Forums

Topic: The Switch Recommendations Thread

Posts 641 to 660 of 2,207

Dilly_D_Williams

I have had my Switch now for a little while. I am playing through BOTW, Mario Odyssey, Hollow Knight, and Stardew Valley. I am wanting to look into a good pick up and play RPG. I have looked at Octopath and Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Any help would be helpful. Thanks.

Dilly_D_Williams

RR529

@Anti-Matter, I'm playing through DQB now.

Starting with chapter 2, you do learn to make ranged weapons (Throwing Stones & Throwing Knives in chapter 2 and Fire & Ice magic projectiles in chapter 3).

As for the free building mode (Terra Incognita), it has five save slots, so you can have up to five different worlds (of note however, is that the world isn't randomly generated, so you'll have the same materials in the same spots on each save).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Anti-Matter

@RR529
I have tried the Demo version from e-shop just now.
The thing i noticed first was the smoothness of tree leaves that looked better than Portal Knights (Well of course, AAA developer vs. Indie developer quality).
Then i noticed the game was running on 30 - 40 fps ??

Also, the using of Left Analog was only for character moves, not for scrolling the Menu when i press A button. Is there any custom Button for specific action, because Portal Knights can do that ?

And.... is there any way to Restore the Durability of weapons / Tools ?
I cannot imagine if i have to lost precious weapons and there is NO Grind Stone to Repair the Durability of weapons / tools.

Also, is Character's Speed movement depend on their Level + equipments they wear because i noticed on Youtube, the character can run faster with specific equipments. Is being naked will make character run faster ? (Well.... the boy character need some exercise because his body didn't have any proper six packs tough.... )

Edited on by Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

ViewtifulJohtun

@Dilly_D_Williams I've not played Xeno but I am loving Octopath. Great for completing a chapter in one sitting if you can't fit in long sessions and a great depth to the battles. Personally I love the 8 individual stories instead of one big saga approach too.

ViewtifulJohtun

rallydefault

Guys, any opinions: I'm an action/platformer guy and I'm between Hyper Light Drifter or Dead Cells. What would you recommend more? From what I can tell, Hyper Light doesn't really have platforming, per say - moreso twitch action.

rallydefault

SalviPapi

So I'm going to be doing a 12 hour stream later this week for spooky season and reaching affiliate. At the moment I'm going thinking of playing Resident Evil Revelations. Keep in mind I never played more than 3 hours on RE game and know little to nothing. Since I'm trying to keep that "spooky" mood what other games on the Nintendo Switch would you guys recommend that can fit that criteria? Oh and if it helps I'm doing a full playthrough of the game so it can be something short and sweet or a game with a good campaign, storyline, characters etc.

Peace, Love, & Positivity

Switch Friend Code: SW-0696-2316-9892 | Twitter:

BrainOfGrimlock

@Dilly_D_Williams I've finished Octopath and can't speak highly enough of it, however I saw in the Octopath thread that you haven't played a ton of JRPG's so might be worthwhile checking demo out first? I've not actually played XC2/Torna yet (they're on the list for one day!) but there's quite a few good RPG's you can look at, obviously finding the one that suits your preference (combat/narrative/characters/action/turn-based) is the more difficult bit - couple of alternative suggestions (and again, some of these are JRPGs - but some have demos available - so buyer beware, I love them so easy for me to rec etc);

Undertale
The world ends with you (not played this myself yet as suspect about the controls but check the reviews - seems very unique)
Battle Chasers
Cosmic Star Heroine
Valkyria Chronicles/VC4 - not technically RPGs but have a lot of the same mechanics, albeit a tactical mission/battle system. Demo for 4 is available

To a lesser extent (either niche, old school or 'decent, rather than amazing' games)
Romancing Saga
Disgea 5/Disgea 1
I am Setsuna
Lost Sphear
Earthlock

Of course failing that you could always buy/play Skyrim again

BrainOfGrimlock

BrainOfGrimlock

@rallydefault not played either as yet (definitely picking up Dead Cells in future though) so can't steer you on that, but if it's not set in stone that it has to be one of those & that's the genre you're looking for have you played/already ruled out Hollow Knight? It came down to a coin toss between Hollow Knight and Dead Cells for me for what to play next and was advised to go Hollow first - thoroughly enjoying it so far too so just paying the rec forward!

BrainOfGrimlock

RR529

@Dilly_D_Williams, @BrainOfGrimlock, there's also Ys VIII, the two South Park games, Dragon Quest Builders, and Tales of Vesperia Definitive Edition (in January) for highly regarded RPGs, and Atelier Lydie & Suelle, Shining Resonance Refrain, the Lost Child, & Labyrinth of Refrain for more niche/second string options.

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

FaeKnight

Looking forwards, I've been trying to decide the next game I'll play. Right now I think I've narrowed things down to Mario Odyssey, Dark Souls Remastered, and Bayonetta 2 (which does come with the first game as well). I'd consider getting a jrpg or two as well, but I'm kind of holding out for the Final Fantasy series Switch releases. Anyway, I can't decide between the games, but should only get one of them for now.

My question would thus be the following: Which one would people recommend over the others, and why?

FaeKnight

Switch Friend Code: SW-6813-5901-0801 | Twitter:

BrainOfGrimlock

@FaeKnight well having not played either Odyssey or Bayonetta 2 I normally would suggest I’m not best placed to help, but given the timing/eclectic style of games and that you’ve played Dark Souls before (assuming that based on helpful tips in the thread) is it a case of heart wanting Dark Souls but head saying you should go with something you haven’t played before?

Probably a big reach on my part but I’ve been there if so, sometimes i’ll find i’m playing a game whilst thinking of another; long run it’s just best to go with your gut, even if that means - in my case at least - grinding yet another rift on Diablo 3/yet another Dark Souls playthrough/yet another warriors game etc.

New stuff can be exciting but sometimes the familiar scratches the itch more, hence why we all watch movie repeats so often

If it’s not ‘Dark Souls justification’ then go Bayonetta - I actually liked the first game and like to see it supported

BrainOfGrimlock

FaeKnight

I got Dark Souls for 360 as one of the free games, and it's a decent game. Brutally hard, but rather satisfying when you do manage to make progress. Similarly, I got Bayonetta 1 as a free game on 360 and it's also a good game, but I consider Devil May Cry to be the superior game. Yes, even DMC2, the weakest of the series. Even so, I've found myself considering getting them. And getting Bayonetta 1 and 2 for the price of one game is so tempting. At the same time, Mario Odyssey is one of the reasons I even bought a Switch to begin with. I just haven't gotten around to buying it.

But next month I can only afford to get myself one full price game.

FaeKnight

Switch Friend Code: SW-6813-5901-0801 | Twitter:

BrainOfGrimlock

@FaeKnight well having read that reasoning I reckon you HAVE to get Odyssey then?

Save your Bayonetta cash for when 3 comes calling & they (possibly) drop the price, and you’ve played Dark Souls so it can wait - go goomba stacking instead!

BrainOfGrimlock

bluemage1989

Anyone have something to say on Legendary Fishing?? Worth getting or wait for one of the other fishing titles coming soon??

bluemage1989

Tasuki

So besides Pinball FX is there any other pinball games on the Switch? I want a Pinball game to play on the go for a when I have to go outta town in a few weeks for work.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

RR529

@Tasuki, Stern Pinball Arcade, the Pinball Arcade (they still have Stern, Gottlieb, and they've picked up some other new license), Zaccaria Pinball, and the individually released, but very generic EnJoy Up tables (Jurassic Pinball, Mummy Pinball, Halloween Pinball, etc.) for more traditional fare.

For more video gamey pinball (more akin to Sonic Spinball) you have Yoku's Island Express & Momoga Pinball Adventures.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Quarth

@Tasuki If you want a pinball game that’s also a metroidvania, check out Yoku’s Island Express! It’s a game oozing with charm. Lovely stuff!

Friend code: SW-3941-9887-2293

Zaine10

Hello peoplez, I rarely post on him I just like to read what other people are thinking but I wanna get a little more involved. Do I just beat Valkyria Chronicles 4, I need something else to play... any recommendations?

Zaine10

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic