Forums

Topic: Stuck at 480p

Posts 1 to 20 of 41

Limited

Hi everyone!

I've read through pretty much all issues relating to Switch not being able to provide more than 480p output in docked mode and am yet to come to a solution. Here's a brief rundown of my story so far ...

(using an older Panasonic 1080p TV)
Bought the Switch, updated to 5.0.1, never had the option to output anything other than 'automatic' and 480p.

did a factory reset

Went back to the store to try and hook it up to a newer gen TV. Surprisingly, the thing worked and I "unlocked" all output resolutions.
When I came back home, everything worked just fine (manually set it to 1080p and kept it there) for a while. After less than a week the Switch stopped outputting at 1080p and reverted back to 480p, eventhough it was still set to 1080p. No means helped the issue — undocking, power cycling, TV settings, cable swaps, nothing ... so I did another factory reset and got stuck at "automatic" and 480p again.

Of course, went back to the shop and as soon as I connected it there, the thing worked as intended again!!
(same scenario when coming home, and again, less than a week passed and it reverted to 480p signal send...)

In the meantime, I've bought a Sony XE8005 TV ... and guess what — I'm still at 480p!
To be fair, that should NOT happen and there isn't a thing/procedure I haven't tried, both at home and work to get this nightmare over. (at least, to my knowledge)

So ... any ideas, new methods I could try?
Also, I'm running the latest firmware, stock dock, etc.

Many thanks in advance!

Limited

Yoshi

When you went to try hooking up your Switch at the store, did you use your own dock, or did you use one they had there? It's possible that your dock might be malfunctioning.

Formally called brewsky before becoming the lovable, adorable Yoshi.
Now playing:
Final Fantasy XIV (PC) | The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Switch) | Celeste (Switch)

Nintendo Network ID: brewsky93

Limited

@Yoshi

Hey!

Everything I used there, apart from their TV and power were my accessories; so dock and all original cables/adapter.

That way I excluded both the dock and console itself, along with all the wiring; unless there's something funky going on with dock electronics; but again, that wouldn't explain why it works so automagically, just not at my home.

... and you'd think a really new and good TV would kinda fix the issue.

Oh yeah, I've also tried various power outlets and what-not, to no avail.

Frankly, I'm nervous as hell, not because it doesn't work, but because I don't know why it doesn't work as intended.

Limited

Yoshi

Oof, I'm not sure what the issue could be then. It really does seem like you've done everything under the sun. Maybe try giving Nintendo a call and see what they say?

Formally called brewsky before becoming the lovable, adorable Yoshi.
Now playing:
Final Fantasy XIV (PC) | The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Switch) | Celeste (Switch)

Nintendo Network ID: brewsky93

Limited

@Yoshi

Hmm, local Nintendo support is lackluster at best around my parts. I contacted UK support, they redirected me to Georgia (the country) and I live in Croatia, so go figure.

It's either a complex issue, or a completely [removed] one. I'm sure there's at least one more person out there that had or has the same issue, so ...

Please mind your language - Octane

Edited on by Octane

Limited

HobbitGamer

Is it a situation where you can just return the item under a 30-day warranty to the retailer?
And have you tried changing the Switch's tv settings while in handheld, then docking? It's got something to do with the handoff, for sure.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

OorWullie

Sounds obvious but have you tried using a different HDMI port? I don't think it's a damaged dock or problem with the TV, sounds like something simple you're overlooking.

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

Limited

HobbitGamer wrote:

Is it a situation where you can just return the item under a 30-day warranty to the retailer?
And have you tried changing the Switch's tv settings while in handheld, then docking? It's got something to do with the handoff, for sure.

I'm passed the 14-day return policy with no questions asked; all I can do is to hand the device over to their "service" and wait for them to come up with something like "working as intended" or "here's a new console for you" ... in first case, I'd probably end up with the same problem, with the device working as intended while with them, and not at my home for some odd reason.

As for the TV output options on the Switch, I only have "automatic" and "480p" available; it's like the console isn't sensing compatibility, hence not "pulling" available info from EDID, which, frankly, sounds idiotic from my experience, so must be something either very complex or stupid simple.

Thanks for your input, nonetheless.

Limited

Limited

OorWullie wrote:

Sounds obvious but have you tried using a different HDMI port? I don't think it's a damaged dock or problem with the TV, sounds like something simple you're overlooking.

I've tried all HDMI ports on the old TV and all HDMI ports on the new Sony; I even tried pairing with an older 720p TV, but also to no avail (was worth a try).

Like I said, the dock works fine, it charges and outputs, but there seems to be a problem with device communication or something that's in the way.

... and the most odd part is that it works just fine every time I bring it to their shop; and no, I really don't feel like going there again just to prove if I can't get it working on a brand new TV and a console that's barely two months old.

Come to think of it, might be a problem with BraviaSync or equiv., but again, you'd think things would work out of the box these days.

Sidenote: I ordered an AudioQuest HDMI premium cable, just to be sure it's not cable related, eventhough it's been tested to work with the original included HDMI cable.

Thanks for your input!

Limited

Trajan

I've had my switch have the tv display in 4:3 randomly. I just turned both off and turned them back on and it was back to normal.

Sakurai: Which is why I think we should forget about console wars and focus on what’s really important: enjoying the games themselves.

"If we did this (mobile games), Nintendo would cease to be Nintendo." - Iwata

Limited

@Trajan
Hehe, yeah, I get ya, and lucky you! ... I made radical moves to no avail.
I'll see if the new cable helps at all (waiting on delivery), but until then, please keep your ideas coming.

Limited

DanteSolablood

Another possibility is trying a different HDMI cable, a damaged cable may cause data to be transmitted incorrectly. If the issue resolved when you were in the store, it might be worth trying to break the issue down into it's separate components - i.e. dock, cables, inputs, etc.

Danté: Old, cool & wise (the latter two are lies)
3DS FC: 1461-6243-5395
Switch FC: SW-4146-5915-6308
"Friendship is rare, hand me that shotgun buddy, hand me that chair."

Twitter:

Limited

Yosheel wrote:

Have you tried plugging it to a different power source...?

I have, indeed, nothing.

DanteSolablood wrote:

Another possibility is trying a different HDMI cable, a damaged cable may cause data to be transmitted incorrectly. If the issue resolved when you were in the store, it might be worth trying to break the issue down into it's separate components - i.e. dock, cables, inputs, etc.

Yeah, new premium cable should be available tomorrow and I'll report back with the results.
As for breaking it down - that's the thing; everything works there, regardless of "cable insertion order" or whatever, if the TV is on, off, Switch on or off, docked or docked at a later point. Basically, works as intended in that case.

I'm really stupified by this issue.

Aye, that was one of the first things I read through, and some of the options there aren't even available to me, such as having the option to switch resolutions in handheld mode ... meh.

Limited

Limited

Update:

Got the new cable connected, persistent issue that's driving me insane!

I'm out of ideas, to be honest.

Limited

Limited

Meh, I'm taking it into service today, let them deal with it; I'm just curious as to what they find out/tell me.

Come to think of it, one thing that did pop up in my mind while thinking about the issue is the fact that they most likely (well, 99%) use HDMI splitters in their shop. That would probably resolve some odd HDCP issues and make the Switch "work as intended". That's the only leftover idea I had, but will pursue the matter at a later date, depending on what happens after the "service".

Stay tuned.

Limited

Limited

Hey peeps!

After some wait, the info is in.
Apparently, the console itself was the fault for some reason (they didn't go into details, which I guess is fine for most people) and I should be getting a brand new replacement by the end of the week.

Fingers crossed this one turns out to be in good shape!

Limited

Heavyarms55

@Limited That's really odd. It must have been some kind of weird manufacturing defect.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic