Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Online Subscription Service Thread

Posts 1,221 to 1,240 of 2,232

farrgazer

@SmaggTheSmug

Regarding transferring saves, yes with exceptions. Some games like Pokémon (any) do not allow cloud saving.

No comment on the family account question, as I have no experience with it.

farrgazer

SmaggTheSmug

Adding to my question about family membership: it doesn't let two systems play the same game at the same time? So even if the main account holder buys Minecraft and a child account logs in on a switch lite, they can't play together using the family plan unless the game is bought twice? Because that makes the family plan pretty much pointless.

SmaggTheSmug

Twitter:

redd214

@SmaggTheSmug that is correct. It's pretty ridiculous as every other major company allows this (Sony, MS, even Google) but Nintendo does not. I've held off of buying quite a few games on Switch because of it unfortunately.

redd214

Eel

I'm pretty sure my brother and I can play Minecraft together with the same family membership (using our own separate copies of the game). You must make sure every account is part of the family plan, just being on the same switch is not the same as being part of your family group.

On the subject of sharing games between accounts, you can only share games from "primary" accounts, if your account has the current switch set as its primary console, then everyone playing there can share that game. If it's not the primary console, then the system will limit usage to just the one account that actually owns the game.

And about save files, you can manually transfer save files between systems as much as you like via the system menu. You don't need a subscription, and you can transfer files for all games, not just the ones with online backups.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Cotillion

StableInvadeel wrote:

If it's not the primary console, then the system will limit usage to just the one account that actually owns the game.

Seriously? I was considering a second Switch at Xmas for the kids to have their own on the basis that they could still play the digital games I bought using the family account but under their own profiles.
If this isn't the case, I'm not buying a second one.

Cotillion

Eel

This is kinda how every current console handles multiple systems as far as I know.

Otherwise they might as well just give you unlimited copies of the game to gift around.

Bloop.

redd214

@StableInvadeel that is wrong. I've had 2 ps4s for over 5 years now and have never had an issue playing a purchased digital game on both simultaneously, with different accounts. On ps4 its limited to 2 systems concurrently. From what I know it's the same on Xbox. Nintendo is the odd one out unfortunately.

Edited on by redd214

redd214

Cotillion

I've looked more into this since reading this, seems you can play simultaneously on 2 Switches, but you have to do it weirdly.
You have the person who doesn't own the game fire it up on the primary with their account. You fire it up on the secondary with your account. Then you're both playing the same game with one license (unless this has been patched out since the article I read it on).

So, it sounds like basically if I wanted to get my kids one, I'd have to give them mine and keep it the primary, while the new one would be mine and we could share digital content.
Can anyone confirm this works?

Cotillion

Eel

That should work, I think. Can't really test it right now though.

It could also work playing with the same account but the primary console would need to offline.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

SmaggTheSmug

@Cotillion And you can't play the same game online with that workaround. Which comes back to my Minecraft example.
I am starting to regret our decision to get a second Switch. At least we will have Pokemon.

SmaggTheSmug

Twitter:

redd214

@SmaggTheSmug yeah it does suck. There is no workaround that solves it despite all the above suggestions.

For those still confused, Currently there is NO method to play a digital game TOGETHER on 2 sperate systems unless you purchase 2 copies of that game. It absolutely should be possible as it works on other systems (even the 3ds I think, not sure though). If there's 2 Switeches connected to the same family account on the same exact wifi network there's no technical reason why it can't happen.

Really goes against Nintendos desire for "everyone in the house to have a switch". Can't speak for anyone else but it has made me not purchase games because of it, Splatoon 2 comes to mind instantly.

redd214

Eel

The 3DS didn't even let you have the same account on two systems.

Anyway, at least on Xbox the system seems pretty much the same as on switch, from what I could find online.

It's just a bit odd to make a big deal that Nintendo won't let you give full simultaneous access to all your digital content to your entire family, because it's something they never really claimed.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

redd214

@StableInvadeel it's not odd when other systems have allowed it for over a decade now and given their stance on wanting multiple switches in a home. I'm not saying you should be able to game share with 5 or 6 other people but 2 come on,thats not u reasonable at all imo.

And with the 3ds I was more so referring to the "Download play" feature which is essentially the same thing.

redd214

Eel

That was entirely software based, and the switch is more than capable of it, the big difference now, is the file size of the games.

It's not like you can get away with sending a 6mb file to play multiplayer now. It's simply not as convenient anymore. It was a really falling into disuse on the 3DS, too.

But some games do make it available, some even give you a free download you can keep on the switch, like Pacman and Wolfenstein. But just like download play on the DS and 3DS, it's entirely up to the developer.

An interesting case is Cluedo on the switch, there the free download version for multiplayer is actually for your phone, not your switch.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

Cotillion

@SmaggTheSmug Was that fixed recently? I saw a site claiming you could play the same game at the same time as long as the non-owner was on the primary using their own account and the owner was on the secondary using the primary account.

This has really made me consider not getting a second one now . It really does go against them wanting everyone to have their own Switch in a household. I'm not buying Mario Kart 8D three more times if all my kids eventually have their own Switch. Just doesn't make sense to buy more when there's so many limitations and it's just easier to leave it on the dock so they can all play together on the TV instead. One of them has been making noise about a PS4, so maybe I'll go that route for Xmas instead

Cotillion

Eel

I'd say having multiples of any console in a single household is more for homes with gamers that can pay for their own games, or with parents that can afford buying the same game multiple times for their kids.

You can find legit workarounds for all the consoles with account systems that let you login on multiple systems, but none of them will give you "unlimited family access", like android and iOS do with their family groups (and even on those you can't share dlc and in-game subscriptions, only fully-paid-for games).

With handhelds, it used to feel less expensive; because it used to be, litrerally. But now the current hot handheld has fancy graphics and expensive media, too.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

DannyBoi

I wonder when Nintendo are going to announce the next NES and SNES games coming to Nintendo switch online? They said more would be added in October.

Destiny, justice and retribrution will be mine.

Sunsy

@DannyBoi They mentioned awhile back that games are no longer going to be added monthly. The games could be added irregularly and could be added at any time. I guess we have to wait and see.

Edited on by Sunsy

The resident Trolls superfan! Saw Trolls Band Together via early access and absolutely loved it!

Magician

I'm 20 hours into Super Kirby Clash now. I had no clue I'd enjoy a boss rush mode quite this much. But then I am a sucker for rpg mechanics, and the gear progression here has me hooked. Now I'm trying to decide if I want to throw more gold coins at this or bottle those coins to get the DLC for Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3?

Switch Physical Collection - 1,251 games (as of April 24th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

WoomyNNYes

@DannyBoi I think, the longer they wait to add new Switch Online games, the more likely it is they may put some out in early mid december.

Extreme bicycle rider (<--Link to a favorite bike video)
'Tendo liker

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic