Forums

Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Posts 1,601 to 1,620 of 15,210

Eel

Netflix.

Anyway, Zelda U. What music instrument or gimmick do you think this one will have?

I hope they decide to use the classic Recorder somehow.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Haru17

MorphMarron wrote:

Netflix.

Anyway, Zelda U. What music instrument or gimmick do you think this one will have?

I hope they decide to use the classic Recorder somehow.

I'm tired of the gimmicks be they flute, harp, or what have you. I'd be a fan of just going back to the classic Ocarina, or any of the different forms' instruments in Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess. The wolf's howl was particularly beautiful and underused. I really like the idea of the same songs sounding different on different instruments (whether or not that makes sense from a musician's perspective).

The Wind Waker was a good-un too. I think it's important that we're able to walk while playing the instrument (maybe not the goron drums, wolf's howl, or deku pipes, though). That could be neat.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Haiassai

Wait... are people REALLY choosing MIDI over real instruments. Guys... using a symphony isn't the only other option than MIDI. There are small ensembles. Woodwind choirs. Pierrot Ensembles. There's a WEALTH of options. MIDI is and has always been a weak sound. It was a great option when people didn't have the power to run real instruments, but you can be creative with REAL instruments.

Haiassai

3DS Friend Code: 5300-9678-4406 | Nintendo Network ID: Haiassai | Twitter:

iKhan

Haiassai wrote:

Wait... are people REALLY choosing MIDI over real instruments. Guys... using a symphony isn't the only other option than MIDI. There are small ensembles. Woodwind choirs. Pierrot Ensembles. There's a WEALTH of options. MIDI is and has always been a weak sound. It was a great option when people didn't have the power to run real instruments, but you can be creative with REAL instruments.

No. I'm just saying TP's use of midi worked out better that SS's use of orchestra. An ideal soundtrack mixes and matches for a desired sound. Mario Galaxy is the best example of that.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Haiassai

Haru17 wrote:

I'm tired of the gimmicks be they flute, harp, or what have you. I'd be a fan of just going back to the classic Ocarina, or any of the different forms' instruments in Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess. The wolf's howl was particularly beautiful and underused. I really like the idea of the same songs sounding different on different instruments (whether or not that makes sense from a musician's perspective).

The Wind Waker was a good-un too. I think it's important that we're able to walk while playing the instrument (maybe not the goron drums, wolf's howl, or deku pipes, though). That could be neat.

Whatever they do, it should be used well. I cared very little about the howl. Maybe if they used it more, it'd have more meaning, but it felt like they placed it in JUST for the sake of having a musical instrument. The Wind Waker, as well... whyyyy? A conductor cannot make sound by changing the where his/her hand is placed. It makes no musical sense. I haven't played SS, so I have no thoughts.

I love it when music is tied in with these kinds of games. I would like them to build upon (either in forward or retro motion) earlier used instruments. I loved that they used the same ocarina in both OoT and MM [and, I suppose ALttP]. It gave the instrument a legacy. I hope they build off that idea.

Haiassai

Haiassai

iKhan wrote:

Haiassai wrote:

No. I'm just saying TP's use of midi worked out better that SS's use of orchestra. An ideal soundtrack mixes and matches for a desired sound. Mario Galaxy is the best example of that.

I loved TP's soundtrack, but hated so much of the MIDI sound. I hate those Choir Oohs. Maybe it's because I work so much with them on Finale that I get so tired of them. [They're also terribly out of tune]. I would've loved to hear real instruments for TP's sound track, personally. I have yet to play Mario Galaxy, though I hear the music is delightful. And I know interweaving both can have a good effect. Maybe I'm a snob, but I still prefer real instruments any day. If they want to create unique sounds, why not use a real instrument and alter the soundwave rather than use a MIDI?

Haiassai

Blast

I bet Link starts singing in Zelda U!

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

Haru17

Haiassai wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

Whatever they do, it should be used well. I cared very little about the howl. Maybe if they used it more, it'd have more meaning, but it felt like they placed it in JUST for the sake of having a musical instrument. The Wind Waker, as well... whyyyy? A conductor cannot make sound by changing the where his/her hand is placed. It makes no musical sense. I haven't played SS, so I have no thoughts.

I love it when music is tied in with these kinds of games. I would like them to build upon (either in forward or retro motion) earlier used instruments. I loved that they used the same ocarina in both OoT and MM [and, I suppose ALttP]. It gave the instrument a legacy. I hope they build off that idea.

I think you are missing the most unrealistic part of that MAGICAL INSTRUMENT, namely, THE PART WHERE YOU MAGICALLY CONTROL THE WIND:

Untitled

Honorable mention goes to time travel and telekinesis.

Lol, anyway I was talking about the instruments from a gameplay perspective. The Spirit Flute and Goddess' Harp were not fun or interesting mechanics, the Ocarina, Wind Waker, and wolf's howl were (even if the howl was way underused, it was fun to play songs in those few instances).

I don't know if Nintendo can really do some Rocksmith type verisimilitude with the game. They'd have to get real clever with the gamepad and I don't think that could simulate a real instrument well.

That just hit me; the gamepad. OF COURSE they have to do some cutsy Miyamoto crap with the gamepad. So it'll probably be the bloody harp again sigh.

Eel

Yeah, and even then, for all we know the sounds it makes could be just a gameplay feedback for us and not really even there.

Or just the sound of wind being magical.

Bloop.

Haru17

Haiassai wrote:

iKhan wrote:

Haiassai wrote:

I loved TP's soundtrack, but hated so much of the MIDI sound. I hate those Choir Oohs. Maybe it's because I work so much with them on Finale that I get so tired of them. [They're also terribly out of tune]. I would've loved to hear real instruments for TP's sound track, personally.

I loved that kind of choir sound in TP, though I agree that it has aged and can be improved upon. I love that emotional, unintelligible singing (to English speakers). Just listen to this song (which is a real recording, I believe) and imagine what that could do for Zelda: https://youtu.be/ddys8Rb5jDg

Haiassai

Haru17 wrote:

Haiassai wrote:

I loved TP's soundtrack, but hated so much of the MIDI sound. I hate those Choir Oohs. Maybe it's because I work so much with them on Finale that I get so tired of them. [They're also terribly out of tune]. I would've loved to hear real instruments for TP's sound track, personally.

I loved that kind of choir sound in TP, though I agree that it has aged and can be improved upon. I love that emotional, unintelligible singing (to English speakers). Just listen to this song (which is a real recording, I believe) and imagine what that could do for Zelda: https://youtu.be/ddys8Rb5jDg

They aren't singing unintelligibly—they're just singing "ohs." I do find it funny that some people enjoy it. Whenever I'm composing something for choir, I always switch out choir oohs with MIDI clarinets. Much more pleasant... and it sounds like the Shire!

Listening to that track, i fully agree! I'd love to see how the composer for this title pushes the limits for this soundtrack! And... heck. Why can't Aonuma just create the Hylian language already so it'd be unintelligible for all tongues!

Haiassai

Eel

The King and other creatures actually speak Hylian in Wind Waker.

ahbahaha whowoho howowhahoho

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

Haiassai

Haru17 wrote:

I think you are missing the most unrealistic part of that MAGICAL INSTRUMENT, namely, THE PART WHERE YOU MAGICALLY CONTROL THE WIND:

Untitled

Honorable mention goes to time travel and telekinesis.

Lol, anyway I was talking about the instruments from a gameplay perspective. The Spirit Flute and Goddess' Harp were not fun or interesting mechanics, the Ocarina, Wind Waker, and wolf's howl were (even if the howl was way underused, it was fun to play songs in those few instances).

I don't know if Nintendo can really do some Rocksmith type verisimilitude with the game. They'd have to get real clever with the gamepad and I don't think that could simulate a real instrument well.

That just hit me; the gamepad. OF COURSE they have to do some cutsy Miyamoto crap with the gamepad. So it'll probably be the bloody harp again sigh.

The sass from your comment fits the sass from your Korra avatar

But for realsies: magic doesn't mean you throw out physics and musicality! Gah. I loved WW, but that disturbed me so much. Moving your hand up doesn't change the pitch of wind >:T It means you're at beat 4! They should've given Link's left hand a signal for pitch control while the right hand marks the beat.

And the cool thing about the gamepad... if there is an instrument, at least we can use the instrument properly. I loved OoT, but i'd rather emulate real ocarina playing v. C-buttons

Haiassai

Haiassai

MorphMarron wrote:

The King and other creatures actually speak Hylian in Wind Waker.

ahbahaha whowoho howowhahoho

Great! We have a foundation

Haiassai

Haru17

[quote=Haiassai]

Haru17 wrote:

They aren't singing unintelligibly—they're just singing "ohs." I do find it funny that some people enjoy it. Whenever I'm composing something for choir, I always switch out choir oohs with MIDI clarinets. Much more pleasant... and it sounds like the Shire!

Listening to that track, i fully agree! I'd love to see how the composer for this title pushes the limits for this soundtrack! And... heck. Why can't Aonuma just create the Hylian language already so it'd be unintelligible for all tongues!

Eeeh, I'm not sure clarinets could have the same sort of emotion as just amazing singers can in that particular moment of the song. I dunno, not a musician, you probably know better.

But about the gamepad harp, how would that even work? It's only a single-touch touch screen so we'd have to strum a single string at a time. God, that sounds awful. Please, please Miyamoto, mercy. Just let it be buttons again. I just want buttons again... (rocks back and forth, sobbing, in the fetal position)

Edited on by Haru17

Haiassai

Haru17 wrote:

Eeeh, I'm not sure clarinets could have the same sort of emotion as just amazing singers can in that particular moment of the song. I dunno, not a musician, you probably know better.

But about the gamepad harp, how would that even work? It's only a single-touch touch screen so we'd have to strum a single string at a time. God, that sounds awful. Please, please Miyamoto, mercy. Just let it be buttons again. I just want buttons again... (rocks back and forth, sobbing, in the fetal position)

Oh choir for a final product should NEVER be replaced by clarinets. However, those Choir Oohs get out of tune really easily. So when all you're hearing for 5 days straight is Choir Oohs for edits... it's more pleasing to put on MIDI clarinets.

As far as the gamepad... yeah. Single point touch screen does make things... difficult...
...hm. Maybe one sound is with the touch screen, another with the L-Stick?

Haiassai

Haru17

MorphMarron wrote:

Maybe link will carry around a magical Keyboard of <Something>

Not to always be on the subject of Monster Hunter, but we can only hope it'll be as awesome as the hunting horn;

Untitled

Haiassai wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

Oh choir for a final product should NEVER be replaced by clarinets. However, those Choir Oohs get out of tune really easily. So when all you're hearing for 5 days straight is Choir Oohs for edits... it's more pleasing to put on MIDI clarinets.

As far as the gamepad... yeah. Single point touch screen does make things... difficult...
...hm. Maybe one sound is with the touch screen, another with the L-Stick?

Oh, ok, I understand you now. My editing software expertise is with inDesign for a newspaper and I craft all sorts of fun placeholder headlines, lol.

Does the L stick make Link move his hand like with the Wind Waker?

Edited on by Haru17

Haiassai

Whatever the instrument is, it should fit the medium of the world. I think a horn would be really cool. Air flow with analogue stick to alter the partials and touch screen for the valves!

Haiassai

Haru17

Haiassai wrote:

Whatever the instrument is, it should fit the medium of the world. I think a horn would be really cool. Air flow with analogue stick to alter the partials and touch screen for the valves!

The important thing about the horn is that you get to hit people with it (it never loses its tune) and it makes notes as you swing it around XD

Anyway, I'd love for Zelda music to totally pull off a radically different style of music. There'll always be the classic classical-style sound, but what if the next game's theme was Jrock or electronic? That could be really amazing if it sounds good and fits with the rest of the game and its soundtrack.

Edited on by Haru17

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic