the gameplay. There are some first person puzzlers out there. NeverOut, ChromaGun, NeonWall. Not my genre, sorry.

Banjo-Kazooie: Obviously Yooka-Laylee, made by the same people. And Super Mario Odyssey because it's great.

Pokémon: The new big exclusive mainline Pokémon RPG for Switch, one of my most anticipated games because I expect it to be the game that puts the Pokémon franchise in a direction that makes it fun and exciting for me, unlike the last 5 generations. Anyway, you liked Silver? Pokémon: Let's Go Pikachu/Evee is a very classic Pkmn game that comes very close to that, and it's out in a couple of months. Pokémon Quest is already out and it's "free", but the sound effects were annoying and the gameplay got me bored quickly. I think you need to pay 25 bucks to unlock everything or else the game turns into slow grind.

Edited on by SKTTR

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

toiletduck

So I'm going away next weekend with my mom, sis and husband and their 10- and 12-year olds. They're all not particularly good at gaming (read: they suck), but they really like to play the Switch. What I'm looking for is some of very casual but fun couch multiplayer action, either vs or co-op and 3 players or more. Unfortunately, Smash and Mario Party arrive a bit too late. It needs to be fun 'straight out of the box', so not too much explaining or practicing before the game 'works'.

Games I already have on offer for this purpose: MK8DX (big success), 30-in-1 Game Collection and they may enjoy Skies of Fury and FIFA. Unfortunately I've lend out Kirby (although I don't really like it, it would have probably sealed the deal for the weekend).

Edit: turns out Claws of Furry isn't out until 8sep. Nintendo screws up date translation to the Dutch website --> 9-8-'18 means August 9th here, instead of September 8th.
While I'm typing this, I notice that Claws of Furry is already out! Is that any good? I was actually going to ask whether there's something like that available because the trailer really reminded me of the NES TMNT time, but it seems to be out already. Snipperclips is also still on my shortlist, I might pick it up now. Unfortunately, it's only 2p. Somehow, Mario Tennis Aces and Bomberman don't really appeal to me, neither does Rocket League (played it a few times in the office, I really don't get how this is fun). With regard to 2D platformers, they finally somewhat get the hang of NSMB Wii, so Rayman and Sonic will probably take the entire weekend to become doable.

Any other fun couch multiplayer advice? Thanks in advance!

Edited on by toiletduck

toiletduck

Switch Friend Code: SW-2231-9448-5129

toiletduck

@baller478 Thanks, I overlooked Overcooked! I checked it before, but wasn't convinced back then. I might try again! Jackbox is not for me.

@ReaderRagfish Tetris isn't really my thing, but the fact that there's a demo helps, I'll try it!

toiletduck

toiletduck

@baller478 the Lego games are 2 player right? I already have Undercover; it is indeed easy to get into and a really fun game.

@ReaderRagfish cool thanks again

toiletduck

Coach_A

Hey guys
I'm currently in Canada (from Australia) and was wondering what North American exclusive physical titles I should keep an eye out for?

Is it just the Nicalis games?
I've already picked up Soldam and Ittle Dew 2+ during my stay.

Coach_A

link3710

I'm think Resident Evil Revelations (only the first, the second is digital download everywhere) isn't physical in PAL territories. The only other one I'm aware of is Party Planet but... yeah.

link3710

Gameplay_Matters

Hey guys, I need something new to play. I'm going on business trip tomorrow and that means I'm gonna be spending some time at airports and hotels.

Most recently played:

• Captain Toad (completed 100%)
  • Crash Bandicoot (completed 100%)
  • Hollow Knight (completed 100% and it's getting a bit too challenging for me above the point so I'm not too interested in the Godmaster DLC content)
  • DKCTF (completed 100%)

I have ordered Okami physical from Japan but it hasn't arrived yet. After Captain Toad I wouldn't mind something with a bit more action so i was thinking about:

• The Messenger. I'm not a fan of the 8 bit graphics. It was fun with Shovel Knight but the Messenger just doesn't have the charm. I also think the price is a bit too high for another Indie title.
  • Dead Cells. I'm not a fan of rogue-likes. I never finished Enter the Gungeon and it seems Dead Cells is more about the hardcore users that do speedruns and such. I am a player who likes to take his time.
  • Bayonetta 2. I would have gotten this already but I think the price is quite high. I am sure this will drop in price soon-ish so I don't want to pay full price right now.
  • Octopath Traveller. I'm not sold. I found the demo to be painfully outdated and trying too hard to be an ode to old-school RPGs. I'd rather pay 5-10 € to play the original games it mimics. Yes, it has some new features and the graphics look cool, but I really don't feel like paying full price for a game I will most probably never finish.

Speaking of which, here's my list of unfinished games:

• DOOM. It's just not as immersive as I thought. My Mac (! not gaming PC) runs this game at much better settings and resolution and has FAR SUPERIOR audio, which annoys me the most. They compressed it way too much which just doesn't make this a fun experience, IMO.
  • Dragon Quest Builders. Great game, I will finish it eventually. It's just a bit time wasting and I usually don't plan to play in bursts longer than 15mins.
  • M+RKB. I don't remember why I stopped playing but every time I look at the icon on my screen, I just don't feel like loading it up.
  • Sonic Mania. No, Sonic isn't for me. Mario all the way! Terrible controls in bonus stages, unfair deaths, annoying sound effects, ...

Games I wish were available on the Switch and that I'd play right away:
Action:

• Red Dead Redemption
  • Sleeping Dogs
  • Vanquish
  • Yakuza series

RPGs:

• Breath of Fire III + IV
  • Chrono Trigger
  • Dragon Quest series
  • Final Fantasy series
  • Jade Empire
  • Ni No Kuni
  • Skies of Arcadia
  • Suikoden series
  • Tales of Symphonia

Gameplay_Matters

EvilLucario

@Switchcraft If $50 is a bit too much for Bayonetta 2, consider picking up Bayonetta 1 which is $30 in comparison, and you'll be able to pick up Bayonetta 2 for $30 if you buy Bayonetta 1 anyway (if you bought Bayonetta 2 first, you can get Bayonetta 1 for $10 after, so the full price is for two games really). Bayonetta 1 is a lot harder than Bayonetta 2 and has a few wrinkles compared to the sequel, but it's still a fantastic, fantastic time.

Otherwise, look into Xenoblade Chronicles 2. My favorite game on the system with how much there is to do and the sheer quality of the package from combat to story to soundtrack, and while normal playthroughs are 60-70 hours, there's oodles and oodles of extra stuff to do if you so desire that can let you hit way over 100-200 hours. Worthy follow-up to Xenoblade 1 and X, even if I think X is better. Be warned that it is a slow-burn game though. The game will drastically change as you progress, as early, mid, and late-game are all extremely different from one another.

Ys VIII is also another great JRPG. Combat is a Bayonetta-lite with not as much combo potential, but as an RPG it's top-tier and also really good. Solid enough story that won't blow you away but will keep you engaged enough. Not as long as Xenoblade 2, but if you can't get into Xenoblade simply because there's too much content, Ys VIII is a lot more densely compacted and shorter, clocking in at like 40 hours for what's pretty much 100%. Unlike Xenoblade though, this game remains fairly static from beginning to end. If you don't like the first 5 hours, you won't like the next 35 hours. That'll be a positive for most, although I don't find the combat as engaging as something like Bayonetta so it hurts the experience somewhat for me.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Gameplay_Matters

@EvilLucario Thanks! I didn't know about the discounts of the Bayonetta games. Actually that makes Bayonetta 1 quite attractive for me right now.

I didn't jump on the Xenoblade 2 hype because the characters seemed a bit cringy to me. I'm not an anime fan, but I know sometimes you can't take the influence out of Japanese games. It largely depends on the humor for me. But another one who loves the game... Maybe I should reconsider.
I will weight it up against Ys VIII. That one completely slipped me by. I don't remember reading a single review about it... Cheers!

@baller478 I should have mentioned I have completed Celeste, SMO, BotW, MK8D and Overcooked. They just didn't slip into my "recently played" list. Bad North... Hmmm. I'll check it out!

Gameplay_Matters

EvilLucario

@Switchcraft If you end up passing up on Xenoblade 2 due to the characters, then I recommend you look at the prequel stand-alone expansion when that comes out next month and wait for reviews as that stars different characters and combat. For $40 ($30 if you bought it as a Season Pass) you're going to be getting what's essentially a brand new game that's supposedly going to last 40+ hours (according to the Gamescom presentation), which is pretty dang good for DLC.

Still though, I wholeheartedly recommend the base game anyway. There's a lot of good in it that outweighs any bad, and it took my personal 2017 GotY. And that's with me being a humongous Mario fan since Mario 1 DX on GBC and loving the crap out of Odyssey as well.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

RR529

Just completed the campaign in Sky Gamblers: Storm Raiders which is a cool little WWII era dogfighter.

It has a few quirks, but for it's $10 price tag I think it's a good choice if you like these kinds of games. The campaign mode will only last you a few hours at most on a single playthrough, but there are a good number of online modes (which can be played offline with bots luckily, as the online is pretty dead) to have fun with if the gameplay tickles your fancy. I put my full thoughts in it's dedicated thread & the general Switch thread.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

bixente

Switchcraft- Dead Cells isn't a roguelike, it's roguelite. I Don't like roguelikes either but I love Dead Cells because with each run you make progress and with the accumulation of cells, you're able to upgrade your character as you go, rather than starting from scratch every time. Much prefer this game to something like Isaac or Enter the Gungeon.

Edited on by bixente

Friend code

SW-0378-6005-8904

Krull

@Switchcraft I'll definitely second (or third?) the Xenoblade Chronicles 2 recommendation (155 hours or so for me) but, if you like old-school RPGs but find Octopath Traveller a bit try-hard, I'll suggest Cosmic Star Heroine. It's a breezy effort that does a better job of recapturing the magic of Chrono Trigger and other 16-bit JRPGs than anything from Tokyo RPG Factory.

Switch ID: 5948-6652-1589
3DS ID: 2492-5142-7789

Qwertyninty

Need some recommendations for a new switch game. Thinking of grabbing gun gore and cannoli. Not sure though.

Qwertyninty

bluemage1989

@Switchcraft I preferred the first Bayonetta myself but I think the second is still an excellent game.

Fallout Shelter is decent for a free game nothing lost by giving it a go.

If your looking for something chill I'd recommend A Night in the Woods.

I've been enjoying Sushi Striker a lot lately worth looking in to. Can always try the demo first.

Sleep mode is great in that it males it possible to play just about any game in short bursts.

bluemage1989

HobbitGamer

If anyone enjoys BASIC language logic ( IF, THEN, DO), then Human Resource Manager is very fun and can be a challenge to get 100%

EDIT; Didn’t want to double post. I just saw that the two Frederic games are on a huge sale ($0.49 & $0.59). Has anyone played them, that would recommend grabbing them? I read the reviews, but I’m still on the fence. I liked the demo for Deemo and I enjoy EBA and Rhythm Heaven.

If it’s worth it, I’ll buy in the AM before heading to the office. And yes, I know that’s only a dollar, but I’m particular Thanks y’all!

Edited on by HobbitGamer

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

judaspete

One Strike is currently $0.99. Should I get it? I like Divekick well enough, and they seem like a similar concept.

judaspete

My Nintendo: judaspete | Nintendo Network ID: judaspete

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic